FTB Stats: The First Two Months (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, February 20, 2015, 12:52 (3374 days ago)

Well, it seems that the Fireteam Builder has been a success, which makes me very happy! We're just about two months in (57 days) and we have yet to go a day without at least one event on the board. I pulled some stats this morning just to see what they looked like, and I thought I'd share the data.

I'm looking forward to developing this tool further and making it a staple of the "DBO Experience." As always, I'm always listening for feedback, so let me know if there's anything you'd like to see in the FTB!

Fireteam Builder (The first two-ish months):

• Total Events Created: 249
  • Total Events Created, but not deleted: 204*
  • Average Events per Day: 3.58

Events by Type:
[image]

Events by Day of Week (calculated as PST):
[image]

Events by Platform:
[image]

* A couple dozen early events were created and deleted as part of testing the system to make sure things were working properly. Deleted events aren't counted in these stats.

FTB Stats: The First Two Months

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Friday, February 20, 2015, 12:56 (3374 days ago) @ Beorn

This is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

(Poor, poor PS3.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:20 (3374 days ago) @ Dagoonite

This is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

(Poor, poor PS3.)

I remember one PS3 event for the middle of a weekday. I offered to participate if he'd move the time.

Must have been deleted

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:27 (3374 days ago) @ Kermit

I remember one PS3 event for the middle of a weekday. I offered to participate if he'd move the time.

Yeah, I remember that event, as well. It must have been deleted before the event started.

Not particularly surprised that there aren't any PS3 events on here. I can't imagine the PS3 population is very large, especially among this crowd.

Must have been deleted

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:06 (3373 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah, I remember that event, as well. It must have been deleted before the event started.

Not particularly surprised that there aren't any PS3 events on here. I can't imagine the PS3 population is very large, especially among this crowd.

Me either. I felt sorry for that guy. Hope he bought the digital version so someday he can upgrade for free.

Who the heck created and deleted 45 entires? ;)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:13 (3374 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Who the heck created and deleted 45 entires? ;)

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, February 20, 2015, 16:05 (3373 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I made at least 1, maybe 3.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:18 (3374 days ago) @ Beorn

Yea man this tool is a great idea. It's probably a good enough piece of code that if you made it expandable you could sell it to other sites.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:22 (3374 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yea man this tool is a great idea. It's probably a good enough piece of code that if you made it expandable you could sell it to other sites.

What he said.

You solved a problem that we knew was going exist before Destiny launched, and you solved it nearly perfectly, in my opinion.

Best of all, I think it's made friendships in the community, which is awesome.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, February 20, 2015, 13:26 (3374 days ago) @ Kermit

What he said.

You solved a problem that we knew was going exist before Destiny launched, and you solved it nearly perfectly, in my opinion.

Best of all, I think it's made friendships in the community, which is awesome.

For real. Remember when we just made threads asking people when they were free, and then no one would show up? What beasts we were. Soooo much better now.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:03 (3373 days ago) @ Beorn

It's been a fantastic tool. Thank you so much!

You mentioned this the other day when some of us raided with you, that you were open to suggestions. I've been thinking about this and the only meaningful tweak I can think of is to have a comment thread attached to each event. This may be more work than is worth the time though.

Regardless, Iv'e done a bunch of things I'd never have done if it weren't for the fireteam builder.

Look! A suggestion!

by Earendil, Friday, February 20, 2015, 16:57 (3373 days ago) @ slycrel

I've been thinking about this and the only meaningful tweak I can think of is to have a comment thread attached to each event. This may be more work than is worth the time though.

I've been thinking this as well. Something between a full fledged in-everyone-elses-face thread and the tiny comment line would be nice at times. My primary reason for never starting a thread is that I don't want to clutter up the main forum page. Maybe no one really cares about that?

Clarification

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, February 20, 2015, 19:34 (3373 days ago) @ Earendil

Thanks for pointing this out. I'd considered a regular forum thread with each fireteam builder post in my musings, but I agree, that would clutter the forums unnecessarily. I had been thinking that ideally it would be displayed only within the fireteam builder details, and needn't be a full fledged forum post, just a string of comments, with a box to add further comments at the bottom.

Look! A suggestion!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 08:12 (3372 days ago) @ Earendil

It's not just the clutter. It is also the ability to find the thread later. If it were in the builder event page its a quick find.

Look! A suggestion!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 10:01 (3372 days ago) @ Vortech

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand, I don't mind posts in the forum related to events. I always link to my co-op night forum posts from the event, so that gives people space to discuss and ask questions and maybe even post comments afterward? If you're talking about anything that resembles a discussion, I'd rather that be in the forums.

On the other hand, it does seem as though options for communication could be enhanced. There are two improvements I can think of: one is to have an option that sends an email when things were updated, similar to what we have for forum post now. Another, and this is minor, is that I wish the view for organizers didn't show the comment field as editable by default. The comments are almost always too long to be seen in that view, and I have trouble reading them, especially when I'm looking at it on a mobile device. Like I said, this is minor, and the hovertext functionality works fine on a regular desktop.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 08:26 (3372 days ago) @ slycrel

I know "other" functionally covers this, but maybe a crucible game type?

(I'm hoping the recent wave of IB love will roll over into more willingness to do crucible.)

by petetheduck, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:14 (3373 days ago) @ Beorn

Very cool tool. Might also be fun to have a spot where players can just post that they're online currently--they're up for something, but not necessarily looking to organize an event and all that.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:32 (3373 days ago) @ petetheduck

Like a big flashlight saying, I am bored, have no friends, come play with me? :) but yea not a bad thing. It would have to be flashy to get attention that someone was on looking.

by petetheduck, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:35 (3373 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Like a big flashlight saying, I am bored, have no friends, come play with me? :) but yea not a bad thing. It would have to be flashy to get attention that someone was on looking.

It'd be like the FTB's gutter. A few short? Check the gutter. Not that groups are really coming up short, but still.

Lately I've been hunting engrams, so I've been pretty much up for anything other than Crucible. It'd be easy to throw my name in the gutter and just see if any DBO people need another for something.

An interesting idea, but…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, February 20, 2015, 14:41 (3373 days ago) @ petetheduck

I think the "FTB gutter" is already covered by the XBL/PSN Friend's List. I would imagine that if someone was going to the trouble of marking themselves as "available" on the FTB, they're already online and playing Destiny. If I sign in and am short, I generally hit my Friends list and ask around until we find the people we need.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 20, 2015, 15:21 (3373 days ago) @ Beorn

yea but that's you. You are trying to cater to the public man :)

yea I will do that as well, but people don't always accept, granted I do have a big enough list now that it usually is possible. But the idea is it's 4am, and no one is on, but I bet some of us creepers are lurking on DBO. Let them know you need help :)

Just to be clear

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, February 20, 2015, 15:22 (3373 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I am not trying to push you, it prob won't have the ROI.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 10:05 (3372 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

yea but that's you. You are trying to cater to the public man :)

yea I will do that as well, but people don't always accept, granted I do have a big enough list now that it usually is possible. But the idea is it's 4am, and no one is on, but I bet some of us creepers are lurking on DBO. Let them know you need help :)

Then post on the forum. I see no problem with using the forum for this purpose. Don't you need them to see it right away, and isn't it more likely that that's where they'll see it?

So, options like...

by Earendil, Friday, February 20, 2015, 16:18 (3373 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

"I want to play, and talk about my day"
"I want to play, but you better STFU and shoot shit"

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread