Easy fix for Black Hammer / Word of Crota (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:01 (3357 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:05

Bungie has two options, one really easy, the other harder but keeping the same systems.

In case you don't know, the problem with the current system is that the extra damage from disruptor perks manifests itself as a separate source of damage. So, you'd fire, and hit a hive major, and your gun would do damage, then additional damage would appear as a separate source, similar to how explosive rounds deals damage + explosive damage. One shot, two numbers.

The problem with Word of Crota and Black Hammer, is that their good perks activate on stringing critical hits. But you can;t string them, because the bonus damage is white, and interrupts the streak.

Easiest fix: Have Hive and Oracle Disruptor perks simply apply a percentage modifier to damage. I know the game can do this, because it applies a 300% modifier when burns are on. Easy fix. There's no need for separate damage sources; you can simply have the gun do 150% (or whatever it is) damage against Hive Majors.

Easy fix: Disruptor damage should not be assigned to the player. Your team mate's getting a body shot doesn't interrupt your headshot streak, because the damage isn't yours. Have disruptor damage come from a source other than your player. The only downside is that you may not get credit if the disruptor damage kills, so in that case just pass the kill credit on to the player.

What's so hard about doing the % modifier fix? You already have code to do it. I'm continually astounded as to the slowness with which Bungie fixes their bugs. I thought you guys were world class.

And we still can't skip cutscenes.

Easy fix for Black Hammer / Word of Crota

by petetheduck, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:31 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by petetheduck, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:37

Bungie has two options, one really easy, the other harder but keeping the same systems.

In case you don't know, the problem with the current system is that the extra damage from disruptor perks manifests itself as a separate source of damage. So, you'd fire, and hit a hive major, and your gun would do damage, then additional damage would appear as a separate source, similar to how explosive rounds deals damage + explosive damage. One shot, two numbers.

The problem with Word of Crota and Black Hammer, is that their good perks activate on stringing critical hits. But you can;t string them, because the bonus damage is white, and interrupts the streak.

Easiest fix: Have Hive and Oracle Disruptor perks simply apply a percentage modifier to damage. I know the game can do this, because it applies a 300% modifier when burns are on. Easy fix. There's no need for separate damage sources; you can simply have the gun do 150% (or whatever it is) damage against Hive Majors.

Easy fix: Disruptor damage should not be assigned to the player. Your team mate's getting a body shot doesn't interrupt your headshot streak, because the damage isn't yours. Have disruptor damage come from a source other than your player. The only downside is that you may not get credit if the disruptor damage kills, so in that case just pass the kill credit on to the player.

What's so hard about doing the % modifier fix? You already have code to do it. I'm continually astounded as to the slowness with which Bungie fixes their bugs. I thought you guys were world class.

And we still can't skip cutscenes.

You're making huge assumptions about how burn modifiers and the extra hive disruptor damages are coded. It might be that simple, but it might not be.

The super easy fix: have any damage type trigger the ability, not just precision shots. Mwahahahahahaha.

Just a thought

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:31 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It might not be as simple as that. This is just pure speculation, but it's possible that burn modifiers are not set per player. It could be a blanket modifier applied to the entire instance. So the code might not actually be in place to add a damage boost to a single weapon on a single player. (The weapons of light modifier proves they can add a damage boost per player, but again they may not have the code in place to modify a specific weapon on the fly).

As far as attributing the damage to another player, that doesn't actually sound like a particularly simple solution to me. Not saying that it isn't doable, but there are no systems for switching attribution in place (that I know of). It could also wreak havoc in PvP.

Just a thought

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 12:35 (3357 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Couldn't wreak havoc in PvP if the changed attribution was only present on Hive Disruptor, though your other points stand.

I Thought Black Hammer Was Jesus.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 13:56 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pretty much every time I hear the word 'sniper', a good 97% of the time either Black Hammer or LDR is in the same sentence.

People are now making FUN of a weapon they were literally tripping over themselves to get last month. On forums, on websites, in my raid groups, everywhere, people are worshipping the Black Hammer.

I don't have or care about it really, but what is so good/bad about it anyway?

by Kahzgul, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 14:06 (3357 days ago) @ Morpheus

Black Hammer is great because of the White Nail perk. If you rapidly get 3 precision hits, it fills up with 3 free rounds of ammo, no reload required.

It is a GREAT gun.

but - with the Hive Disruptor perk, every critical hit on the hive is also a non-critical hit with the disruptor. So the White Nail perk is invalidated. Which means that a weapon which seemingly should be *better* against the hive is unequivocally worse. It's just a 3 shot sniper rifle at that point, and almost any other gun is better.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 14:12 (3357 days ago) @ Morpheus

Solar Damage. Highest impact sniper in the game. Excellent stability. Get 3 critical hits in a row, and the mag instantly refills. You easily have infinite ammo against Hive Knights, or bosses like Archon Priest, Sepkis, Devil Walker, etc. The only downside is 3 shots per mag, and 15 shots total.

Also…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 14:22 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Solar Damage. Highest impact sniper in the game. Excellent stability. Get 3 critical hits in a row, and the mag instantly refills. You easily have infinite ammo against Hive Knights, or bosses like Archon Priest, Sepkis, Devil Walker, etc. The only downside is 3 shots per mag, and 15 shots total.

It has a very slow firing rate and cannot crit against shields (this is normal, but prevents White Nail from proc'ing, causing you to reload all the time). Coupled with the exceptionally shallow mag and low reserve ammo, it's fairly weak against wizards, captains, or anything that's shielded and/or moves quickly. I.e., the stuff I usually use a sniper against.

I was excited to get Black Hammer because of all the noise around it, but after using it for a while, I'm firmly in the "meh" camp about it. It certainly has its uses and can be ridiculously overpowered at times, but it's definitely not in my top-3 list for go-to snipers (that's Icebreaker, LDR-5001, and Praedyth's Revenge).

Also…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 14:28 (3357 days ago) @ Beorn

It has a very slow firing rate and cannot crit against shields (this is normal, but prevents White Nail from proc'ing, causing you to reload all the time).

This is untrue. At 331 at least, one shot removes the shields of a level 33 Wizard, and if you are over the head bleeds through getting critical damage. This works similarly on Cabal with Solar Shields. I maintain the white nail chain all the time in the Corta raid when using it on Wizards.

Also…

by Pfhor, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 14:45 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Black Hammer can chain link against Knights, Ogres, and yes Wizards all day. Not to mention majority of the bosses (if you are good with it you can destroy Atheon on hard). It is the ultimate sniper rifle in the game if you know how to use it right. I can single handily take down level 33 Ogres with just this gun, it is that magnificent. You can rapid fire those 3 shots at a much higher rate than Icebreaker and each shot does significant more damage than any other sniper rifle in the game. Just don't go around missing any of those three shots...

Ah!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 15:05 (3357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is untrue. At 331 at least, one shot removes the shields of a level 33 Wizard, and if you are over the head bleeds through getting critical damage. This works similarly on Cabal with Solar Shields. I maintain the white nail chain all the time in the Corta raid when using it on Wizards.

My Black Hammer hasn't been at 331, so that's probably what I'm dealing with. I just unlocked the last tick after this week's Nightfall and haven't really used it since. Glad to know that it punches through shields and still lands some crit.

Pretty much god-tier against bosses/ slow enemies, but...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 22, 2015, 15:19 (3357 days ago) @ Morpheus

it's pretty much useless everywhere else. It may have a high impact, but that's only marginally important when it's only got three rounds in a mag and crap in reserve.

I've always been a fan of low-ammo high-damage, but it really doesn't dethrone Ice Breaker in terms of Versatility or general usefulness...

On that note, it really does fit the role of "Special Weapon", because it packs a wallop under certain conditions, unlike IB, which is used more like a primary at times.
We need more trade-off weapons like this (I had suggested that Thorn could chip away at the user's health with every shot, balancing it for PvP)...

Pretty much god-tier against bosses/ slow enemies, but...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, February 23, 2015, 07:22 (3356 days ago) @ Korny

Just chiming in to say when I see others wield it during strikes, bosses die really, really fast. Like nathanfilliondoesn'tknowwhattosay.gif fast.

Poor Sepkis this morning. Lol.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread