New Marathon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 18:15 (4042 days ago)

So apparently if Bungie meets certain milestones, Activision will let them develop a new Marathon title.

I'd love to know what those milestones are. I'm not yet sure if I want to help make sure those milestones are met, or sabotage them so they are never met.

Is another Marathon game a good idea, especially when we live in a world where modern game design practices would never ever give us anything remotely resembling the original Marathon Trilogy?

Discuss.

New Marathon

by Avateur @, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 18:44 (4042 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Avateur, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 18:47

I feel like the creation of a new Marathon would really only sell due to nostalgia and has a high potential for failure for the reasons you just stated. The games rock. Infinity just gets even more complex, the level design is wonderful and at times very difficult, and the entire dynamic is challenging. I just don't see the level design or outright creativity working, especially with Bungie focusing on this ten year plan for Destiny with DLC every year and so on and so forth.

To tie back to my first sentence, I feel like it might not get the right attention in its creation process, like it might just be a shoehorned and forced product for nostalgia's sake. It's almost like they'd be trying to fit another game into a universe that, while still having plenty of places to go and information to tap into, was concluded quite well at the end of the trilogy.

I'm sure it would sell, so I'm not really talking about it being a success or failure from a sales standpoint, but wouldn't it be a shame for there to be a new title in the series that hardly lives up to the previous three? Why risk it and Marathon's legacy? It'd be fairly tragic to see you make a marathon.isnotcanon, Cody. :P

Edit: Unless they can pull a Pixar (sitting on Toy Story for so long and then making Toy Story 3) and create something so well thought through and magnicifently produced that it just blows everyone away and is a masterpiece of not just story but also gameplay design and gameplay itself, why chance it or do it just because they can?

New Marathon

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:08 (4042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I always viewed Marathon as a code name.

New Marathon

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:29 (4042 days ago) @ biggy
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:33

I always viewed Marathon as a code name.

Haha...that would be beautiful.

"Details about project Marathon leaked! It's a massively multiplayer Kinect dance game / platformer set in a faraway magical kingdom where a talking pony named Bob leads you on a series of charming and fantastic adventures."

Edit: ...that kind of sounds like a twisted sort of Marathon, now that I think about it.

New Marathon

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 19:54 (4042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Where was this milestone thing said / leaked? I remember seeing something about this a good while ago, but has there been something more recent?

Anyway, I'd rather they not make a new Marathon, at least not if they have to stick to the confusing and technologically outdated gameplay and level design. A direct Marathon copy with modern graphics, no matter how pretty it would look, does not interest me in the least. I get confused, turned around, and lost minutes into Marathon. Worse, I think it would go over quite badly with the rest of today's modern gamers. Why sully its name by creating a true to the original flop?

Now, if they wanted to reimagine it. Update it to make it a bit more accessable while keeping the original's spirit alive and strong. That would be great. Marathon, of course, has a great story and it would be amazing of more people could experience it. It coud be epic. The battles between the AIs. The dimensional jumping. The awesome scifi setting.

In the end though, I've always believed that they already reimagined Marathon in Halo. Cyborg supersoldier, helpful AI, ancient mystery, familiar weapons and enemies.

New Marathon

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 21:11 (4042 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Where was this milestone thing said / leaked? I remember seeing something about this a good while ago, but has there been something more recent?

I just read it again and it says 5% of the staff can work on Marathon until they make $375,000,000 for Activision when they can use 10%, and when they make $750,000,000 for Activision they can use 25% of their staff.

New Marathon

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 21:05 (4042 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If they could get the original writers to help I would have a lot more faith in it. But I'm sure I would still play it anyway and if it isn't any good, I'm sure I could deal with it.

New Marathon

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 11:48 (4041 days ago) @ Xenos

If they could get the original writers to help I would have a lot more faith in it. But I'm sure I would still play it anyway and if it isn't any good, I'm sure I could deal with it.

Yeah, I don't think I could deal with it. If it turns out poorly I wouldn't be able to look at Bungie again without seeing a reflection of post-prequel Lucas.

The final screen of Infinity describes Durandal at the end of the universe. The story is finished. Leave it alone. If you go back and try to shine light on all the dark, unexplained parts of the story, at best you just end up with a dull grey world devoid of mystery.

That said, I would love to see Kirkpatrick writing again.

New Marathon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 14:17 (4041 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

The final screen of Infinity describes Durandal at the end of the universe. The story is finished. Leave it alone. If you go back and try to shine light on all the dark, unexplained parts of the story, at best you just end up with a dull grey world devoid of mystery.

Well technically a remake IS in order, since Durandal was trying to escape the closure of the universe, and at the time Bungie had no way to know the expansion of the universe was in fact accelerating :-p

So his plan to use Jjaro tech to remove mass from the universe is totally unnecessary given current scientific knowledge.

New Marathon

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 14:29 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well technically a remake IS in order, since Durandal was trying to escape the closure of the universe, and at the time Bungie had no way to know the expansion of the universe was in fact accelerating :-p

So his plan to use Jjaro tech to remove mass from the universe is totally unnecessary given current scientific knowledge.

Maybe Durandal figured out a way to go back in time and remove enough mass that the acceleration of the expansion of the universe surpassed the deceleration caused by the gravitational pull of objects on one another.

New Marathon

by rliebherr @, St. Louis, Missouri, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 16:16 (4041 days ago) @ Xenos

Mind. Blown.

New Marathon

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 22:47 (4042 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by UnrealCh13f, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 22:51

So apparently if Bungie meets certain milestones, Activision will let them develop a new Marathon title.

I'd love to know what those milestones are. I'm not yet sure if I want to help make sure those milestones are met, or sabotage them so they are never met.

Is another Marathon game a good idea, especially when we live in a world where modern game design practices would never ever give us anything remotely resembling the original Marathon Trilogy?

Discuss.

It was mentioned in the original Bungie-Activision Contract in 2010 (note: It may have changed since) that Bungie will have a green light to produce a "Marathon" project under certain conditions. (I believe if the operating income exceeds 375 million dollars?)

If I remember correctly, if the project is green lighted, Bungie cannot commit a large number of their staff to work on the project. (No more than 10% of staff?)

It kind of makes me wonder, if Bungie is given the go ahead to create "Marathon" (whatever that ends up being, a recreation, or a brand new game), what if the game was made with the Destiny engine just like they did with ODST?

Edit: http://documents.latimes.com/bungie-activision-contract/

And in my opinion, I'd like to see another Marathon game (remake or brand new). However, from what I have seen from the XBLA release of the original Marathon: Durandal, I doubt the sales would be very high.

New Marathon

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, March 23, 2013, 23:52 (4042 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

It was mentioned in the original Bungie-Activision Contract in 2010 (note: It may have changed since) that Bungie will have a green light to produce a "Marathon" project under certain conditions. (I believe if the operating income exceeds 375 million dollars?)

From the way I'm understanding it they can produce it even before then, they just can't put more than 5% of their staff on it.

Here is the quote:

(N)o more than the greater of five percent of other empioyees and one (1) other employee, to staff, fund and operate a prototype team for a future Licensor action-shooter interactive entertainment software product tentativeiy known as "l\/larathon" ("iVlarathon"), no more than ten percent of the Key Member resources and no more than ten percent of all other employees after the achievement of at least Three Hundred Seventy Five Million Dollars ($375,000,000)in cumulative Operating Income to continue to staff, fund and operate a prototype team for Marathon or otherwise engage in work on other Licensor projects or business activities, (iv) no more than twenty five percent of the Key Member resources and no more than twenty five percent of all other employees after the achievement of at feast Seven Hundred Fifty Million Dollars ($750,000,000) in Bungie Development and Publishing Agreement

New Marathon

by Flynn J Taggart, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 03:33 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Discuss.

Halo was sufficiently close to Marathon that a new Marathon would probably be pretty indistinguishable from Halo. Slightly different art, a few slightly different weapons, maybe (big maybe) the ability to carry more than 2 guns at once. Would they have recharging shields or would it be the battery plug-into-wall method again? Would Bungie even opt for terminals in a theoretical Marathon sequel? I thought they worked fine in Halo 3, but they're more of a vital part of the Marathon experience. My guess is that they'd gel a lot of Halo in with a lot of Marathon to the point of it being basically Halo 5 with a slight Marathon-tinge. I'd be down for it if they could get Greg Kirkpatrick and more of the original Marathon folks back into the Bungie mix to contribute somehow.

New Marathon

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 10:31 (4041 days ago) @ Flynn J Taggart

That's pretty much my take as well.

My shorthand description of Halo during its first six months was "Marathon with hyperrealistic graphics." At the time I didn't know how much more realistic graphics could get.

New Marathon

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 14:27 (4041 days ago) @ Kermit

My shorthand description of Halo during its first six months was "Marathon with hyperrealistic graphics." At the time I didn't know how much more realistic graphics could get.

Yeah I don't think any of us saw that coming. I remember playing Waverace 64 and thinking "Man how are they going to make graphics better than this?"

New Marathon

by zappy13, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 14:45 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So much of what I think of as Marathon is tied to Greg Kirkpatrick's writing. I don't know if I would be happy without him having a hand.

I think Hamish Sinclair might know what he's up to, but won't tell.

New Marathon

by petetheduck, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 19:08 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The last time Bungie devoted a small portion of their studio to a game, we got ODST. <3

<3 [2]

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, March 24, 2013, 19:39 (4041 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

New Marathon

by Avateur @, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 20:49 (4041 days ago) @ petetheduck

Extreme apples and oranges, I'd say, but you do have a point.

New Marathon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:02 (4041 days ago) @ petetheduck

The last time Bungie devoted a small portion of their studio to a game, we got ODST. <3

Are you aware of how I feel about ODST? :-(

New Marathon

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:18 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are you aware of how I feel about ODST? :-(

[image]

New Marathon

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 22:25 (4041 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Let me guess. You, like me, think it's one of the best games in the series.

Why Yes I Do!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, March 25, 2013, 00:05 (4041 days ago) @ Kermit

New Marathon

by EnsnaredCadaver ⌂, The City, Monday, March 25, 2013, 11:33 (4040 days ago) @ Kermit

This man is very intelligent.

New Marathon

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 25, 2013, 12:12 (4040 days ago) @ Kermit

I will be honest, and in terms of having characters that feel real and interesting, it's the best game in the series when focusing on that alone. It kind of grew on me. There's still major problems with the narrative, but I find myself caring less about those problems because the characters are much better than any other Halo game.

New Marathon

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 04:49 (4039 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I will be honest, and in terms of having characters that feel real and interesting, it's the best game in the series when focusing on that alone. It kind of grew on me. There's still major problems with the narrative, but I find myself caring less about those problems because the characters are much better than any other Halo game.

I agree. Sorry for baiting you. I remembered you not liking it, but then I remembered you posting a while back that you found some things to appreciate. I didn't know how you'd respond, honestly.

New Marathon

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, March 28, 2013, 09:23 (4037 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Glad to hear it. That we can agree on. :)

In any case, it did turn out to be a pretty full-fledged release (campaign length complaints notwithstanding), so any issues it had were probably not attributable to it being a small portion of the team. Which gives some hope for the Marathon title.

Also, some have mentioned that Marathon wouldn't be Marathon if it had to follow modern game design conventions and appeal to a modern mainstream audience. But... what if it didn't do that at all? We are talking about a project that Bungie's allowed to use a small portion of the team on, and a few more if they make gobs of money for Activision, presumably to offset the (relative) expense of diverting that personnel resource. It occurs to me that this may be a project that they do the way it SHOULD be done, and sales prospects be damned. That may in fact be precisely why the conditions were set the way they were.

Destiny: ODST announced.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Sunday, March 24, 2013, 23:08 (4041 days ago) @ petetheduck

It's going to be awesome. Also, terribly weird and likely copyright-infringing. But awesome.

Destiny: ODST announced.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 25, 2013, 00:41 (4041 days ago) @ Leviathan

SHUT UP AND TAKE ALL MY MONEY

Yes!

by Jak Redlevske, South of I-10, Monday, March 25, 2013, 18:39 (4040 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

New Marathon

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, March 28, 2013, 20:05 (4037 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, March 28, 2013, 20:09

By my reading of the contract, this is how it is. As long as Destiny is going smoothly (specifically as long as no Destiny products are in a state of "Critical Risk"), once Bungie produces $375M of "Operating Income", which is total income minus a few deductions that look standard and whatever Activision pays for marketing, publishing, etc., and have put out the second Destiny game, they can develop games unrelated to Destiny that aren't "action shooters". When they put out the DLC for the third Destiny game, they can work on other "action shooters", as long as they don't release one during the first year after they stop working on Destiny and give Activision first negotiating rights for publishing. The "Marathon" project is specifically exempt from all this, though. Bungie can devote up to 5% of their "Key Members" and up to 5% of all their other employees to "Marathon" right off the bat. That becomes 10% of both groups at $375M in "Operating Income", 25% at $750M, and whatever percent they think is reasonable at one billion dollars. They can't actually release "Marathon" until they reach that $375M figure, and again they have to give Activision dibs on publishing it. It also makes it clear that "Marathon" is to be completely separate from Destiny, Activision will not fund it at all, and Bungie can't put more than $5 million (including any outside investment) into anything besides Destiny until they've put out the DLC for the second Destiny game. There are also certain "Key Members" that are known as "Key-Key Members". They can't work on anything besides Destiny as long as Bungie is working on the agreed-on Destiny games, except that some of them will be allowed to transition over to other projects after the DLC for the first Destiny game comes out if they get permission from Activision and if they're replaced by other "Key Members". Who the "Key Members", the "Key-Key Members", and the "Key-Key Members" that might be allowed to work on other projects are seems to be detailed in another document that's not included.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread