Debating on getting an Xbone (Destiny)

by TheeChaos @, Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:17 (3338 days ago)

Thoughts? Not trying to start a war, I LOVE MY PLAYSTATION. just looking at getting one. Main drawback now is that I would just be getting destiny again, and Titanfall. Just wondering what you guys think.

Debating on getting an Xbone

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:24 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I own best consoles and the truth is the majority of the best exclusives on XB1 (really both consoles) are indie games. There are a few good ones like Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, and of course MCC (when it's working), but I think it'll get better later in the year. I for one can't wait for Tomb Raider. If there isn't some XB1 exclusive you are dying to play I would hold off until there is personally. There is a good chance the price they'll have a good bundle with a game you want.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:25 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Thoughts? Not trying to start a war, I LOVE MY PLAYSTATION. just looking at getting one. Main drawback now is that I would just be getting destiny again, and Titanfall. Just wondering what you guys think.

How patient are you?

TitanFall's sequel will be multi-platform. I don't really see the point in shelling out $400 for one game that is MP only, and already has a sub par population. DLC being free is a nice treat, but perhaps indicative that the game is not doing very well and needs new blood.

At least with Halo, The campaigns are still there.

I also can't possibly imagine starting Destiny over again on another console. How some of you do multi-console & multi-character.... I just don't get where the time comes from. If there was some catastrophe and my characters were deleted (and all their inventory\vault) tomorrow, I'd probably be done with Destiny at this point.

I've invested enough in it at this point that I WANT to keep playing what I have, but have no interest in starting over again, if that makes sense.

However, I bought my original xbox for one game alone. And I bought my 360 for one game alone.

I'd like to think things were different back then....but perhaps they aren't, really. Nostalgia is a funny thing.

I'd say wait and see.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:33 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I have both xbone & PS4, I find I only play on the ps4. I got the xbone for the MCC & Destiny (with some old roommates). But, I just find I want to play my PS4 characters instead. Maybe I'll do some xbone when I get my warlock up to 32.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:45 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm not sure there's much to accomplish with that purchase right now, unless there are certain people on XBone you REALLY want to play with. Or you just have a ton of money.

In my view, the only major advantage XBone has is Forza, which may or may not be a factor for you. Even the Tomb Raider thing is time-limited, and because they still refuse to say how long it's exclusive, I'm guessing not long.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:30 (3338 days ago) @ stabbim

In my view, the only major advantage XBone has is Forza, which may or may not be a factor for you. Even the Tomb Raider thing is time-limited, and because they still refuse to say how long it's exclusive, I'm guessing not long.

To be fair the exact wording with Tomb Raider is still really ambiguous. I still have no idea if they mean it's the only game that will be exclusive or if it's just a time exclusive. (If someone has a quote to clear it up from Crystal Dynamics or Microsoft please share)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:04 (3338 days ago) @ Xenos

To be fair the exact wording with Tomb Raider is still really ambiguous. I still have no idea if they mean it's the only game that will be exclusive or if it's just a time exclusive. (If someone has a quote to clear it up from Crystal Dynamics or Microsoft please share)

The day after the announcement, Phil Spencer admitted that Xbox's Tomb Raider exclusivity "has a duration."

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:10 (3338 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. It's still so ambiguous as to whether Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting released on Playstation. The deal is timed, but nothing is said by Crystal Dynamics about a Playstation version. In fact in the most recent interview with Gameinformer all the Developer says is it "could" come to Playstation, and if I recall correctly he says they aren't working on a Playstation version at all right now. I'd share the article but my work's filter is awful. I'll try and post it when I get home.

Edit: This conversation reminds me so much of the conversation over whether Titanfall was a timed exclusive before its release. A ton of people (including news sites) thought the message was that the game was a time exclusive, but it ended up meaning the franchise had timed exclusivity.

Example:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/22/titanfall-we-think-itll-come-to-ps4

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:31 (3338 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah that's the one I'm talking about. It's still so ambiguous as to whether Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting released on Playstation. The deal is timed, but nothing is said by Crystal Dynamics about a Playstation version. In fact in the most recent interview with Gameinformer all the Developer says is it "could" come to Playstation, and if I recall correctly he says they aren't working on a Playstation version at all right now. I'd share the article but my work's filter is awful. I'll try and post it when I get home.

Edit: This conversation reminds me so much of the conversation over whether Titanfall was a timed exclusive before its release. A ton of people (including news sites) thought the message was that the game was a time exclusive, but it ended up meaning the franchise had timed exclusivity.

Example:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/10/22/titanfall-we-think-itll-come-to-ps4

I think this interview with Darrell Gallagher is the one you're talking about. I just re-watched it and all he says about it is that they're "focusing" on Xbox right now (but not that they aren't even working on Playstation).

I think a big difference between this and Titanfall is that Zampella himself (head of Respawn) was clearly (and publicly) surprised when Titanfall (1) was announced to be Xbox exclusive for the life of the title. With Rise of the Tomb Raider, even the big bad wolf is publicly saying that their exclusivity is limited in duration and could come to other platforms once that ends.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:44 (3338 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think a big difference between this and Titanfall is that Zampella himself (head of Respawn) was clearly (and publicly) surprised when Titanfall (1) was announced to be Xbox exclusive for the life of the title. With Rise of the Tomb Raider, even the big bad wolf is publicly saying that their exclusivity is limited in duration and could come to other platforms once that ends.

Good points. The main uncertainty now is the length of the exclusivity (which if it is long enough could result in it not being ported to Playstation, or not resulting in many sales). Really the reason I bring this up is because I don't LIKE games being exclusive. It's the reality of the situation but I wish it wasn't.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 13, 2015, 18:49 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

For me, Titanfall is far and away the best reason to get an Xbone. I adore that game. There are some other great exclusives. Sunset Overdrive is loads of fun, so is Forza Horizon 2. I've played 30 minutes of Ori and the Blind Forest, and I've already cried twice. It's probably the most beautiful 2d game ever created.

If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer the PS4 overall. But the Xbox does have a lot going for it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:07 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm not very loyal to one or the other. I had a weird experience, though. My first two games I played on the playstation were Journey and The Last of Us, and I was blown away by both. I decided not to risk being in the dark about some game I think I might like going forward, if I could afford to have both consoles.

You don't need an Xbox, but it's okay to want one. Titanfall is fun.

I have a PS4 and XB1 and I love both

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:12 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

But I definitely play my XB1 more because I have a solid online crew on XBox Live. Also MCC has been great lately and I really loved the Halo 5 beta.

Anyways I highly suggest it. Especially with all of the free Gold games, it's awesome getting a great game like Rayman Legends free.

I have PS4, too, but prefer Xbone

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:23 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Despite their atrocious marketing strategy out of the gate, the xbone's TV integration and voice commands are really fantastic. Also, it has the superior controller imo.

That being said, it's clearly the buggier of the two systems, although it is also the system with more innovative features and updates that are more responsive to player feedback.

That being said, if you don't buy it with the kinect, you're not buying the real xbone experience.

My breakdown would be:

oh boy yes, xbox one better controller by a mile

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:28 (3338 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

But the new dual shock is a nice upgrade ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:54 (3338 days ago) @ kidtsunami

And I greatly prefer using the touchpad in Destiny.

+1

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:43 (3338 days ago) @ Kermit

I used both controllers at work for a long time before I bought a next-gen console, and I decided that I like the Dualshock 4 much better. It just feels more like the 360 pad to me.

+1

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:45 (3338 days ago) @ CyberKN

I used both controllers at work for a long time before I bought a next-gen console, and I decided that I like the Dualshock 4 much better. It just feels more like the 360 pad to me.

The trigger-and-bumper situation has definitely flip-flopped from last gen.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 13, 2015, 21:51 (3338 days ago) @ uberfoop

The trigger-and-bumper situation has definitely flip-flopped from last gen.

I don't know how I survived a month with an Xbone without smashing the controller against the floor every time I used the bumpers. Godawful design...

Just another of the countless backward steps the Xbone took from the 360... Though I might end up with an Xbone if Halo 5 reviews (and CaneCutter's sultry opinion) show that 343 is finally capable of a modicum of competence... Don't know how I'll survive with that controller, though. Any alternatives or peripherals addressing that?

inversely, I love the DS4, which contrasts how I had to heavily modify my DS3 just to tolerate it enough to play the few games worth playing on the PS3... Life is weird sometimes...

On the XBO bumpers

by breitzen @, Kansas, Friday, March 13, 2015, 22:16 (3338 days ago) @ Korny

What seems to be everyone's problem with them? I haven't had any issues, it fits comfortably in my hands and the bumpers are super easy to get too. Am I just missing something? lol

On the XBO bumpers

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 22:59 (3338 days ago) @ breitzen

What seems to be everyone's problem with them? I haven't had any issues, it fits comfortably in my hands and the bumpers are super easy to get too. Am I just missing something? lol

I seem to remember having some trouble initially where sometimes my fingers would get hung up trying to slide over them. Muscle memory from using the 360 for so long I guess. I must have gotten used to it because it doesn't happen anymore.

The only problem I can see with them right now is the clicking mechanism feels cheap. Which is true of the whole controller. I mean, pick up a 360 controller and hold it, then immediately pick up an XBone controller. If I smashed them together, I know which one would break first.

This. +1. Totally agree.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:04 (3338 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

On the XBO bumpers

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:04 (3338 days ago) @ breitzen

What seems to be everyone's problem with them?

They behave like levers, despite looking and feeling like buttons and having an extremely shallow click. If you use a standard controller grip and don't have tiny hands, even though it seems like you should be able to do a standard finger-wide pull, you have to click with the stump of your finger. It just feels unnatural and sticky.

On the XBO bumpers

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:13 (3338 days ago) @ uberfoop

What seems to be everyone's problem with them?

They behave like levers, despite looking and feeling like buttons and having an extremely shallow click. If you use a standard controller grip and don't have tiny hands, even though it seems like you should be able to do a standard finger-wide pull, you have to click with the stump of your finger. It just feels unnatural and sticky.

[image]

I dunno, I don't exactly have Lana hands, but it's the same way for me too. I hate having to put pressure on the edge of the bumper with my proximal...

On the XBO bumpers

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:07 (3338 days ago) @ breitzen

Part of the problem is that they're designed to be pressed in a different manner than all other bumpers ever. If you're not doing the awkward twisting to hit them, you have to click them in, and they're annoyingly stiff and weirdly shaped, because like all other aspects of the controller, they seem to have been designed by one guy who wanted you to use it his way or the highway. Apart from being unnecessarily large, they're worse than every other shoulder button ever (gamecube controller is up there, though), when they were pretty much perfect on the 360. I think another problem is that they wanted to have a flush design, so they're all up on the trigger and the oversized Guide region, which again goes back to the "you have to use it this way" problem that forces people with different sized hands and playstyles to adapt to a less-than-ideal way to play...

it angers me to have to use them... I dunno, but I'm not the only one... I wish they released an alternate design, but maybe once Mad Catz is able to make XBone Controllers we'll see what's up.

On the XBO bumpers

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:44 (3338 days ago) @ breitzen

On most controllers with bumpers, the bumper buttons themselves can be pressed just about anywhere across the surface of the button and respond nicely. On the XBO, the bumpers only work if you press down on the outer edge of the button. If your finger naturally lands there, no problem. But if your finger rests towards the middle or inner edge of the button, they don't click or respond properly. They're designed to "swing" up and down like a small door, pivoting from the inner edge. All other bumpers work like a normal button: straight up or down.

It makes things really frustrating if your fingers don't naturally land on the sweet spot. I don't understand why they would make such a large button if most of the surface of the button doesn't work.

On the XBO bumpers

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 00:37 (3338 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Never had that problem on my controller. They've worked perfectly no matter where I press them. My D-Pad works really nice, too. A few other people I know have complained about the D-Pad, as well, but most of my friends have never mentioned anything about it.

Altogether I like everything about the X1 controller. It just feels really nice all around.

On the XBO bumpers

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 01:42 (3338 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Never had that problem on my controller. They've worked perfectly no matter where I press them. My D-Pad works really nice, too. A few other people I know have complained about the D-Pad, as well, but most of my friends have never mentioned anything about it.

Altogether I like everything about the X1 controller. It just feels really nice all around.

The XBO D-pad does work well, it just feels awful compared to the DS4 d-pad. After playing Killer Instinct for 30 minutes, my left thumb started to hurt because the edges of the d-pad are just sharp enough to be painful after extended use. The slightly "dished" shape of the DS4 d-pad gives it a more responsive feel, while the more rounded edges are more comfortable for extended use.

On the XBO bumpers

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 02:18 (3337 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Ah. I guess so. I haven't really played any games that require extended use of the D-Pad. In that respect, I can see how they could be aggravating.

Weird, the PS4 bumpers are "squishy" to me

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:49 (3335 days ago) @ breitzen

Like I'm not sure when the click registers. Whereas with the XB1 bumpers, It's a straightforward and satisfying click when I do it. I'll have to test clicking them from different positions to see what everyone else is talking about.

I DO have an XB1 controller where one of the shoulder buttons doesn't have a satisfying click, so I'm not too plussed about the "build" of the controller.

I do prefer the XB1 sticks/stick placement and the face buttons a bunch. Oh and the triggers are worlds better to me on the XB1 but I recognize the PS4 controller is a lot better than the PS3 ones. And the size, oh the size, I mean I chuckle every time I see this:
[image]

Thought I will say that I definitely prefer the "System" button on the PS4 controller, as well as their share/options buttons. The "System" button the XB1 controller is squishy non-sense.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 13, 2015, 22:03 (3338 days ago) @ Kermit

Dual Shock 4 would be perfect (for me) if it had:
1- a little longer grips to hang onto (I've got big, wide, very square hands, I actually LIKED the original XBox's Duke controller)
2- swapped the location of the left thumb-stick & digital pad.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 02:46 (3337 days ago) @ dogcow

Dual Shock 4 would be perfect (for me) if it had:
1- a little longer grips to hang onto (I've got big, wide, very square hands, I actually LIKED the original XBox's Duke controller)

You don't say...

The Duke was the best controller ever made.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 15:14 (3337 days ago) @ Dagoonite

- No text -

I disagree

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:37 (3338 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've always hated Sony controllers, but the DualShock 4 is fantastic. Meanwhile, the Xbox One controller is a noticeable step down from the 360 controller. Sticks feel a little too loose, D-pad still sucks, and the bumpers feel flat-out broken. The overall form factor & materiel feels a bit cheap, too. The DS4 is a beautiful controller in almost every way. I still think the D-pad and left thumb stick should switch places, but aside from that it's great.

For what it's worth, I still prefer the 360 controller to either of the new console's controllers.

I disagree

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 23:49 (3338 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

D-pad still sucks

How so? Personally, I think it feels cheap (as I've said elsewhere, I think the whole controller does), but at least when I press it, it actually registers that something has happened. The 360's D-Pad often didn't respond at all on the first press. I'd have to hit it 2 or 3 times. It wasn't just one controller, and I had some wireless and some wired - same issue all the time.

For what it's worth, I still prefer the 360 controller to either of the new console's controllers.

I definitely prefer it to the XBone. Haven't actually had a chance to handle a DS4 yet, but judging from the pictures I've seen, I'd guess that it's leagues better than the DS3 (which is terrible), but not quite as good as the 360. That also seems to be the consensus among people who post here.

I disagree

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 01:38 (3338 days ago) @ stabbim

D-pad still sucks

How so? Personally, I think it feels cheap (as I've said elsewhere, I think the whole controller does), but at least when I press it, it actually registers that something has happened. The 360's D-Pad often didn't respond at all on the first press. I'd have to hit it 2 or 3 times. It wasn't just one controller, and I had some wireless and some wired - same issue all the time.

I definitely prefer it to the XBone. Haven't actually had a chance to handle a DS4 yet, but judging from the pictures I've seen, I'd guess that it's leagues better than the DS3 (which is terrible), but not quite as good as the 360. That also seems to be the consensus among people who post here.

If the DS4 had offset sticks like an Xbox controller, it might be my all-time favorite. It's very nicely done all around.

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:52 (3338 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I agree with this. The new Kinect really makes the Xbone shine. I can't imagine not having Kinect and still enjoying my console as much as I do.

Real life, almost daily scenario for me:

Sit down on the couch with infant and start feeding her a bottle. Realize she's going slow and I'll be in silence for 30 minutes...

"Xbox, Turn On" (Xbox turns on, turns my TV and AV receiver on)
"Xbox, go to Netflix".. wait for Netflix to load, "Xbox Select. Next List. Next List. Select 4."
Parks & Rec starts playing.

When baby is done eating, "Xbox Off.. Yes"

Honestly the entertainment center integration is really awesome and I think the part where Microsoft just nailed it. And I've never even been able to play with the digital cable bit and OneGuide. It sounds really awesome, but I just don't have cable TV

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:27 (3338 days ago) @ JDQuackers

This is exactly what I do when I'm feeding myself. It's usually Futurama, though.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 13, 2015, 19:50 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Depends on what you want out of it. If you're only looking at Titanfall, there are competent versions of the game on other platforms. If I had Destiny on 360 I'd probably grab an XB1 copy of the game as well, but that doesn't seem that dealbreakerish. MCC still isn't in particularly great shape, even if you can get into games.

On the system interface side, things are slow and the machine seems to require regular cold boots to correct issues. The ways in which apps snap and nest is obnoxious, and there aren't alternatives. Some of the "really cool" features like suspend/resume aren't actually very stable. Easily the worst console OS I've ever used.

Ultimately, if there's some game or games that you really want to play on it, get it. Otherwise, probably hold off.

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:07 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You already have Destiny and a console, why do you need any other games or any other consoles?

^ This is exactly my problem with having both.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:16 (3338 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

^ This is exactly my problem with having both.

by DreadPirateWes, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 02:43 (3337 days ago) @ dogcow

I know it sounded like i was joking, but I wasn't. With only 10-20 hours per week to play, destiny just eats all of those hours up. Not so much right now while I wait for house of wolves, but basically every other week since launch.

by petetheduck, Friday, March 13, 2015, 20:42 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I don't think there's enough incentive to own both--if you hadn't bought a PS4, I'd praise Titanfall, but at this point I don't think it warrants the investment just for that one multiplayer-only game a year after its release. MCC is irrelevant. Maybe wait until this Fall to see if Halo 5 is worth buying?

by Velociraptor112, Places., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 00:47 (3338 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Well, it's really about what exclusives you really wanna have. If you're just getting it for Destiny again and Titanfall, like others have already said, Titanfall 2 will be coming out sometime in the future and it'll be multiplatform. Titanfall is great, but speaking for myself, it doesn't entertain for a long amount of time. It's more of an on-again, off-again game.

On the flip side, there's gonna be a lot more good exclusives coming out later this year and into the next, so it might be worth waiting and snagging a cool Xbox with a Halo skin or whatever. ;D

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread