I think I'm finally getting tired of Destiny (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 11:32 (3349 days ago)

As a fun diversion, I've been playing Destiny with a gunless Guardian. It has definitely been a change of pace and has made boss encounters an entirely new challenge.

SonofMacPhisto helped me get him to 20 originally, but then I deleted him to make the Destiny Quack. So this weekend I set to grinding him back to 20, but this time I deliberately left the Gunslinger class blank (the result is the only HUD elements on the screen when I select Gunslinger are the radar and sometimes health bar. Really nice for taking in the scenery or taking screenshots). Which meant getting from 1-20 with Blade Dancer.

I had to solo most of the story missions by myself this time. With no gun and a melee-focused super, boss battles were.. interesting. The Chamber of the Night was especially aggravating. But I did it, even leveled from 6-20 in a single day so I could don the armor I saved and get dragged through Crota that evening because 32.

And that's where it hit me, as I was literally watching my clan kill Crota, hoping to get the last piece of Raid armor I need to get my useless character to 32, that I wasn't having fun. I don't think they were having fun either.

It's my own fault, obviously. I burned myself out playing the game excessively in a stupid (but amusing and refreshing) way. Overall I have definitely gotten enjoyment out of playing without a gun, especially when I ran strikes and got more kills than both randoms, but I think what really happened is it helped me see Destiny in a different way.

For example, I literally couldn't do some of the bounties. I was already getting sick of running them--I deliberately restrict the weapons my Titan has so I don't need to run as many--, but then that mental categorization of them kind've being off-limits really drove that point home. I don't want to do bounties, so what would happen.. if I didn't? The only reason I'd do them now is so I could get to the point of no longer needing to do them.

I've run Vault of Glass so many times..

I've run Crota's End so many times..

I've run pretty much every Nightfall variation so many times..

If I DID get Gjallarhorn, would I even want to do the bounties to max it, and then would I even want to play any of the content so I could use it?

I think I've exhausted what Destiny has to offer me. Which is totally fine--content lulls are a good thing. That's why a gunless character was fun, because it was refreshing in a static experience. And I'm not going to stop playing Destiny completely, --I'm sure I'll be looking for a group to drag my sorry self through Crota again next weekend-- but I feel done for now. Not because I reached a milestone or stopping point in the game, but just because I'm tired of it.

Would custom multiplayer matches make you want to play?

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:07 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

It's weird that a lot of us are getting burned out on Destiny so quickly when there's so much more to do than in Marathon or Halo. I'm wondering if it's the custom multiplayer that did it.

Definitely needed

by TheeChaos @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:10 (3349 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was going to say that this is a great idea. I am not sure why it hasnt been done yet. I would love to play Crucible without supers. do something like shotty snipes. something different.

Would custom multiplayer matches make you want to play?

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:37 (3349 days ago) @ Funkmon

It's weird that a lot of us are getting burned out on Destiny so quickly when there's so much more to do than in Marathon or Halo. I'm wondering if it's the custom multiplayer that did it.

I don't really enjoy Crucible, I always prefer PvE/coop. I'd love to see something like ODST Firefight (not Halo: Reach Firefight).

It's been over half a year of Destiny and the only endgame additions have been 1 Strike, 1 Raid, and bounties.

I didnt play Reach firefight. What's the difference?

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:41 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:49 (3349 days ago) @ Funkmon

ODST Firefight was an endurance challenge. You picked a map and you got to work. Survive as long as you can.

Reach Firefight was a variety of bite-size, casual/arcade experiences (rocketfight, etc) that were further shamed by custom game settings that led to infinite rockets with invulnerable players vs 100% grunts.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:03 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

ODST Firefight was an endurance challenge. You picked a map and you got to work. Survive as long as you can.

Reach Firefight was a variety of bite-size, casual/arcade experiences (rocketfight, etc) that were further shamed by custom game settings that led to infinite rockets with invulnerable players vs 100% grunts.

I loved ODST Firefight. A buddy and me were so good at it, that we once played for about 6 hours once. That was a long night...

I didn't play Reach firefight. What's the difference?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:05 (3349 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I loved ODST Firefight. A buddy and me were so good at it, that we once played for about 6 hours once. That was a long night...

Yeah, ODST Firefight was the best. It almost felt like a puzzle game the way you needed to constantly switch weapons to match the continuously evolving enemy spawns.

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:05 (3349 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I liked the glitch to get a Wraith on the zoo map. And then everyone getting screwed when the dang drones get dropped off..

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:18 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

I liked the glitch to get a Wraith on the zoo map. And then everyone getting screwed when the dang drones get dropped off..

My buddy and I were a devastating combo where we had the plasma pistol/rifle combo down. Especially when it took two plasma pistol shots to take a guys shields down

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:12 (3349 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I haven't been paying close attention, but it's not being cut from the remastered version, is it?

I'm really looking forward to ODST on the Xbone.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:44 (3349 days ago) @ Kermit

I haven't been paying close attention, but it's not being cut from the remastered version, is it?

I'm really looking forward to ODST on the Xbone.

I don't know...

But Firefight alone would be a reason to buy that.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:06 (3349 days ago) @ Kermit

Probably. 343's wording so far has very specifically been that "ODST Campaign" is coming to the MCC. Everyone's assuming that this does not include Firefight, because if Firefight was present they wouldn't need to word it that way.

Amen brother

by TheeChaos @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:09 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

We just talked about this haha

But yea I understand. The only surprising thing is the crucible, beyond that everything is systematic. Generally speaking, there is ONE way to beat the raids, every mission, and every nightfall. Yes you can do like some of these try-hards beating atheon and crota solo, but generally you beat him ONE way with a group. Sure the nightfall modifiers do change things, but not really. You always hide, bang bang, ok done. All that changed was how fast you killed him. I really hope House of Wolves adds something unsuspecting. maybe a raid boss that just moves around randomly and will chase you down. Rant over, I could go on for days.

Higher level content that puts you in a room

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:18 (3349 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Where you can't back out of it and sees if you can survive.

I understand that they couldn't have that type of pressure 1-20. But I don't want higher level content to be a more lethal version of the pop out and pop pop. I want there to be no cheese spot and for it to be balanced such that it's survivable to be stuck in the same space as the enemies.

Put my back against a wall, not a stairwell I can retreat down.

I miss braking into shotgun dancing.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:20 (3349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Where you can't back out of it and sees if you can survive.

I understand that they couldn't have that type of pressure 1-20. But I don't want higher level content to be a more lethal version of the pop out and pop pop. I want there to be no cheese spot and for it to be balanced such that it's survivable to be stuck in the same space as the enemies.

Put my back against a wall, not a stairwell I can retreat down.

As a Titan I yearn for this on a daily basis.

Killed Valus Ta'Ruc with all Shotties (and other thoughts)

by Kahzgul, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:36 (3349 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

It was fun and interesting. This was in a normal strike, so it was super easy mode anyway, but we put up a bubble near him with Blessing of Light, and then ran out of the bubble, shottied him til he did his knockback, which knocked us through the bubble, refreshing our armor, and repeated. We killed him surprisingly quickly, and it was really fun. It actually gave us a reason to kill the adds, too, since I needed to refresh my super.

My main problem is that the punishments for dying (especially in nightfall) are so harsh that it encourages players to play as safely as possible in order to stay alive and get loot, rather then being forgiving to the point that experimentation is rewarded.

All of the bosses have such terrible AI that the fights aren't really - in and of themselves - fun. They're all super predictable and 1-shot deadly. It's dumb (and why I quit WoW). I'd love to fight a boss that had great AI but wasn't as 1-shotty, so that when he surprised me I could stay alive by running or something. Another part of the problem is that the player has very limited verbs: Shoot, jump, move. I'd love to see better use of these, by giving us blocks to push to create or block sightlines, things to jump on that activated other things, or stuff to shoot that wasn't obviously "the boss" but that assisted in the fight somehow.

The thing about needing multiplayer custom games is that players enjoy putting limitations on their gear in order to experience the game in a different way. Raids and strikes need the same sort of custom options. Shotguns only, no shields, grenades explode for 5x damage... you want options to make them more fun or interesting.

Destiny, for the most part, isn't fun enough to want to play without there also being a reward at the end, so if custom games were a thing that offered no reward, I'm not sure how utilized they'd be. And if they did offer rewards, they'd be exploited.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:59 (3349 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My main problem is that the punishments for dying (especially in nightfall) are so harsh that it encourages players to play as safely as possible in order to stay alive and get loot, rather then being forgiving to the point that experimentation is rewarded.

All of the bosses have such terrible AI that the fights aren't really - in and of themselves - fun. They're all super predictable and 1-shot deadly. It's dumb (and why I quit WoW). I'd love to fight a boss that had great AI but wasn't as 1-shotty, so that when he surprised me I could stay alive by running or something. Another part of the problem is that the player has very limited verbs: Shoot, jump, move. I'd love to see better use of these, by giving us blocks to push to create or block sightlines, things to jump on that activated other things, or stuff to shoot that wasn't obviously "the boss" but that assisted in the fight somehow.

I have two thoughts on this.

1. I agree with the lack of verbs. I feel like we have these awesome jumping and moving abilities that allow for mobility that aren't truly used to their fullest potential.

2. I wish they would also implement something like the Hunter (Halo) Type AI (they kinda do with Phalanxes) Where you need to agro an enemy to allow another guardian to get to a critical spot. On the same note. Rarely does flanking help. In fact, most of the time flanking actually hurts you if you want to get precision shots on most enemies like the Vex or Cabal (stupid hunching jerks)

by Kahzgul, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:53 (3349 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

1. I agree with the lack of verbs. I feel like we have these awesome jumping and moving abilities that allow for mobility that aren't truly used to their fullest potential.

2. I wish they would also implement something like the Hunter (Halo) Type AI (they kinda do with Phalanxes) Where you need to agro an enemy to allow another guardian to get to a critical spot. On the same note. Rarely does flanking help. In fact, most of the time flanking actually hurts you if you want to get precision shots on most enemies like the Vex or Cabal (stupid hunching jerks)

Oh man, so true! I always want to fight the Destiny enemies face-on for that same reason. Grrr. I really want flanking (and strategy) to be a thing!

You don't get it

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:44 (3349 days ago) @ TheeChaos
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:47

But yea I understand. The only surprising thing is the crucible, beyond that everything is systematic. Generally speaking, there is ONE way to beat the raids, every mission, and every nightfall. Yes you can do like some of these try-hards beating atheon and crota solo, but generally you beat him ONE way with a group. Sure the nightfall modifiers do change things, but not really. You always hide, bang bang, ok done. All that changed was how fast you killed him. I really hope House of Wolves adds something unsuspecting. maybe a raid boss that just moves around randomly and will chase you down. Rant over, I could go on for days.

You don't get it.

People do not want to actually be challenged this way. Witness the Crota raid, where the sword bearer hides or otherwise goes somewhere unusual. What do you hear? "Bullshit, Bungie fix this!" as opposed to adapting and sending someone to find him and lure him out.

Atheon doesn't teleport three people. "Bullshit!" as opposed to sending someone through the portal to help and deal.

People want to look on youtube, copy the strat, and have the run go ezpz so they can get their gear. There is no room for improvisation in the fights. It has to be clockwork. That's what MMO raids are after all. You have people like Datto saying as such, even going so far as to design an incredibly boring and restrictive sounding raid boss, which is worse than what we currently have. It would be a disaster in an FPS game.

If you DO find a cool new way to do a fight, it gets fixed because fuck you for being creative and standing on sniper platforms. You gotta get your gear the hard way.

Destiny is an MMO, so it brings with it MMO baggage. Now you know why I hate MMOs on principle, and resent how a great FPS game has been perverted with MMO elements.

I kind of agree.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:52 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's why I like normal mode Crota. You can often do it flying by the seat of your pants, blasting him on any side, chasing after the swordbearer, and all that stuff.

But, on hard mode, as it is, at least, you kinda HAVE to be perfect so you're forced into one particular strategy. I hope when we get higher levels some of this stuff will become more fun as it allows sloppy play.

This just in: Forge in Destiny!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:57 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

This just in: Forge in Destiny!

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:05 (3349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I played some Minecraft this weekend, it was nice to build stuff.

Then I went to Lowe's and bought a bunch of lumber. Next weekend is project weekend.

With you

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:20 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

I made a warlock just to see how they play, given I don't need any gear rewards or anything anymore. Warlocks are fun.

But knowing that HoW is coming, I feel like just waiting. Why level my Warlock up now and waste time, when I can just do it when HoW hits? Why go get to 32 and the Crota gear, when I can just go straight to the vendor gear and the new raid?

Literally the only thing I want is Hawkmoon, and I'm content to just wait till fall and buy it from Xur when he'll be able to start selling it.

I'm not going to upgrade any of my exotics, since I'll have to do it again in HoW. Even if they change it so you only have to level the last few nodes again, you'd still have to drop another exotic shard for that last node. The gear treadmill is not a good motivator.

Everything is telling me not to play this game.

I enjoy crucible, unlike you, so Iron banner should be fun this week. But that's really it until HoW.

With you

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:02 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But knowing that HoW is coming, I feel like just waiting. Why level my Warlock up now and waste time, when I can just do it when HoW hits? Why go get to 32 and the Crota gear, when I can just go straight to the vendor gear and the new raid?

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't put in the effort to get another character to 32 at this point. Just do what you do, and if you happen to get marks or armor drops from just playing what you would have played anyway, you can get to 31 ok. But making a special effort to level up when you already have another 32 character? Nah.

Personally, my strategy is to not give a crap about 32 in the first place. My characters are all still 31 and likely to stay that way. It's good enough to do the stuff I want to do. I occasionally raid but I'm not likely to make a serious run at CE hard mode until HoW lets me level up with Vanguard gear, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I did the same thing with VoG hard mode.

Different Mentalities.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:08 (3349 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't put in the effort to get another character to 32 at this point. Just do what you do, and if you happen to get marks or armor drops from just playing what you would have played anyway, you can get to 31 ok. But making a special effort to level up when you already have another 32 character? Nah.

Personally, my strategy is to not give a crap about 32 in the first place. My characters are all still 31 and likely to stay that way. It's good enough to do the stuff I want to do. I occasionally raid but I'm not likely to make a serious run at CE hard mode until HoW lets me level up with Vanguard gear, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I did the same thing with VoG hard mode.

Destiny seems to play very differently to people with different motivations and different attitudes. If you need to complete everything immediately the game will burn out for you after hard mode raids. If you'd rather take your time or can only play a few hours a week due to work/family/etc, I imagine it stays fresher longer. This forum also seems very 1%ish, in terms of completion; I don't see a lot of the most frequent posters who play casually. I'm actually quite curious what percentage of the player population plays 'casually'. Although determining what actually constitutes casual in this game is a monster of a different nature.

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:12 (3349 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Destiny seems to play very differently to people with different motivations and different attitudes. If you need to complete everything immediately the game will burn out for you after hard mode raids. If you'd rather take your time or can only play a few hours a week due to work/family/etc, I imagine it stays fresher longer. This forum also seems very 1%ish, in terms of completion; I don't see a lot of the most frequent posters who play casually. I'm actually quite curious what percentage of the player population plays 'casually'. Although determining what actually constitutes casual in this game is a monster of a different nature.

I consider myself a casual player. I don't go for completion, and just do what I find to be fun. I just happen to find the high level activities the most fun.

The problem is playing the hardest parts of the game is not as simple as selecting "Legendary". You've got to get to at least level 30 before the game will even let you in to the Crota raid on hard mode.

Different Mentalities.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:18 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Although determining what actually constitutes casual in this game is a monster of a different nature.

I consider myself a casual player. I don't go for completion, and just do what I find to be fun.

This is precisely what I'm talkin' about. Casual in this game is probably more of a bell curve than it is a clear demarcation. I'd say it's safe to say you're more on the right slope of the bell curve than the left slope, but even so, you bring up a good point about fun.

"Casual" is a difficult term to quantify.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:37 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

IIRC, One of Bungie's presentations at GDC brought up the fact that the daily average playtime in destiny was about 3 hours, and more on weekends. THAT IS A LOT OF HOURS TO BE JUST "AVERAGE".

What quantifies someone as "casual" in this case? 1 hour? An hour and a half?

I'm not going to try to establish or make an argument here, because the term itself is so nebulous. But I do wonder what the average (or "casual") player's daily grind looks like, in comparison to us here on DBO.

"Casual" is a difficult term to quantify.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:37 (3349 days ago) @ CyberKN

IIRC, One of Bungie's presentations at GDC brought up the fact that the daily average playtime in destiny was about 3 hours, and more on weekends. THAT IS A LOT OF HOURS TO BE JUST "AVERAGE".

What quantifies someone as "casual" in this case? 1 hour? An hour and a half?

I'm not going to try to establish or make an argument here, because the term itself is so nebulous. But I do wonder what the average (or "casual") player's daily grind looks like, in comparison to us here on DBO.

Now I am much much less than 3 hours a day. I probably play for 2-3 hours two days a week. So I'm 2/7 as hardcore as the average player based on that.

I get 1-3 hours in a week

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:16 (3349 days ago) @ iconicbanana

And yeah, it's pretty fresh for me. I rarely play by myself and just play with my friends who play a bit more than I do. It's still fresh to me. I don't care what my level is once I hit all the content and just enjoy the raid runs as they come.

If I sit down and they're not on, I'll play one of the million games I've got from Gold or PS+ or even right now I'm enjoying playing MCC Campaign or Multiplayer depending on my mood.

Different Mentalities.

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:31 (3349 days ago) @ iconicbanana

You can exhaust the content quickly, or exhaust the content slowly, but the content gets exhausted regardless.

It's like a weekend Netflix binge on a whole season of a show or watching 1 episode a week. It might take longer to consume, but it's the same show.

Last week of Destiny's endgame is the same as next week of Destiny's endgame. That is unfortunate, and while I've always enjoyed a good lull in a game, I hope Bungie comes up with something, anything, to spice things up on a regular basis.

I think "new" is all Bungie needs to excite us. It could be as simple as a limited-time public event in a single location. New bounties, or some kind of community bounty. Debuff armor. New chests hidden in Patrol. Something PvP-related.

Different Mentalities.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:39 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

You can exhaust the content quickly, or exhaust the content slowly, but the content gets exhausted regardless.

It's like a weekend Netflix binge on a whole season of a show or watching 1 episode a week. It might take longer to consume, but it's the same show.

Oh, definitely not disagreeing with that. I'm just curious what percentage of the player population is burnt out on the end-game content.

And how many people do complete everything and then actually stop playing? At this point completing the game seems to be escaping the skinner box.

Last week of Destiny's endgame is the same as next week of Destiny's endgame. That is unfortunate, and while I've always enjoyed a good lull in a game, I hope Bungie comes up with something, anything, to spice things up on a regular basis.

I think "new" is all Bungie needs to excite us. It could be as simple as a limited-time public event in a single location. New bounties, or some kind of community bounty. Debuff armor. New chests hidden in Patrol. Something PvP-related.

I'm gonna be really bummed if Trials of Osiris comes out in April.

Different Mentalities.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 16:18 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

When we first learned that HoW wouldn't arrive until april/may 2015, my first thought was "oh boy, that's a LONG TIME with no new content". As great as the 1.11 update was, I'm disappointed that we haven't gotten anything new to do since TBO was released.

I've speculated before that Bungie's "sustain" team for Destiny is a lot smaller than some of us might first assume, and lulls like this reinforce the idea for me. The studio at large very well could be all-hands-on-deck with Comet & Destiny 2 at this point, with a very small group of programmers and designers and 1 or 2 artists working on patches/updates/House of Wolves.

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:44 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've speculated before that Bungie's "sustain" team for Destiny is a lot smaller than some of us might first assume, and lulls like this reinforce the idea for me. The studio at large very well could be all-hands-on-deck with Comet & Destiny 2 at this point, with a very small group of programmers and designers and 1 or 2 artists working on patches/updates/House of Wolves.

This should give you some idea of how impossible the MMO model of constant content is to sustain, especially for an MMOFPS. Bungie has a huge team, huge budgets, huge talent, yet the content trickles in. Years ago I said this aspect would fail, and it has.

You have a game whose central design philosophy revolves around playing daily, yet there is not enough content to play daily in a meaningful way. Since Bungie cannot deliver the content, the only sensible option is to abandon the idea of your game being constantly played, and turn Destiny into a regular FPS with strong co-op elements, which is designed to be finished and 'beaten'.

Different Mentalities.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:44 (3349 days ago) @ iconicbanana

This forum also seems very 1%ish, in terms of completion; I don't see a lot of the most frequent posters who play casually. I'm actually quite curious what percentage of the player population plays 'casually'. Although determining what actually constitutes casual in this game is a monster of a different nature.

According to PS4 trophy data, about 80% of Destiny players have never even played a raid. So there's that.

"I have zero friends."

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:48 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This forum also seems very 1%ish, in terms of completion; I don't see a lot of the most frequent posters who play casually. I'm actually quite curious what percentage of the player population plays 'casually'. Although determining what actually constitutes casual in this game is a monster of a different nature.

According to PS4 trophy data, about 80% of Destiny players have never even played a raid. So there's that.

That in particular doesn't blow my mind so much, because I think in general most people don't want to play with strangers, and/or don't know how to go about finding groups to play with. That may actually be the definition of casual in destiny: players who don't want to play end-game content because of a lack of friends in the game, who don't pursue joining a clan or using the100/lfg to acquire friends, and who ultimately never raid or nightfall due to a lack of teammates.

Different Mentalities.

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 15:52 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What's the % of trophy data for Use of Weapons?

Different Mentalities.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 16:07 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

What's the % of trophy data for Use of Weapons?

99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%

;)

Fun fact, almost 2% of PS4 players never completed the 2nd story mission O_o

Different Mentalities.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:21 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Fun fact, almost 2% of PS4 players never completed the 2nd story mission O_o

I think when looking at that statistic, you have to keep in mind that it includes anyone who ever touched Destiny at all. Someone who launched the game/put the disc in and then sat at the title screen and never played probably counts. So that 2% is probably the people who borrowed a game disc from someone, stuck it in, and then never got around to it before they had to give the disc back.

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:45 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So 80% of players have only played the worst parts of Destiny. Yet another argument for making the raid accessible at low levels.

Different Mentalities.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 18:01 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So 80% of players have only played the worst parts of Destiny. Yet another argument for making the raid accessible at low levels.

Once again, I'm thanking whoever's in charge that you aren't in charge. :)

(I, personally, have less fun playing the raids than I do doing a lot of other things in Destiny. I think there's probably a significant chunk of the userbase that would fall in my camp over yours.)

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 18:06 (3349 days ago) @ Claude Errera

(I, personally, have less fun playing the raids than I do doing a lot of other things in Destiny. I think there's probably a significant chunk of the userbase that would fall in my camp over yours.)

Okay, but you can still do those other things if the raid had an easy mode that was level 20. It would not have one effect on you, but it would have a positive effect on many many people who enjoy or would enjoy the raid, but simply can't level up or don't want to. There is absolutely no downside at all.

Different Mentalities.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 23:19 (3349 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That could very well be true, but if they've never even played the raids, we can never know ;)

I wrote an article a while back where I basically pitched my idea for Destiny 2. I suggested a campaign similar in structure to what Rockstar did with GTA V, where a series of increasingly difficult Raids mark the major milestones through the campaign, with smaller missions and strikes filling the gaps in between.

As Cody suggests, it wouldn't really harm players who prefer other activites (since we'd all be through the main campaign in the first week or two, and could then focus on replaying the stuff we actually want to play) but it could help introduce players to the raids sooner, and give the lower leveled guardians a chance to have a similar (if easier) experience.

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite activity in Destiny? You seem to enjoy PvP a lot. Personally, I think Patrol has a lot of potential. Playing it with friends is great, and I think there's plenty of room for Bungie to do lots of interesting things with that mode in the future.

Different Mentalities.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 01:48 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite activity in Destiny? You seem to enjoy PvP a lot. Personally, I think Patrol has a lot of potential. Playing it with friends is great, and I think there's plenty of room for Bungie to do lots of interesting things with that mode in the future.

It really depends on the day, I guess. PvP is high up there, because it's different all the time. I enjoy running through the Daily Heroics, I enjoy (most of) the Nightfalls, I enjoy patrolling. I enjoy the raids, periodically, too. I just find that they're higher in the frustration category than most other activities. ;)

Different Mentalities.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:54 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't think this is necessarially a good metric for drawing conclusions. I mean, wasn't there a study years ago that said that something like 80% of players didn't finish the single player of their games? I remember it being a reason developers touted as to why they put more focus on the first half of the game than the second half.

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 18:00 (3349 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I don't think this is necessarially a good metric for drawing conclusions. I mean, wasn't there a study years ago that said that something like 80% of players didn't finish the single player of their games? I remember it being a reason developers touted as to why they put more focus on the first half of the game than the second half.

Ahah. If that's true, then these developers are idiots.

1. If the players don't finish, then all the effort you put into the beginning didn't work to get them hooked after all. You've failed.
2. These players demonstrate a lack of interest in finishing your game. Why are you trying (and failing, as in point 1) to please the people who don't want to play?
3. The end is JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE BEGINNING for a satisfying experience.

Different Mentalities.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 16, 2015, 18:24 (3349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

1. If the players don't finish, then all the effort you put into the beginning didn't work to get them hooked after all. You've failed.
2. These players demonstrate a lack of interest in finishing your game. Why are you trying (and failing, as in point 1) to please the people who don't want to play?

Again, not necessarially true on any count, regardless of how you take it. There have been multiple articles on why making a game easier and more accessible doesn't necessarially make it more fun or better. In fact, there's high rate of players who forgo the campaign entirely in favor of the PVP portion.

And yet, despite all this data that no matter how good you make the campaign people will quickly abandon it in favor of PVP, the exclusion of a single-player campaign mode is seen as a sign of laziness on the part of the developer. See Titanfall, which had solid gameplay, good mechanics, fun multiplayer, and was lambasted for not having a single player campaign.

I'm not defending the industry here. Believe me, I'm not. There's a lot wrong with it, and unfortunately I don't have the patience to explain what is wrong, or how many of your suggestions fit in with that problem. However, I would suggest that you look into systems thinking, as it goes in depth into system tampering. You might find it enlightening.

Different Mentalities.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 19:06 (3349 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Again, not necessarially true on any count, regardless of how you take it. There have been multiple articles on why making a game easier and more accessible doesn't necessarially make it more fun or better.

I don't think I ever advocated making a game easier. I'm advocating making sure the entire experience is the best it can be, and not pouring focus on the beginning only. It's a losing strategy. You won't win over the people who stop playing, and you will disappoint those who don't.

Different Mentalities.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 23:11 (3349 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Again, not necessarially true on any count, regardless of how you take it. There have been multiple articles on why making a game easier and more accessible doesn't necessarially make it more fun or better. In fact, there's high rate of players who forgo the campaign entirely in favor of the PVP portion.

And yet, despite all this data that no matter how good you make the campaign people will quickly abandon it in favor of PVP, the exclusion of a single-player campaign mode is seen as a sign of laziness on the part of the developer. See Titanfall, which had solid gameplay, good mechanics, fun multiplayer, and was lambasted for not having a single player campaign.

I'm not defending the industry here. Believe me, I'm not. There's a lot wrong with it, and unfortunately I don't have the patience to explain what is wrong, or how many of your suggestions fit in with that problem. However, I would suggest that you look into systems thinking, as it goes in depth into system tampering. You might find it enlightening.

I think you're underestimating the number of players who focus on single player while completely ignoring multiplayer. If I remember correctly, the stats for Halo 3 showed that 70% of the people who played the game never played a single round of multiplayer, ever. Multiplayer gamers are typically some of the most hardcore & vocal fans within a community, and as such we often forget that we are the minority in terms of actual numbers.

Different Mentalities.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Wednesday, March 18, 2015, 03:37 (3348 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think you're underestimating the number of players who focus on single player while completely ignoring multiplayer. If I remember correctly, the stats for Halo 3 showed that 70% of the people who played the game never played a single round of multiplayer, ever. Multiplayer gamers are typically some of the most hardcore & vocal fans within a community, and as such we often forget that we are the minority in terms of actual numbers.

I missed that stat. Hrm. If true, it does change things a bit. I'll have to do some more research. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. (And sorry it took me so long to respond, I completely missed it.)

How I'm keeping things fresh

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 16:58 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

Certainly sounds like a good time to take a break :)

I've managed to avoid hitting "the wall" so far. I've come extremely close several times, but so far I've managed to find ways to keep things fresh enough to still be enjoyable.

My latest technique is so simple I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

My usual Destiny routine, when I'm not raiding, is pretty standard. I pick the character I feel like playing as, go to the tower, grab a bunch of bounties, then plug my way through missions and strikes until I've completed the bounties or I don't feel like playing anymore. Then I go back to the tower, equip the weapons I'm working on upgrading, and cash the bounties.

Here's the thing: only last week did I actually start USING the weapons I was working on upgrading. For months, I had settled into the habit of sticking with my favorite loadout as I completed the bounties. To make matters worse, I have THE SAME FAVORITE LOADOUT across all 3 characters. Basically, I was going out of my way to make the game as repetitive as possible.

So now, my new rule is to actually use the gear I'm working on upgrading. Not my favorite gun? No problem, it's a change of pace. Not the best weapon type for a given mission or encounter? That's fine... I'm up for a challenge.

It's amazing how a simple little change of habit like this can breath new life into the same tired missions :)

I always did that

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:19 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It meant the guns got upgraded quicker, since using them and bounties is the only way to upgrade, and I got a chance to see which ones I liked enough to actually KEEP and upgrade. There are too many weapons and not enough space, so playing it differently with different weapons is something I always did, but I have still hit the wall a few times, but coming back for exotics is what keeps me going. Now this did change when i finally got Gjhallarhorn, because it's basically an instant win button so it's hard NOT to equip. But I still switch up to different heavies all the time. Same for PvP, I will try not to play the same weapons, which is why I do terrible sometimes :)

I always did that

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, March 16, 2015, 17:33 (3349 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

It meant the guns got upgraded quicker, since using them and bounties is the only way to upgrade, and I got a chance to see which ones I liked enough to actually KEEP and upgrade. There are too many weapons and not enough space, so playing it differently with different weapons is something I always did, but I have still hit the wall a few times, but coming back for exotics is what keeps me going. Now this did change when i finally got Gjhallarhorn, because it's basically an instant win button so it's hard NOT to equip. But I still switch up to different heavies all the time. Same for PvP, I will try not to play the same weapons, which is why I do terrible sometimes :)

One of my problems with the weapons in Destiny is that a lot of them aren't particularly fun, useful, or satisfying until they're fully upgraded. Combined with the fact that the XP you gain by using them in combat is minimal, I slipped into the habit of using my favorite weapons all the time and relying completely on bounties to upgrade new gear.

But after using nothing but Fatebringer for over 2 months, the change of pace is enjoyable in its own right.

Fatebringer. :D

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, March 16, 2015, 19:02 (3349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So, I don't have a fatebringer.

I've sort of avoided getting one for this reason. I use a number of weapons here and there, and my favorites change based on what activities I'm doing.

I've avoided getting fatebringer for precisely this reason. I don't want a weapon that is so much better than everything else.

This is also how I feel about gjallarhorn. That's a tough one for me because I'm a big rocket launcher fan in FPS games in general. I did some amazing things with half-life's guided missile rocket launcher. I was amazingly good with the RL in Doom. I loved the RL in Marathon. I'm a RL guy. But the problem is, most RL's in destiny don't even come close to the utility of gjallarhorn in many situations. Gally should be a 1 tube RL to even it up with everything else probably. It's just too good.

So I've avoided pushing on getting a fatebringer. I don't want only one primary that is the best thing I'll ever use. I want variety, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little to help keep me on my toes.

But I'm also an anomaly in that I like a real challenge, rather than a script to follow to get what I want. =)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 16, 2015, 19:09 (3349 days ago) @ slycrel

So I've avoided pushing on getting a fatebringer. I don't want only one primary that is the best thing I'll ever use. I want variety, and I'm willing to sacrifice a little to help keep me on my toes.

It's not the be all end all. I have one and I use plenty of other primaries. It's great, but you won't want to use it in every situation.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, March 16, 2015, 19:12 (3349 days ago) @ slycrel

Yeah, that's what I'm going to say from now on. It's not that I try and try and it never drops. It's because I don't want to use it, and....Ugh, forget it. FATEBRINGER, WHY DO YOU AVOID ME???

Have fatebringer, don't use it much

by Earendil, Monday, March 16, 2015, 20:00 (3349 days ago) @ slycrel

I use it, sure, but there are plenty of other weapons that in most situations not only ARE better, but are also more fun :)

Also, Gjallahorn isn't the end all of rocket launchers. I much prefer Truth in Crucible.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 01:43 (3349 days ago) @ Earendil

That's like me with Vex Mythoclast. When I do use it, I run out of ammo.

Disclaimer: it's not upgraded.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 13:51 (3348 days ago) @ Kermit

I always use it on any nightfall with arcburn, and during the abyss, other times are hit & miss, but It's pretty much my goto handcannon (unless I want to use Hawkmoon for some reason)

If only Destiny was Skyrim.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 09:58 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

I was thinking about this, thinking about games running their course, when it occured to me that I never finished Skyrim. I stoppled playing because it had so much content and I wanted to play something else for abit.

If only Destiny was Skyrim.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:38 (3346 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I was thinking about this, thinking about games running their course, when it occured to me that I never finished Skyrim. I stoppled playing because it had so much content and I wanted to play something else for abit.

I haven't either, and I was talking to someone else who hadn't finished. But I suffer from a case of "If you think you are going the right direction, go a different direction to see if there are goodies there" Which in a game like Skyrim is a bad idea.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is 1 week away

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Tuesday, March 17, 2015, 11:56 (3348 days ago) @ petetheduck

Hopefully it's not botched like the MCC was.

You can bring your guardian forward from previous gen. I never finished all the Borderlands 2 DLC, and never played the Pre-sequel, so I expect to be spending some time with that starting next week.

I wonder if that had any effect on the timing of HoW? They didn't want to release at the same time as Borderlands?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread