Update's Up! (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:02 (3319 days ago)
edited by dogcow, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:13

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12707

Vault Space upgrade:
24 Armor
36 Wepons
24 General
old gen consoles lose the compare feature to enable the larger vault.

Update's Up!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:09 (3319 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm a bit surprised that the vault is only expanding by 4 armor slots, 4 "general" slots and 16 weapon slots.

Apparently even that was quite a strain on memory constraints (at least for the last-gen consoles).

The more I think about it, this little bit of extra vault space is probably enough to keep me happy for a while, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of complainers on teh internets.

Update's Up!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:13 (3319 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I'm a bit surprised that the vault is only expanding by 4 armor slots, 4 "general" slots and 16 weapon slots.

Apparently even that was quite a strain on memory constraints (at least for the last-gen consoles).

The more I think about it, this little bit of extra vault space is probably enough to keep me happy for a while, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of complainers on teh internets.

Yeah, I thought a second "page" of space would have been the way to do it, but doubling the total memory for all players was probably a pipe dream. I did read that and go, "I do believe the b.net will be somewhat underwhelmed by that pittance".

Update's Up!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:18 (3319 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah, I thought a second "page" of space would have been the way to do it, but doubling the total memory for all players was probably a pipe dream. I did read that and go, "I do believe the b.net will be somewhat underwhelmed by that pittance".

I wonder if they could have split it up across multiple screens to reduce memory load. I bet the load time between screens would have been entirely too slow, or if they have to load the entire contents of the vault at once for some reason.

I suspect this is a stop gap measure until they can make deeper changes allowing them to add even more space to the vault (such as changing their api to allow for loading just PART of the vault).

Update's Up!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:23 (3319 days ago) @ dogcow

At the bottom, Deej mentions:

We know there are a bunch of players in the world who don’t have enough space for Armor and General items. We’ll have a solution for you in the future.

Hopefully the "Armor" part of it is a customization overhaul, where you "unlock" pieces of armour, rather than having to store it.

Vault vault.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 27, 2015, 04:18 (3318 days ago) @ CyberKN

Bill's Master Rahool's Vault Storage System.

You get 12 7 vaults that you can cycle between.

Update's Up!

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:19 (3319 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I think you're right about extra pages though.... The way I read what he said in there, the memory problem is due to how much can be shown on the screen at once. It seems to me that - instead of maintaining the single page - if they made one page for armor, another for weapons, and another for general stuff, they ought to be able to get around the memory issue while still giving us way more vault space (although I am obviously not very knowledgeable on the matter).

It's impossible to tell, but...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:29 (3319 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I think you're right about extra pages though.... The way I read what he said in there, the memory problem is due to how much can be shown on the screen at once. It seems to me that - instead of maintaining the single page - if they made one page for armor, another for weapons, and another for general stuff, they ought to be able to get around the memory issue while still giving us way more vault space (although I am obviously not very knowledgeable on the matter).

I imagine the Tower itself is pretty memory intensive, with all the various unique NPCs. This might be as far as they can push it without a complete overhaul. It's easy to forget how restricted last-gen consoles are, in terms of hardware.

*sigh*

by Penthesilean, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:40 (3319 days ago) @ dogcow

Well, at the risk of being either openly or passive-aggressively mocked for it, this is a serious disappointment. I love this game deeply, but the lack of space has been such a hassle it's become pretty much intolerable. To me this is a worst-case version of a worst-case solution. There's no way this will be enough, especially after the next dlc. At least I'll apparently be in the minority with that problem. It's a technical issue beyond anyone's 'fault', obviously.

I was so excited for this, too. Maybe I simply play this game too much, and just need to walk away.

Facepalm

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:46 (3319 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:04

Vault Space upgrade:
24 Armor
36 Wepons
24 General
old gen consoles lose the compare feature to enable the larger vault.

While I appreciate 16 extra weapons, the best thing would have been to remove the separated nature of the vault, and simply have general spaces!

Why can't I put a weapon in a blank armor space? Just give us 84 GENERAL slots, and we gain so much more functionality without an increase in memory requirements. I mean, most high level players can hold all the armor they generally want on their characters, and have a bunch of free space in their armor spots. Add a way to sort, and boom. Hell, don't have a sort. Even that'd be better.

If you are hurting for amor or item space, put it in the weapons slots. Why is that so hard?!

Also I am baffled as to memory constraints. You are telling me that a system with 512MB of ram can't handle storing any more than 84 items? How the hell is item storage implemented that that takes up so much memory? Item descriptions, stats, and upgrades should be a few KB. Icons should be a few KB.

I am really really curious, but I am glad they are not letting the old consoles get in the way of progress. However, even though this is sold as a short term solution, how are we going to get any better in house of wolves if memory is an issue? I don't want to sound like a negative nancy, but this is really underwhelming.

If memory is a problem, I have the perfect solution. You can only access your vault FROM ORBIT. In orbit, how much is loaded? Better yet, it saves loading and a trip to the tower.

I'm pretty sure they don't de-load the Tower when Vaulting

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:49 (3319 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 20:53 (3319 days ago) @ ZackDark

So there's no way when you bring up the menu to purge 2 or 3 megs of data for the items? Okay then. Again, I'm no programmer but it seems like something could have been done earlier in development to make this work better.

Maybe they already do?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:08 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am under the impression the Tower is always maxing-out the last-gen consoles. So even if they de-load everything that easily reloads, they are still short on memory.

One complaint you could make is how the menu takes up so much memory in the first place.

Either way, I don't think I use Compare at all when at the Vault, so whatever.

Maybe they already do?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 27, 2015, 01:54 (3318 days ago) @ ZackDark

Either way, I don't think I use Compare at all when at the Vault, so whatever.

^This^

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:20 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So there's no way when you bring up the menu to purge 2 or 3 megs of data for the items? Okay then. Again, I'm no programmer but it seems like something could have been done earlier in development to make this work better.

I think you're seriously underestimating how completely exhausted the ram on the 360 and PS3 is just to run these games. Back when Mass Effect 3 came out, a bunch of people complained that Bioware had removed the "holster weapon" animation. Bioware came out and admitted that they had cut the feature, because they were literally 100% out of ram. They couldn't even squeeze in something as simple as a little 10-frame animation without cutting another feature.

Sure, Bungie could purge some of the memory when you bring up the menu, but that takes time. Remember how the 360 menus are already painfully slow? I suspect there's some ram purging going on already. I'm sure 360 players don't want that wait to get even longer.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:33 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think you're seriously underestimating how completely exhausted the ram on the 360 and PS3 is just to run these games.

Then it is simply a misallocation of resources. The tower should have used 2 or 3MB less geometry and textures, or however much it takes to display a few thumbnails.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:38 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think you're seriously underestimating how completely exhausted the ram on the 360 and PS3 is just to run these games.

Then it is simply a misallocation of resources. The tower should have used 2 or 3MB less geometry and textures, or however much it takes to display a few thumbnails.

To please the 20% of players over rank 30 who are running out of space (even smaller percentage of players under 30), while making the tower look uglier for everyone. Bungie has to prioritize things that effect everyone :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:48 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

To please the 20% of players over rank 30 who are running out of space (even smaller percentage of players under 30), while making the tower look uglier for everyone. Bungie has to prioritize things that effect everyone :)

The interface effects everyone. Look at how miserable it apparently is to open the menu and use an ammo synth during combat on older systems. The next gen consoles each dedicate an entire core to the os and interface, because it is so damn important that everything be responsive. A responsive interface should always get priority. It should at least be functional before the pictures load.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:58 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The interface effects everyone. Look at how miserable it apparently is to open the menu and use an ammo synth during combat on older systems. The next gen consoles each dedicate an entire core to the os and interface, because it is so damn important that everything be responsive. A responsive interface should always get priority. It should at least be functional before the pictures load.

Exactly... That's why they aren't adding MORE space. It would have a negative impact on the usability of the interface.

More space in the immediate future

by Earendil, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 22:45 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The wording Deej used implied that there were other more long term solutions on the table, but none of them would be available or ready in time for HoW. We might still see a better solution implemented in time for Comet.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 22:48 (3318 days ago) @ Earendil

The wording Deej used implied that there were other more long term solutions on the table, but none of them would be available or ready in time for HoW. We might still see a better solution implemented in time for Comet.

We are apparently at the limit of what last gen can handle. How is it going to get any better than this?

That's an easy one...

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:42 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Materials and color swatches could be reduced to a general number (or menu in the case of colors) for the character, rather than taking up inventory item slots. Then when you get a "new" color or whatnot, it's a consumable that adds to your color menu selection, rather than an item that takes up valuable space.

Inventory management goes hand in hand with RPG-ish games, and destiny is no exception here. Lots and lots of problems and various solutions to these sorts of problems. The best, like how the postmaster works in destiny, are custom to the game. Bungie knows what they are doing here, I'm not worried. I'm sure there's plenty more good to come in this realm.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:15 (3318 days ago) @ Earendil

They've been telling us the game is going to get better since it launched. It's marginally, minisculely better. But, basically, they're lying. Destiny was clearly not designed to be adaptable or responsive. Weapon balance is a thing that needs months of testing, apparently, rather than a thing that can be tweaked live every week and then observed to see how it does. Adding something to the game world as simple as the loot cave easter egg was apparently quite the challenge, implying that which enemies spawn and where on a map is a hard coded thing and not a scripted event (that could be easily changed or modified over time).

Heck, even Xur's loot and the bounties available on the vendors all seem to be hard-coded things rather than easily curated lists.

If there's one thing Bungie's learned from this experience, I really hope it's that they need to design always-online games to be far more nimble in the future.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 27, 2015, 00:11 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

They've been telling us the game is going to get better since it launched. It's marginally, minisculely better. But, basically, they're lying. Destiny was clearly not designed to be adaptable or responsive. Weapon balance is a thing that needs months of testing, apparently, rather than a thing that can be tweaked live every week and then observed to see how it does. Adding something to the game world as simple as the loot cave easter egg was apparently quite the challenge, implying that which enemies spawn and where on a map is a hard coded thing and not a scripted event (that could be easily changed or modified over time).

Heck, even Xur's loot and the bounties available on the vendors all seem to be hard-coded things rather than easily curated lists.

If there's one thing Bungie's learned from this experience, I really hope it's that they need to design always-online games to be far more nimble in the future.

Well, we have different views on these events. I don't see any lies. Destiny has changed a lot compared to all of my Halo games where nothing ever changed except some weapon quirks in MP a couple of times.

In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a game where the UI has actually changed and made room for new things like Destiny. Perhaps on the PC this kind of thing happens more often, but I've never seen it on a console.

Also weapon balance changes could probably be thrown out every week and seen how they do like you suggest, but that seems to be more of a design choice, not some limitation. I, for one, would much rather have weapon tweaks happen as little as possible, because I hate getting used to the changes. I do not want to be a guinea pig on that front. I'm glad Bungie tests and researches internally for as long as they do before letting those tweaks out in the wild.

I would like to see enemy spawns, bounties, and related things be refreshed from time to time, and hope that still happens. Just because some things haven't changed yet, doesn't mean they can't.

+1

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:32 (3318 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

Compare to ME3, CoD, WoW, etc..

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:32 (3318 days ago) @ Leviathan

If you look at the patch updates of games that focus on PvP like Call of Duty, Destiny is slow to deliver both weapon balances and content. Granted, CoD's content costs money.

if you look at the patch updates of games that focus on multiplayer PvE, like Mass Effect 3, Destiny is *really* slow to deliver both weapon balances and content (this content is free).

I feel like the play of Destiny is a hybrid of those two game elements more than any other thing I can point a finger at, which is why they come to mind when I think about updates and balance changes.

Moving on, though,
If you look at the patch updates of games that focus on MMO reward systems, raids, and loot such as WoW, Destiny is slow to deliver both content and updates (In WoW, you get several tiers of raid with each expansion, rather than just 1, so technically Destiny is delivering *less content* rather than delivering it more slowly, but you get my point).

Then look at that whole article someone else wrote about how Warframe is just smoking Destiny for content and dynamic world events. I can't really speak to it because I only just downloaded Warframe last night (I'm curious as a result of that article), but the case has been made.

My point is that Destiny is patching like a game that requires physical copies of the disc to be printed for each patch instead of like a game that knows it's always online and can make tweaks and balance changes around the clock.

If anything, it should be easier to patch Destiny than a PC game because you're only doing it for 4 very specific hardware layouts instead of the nearly infinite possibilities of PC configurations that exist in the wild.

The only excuse I can think of for the slower rate of both patches and content delivery is that Destiny was not designed from the beginning to be particularly nimble or fluid. Which are two things that the pre-launch press releases claimed it would be.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:07 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If anything, it should be easier to patch Destiny than a PC game because you're only doing it for 4 very specific hardware layouts instead of the nearly infinite possibilities of PC configurations that exist in the wild.

Not really. Each of those patches has to go to cert for the respective platforms. That costs money. Money x4. Remember Fez? It needed a patch because it would delete your saved games, but a patch would have been too expensive. So Polytron just didn't do one.

With a PC, you just distribute your patch for free.

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:21 (3317 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not really. Each of those patches has to go to cert for the respective platforms. That costs money. Money x4. Remember Fez? It needed a patch because it would delete your saved games, but a patch would have been too expensive. So Polytron just didn't do one.

That's not true, actually. Hardware manufacturers can (and do) pre-screen certain variables for limitless patching in the name of balance changes without recertification for each one. They're well aware that games are always online now, and they don't want to stand in the way of developer adjustments. You may have to have the game grab that data from the server every time (like weapon damage values or something) - I'm not 100% certain how it works because all I used to do was test that stuff, but I know we didn't have to re-cert for damage value tweaks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:09 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

If you look at the patch updates of games that focus on PvP like Call of Duty, Destiny is slow to deliver both weapon balances and content. Granted, CoD's content costs money.

if you look at the patch updates of games that focus on multiplayer PvE, like Mass Effect 3, Destiny is *really* slow to deliver both weapon balances and content (this content is free).

I feel like the play of Destiny is a hybrid of those two game elements more than any other thing I can point a finger at, which is why they come to mind when I think about updates and balance changes.

Moving on, though,
If you look at the patch updates of games that focus on MMO reward systems, raids, and loot such as WoW, Destiny is slow to deliver both content and updates (In WoW, you get several tiers of raid with each expansion, rather than just 1, so technically Destiny is delivering *less content* rather than delivering it more slowly, but you get my point).

Then look at that whole article someone else wrote about how Warframe is just smoking Destiny for content and dynamic world events. I can't really speak to it because I only just downloaded Warframe last night (I'm curious as a result of that article), but the case has been made.

My point is that Destiny is patching like a game that requires physical copies of the disc to be printed for each patch instead of like a game that knows it's always online and can make tweaks and balance changes around the clock.

The only excuse I can think of for the slower rate of both patches and content delivery is that Destiny was not designed from the beginning to be particularly nimble or fluid. Which are two things that the pre-launch press releases claimed it would be.

I can think of other possibilities. Maybe it was designed to be more nimble and fluid but given the way the game works they simply can't make changes as quickly as some other games have in practice, and there's a lot to be said for not treating us like like lab rats and maintaining stability from week to week.

What I really don't get is the quick adoption of the worst explanation for anything that happens or doesn't happen. Their pre-release talk of flexibility doesn't live up to what you imagined it would, and that makes them liars. Their reasons are "excuses."

I'd be hesitant to say anything at all about the future, with that kind of rhetoric floating around, but I guess then they wouldn't be transparent. They can't win.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:11 (3318 days ago) @ Kermit

I'd be hesitant to say anything at all about the future, with that kind of rhetoric floating around, but I guess then they wouldn't be transparent. They can't win.

Exactly. As Cortana once said:

"Don't make a girl a promise if you know you can't keep it". Basically, don't hype the specifics of your game until you know exactly what you have and can deliver.

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:26 (3317 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Don't make a girl a promise if you know you can't keep it". Basically, don't hype the specifics of your game until you know exactly what you have and can deliver.

Agreed. There were tons of concrete and absolute statements made about Destiny that turned out not to be true. Telling non-truths is lying. That's what the word means. Was it Bungie's fault? Their PR firm's? Activision's? I don't know, but we were lied to. Some of those statements may have been true at one time or another, but they were definitely false before the game was released, and they were never retracted or corrected.

I don't mind them saying "we have plans to do X" followed by "it turns out X wasn't feasible" but I do mind "this game is X" when, in fact, it is not X.

I'll add that Destiny is certainly not the only game that has made promises it couldn't deliver on. It's just the first Bungie game that did. I'll be honest; I feel a little bit betrayed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:52 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Agreed. There were tons of concrete and absolute statements made about Destiny that turned out not to be true.

How about some examples. Cody's single quote in a single video years before launch about going to Saturn doesn't count. Neither does the odd one off claim during the E3 reveal demos that you could go to the background area past the Cosmodrome wall. Other than that, lay it on me. :)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 01:32 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mentioning something once is not hyping it. What things did they talk about more than once that were specific?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:23 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yes, I for one would take a prettier Tower over more Vault space.

The whole idea of even having a Vault as it was was something I thought was neat and wasn't expecting.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:52 (3315 days ago) @ Leviathan

The whole idea of even having a Vault as it was was something I thought was neat and wasn't expecting.

I was, because of Borderlands 2. Destiny has always been Bungie Borderlands in my mind.

Purging is probably fast but reloading...

by scarab @, Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:41 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

memories of h2 texture popping.

Purging is probably fast but reloading...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 22:58 (3315 days ago) @ scarab

memories of h2 texture popping.

Even just removing things from memory can be slow, when you're removing specific things and doing it safely/properly.

Never Fear! Cody has the perfect solution! Like always...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:20 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Cody's right.

by Funkmon @, Friday, March 27, 2015, 00:47 (3318 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Just give me a big messy pile. That's what I like.

Another "why do I bother reading these?" weekly update

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, March 27, 2015, 04:04 (3318 days ago) @ Funkmon

He's right that the whole thing is a joke. I can only hope that the hint about general items means they will be merging currencies in the future (shards and energies, class specific items, etc.).

I just want an option to roll in my loot

by Durandal, Friday, March 27, 2015, 10:22 (3318 days ago) @ Funkmon

Like Scrooge McDuck. I don't care that it is mostly a pile of weapons. I'm sure all that sapphire wire will smooth things over.

Facepalm

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:35 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why can't I put a weapon in a blank armor space? Just give us 84 GENERAL slots, and we gain so much more functionality without an increase in memory requirements.

There's a technical reason for this, I'm just not 100% sure what it is. It's related to how and when the game loads armor vs weaponry.

Have you ever taken an engram to the Cryptarch and been given a piece of armor for a different character class? Next time that happens, try to inspect the armor. You can't do it. The stats load, but the polygonal image won't appear.

Remember how Bungie couldn't add new armor as DLC to the Halo games because all the armor was actually saved as part of each map file? So adding armor would mean modifying every single map file. I think there's something like that going on in Destiny, except the armor files are tied to character class files instead of map files. So if you're playing as a Hunter, the game only loads the hi-res previews of Hunter armor into RAM.

Back to the vault, I think the armor and weapons are partitioned from each other because they're pulled from memory at different times, in different ways. At least that's my theory.

Technically untrue...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:42 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Have you ever taken an engram to the Cryptarch and been given a piece of armor for a different character class? Next time that happens, try to inspect the armor. You can't do it. The stats load, but the polygonal image won't appear.

Remember how Bungie couldn't add new armor as DLC to the Halo games because all the armor was actually saved as part of each map file? So adding armor would mean modifying every single map file. I think there's something like that going on in Destiny, except the armor files are tied to character class files instead of map files. So if you're playing as a Hunter, the game only loads the hi-res previews of Hunter armor into RAM.

You can still inspect other players to see those items. The polygonal image won't preview on your guardian because that item is modeled and fitted for a different class, each of which have slightly unique animations. I would be very surprised if the game was not loading those models on-the-fly, given how many there are...

Technically untrue...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:08 (3318 days ago) @ CyberKN

You can still inspect other players to see those items. The polygonal image won't preview on your guardian because that item is modeled and fitted for a different class, each of which have slightly unique animations. I would be very surprised if the game was not loading those models on-the-fly, given how many there are...

Yeah, I've always thought it was dumb that you can't see a warlock bond that's in your inventory when you're a hunter, but you can inspect another player's warlock who has the same bond equipped and view it right there. Obviously the game is capable of showing that item.

Technically untrue...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:54 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Yeah, I've always thought it was dumb that you can't see a warlock bond that's in your inventory when you're a hunter, but you can inspect another player's warlock who has the same bond equipped and view it right there. Obviously the game is capable of showing that item.

But that circumstance only happens if that other player has that item equipped. If that other player changes that item, on the 360 at least, it takes sometimes almost a whole minute to reflect the change, because the game prioritizes your class gear and other characters' current gear, but nothing else. When that player changes things, you can watch the hard-load happening on the older systems.

They can limit what you can see in your inventory to help maintain memory, but they can't really limit other players changing their gear when they need to. So those overlaps can happen sometimes when a player is using an item you tried to see.

On the 360, I think you can more easily understand these limitations because you really feel the load times for everything.

Facepalm

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:06 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I totally agree. Their "solution" is terrible and grossly "inside the box" instead of thinking more creatively. Why not move the vault, wholesale, to your spaceship? Then you access it from orbit, which makes it (a) more accessible since you don't have to go to the tower to swap gear between sorties and (b) it has more memory to play with since orbit is the least memory intensive location in the game.

Add to it Cody's idea for general inventory slots (which should have been a no-brainer) and you'd be sitting on riches.

Since no one HAS to go to Tower for Vault anymore...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:15 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I don't see why this shouldn't be seriously considered.

Facepalm

by Earendil, Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:57 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I totally agree. Their "solution" is terrible and grossly "inside the box" instead of thinking more creatively. Why not move the vault, wholesale, to your spaceship? Then you access it from orbit,

Who says they aren't doing that? The proposed solution is far simpler and gets us through HoW okay. Deej heavily implied that this wasn't the final be-all-end-all solution for vault space. I would expect to see new vault management in time for Comet.

Facepalm

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:44 (3318 days ago) @ Earendil

I totally agree. Their "solution" is terrible and grossly "inside the box" instead of thinking more creatively. Why not move the vault, wholesale, to your spaceship? Then you access it from orbit,

Who says they aren't doing that? The proposed solution is far simpler and gets us through HoW okay. Deej heavily implied that this wasn't the final be-all-end-all solution for vault space. I would expect to see new vault management in time for Comet.

You and I are reading his words quite differently. I read "sometime in the future" to be "we have no actual plans to do that in the next 6 months" which - to me - means they aren't doing it, because I'm out after House of Wolves. The game would need dramatic and immediate changes to keep me interested in buying anything related to it that I didn't already foolishly preorder at this point.

Adding features in February that we asked for during beta is not something I consider good. It's too little, too late. It's not just that I feel burned out on Destiny. I feel like I've been burned by Bungie. If the pre-launch PR hadn't been so completely different from the actual game, I probably wouldn't feel this way now, but the hype was incredible and the game doesn't live up to half the things that were said which made me excited to play it.

Facepalm

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:59 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Adding features in February that we asked for during beta is not something I consider good. It's too little, too late. It's not just that I feel burned out on Destiny. I feel like I've been burned by Bungie. If the pre-launch PR hadn't been so completely different from the actual game, I probably wouldn't feel this way now, but the hype was incredible and the game doesn't live up to half the things that were said which made me excited to play it.

I think it's just that whatever they do is considered a disappointment.

I really do appreciate that they are doing anything at all. I really do.

However, it just seems they are not trying very hard. Take this, from the update:

Our challenge was to provide an increase in storage that fit within the memory constraints that limit how many items can be displayed on one screen.

Why are they even trying to fit it on one screen? If that's where the memory problems are manifesting, they should just HAVE MORE THAN ONE SCREEN. Everybody and their mother who has requested more vault space or mocked it up with cool videos has had page tabs sorted by item type. Have a page for weapons. Have a page for armor. Have a page for everything else. Let us cycle through them like we do with our roster, character, inventory, and settings menus. It seems so obvious, especially since they say the issue with memory is because it all has to fit on one screen. So don't try to do that!

There are 60 slots now, so we know 60 items can be displayed on a screen. So, have multiple screens with 60 slots each. Boom. Done. Or am I missing something because I don't make games and don't realize how hard it apparently is?

Facepalm

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:53 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Our challenge was to provide an increase in storage that fit within the memory constraints that limit how many items can be displayed on one screen.

Why are they even trying to fit it on one screen? If that's where the memory problems are manifesting, they should just HAVE MORE THAN ONE SCREEN.

I agree in that it seems like breaking it up into multiple screens certainly could solve the problem, but they didn't put it on mutliple screens, and I'm sure they did so for what they believed was a very good reason. My guesses are:

1- they can't add new tabs (I doubt this, but maybe, the new faction rep ... popup(?) feels very 'tacked on' to me)
2- it wouldn't really save any RAM (perhaps they can't load/unload content between tabs)
3- perhaps loading/unloading content between tabs is really really slow
4- They're concerned people won't understand where their gear went when it's been moved to a different screen

I guess my point is, that solution seems obvious, so there must be a good reason they didn't do it, we just don't know what that reason is.

THIS^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:32 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

Why are they even trying to fit it on one screen? If that's where the memory problems are manifesting, they should just HAVE MORE THAN ONE SCREEN.

I agree in that it seems like breaking it up into multiple screens certainly could solve the problem, but they didn't put it on mutliple screens, and I'm sure they did so for what they believed was a very good reason. My guesses are:

1- they can't add new tabs (I doubt this, but maybe, the new faction rep ... popup(?) feels very 'tacked on' to me)
2- it wouldn't really save any RAM (perhaps they can't load/unload content between tabs)
3- perhaps loading/unloading content between tabs is really really slow
4- They're concerned people won't understand where their gear went when it's been moved to a different screen

I guess my point is, that solution seems obvious, so there must be a good reason they didn't do it, we just don't know what that reason is.

You've nailed it. I've worked at a software company since 1998. I've been involved in a lot of designs. I'm an editor, so I get asked to evaluate UIs from a language perspective quite often, and I end up asking tons of questions, and there's many times when I'll suggest a solution or a different control that seems obviously better to me. The answer is almost always, "we thought of that but ..." and then I hear about ten factors or constraints that I was completely unaware of but that needed to be considered. When I get led through the thought process that led to the current design, I often end up exactly where the UI analysts did. Fortunately for my career, from that place of understanding, I can usually come up with ways to improve it still, but my point is that it's easy to come up with obvious solutions looking at something from the outside. On rare occasions, that suggestion will be fresh, and you'll come off looking like a genius, but usually, when dealing with other experienced people, the "obvious" solution had already been considered and rejected for good reasons you just don't know about.

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:36 (3318 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

THIS^

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:58 (3318 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, March 27, 2015, 19:02

but usually, when dealing with other experienced people, the "obvious" solution had already been considered and rejected for good reasons you just don't know about.

Not my problem? It's up to them to make it so it does work. It's not impossible. Looking at, storing, and organizing tons of items is a feature many many games have. It's been done.

Whatever choice Bungie made that prevents them from doing that too needs to be altered, especially considering the game is so loot focused.

THIS^

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 27, 2015, 19:03 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

but usually, when dealing with other experienced people, the "obvious" solution had already been considered and rejected for good reasons you just don't know about.

Not my problem? It's up to them to make it so it does work. It's not impossible. Looking at, storing, and organizing tons of items is a feature many many games have. It's been done.

Whatever choice Bungie made that prevents them from doing that too needs to be altered.

Agreed that the user's experience is all that matters, ultimately, and they don't care how easy or hard it is to implement something.

Facepalm

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, March 27, 2015, 20:04 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by RC, Friday, March 27, 2015, 20:24

There are 60 slots now, so we know 60 items can be displayed on a screen. So, have multiple screens with 60 slots each. Boom. Done.

This is a short-sighted extension to the existing paradigm. What is needed is a different storage paradigm altogether - since passing items through the vault to different characters is the problem.

Rather than expending too much development time bashing the current paradigm into something much bigger and more complicated, they're offering a stop-gap through House of Wolves while they work on something that is fundamentally better.

We know there are a bunch of players in the world who don’t have enough space for Armor and General items. We’ll have a solution for you in the future.

This seems like a reasonable choice to me. But of course I actually know a thing or two about software development and have the awareness necessary to realise that my first idea is not always the best one.

/frustration

EDIT: Sorry. It's been a bad day. :/

Facepalm

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 20:10 (3318 days ago) @ RC

There are 60 slots now, so we know 60 items can be displayed on a screen. So, have multiple screens with 60 slots each. Boom. Done.

This is a short-sighted extension to the existing paradigm. What is needed is a different storage paradigm altogether - since passing items through the vault to different characters is the problem.

Rather than expending too much development time bashing the current paradigm into something much bigger and more complicated, they're offering a stop-gap through House of Wolves while they work on something that is fundamentally better.

This seems like a reasonable choice to me. But of course I actually know a thing or two about software development and have the awareness necessary to realise that my first idea is not always the best one.

/frustration

I guess in May / June we'll have our answer. Looking forward.

And I counter-quote with this

by Earendil, Friday, March 27, 2015, 19:36 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

You and I are reading his words quite differently. I read "sometime in the future" to be "we have no actual plans to do that in the next 6 months" which - to me - means they aren't doing it, because I'm out after House of Wolves. The game would need dramatic and immediate changes to keep me interested in buying anything related to it that I didn't already foolishly preorder at this point.

Then we aren't reading it differently, you are just giving up before it's here. That's fine, no one is preventing you from leaving, but just because you are giving up before comet doesn't mean Bungie won't deliver before comet. Take these quotes:

"As we get closer to the House of Wolves content update, we knew we had to expand the Vault or the community would not have enough space to store the new Exotics we’re making!"

Note how it specifically calls out HoW and it's new content as the problem they are trying to solve. They are solving nothing beyond that.

"Different players have different needs, but our goal was to find a solution that could deliver more Vault space to the greatest number of people in the short term. "

Contrasted with the... long term solution? Yes, that's right, a long term solution.

"We opted for making sure that players would have enough slots for all Exotics from Launch through House of Wolves"

Though HoW, but not beyond. Meaning they will provide a different solution in the future.

"We know there are a bunch of players in the world who don’t have enough space for Armor and General items. We’ll have a solution for you in the future.
"

And that's the final nail. Your reading comprehension can provide you whatever you want, but *MY* interpretation of this is that, after describing everything they are providing NOW for HoW, they will provide ADDITIONAL mechanisms post HoW.

Adding features in February that we asked for during beta is not something I consider good.

I rarely get upset, but since when did you get to make requests during beta of ANY software and feel @#$%ing entitled to get that in the next 6-8 months? Did you really have the expectation that you could walk into beta on a 10 year project, make a request, and BAM! You'd get it? Are you paying some sort of insanely large subscription fee to make such requests? Get off your high horse. [/rage mode off]

It's too little, too late. It's not just that I feel burned out on Destiny. I feel like I've been burned by Bungie.

I can completely and calming understand if it's too little too late for you. But please don't try and convince me that I shouldn't be having fun when I am. And don't try and convince me that Bungie is lying and tricking me when they aren't. It's rude and is apt to make me defensive and hostile.

If the pre-launch PR hadn't been so completely different from the actual game, I probably wouldn't feel this way now, but the hype was incredible and the game doesn't live up to half the things that were said which made me excited to play it.

Call me silly, but I didn't get any PR promising anything more than I got. And whenever I did set my expectations high, it was specifically because the company making it was called "Bungie", and I am familiar with all of their previous titles. I had expectations based on their history, which, I acknowledged prior to the release of the game is not fair. They are not and can not be the same development house they were when they made games solely for the Mac platform. Call me a pessimist, a realistic, or just observant, but Destiny for me met the PR expectations and met the price I paid. I personally don't think Bungie lived up to the Bungie name, but that's MY expectation that is placed on them, not something they gave me to me.

If you feel burned by Bungie and are not having fun now, then there is nothing Bungie can realistically do to fix it. For those of us having fun, and have minor problems that could use solving (like vault space) Bungie is doing alright in my book. Could they move faster? Sure. They certainly aren't solving problem before I bump up against them, which would be the ideal time to solve them. Still, they are shooting above par despite not having a perfect game.

May I seriously suggest that you not even play HoW, and save whatever forgiveness you have left and play HoW just before Comet. You'll have given the burn-out a good chance of subsiding, have all the updates between now and then, and miss none of the content you paid for. You might enjoy it more, even if you don't decide to dive into Comet.

And I counter-quote with this

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:45 (3317 days ago) @ Earendil

May I seriously suggest that you not even play HoW, and save whatever forgiveness you have left and play HoW just before Comet. You'll have given the burn-out a good chance of subsiding, have all the updates between now and then, and miss none of the content you paid for. You might enjoy it more, even if you don't decide to dive into Comet.

I'm sorry I upset you so. Please realize that just as I won't be able to convince you not to have fun, you can't talk me into enjoying my Destiny experience either.

And here's the thing: I want the game to be good. The game could be good. The *feel* of it is amazing. Running, jumping, shooting - all great! Amazing! The lore of the Destiny world is expansive and fascinating! But the actual experience of the world is repetitive to a major fault. Depressingly so.

This combination is, unfortunately, why I frequent these forums. I like some parts of the game a LOT. Other parts need major work. Generally everyone here is up for reasonable discussion, which is wonderful.

HoW is going to add *something* to the game that will be new, and I'll enjoy the hell out of it the first time through. I don't know why you think waiting to play that until none of my friends are interested in running it because they've done it 20 times is a good idea, but it's not. It's a terrible idea. I'd rather play HoW and then be done with the game, which is what I'm planning on doing.

Also, you (and a few others) keep talking about the Comet like it's going to be some sort of godsend miracle fix to the problems with the game, but do you even know what the Comet is? I sure as hell don't. Has Bungie even confirmed that the Comet is a Thing? I should start a new thread about that.

Frankly, you are asking too much

by Monochron, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:22 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I totally agree. Their "solution" is terrible and grossly "inside the box" instead of thinking more creatively. Why not move the vault, wholesale, to your spaceship? Then you access it from orbit, which makes it (a) more accessible since you don't have to go to the tower to swap gear between sorties and (b) it has more memory to play with since orbit is the least memory intensive location in the game.

Add to it Cody's idea for general inventory slots (which should have been a no-brainer) and you'd be sitting on riches.

There is nothing to say that they aren't doing that. But there is no way you are going to get a whole system overhaul like that in the next Month.

I agree, the fix isn't as good as we hoped . . . but I have no doubt that Bungie weighed the possibilities and chose something that they could implement in a matter of months and would provide a benefit. If users were given the choice between a fantastic solution that would take a year or more to implement, or a reasonable solution that could be done before HoW, I doubt the ridiculers, haters, or general fans would have preferred waiting. Bungie realized that releasing HoW without increasing Vault size was going to cause far too much trouble and angst. Rather than let players suffer through that, they gave you something to help you along.

If you want a video game that came out about half a year ago to completely scrap a system and port it over to a new location, then you need to get a better understanding of what goes into these kinds of changes.

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:46 (3317 days ago) @ Monochron

If you want a video game that came out about half a year ago to completely scrap a system and port it over to a new location, then you need to get a better understanding of what goes into these kinds of changes.

I made games for 13 years. I understand.

Also, Destiny already did a major overhaul about a year before it launched, right?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:54 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Also, Destiny already did a major overhaul about a year before it launched, right?

Did it? Like, got a source for that?

Here's just one of many Google results

by Kahzgul, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 04:45 (3317 days ago) @ Ragashingo

http://gamerant.com/destiny-story-change-development/

I didn't vedt this one, but there's so many videos of things that were advertised and aren't the actual game (I'm sure we all remember the "out here in the wild, this IS how we talk" line), I'm surprised you even doubt the changes. Anyway, there are loads of videos on youtube documenting all this stuff.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 13:07 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I didn't vedt this one, but there's so many videos of things that were advertised and aren't the actual game (I'm sure we all remember the "out here in the wild, this IS how we talk" line),

Wait... so when you say "Bungie advertised things that weren't in the game, so they lied to us" - THIS is the kind of thing you're talking about?

You consider a trailer made for E3 to be a promise of content that will appear in the final product?

No WONDER we're having so much trouble reaching a common ground to talk from!

Thanks. I'm clearer now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 14:28 (3317 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You consider a trailer made for E3 to be a promise of content that will appear in the final product?

If you're talking about the Halo 2 E3 trailer, I think that's different. Not that I agree with him in that the LIED, but it's not the same. The Halo 2 E3 2003 space is not in the game exactly, but you have the opening cutscene to Outskirts with a lot of the same dialog, you DO go to and fight on Earth, you can dual wield, you can ride in the warthog, you can board vehicles, etc. I think everything that was in the trailer they delivered on, just in a different form.

Now I'm not saying Bungie lied. The story can change. The fact that there is a tons of story related stuff in out of the wild that didn't come to pass is irrelevant. What's different is that I think we were all led to believe the scope of the game would be different. I think we were all led to believe that there would be more to do in the end game than there was. Very close to release, Bungie said the game "Started at level 20". It doesn't. The only new thing you could do above level 20 was the vault of glass. At 20, you had done all the missions and strikes. So when I hit 20 that first day and saw nothing to do but grind for the raid, I was very disappointed.

We were also misled about the scope of the game. Hence the collective disappointment when it was revealed there was one area per planet. I was told the Alpha was <5% of the game. That's clearly untrue.

Bungie didn't lie, they just got wrapped up in hype and over promised and under delivered.

But, I'm still here right? I like a lot of what we got. We got some bad stuff too, but ultimately I do want more, which is probably the greatest compliment right there.

by Monochron, Monday, March 30, 2015, 16:07 (3315 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Ah yes, and I'm sure we are both familiar with the technical details of that overhaul, the resources required from each department, and what it caused to be cut. Or not. No, neither of us are. All we know is "a bunch got removed and changed or redone". The question of vault changes is solidly rooted in technology and implementation hurdles. That much we DO know.

I can finally delete my second warlock for a Titan :)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 21:00 (3319 days ago) @ dogcow

16 additional slots for weapons is exactly what I needed!

Expanding Misc. section to 24 is a joke

by Kahzgul, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:33 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

Because the current game already has 25 currencies in it. Now add in all of the ships, shaders, emblems, sparrows, telemetries, and actual miscellaneous items you want to save... Terrible planning, Bungie. Terrible.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 23:45 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I think the idea is that, just like a lot of bungie games, you don't get to stockpile everything under the sun to use whenever you want. Sometimes the choices we are forced to make help us to make more meaningful choices.

Not saying this is their design, but it may be.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 27, 2015, 00:12 (3318 days ago) @ slycrel

I think the idea is that, just like a lot of bungie games, you don't get to stockpile everything under the sun to use whenever you want. Sometimes the choices we are forced to make help us to make more meaningful choices.

Also if exotic upgrading is going to change as they have said with House of Wolves, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of currencies are actually reduced.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 27, 2015, 00:20 (3318 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:36 (3318 days ago) @ Leviathan

That doesn't make any sense. There are more currencies in the game than there are slots in the *expanded* misc. section. So the choice is "which form of money do I throw away?" That's beyond awful design. Give me a currency exchange, and I'll take it, but right now I simply can't put all of my currencies into the bank at one time, which is, like, the fundamental purpose of a bank. To store currency.

Also if exotic upgrading is going to change as they have said with House of Wolves, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of currencies are actually reduced.

I'll believe it when I see it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:27 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

That doesn't make any sense. There are more currencies in the game than there are slots in the *expanded* misc. section. So the choice is "which form of money do I throw away?" That's beyond awful design. Give me a currency exchange, and I'll take it, but right now I simply can't put all of my currencies into the bank at one time, which is, like, the fundamental purpose of a bank. To store currency.

Eh. I'm pretty sure between the vault slots and the misc section of one character you'd have more than enough space to keep all the "currencies". Would I like to see the Vault further be expanded? Sure! Are you really having to choose what to throw away? Almost certainly not.

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 23:47 (3317 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Eh. I'm pretty sure between the vault slots and the misc section of one character you'd have more than enough space to keep all the "currencies". Would I like to see the Vault further be expanded? Sure! Are you really having to choose what to throw away? Almost certainly not.

Obviously I can hold all this stuff between my characters and the vault, but the point I was responding to said the limited space could be intended to force player choice. I'm calling that out because you simply wouldn't give your players money and tell them to choose Pesos or Ruples because they can only keep one of them.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 01:06 (3317 days ago) @ slycrel

Unlike many people i know I was fine with the 2gun capacity in halo, but having so many guns (and therefore a low chance of finding one again) plus needing to level them so that they get better with time (opposed to running out of battery so they get worse over time) makes me want to keep them all.

Why you keep weapons

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 01:35 (3318 days ago) @ Kahzgul

A lot of people are saying things like "Why do you have so many guns? You don't use them all".

Let's look at Exotics.

1. They can increase in attack power across expansions to remain formidable. SO, you want to hang on to them.
2. Bungie continually changes their properties. Exotics that were junk initially are good now, and insane ones are crap now. So, it makes sense to hang on to them if they become good.

Now, there are more exotic weapons currently than can fit in the vault. That's a huge problem.

Lets look at Legendaries.

1. Many are still good despite being 300 attack. Fatebringer, Found Verdict, Corrective Measure, Abyss Defiant, etc.
2. Many of the raid weapons are still good in their respective raids (Oracle Disruptor).
3. Many are good in crucible.

Combine that with the Legendary guns you use, it's very easy to run out of space. I have a reason for keeping pretty much everything I have. It's not a case of hanging on to too much stuff. Most of the Vanguard and crucible weapons from the vendors originally I sharded long ago to make room.

You forgot nostalgia/coolness factor

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Friday, March 27, 2015, 01:52 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The best part of the update.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 27, 2015, 00:42 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

[image]

We may not be making you as rich as Charlemagne, but those of you who have Vaults that are bursting at the seams with sweet loot are in for some relief. Stand by, because Update 1.1.2 arrives in April. As for what the future holds for Vaults, only a time traveler would know for sure.

My subtlety senses are tingling.

(Also...that might have not been the picture from this weeks update, but seeing as I prefer to link these things from the archive that has yet to be updated, I had to improvise. I think I did well. Something something on the internet something.)

And that’s the end of our time together this week. Thanks for paying a visit to see what’s happening inside our heavily fortified compound. With news about Vault space out in the open, we’re wondering what we’ll talk about next. There is no doubt in our minds that you still have something on your mind, and we’re eager to hear about it on the #Feedback forum. So sound off!>

DeeJ, out.

• Vault Space - We know you need more space to collect all the treasures you gain from your missions, and more gear is on the way.
  • Raid Fixes - There are times when Atheon and Crota can be uncooperative, so we're tackling their worst bugs.
  • Audio and Visual - Not everyone wants to see or hear a game the same way, which is why we're looking at providing more options.
  • PVP Ammunition - The Crucible team wants to change the way ammo crates dictate the flow of a battle.
  • Strikes - The numbers tell us that there are some missions that are successfully completed far less than others, inspiring us to look at why people quit.

That's two strikes. Lets make it three. If not that you could always present *THE MYSTERY PRIZE*. OOOOOooooOooOOOoo.

ITT: Things are getting better but everything is still shit

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, March 27, 2015, 01:39 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Destiny being on last gen consoles was the biggest mistake

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, March 27, 2015, 08:13 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

They were even a small slice of the total sales.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 13:42 (3318 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

COD primarily moves on 360, though.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, March 27, 2015, 13:55 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Activision no doubt wanted to see if it could tap the last gen market, considering its breadwinner still has its highest sales on 360.

My wallet and I completely disagree. :)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, March 27, 2015, 13:46 (3318 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 27, 2015, 14:02 (3318 days ago) @ Leviathan

I think it's cool that they took on the challenge. In truth, they probably thought the release date would be sooner when they first scoped the work, which would have made supporting both gens a more prudent decision that perhaps it ended it up being. That said, it's impressive what they've done. I still forget I'm playing last gen sometimes when I'm on the 360.

Does anyone still have 3 identical copies of a weapon?

by scarab @, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:20 (3318 days ago) @ dogcow

I don't mean: 1 arc, 1 solar, one void. I mean literally identical.

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 27, 2015, 16:49 (3318 days ago) @ scarab

For the most part, no.

But I do have 3 Super Good Advices, but that's because I have a general lack of heavy weapons so I keep one on each toon (just trying to exp them up so I can maybe get an extra exotic shard at the end).
I have 2 Icebreakers, which I use regularly.
I have 2 Fang of Ir'Yut, which I use regularly.
I have 2 The Last Word, which I plan on using but somehow never do.

I haven't gotten duplicates of any other guns that I want to use, but if I did get another Gjallerhorn or Praedith's Revenge or Hawkmoon, I'd use it asap. I hate that the gameplay loop for me is "See what the nightfall is. Transfer lots of items to that character to take advantage of burns. Run nightfall. Change characters. Transfer lots of items..." I really wish we just had shared inventory.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:05 (3318 days ago) @ scarab

Yep, several.

3 Fatebringers
3 Mythoclasts (tempted to delete 2 of these)
3 Ice Breakers
3 Hunger of Crota

I had 3 Praedyth's Revenge up until a few days ago (deleted one in favor of a Void LDR).
I also had 3 Solar LDRs, but deleted 2 in favor of a Black Hammer and The Chosen.

I'm hoping to end up with 3 Gjallarhorns (only have 1 so far).

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:08 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yep, several.

3 Fatebringers
3 Ice Breakers
3 Hunger of Crota

I had 3 Praedyth's Revenge up until a few days ago (deleted one in favor of a Void LDR).
I also had 3 Solar LDRs, but deleted 2 in favor of a Black Hammer and The Chosen.

Ah, that's why you are out of ascendant energy!

Especially with the vault app / web interface, in my opinion there's not a whole lot of reason to have and level up more than one copy of a weapon. Sharing is caring.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:12 (3318 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yep, several.

3 Fatebringers
3 Ice Breakers
3 Hunger of Crota

Ah, that's why you are out of ascendant energy!

Especially with the vault app / web interface, in my opinion there's not a whole lot of reason to have and level up more than one copy of a weapon. Sharing is caring.

I agree... I had all of these triplicates before the app update. I actually had many more triplicates (fang of ir yut, song of or yut, Hard Light, Last Word, Found Verdict, Hezen Vengeance), but I deleted most of my duplicates when the update launched. I kept the few that I always like to have handy at a moment's notice. As a rule, I don't do much swapping between characters anymore. They each have their dedicated set of weapons, and I keep all my exotics in the vault.

Yep

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, March 27, 2015, 17:22 (3318 days ago) @ scarab

Exotics:
3x Ice Breaker
3x Truth
3x Thorn
3x MIDA
3x Suros
3x Hard Light

Raid Weapons:
3x VoC
3x Found Verdict
3x Corrective Measure
3x Praedyth's Revenge

Vendor Weapons:
3x LDR (Arc w/ Armor Piercing)

Iron Banner Weapons:
3x Jolder's Hammer (Crowd Control + Field Scout)
3x Radegast's Fury (Field Scout + Horseshoes & Hand Grenades)

Yoinks! Is that just to avoid swapping via the vault?

by scarab @, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:13 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

or do you just want 3 of everything?:-)

Yoinks! Is that just to avoid swapping via the vault?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:27 (3318 days ago) @ scarab

I am always out of vault space so switching a single weapon can still be a pain. especially if I need to switch multiples over (Iron Banner for example)

But if you delete 2 of each then you gain 26 slots...

by scarab @, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:36 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

am I missing something?

How many empty equipped weapon slots do you have on your characters?

But if you delete 2 of each then you gain 26 slots...

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:46 (3318 days ago) @ scarab

I typically have one open space in each slot.

I could easily free up space by deleting the extras. But as much as I play I'd rather spend my time playing then switching weapons around.

Update's Up!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 22:04 (3315 days ago) @ dogcow
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 22:17

I'm not happy about this.

I was hoping for more space than this for armor and general items, but what I would've liked just as much as more space is the ability to swap things in and out. So many times I've been in a situation where I was thinking, "I can clear space, if you just let me have that scout rifle so I can delete it," or, "I don't even want to put something in the vault, I just want to have that and not delete anything right now, I'll delete something after I figure out which scout rifle is better". In both cases I'd be thinking, "Why can't it just trade me for this shotgun or this other scout rifle?"

Taking away comparison is going to be monumentally frustrating. It's already a chore comparing more than a certain number of things because you have to use the vault and you have to make sure one of the items to compare is on your character and is the active item in its category.

I already can't swap weapons on my character while I'm in the vault interface, let alone compare them afterwards, or swap or store my current weapon. I have to back out of the vault, go into my inventory, swap weapons, back out of my inventory, go back into the vault, and then do what I intended to do in the first place. After this, to compare things, I'll have to swap weapons and armor into my personal inventory, back out, compare them individually, and repeat if I have more than 9 items I wanted to look at-- which is more likely with more vault space.

If I could swap held items for vaulted items, being limited the way we are would feel a lot less frustrating, especially if they did still increase the limit on top of that.

Of course, comparing things the way it's done now wouldn't even be necessary if they would just expose the damn numbers the bars are drawn from, but no, that would be too mathy and nerdy, not like us cool players, right? the kind of players who would say to someone "Hey I'm a level 30 Hunter with INT 210, STR 220, DIS 197, 302 ATK on my primary, and +2 agility gauntlets, I hope I get a good roll with this cloak". That might not be it though. It could just be that the bars are all too often not correct, and can even go down when they should go up, or vice versa, and using numbers instead would make it easier to confirm that. You know, I've been known to make some good-natured taunts about how, while the Master Chief Collection was broken, Destiny worked fine, but this is reminding me that's not entirely true, and not just because the Master Chief Collection works better than it used to.

I can't help but think if this was a PC RPG, a mod for a better vault would've come out a month or two after release, now it's been half a year and we get a moderate increase to weapon storage, a pittance of an increase to non-weapon storage, and a decrease in functionality for anyone who didn't shell out for a shiny new system. (For that matter, the bars probably either would've been numbers in the first place or modded to be numbers very quickly, and they might be more accurate by now.)

I appreciate them trying to do something to make it better, I just think they're failing at doing that in a satisfactory way.

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 22:58 (3315 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That might not be it though. It could just be that the bars are all too often not correct, and can even go down when they should go up, or vice versa, and using numbers instead would make it easier to confirm that.

We've been over this. The bar already represents a number, AKA how full the bar is. No bar is 0, full bar is 100. Displaying a number would be less useful, since the bars offer a quick way to compare.

As far wanting to know the absolute number, that is meaningless since so much affects your damage. The numbers only make sense when compared to another weapon - This scout rifle has more impact but less stability than this other one. This is what the bar does anyway.

Look at the bar for a sniper rifle. Not very full is it? Well, the sniper certainly does more damage than a hand cannon, whose bar is large. That bar is only meaningful when looking between sniper rifles.

If you want a number, look up the gun on DestinyDB. It lists the exact numerical value, which has zero practical value over the bar.

Then why do we have numbers for INT/DIS/STR?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 30, 2015, 00:00 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Easy.

by Earendil, Monday, March 30, 2015, 00:56 (3315 days ago) @ CyberKN

Just like damage, those values have no upper limit, and will grow with the game and level. Compare that to Stability, which will always be on a 0-100 level. Once you have perfect stability (100%) it makes no sense to add 10 stability, or to increase stability by 50%. Same for reload, or most attributes.

At the end of the day, FPS only players that want a pure FPS won't like Destiny, and RPG players that want a pure RPG won't like it either. It's a hybrid, which means not only taking elements from both, but also tossing out elements from both. Destiny isn't such a hard core RPG that (imho) we need numbers for everything. In fact that would take away from the "jump in and have fun fast" that they were aiming for.

Easy.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:40 (3315 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:44

Just like damage, those values have no upper limit, and will grow with the game and level. Compare that to Stability, which will always be on a 0-100 level. Once you have perfect stability (100%) it makes no sense to add 10 stability, or to increase stability by 50%. Same for reload, or most attributes.

At the end of the day, FPS only players that want a pure FPS won't like Destiny, and RPG players that want a pure RPG won't like it either. It's a hybrid, which means not only taking elements from both, but also tossing out elements from both. Destiny isn't such a hard core RPG that (imho) we need numbers for everything. In fact that would take away from the "jump in and have fun fast" that they were aiming for.

I don't see how, there's nothing making you look at the numbers, and you already have several to keep track of if you want to get the most out of what you do. On top of that you have numbers appearing whenever you do damage to an enemy. It seems wrong to me to show the player how much damage they're doing but not why they're doing that amount of damage. Numbers would only give part of that-- I and others tried and failed to figure out the other parts-- but it would be a good start.
I don't know, maybe it's the wrong approach, maybe we're supposed to intuit how good a weapon is, it's supposed to be one of those things you can tell just by looking (at the bars). Unfortunately intuition isn't my strong suit, and neither is accurate color perception. Bungie is helping me in one of those areas, I wish they'd help me in the other one too.

Easy.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 03:52 (3315 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I don't see how, there's nothing making you look at the numbers, and you already have several to keep track of if you want to get the most out of what you do. On top of that you have numbers appearing whenever you do damage to an enemy. It seems wrong to me to show the player how much damage they're doing but not why they're doing that amount of damage.

Early builds did not display damage numbers. I think it was a mistake to include them in the final. Halo did fine without damage values, and so would Destiny. It'd certainly make it more immersive.

Easy.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:20 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't see how, there's nothing making you look at the numbers, and you already have several to keep track of if you want to get the most out of what you do. On top of that you have numbers appearing whenever you do damage to an enemy. It seems wrong to me to show the player how much damage they're doing but not why they're doing that amount of damage.

Early builds did not display damage numbers. I think it was a mistake to include them in the final. Halo did fine without damage values, and so would Destiny. It'd certainly make it more immersive.

Destiny has some fundamental differences from Halo, and with the volume and variety of stuff you get, you need something to make discard/stash/upgrade decisions with. It could have been qualitative differences instead of quantitative, but that would need a whole different approach to making the game.

Then give the percentage...?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 30, 2015, 01:23 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Update's Up!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:11 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, March 30, 2015, 02:29

That might not be it though. It could just be that the bars are all too often not correct, and can even go down when they should go up, or vice versa, and using numbers instead would make it easier to confirm that.

We've been over this. The bar already represents a number, AKA how full the bar is.

Yes, it does. You know what represents a number better? A number. An honest-to-goodness Hindu-Arabic digit sequence. Heck, I'd take Roman numerals or hexadecimal.

No bar is 0, full bar is 100. Displaying a number would be less useful, since the bars offer a quick way to compare.

I never said they shouldn't have the bars, I just said I want numbers. It's completely trivial to have both, you don't even need extra space, just put the number next to or inside the bar.
The bars do give a quick way to compare, but many people are like me and are not good at eyeballing differences in length. That's why they let you pull the right trigger to see an overlay. That's not incompatible with showing numbers either.

As far wanting to know the absolute number, that is meaningless since so much affects your damage.

I don't even know what you're saying here. I want to see the numbers for all of the "so much" that affects my damage-- that would help me to put them into perspective.

The numbers only make sense when compared to another weapon - This scout rifle has more impact but less stability than this other one. This is what the bar does anyway.

Yeah, but it's not precise-- or at least, it's hard to get precision from it. It's been shown different stats vary in different ways based on what you see. Generally a small visible change gives a small change in effect, and a large one gives a large change, but that's not universal, and different people have different ideas of what's small or large on the bars and what's a small or large effect.
On top of that, this might be on my TV or my setup, or just the fact I'm using an old standard analog TV or an older-generation console, but it can be hard to even see what the bars are communicating, even with the right trigger comparison. It can be hard to tell if there is a difference, and which thing is larger, and if it's the difference is a tiny sliver or a minuscule smidgen.

Look at the bar for a sniper rifle. Not very full is it? Well, the sniper certainly does more damage than a hand cannon, whose bar is large. That bar is only meaningful when looking between sniper rifles.

I don't see the relevance, I'm not asking for a comparison between different classes of guns-- and if I was, it would still be warranted, because the right trigger comparison feature takes no account of that, and gleefully tells you a sniper has half the impact of an auto rifle when that's clearly not the case. Understanding you should mostly only compare values between the same type of gun is something I already have, and it's already a prerequisite for using the comparison feature properly.

If you want a number, look up the gun on DestinyDB. It lists the exact numerical value, which has zero practical value over the bar.

I don't want to have to go to a website though.
The practical value is in how much. How much better or worse is gun A than gun B in these specific areas? That is the perfect time to use numbers, questions of how much are the reason numbers even exist.
None of that addresses the part you quoted anyway, which is that on top of not being precise, the bars are often not accurate either. This is relatively easy to miss with bars but more evident with numbers, because you can be sure a number didn't change or actually went down instead of up. I was being cynical, thinking maybe that was a reason, they don't want us to see their errors, but whether it is or not, now I think having numbers would be good because it'll give them immediate and plentiful feedback about which perks aren't depicted or described properly-- showing us the numbers could help us to help them make the information more accurate and consistent.

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 03:59 (3315 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, March 30, 2015, 04:03

The practical value is in how much. How much better or worse is gun A than gun B in these specific areas? That is the perfect time to use numbers, questions of how much are the reason numbers even exist.

No that is the perfect time to shoot the gun yourself, and see if you like it better. Oh, this hand cannon takes two shots to kill a Vex Goblin, but this one only takes one? That's practical knowledge you have in determining the gun's usefulness that you don't get with numbers. I don't need to look at any numbers to know that Black Hammer hits hard; it kills Hive Knights in the Crota Raid in one shot. Icebreaker takes two.

Numbers alone tell you jack shit, whereas USING THE GUN and playing the game tells you everything. The numbers should be completely hidden in my opinion, which they are (aside from damage). You are playing a first person shooter, not a spreadsheet simulator. The bars exist to just give you a general sense of whether you'd want to use the weapon or not.

Clip size is the only exception, since that number represents something meaningful.

There's so much wrong with this post, but I need sleep.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 30, 2015, 04:26 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'll dissolve all these arguments in the morning.

Update's Up!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 30, 2015, 05:38 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When currency to buy guns in the Tower is rare (it theoretically takes a full week and change of playtime to gather enough marks to buy weapons), "use it to evaluate" simply does not work.

I guess it all boils down to the feeling that, since they HAVE the number displayed in some form or another, why not simply display it as a hard number?

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 05:46 (3315 days ago) @ ZackDark

When currency to buy guns in the Tower is rare (it theoretically takes a full week and change of playtime to gather enough marks to buy weapons), "use it to evaluate" simply does not work.

This is a very good point. I don't think it's as bad as you suggest, since you have the bars to give you a general sense of the weapon, and again, even showing exact number would tell you nothing about how it performs in the field that the bars don't already reveal.

Still, you are right in that saving up for a week only to buy a dud would suck. I think the solution is either to eliminate vendor gear (bad), add a way to test guns in a practice environment like a gun range before you buy (good), or have a mode in the crucible where you select the guns you can take into the match from a pool of crucible / vanguard gear (best).

Update's Up!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, March 30, 2015, 05:56 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is a very good point. I don't think it's as bad as you suggest, since you have the bars to give you a general sense of the weapon, and again, even showing exact number would tell you nothing about how it performs in the field that the bars don't already reveal.

True, but they give me a sense of how it relates to weapons I have already used before. I know Felwinter's Lie will kill me from farther away than, dunno Secret Handshake, or that Devil You Don't sucks compared to Thorn. It's not about getting a gun as a complete rookie and divining how it plays out, but getting ANY non-Exotic as an experienced veteran and already know how it compares to any other gun you already had.

Still, you are right in that saving up for a week only to buy a dud would suck. I think the solution is either to eliminate vendor gear (bad)

Heh

add a way to test guns in a practice environment like a gun range before you buy (good)

If the game can't even handle the extra Vault spaces without throwing away something, I doubt there's any good way to implement this.

or have a mode in the crucible where you select the guns you can take into the match from a pool of crucible / vanguard gear (best).

What? But how about PvE?

Update's Up!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:27 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No that is the perfect time to shoot the gun yourself, and see if you like it better. Oh, this hand cannon takes two shots to kill a Vex Goblin, but this one only takes one? That's practical knowledge you have in determining the gun's usefulness that you don't get with numbers. I don't need to look at any numbers to know that Black Hammer hits hard; it kills Hive Knights in the Crota Raid in one shot. Icebreaker takes two.

That, sir, is slander. :P

Numbers alone tell you jack shit, whereas USING THE GUN and playing the game tells you everything. The numbers should be completely hidden in my opinion, which they are (aside from damage).

Well they're not. Like it or not, Those bars represent numbers. As much as you might hate them, they're not going away, so we might as well make the most of it.

You're right. Numbers alone are meaningless. but when you use a scout rifle with 10 impact, and see another that the vendors are selling has 20 imapact, why is it so bad that I use that information to deduce that the vendor gun will do precisely twice as much damage per bullet at the same range?

You are playing a first person shooter, not a spreadsheet simulator. The bars exist to just give you a general sense of whether you'd want to use the weapon or not.

Oh, come ON. NO game advertises itself as a spreadsheet simulator. but when your first person shooter has as many guns as Destiny does, don't you think it's kind of impractical to expect a player to try every single one? Isn't it much more efficient to compare guns based on their stats, instead of grinding out marks for weeks on end, just to purchase a gun I might not even end up wanting to use?

Clip size is the only exception, since that number represents something meaningful.

Why is clip size so important, compared to Rate-of-Fire for example? As far as I know, there isn't a sniper rifle in the game that holds more than 6 rounds a standard clip. Therefore, The bar for sniper rifle clip-size would be full at 6, and half at three. Other weapons would follow suit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent way to long laying awake last night concocting a scenario that illustrates why numbers are useful, so here it is:

House of wolves comes out. I get a 365 handcannon from a legendary engram. It's got really low impact, but a very high RoF. I level it up, and then we all go play the new raid together.

The raid throws a bunch of stealth vandals at you, and to succeed it's important that you kill them before they can close and start hacking away. Problem is, Due to it's Damage Cap limitation, Fatebringer takes a little more than 2 head-shots to kill, and your new handcannon takes a little more than three ("little more" meaning they have a sliver of health left).

Neither of these feel powerful enough, so you limp back to the tower, looking to purchase a new, better handcannon- hopefully one that can just one-shot the vandals.

The tower crucible vendor has two handcannons for sale, "Lefty" and "Righty". Due to the way the game currently is, you can only compare vendor items to your currently equipped weapon. Fatebringer's lower attack stat will make for inaccurate comparisons, so you equip your new 365 HC and use that to compare.

Here's what you see:

Lefty:
[image]

Righty
[image]

At a glance, the stats look very similar, but "Righty" has the Outlaw perk instead of feeding frenzy. Outlaw is faster reload, so we buy that one.

So you spend the next day and a half grinding out the XP to max it out, then take it back into the raid, hoping to one-shot those pesky vandals.

You can't.

The impact is *just* low enough that the vandals still require two shots to take out. Boo.

However, if when you go back to the vendor, you're able to compare The two HCs against each other, and see that "Lefty" has a little bit more impact. Too bad you have to grind out another 150 crucible marks over two weeks to get that one.

But what if we had numbers?

I know from expereince that it takes a little more than three shots to take out the vandals. Therefore, at the same range, I need a handcannon with a little more than three times as much impact for a one-hit kill.

Numbers would help determine which HC will help me accomplish this, and which would fail:

Lefty
[image]

Righty
[image]

Now I'll admit that this is a very specific example. But I don't see the downside to including the numbers. Giving the player more information is rarely a bad thing.

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:37 (3315 days ago) @ CyberKN

Now I'll admit that this is a very specific example. But I don't see the downside to including the numbers. Giving the player more information is rarely a bad thing.

Hand Cannons have exactly three possible impact values. There's no in between. Your scenario is impossible. Hand cannons in the same archetype will do the same amount of damage all things being equal.

There are low impact high rof (Devil you Don't, Word of Crota)
There are medium impact medium rate of fire (Faction hand Cannons, TFWPKY, Fatebringer, Devil You Know)
There are high impact Low Rof hand cannons (Timur's Lash, Sir Isaac)

You only need to try one from each type to know how the archetype performs.

The downside for including numbers is that just looking at a number isn't going to tell you the final damage done to an enemy. It's superfluous, and has you worrying about numbers instead of actually playing the game. More numbers = less immersion in an FPS.

Update's Up!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:48 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hand Cannons have exactly three possible impact values. There's no in between. Your scenario is impossible. Hand cannons in the same archetype will do the same amount of damage all things being equal.

There are low impact high rof (Devil you Don't, Word of Crota)
There are medium impact medium rate of fire (Faction hand Cannons, TFWPKY, Fatebringer, Devil You Know)
There are high impact Low Rof hand cannons (Timur's Lash, Sir Isaac)

You only need to try one from each type to know how the archetype performs.

Okay. I think you're being kind of nit-picky, but if you replace handcannons with scout-rifles, sniper rifles, or pretty much any other weapon in the game, the argument holds.

The downside for including numbers is that just looking at a number isn't going to tell you the final damage done to an enemy. It's superfluous, and has you worrying about numbers instead of actually playing the game. More numbers = less immersion in an FPS.

I'm not asking for the final damage (It would be nice, but there's too many unexposed variables). I'm just asking for a more precise way to compare guns before I buy them.

If you think those mock-ups I made with the numbers at the side of the bars flip the switch from "immersive" to "not immersive"... I don't know how to respond to that.

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:51 (3315 days ago) @ CyberKN

If you think those mock-ups I made with the numbers at the side of the bars flip the switch from "immersive" to "not immersive"... I don't know how to respond to that.

I think it's just completely and utterly redundant, and provides you with no new significant information.

You have a point about comparing two guns not in your inventory, and I don't know the solution to that.

Update's Up!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:15 (3315 days ago) @ CyberKN

Why is clip size so important, compared to Rate-of-Fire for example? As far as I know, there isn't a sniper rifle in the game that holds more than 6 rounds a standard clip. Therefore, The bar for sniper rifle clip-size would be full at 6, and half at three. Other weapons would follow suit.

Taking a guess, probably because you're presented with that number in the HUD, and because you can count the shots.

The tower crucible vendor has two handcannons for sale, "Lefty" and "Righty". Due to the way the game currently is, you can only compare vendor items to your currently equipped weapon.

I totally forgot to mention that, that's another reason to have them. It would be nice to be able to have the right trigger comparison for any two weapons, but failing that, or even along with that, having numbers instead of bars would let you remember or write down the number and then go compare it to any other gun.

Update's Up!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:41 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Numbers alone tell you jack shit, whereas USING THE GUN and playing the game tells you everything.

You do realize two and one are numbers, right? They could base the numbers in something very practical, like how many shots it takes to kill some enemy, that would be fine. Even without that, if I know the numbers and how they interact, I can make that determination.

The numbers should be completely hidden in my opinion, which they are (aside from damage). You are playing a first person shooter, not a spreadsheet simulator. The bars exist to just give you a general sense of whether you'd want to use the weapon or not.

I thought it would be clear by now, but maybe it's not: I don't want just a general sense of whether to use a weapon or not, I want to know which one is the best choice. If the bars made that completely unambiguous I wouldn't be complaining. I know there are multiple factors in what makes a weapon better but as it stands I can't even get a good look at those factors without going to some website or going and testing the weapon, and even in testing, I'm bad at estimating and I have a bad memory, so I can easily miss a difference that might be clear to someone else.
As I said, maybe I'm coming at it wrong and the point is just to intuit or guess or even just mostly ignore the bars, I just don't want it to be that way.

I don't see how you can argue numbers that we aren't seeing wouldn't be meaningful if we could see them. In particular, reload could easily be put in terms of seconds, and rate of fire could easily be in rounds per minute, as it is in real life. Having numbers for those would be both meaningful and helpful.

Update's Up!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:49 (3315 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I thought it would be clear by now, but maybe it's not: I don't want just a general sense of whether to use a weapon or not, I want to know which one is the best choice. If the bars made that completely unambiguous I wouldn't be complaining.

Actual numbers would not make it any less ambiguous as to the "best" choice. In case you didn't know, most guns have similar DPS across their archetypes, and across the primaries. On paper they are all the same essentially, except for certain exotics. The "best" choice is whatever you prefer; something you do not know until you go shoot stuff with the gun.

Update's Up!

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:20 (3315 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by General Vagueness, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:34

I thought it would be clear by now, but maybe it's not: I don't want just a general sense of whether to use a weapon or not, I want to know which one is the best choice. If the bars made that completely unambiguous I wouldn't be complaining.

Actual numbers would not make it any less ambiguous as to the "best" choice. In case you didn't know, most guns have similar DPS across their archetypes, and across the primaries. On paper they are all the same essentially, except for certain exotics. The "best" choice is whatever you prefer; something you do not know until you go shoot stuff with the gun.

I know what I prefer. I prefer high impact and/or fast reload. Currently, estimating reload times is a crap shoot, and I can't tell what has high impact outside of hand cannons and kind of shotguns, and that's only because I've spent a lot of time looking at impact bars for them, and have seen numbers for the actual impact bars in the case of hand cannons. Having numbers would tell me "hey, you'll like this gun", without me having to possibly buy and possibly level up that gun and then test it.

To counter your argument about the number of shots it takes, that doesn't account for switching weapons, or for using grenades or melees-- and melees are extremely relevant to me as a Hunter.

For your recurring argument about immersion, the point is to be able to look, make a decision, and then move on with the actual game. Maybe not being sure what you're getting increases immersion for you, but for me it causes worry (which is realistic, but not enjoyable).

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread