So is Halo officially dead yet? (Off-Topic)

by Spec ops Grunt @, Broklahoma, Friday, March 27, 2015, 09:17 (3311 days ago)

also I forgot my hbo password :p

So is Halo officially dead yet?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 27, 2015, 09:23 (3311 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Heh

I quite like the potential of the whole "Traitor" thing.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, March 27, 2015, 09:54 (3311 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heh

If you forget your HBO password you are considered a traitor?*wink*

Obviously.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 27, 2015, 10:01 (3311 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:54 (3311 days ago) @ ZackDark

Heh

Really?

For me it sounds like a "jumping the shark" moment.

Halo has always been a bit odd about its main character. Not as secretive as Marathon was, but the chief was taciturn and resolute-- brave, but without the kind of swagger that defines characters in other military shooters or in franchises like Gears of War.

Military politics was not, I think, something the Halo series did well. It was kept entirely out of the main sequence of games, and featured prominently only in the books and other materials, which are not as good examples of those forms as Halo is as a video game. I find them mostly superfluous.

Accusations that the chief's collaboration (sort of) with the Arbiter might have somehow constituted treason might be something interesting to explore, but I don't think they're going that route when the first thing we see is Agent Locke (ugh) trying to find the Chief... by asking the Arbiter.

(Also, WTF is up with that hat, seriously. I really hated what Halo Wars' elite designs did to the franchise, and since Reach it really seems as if that aesthetic took over almost entirely. I've also played only a bit of MCC and I'm not liking the reworked art for Halo 2 any more than I did with Halo 1.

And now the future of the franchise is free to play Halo in Russia by Sabre. This I think was probably a good idea five years ago, but I think they may be too late with it now. Halo in the region went right past being something nobody knew about to being something old they've forgotten about.

Yeah, really

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, March 27, 2015, 13:54 (3311 days ago) @ narcogen

Sure, it can easily suck, but as I've said, I like the potential.

It's not like they can bring back the Flood or simply make up a new big bad without all of us groaning. Why not expand on the "ONI is evil" vibe we've been getting for a very long time now?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 27, 2015, 20:08 (3311 days ago) @ narcogen

And now the future of the franchise is free to play Halo in Russia by Sabre. This I think was probably a good idea five years ago, but I think they may be too late with it now. Halo in the region went right past being something nobody knew about to being something old they've forgotten about.

Wait, what? Woah. I did not even know this was planned.

Yeah, that's proof of the end right there.

It would have been wonderful for Halo to just end with the MC going back into stasis… and have it be that.

by petetheduck, Friday, March 27, 2015, 10:51 (3311 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

I don't know how people have maintained enthusiasm for Halo over the past few months--I have completely walked away from Halo after the Master Chief Collection. It is up to 343 Industries and all their contracted companies to put together a great game this Fall that brings me back.

14 Years

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 14:16 (3310 days ago) @ petetheduck

Star Trek TNG came out in 1987, and Voyager ended in 2001. After that it just died, and Enterprise was so bad I only got through 2 episodes.

Halo is 14 years old this year.

Life, people, and the world just change too much to do the same thing for so long. After so long you are going to lose people. You might gain new people, but if you're looking at a community that started before Halo was born, you're definitely going to see interest wane or just flat out stop. That doesn't mean they didn't pick people up along the way who are new fans.

But back to Star Trek. What brought it back to life? Simple. A complete and utter change. The new films have virtually none of what made Star Trek near and dear to me, but they are still awesome…

If 343 wants to stick with Halo, they can either stay the course and keep the new fans, or they can completely switch directions with something totally fresh.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 20:00 (3309 days ago) @ petetheduck

I don't know how people have maintained enthusiasm for Halo over the past few months--I have completely walked away from Halo after the Master Chief Collection. It is up to 343 Industries and all their contracted companies to put together a great game this Fall that brings me back.

That is seriously heartbreaking. Forge is better than ever, custom game options support it better than ever, it just needs someone with good ideas for things to build in it. Yes, matchmaking has issues, really every mode has issues, and Forged maps in this are unlikely to ever get into matchmaking, but they can still be enjoyed.

by petetheduck, Monday, March 30, 2015, 13:46 (3308 days ago) @ General Vagueness

That is seriously heartbreaking. Forge is better than ever, custom game options support it better than ever, it just needs someone with good ideas for things to build in it. Yes, matchmaking has issues, really every mode has issues, and Forged maps in this are unlikely to ever get into matchmaking, but they can still be enjoyed.

No file sharing support, extremely cumbersome and unintuitive UI, foundation game is an anniversary title, not backwards compatible with previous Forge creations, next game less than a year away at launch.

Yeah, Certain Affinity did a great job with Forge. Every other aspect of the Master Chief Collection makes me not want to Forge.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, March 30, 2015, 17:56 (3308 days ago) @ petetheduck

No file sharing support, extremely cumbersome and unintuitive UI, foundation game is an anniversary title, not backwards compatible with previous Forge creations, next game less than a year away at launch.

There's file sharing support, adding stuff to your file share is similar to before, and to get to other people's file shares you have to go through either the active roster or the leaderboards (I believe the leaderboards are through the start menu, and you press X a few times to show your friends, then select one and press A to bring up a menu, and then pick file share). The UI isn't any worse than Halo 4's... other than the file share. Also Forge was never backwards-compatible before.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:24 (3311 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

Probably for the best.
Enthusiasm for the Halo franchise is almost non-existent after the constant disasters that 343 defecates (the last of which is that "New Blood" story that butchers the greatest thing Halo had left: ODST).

I've been meaning to make a post on HBO regarding the potential of an isometric shooter set in the universe (like Spartan Assault), since I've been playing a lot of Helldivers, and it's the ODST game that Halo needs... But I feel that posting there is pretty pointless, since there's nothing but Tumblrina snowflakes frequenting that forum now...

Is Halo dead? Halo 5 will tell, though things are looking up... The Halo community, however? That's definitely dead.

*corrections*

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 27, 2015, 11:44 (3311 days ago) @ Korny

Is Halo dead?

No. Merely a different form. A more reasonable question would have been "Is the Halo I know and love, dead?" to which the answer is "Yeah".

Halo 5 will tell, though things are looking up...

Things are looking up. If Halo is 'our' Star Wars, then Halo 4,5+ are episodes 1,2,3. And there were people that liked those. So, yeah. I guess.

The Halo community, however? That's definitely dead.

This is false, globally, but perhaps true, locally.

HBO might be heading to a quiet slumber, but other communities are alive and well. The 405th alone has had more life breathed into it in the last year than I've seen in the last 5.

Waypoint is just as bustling as Bnet, if that counts for anything.

It's all a matter of perspective....

by TheGhostBrigade, Friday, March 27, 2015, 12:31 (3311 days ago) @ Korny

Personally I am gobbling up every last bit of Halo I can still get. I love the last two books, loved the Halo 5 beta (though I didn't get to play it much), and only don't have the current issues of the Escalation comic because I'm waiting for the collection.

That's not to say I'm a giant fan of everything 343 has done, I have a strong dislike of the Kilo-Five trilogy, Halo 4 wasn't all it was hyped up to be (but told a better story than Halo 3 or Reach, IMO), and they most definitely completely botched the MCC release.

I used to post fairly regularly at HBO (I'm Metalingus627 over there), but since I'm one of maybe three people there who still likes Halo, I've kind of just learned to enjoy it for myself. I find more enjoyment that way, instead of just reading the constant barrage of hate.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 20:46 (3308 days ago) @ Korny
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 20:52

Probably for the best.
Enthusiasm for the Halo franchise is almost non-existent after the constant disasters that 343 defecates (the last of which is that "New Blood" story that butchers the greatest thing Halo had left: ODST).

I've been meaning to make a post on HBO regarding the potential of an isometric shooter set in the universe (like Spartan Assault), since I've been playing a lot of Helldivers, and it's the ODST game that Halo needs... But I feel that posting there is pretty pointless, since there's nothing but Tumblrina snowflakes frequenting that forum now...

Usually I would encourage anyone and everyone that's still a little bit interested to stay, or join up, but you seem to have an agenda. I don't know or care what exactly it is or if it's really an agenda. I just know whatever it is it's even more annoying than the little off-topic posts that about nothing that have shown up more and more, and much more annoying than the medium-sized off-topic posts about tolerance and equality that have shown up more-- often in response to something you said. On top of that, unlike some people, you really seem to have a sense of tact or politeness, and a fairly good one, and just... refuse to use it, whenever you deem a topic of discussion stupid. So I won't try to convince you to stay.

For me, yes.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 27, 2015, 15:07 (3311 days ago) @ Spec ops Grunt

- No text -

Playtime's over, folks

by petetheduck, Friday, March 27, 2015, 18:14 (3311 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Playtime's over, folks

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 27, 2015, 19:53 (3311 days ago) @ petetheduck

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread