Lessons Learned (Off-Topic)

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 29, 2015, 13:37 (3314 days ago)

So I've been doing my quarterly deep cleaning, and Friday was the "move all the things and dust/clean/etc behind them" day. I'd done well, ahead of schedule, and so I rewarded myself with a bag of mixed chocolate minis. Yesterday, I decided that since I'd never had dark chocolate before, I'd go ahead and have a few. And by few, I mean all of them in the bag.

I took a break from the reorganization to try and get my warlock through the weekly. We were about halfway through the door when it happened -- within two minutes I went from being able to see to effectively blind. The edges of my peripheral vision was still fine, and I knew that there were colors and shapes in the center of my vision, but my eyes absolutely refused to process any details at all.

Within a few minutes, the mother of all migraines hit me like a freight train. Like, crawl into the bathroom to wet down a rag blindly and seriously contemplate falling asleep on the tile. Somehow, I made it back to my room and crawled into bed, getting the xbox and lights off. Soon enough, my body went into "To heck with this, I'm out" and I was asleep.

Eleven hours later, I woke up. I'm so glad I didn't work last night.

My roomies were nice enough to explain to me today that yes, dark chocolate can cause migraines. Lesson learned: Just because I can eat chocolate now doesn't mean that I necessarially should. Especially not in large quantities.

So... You experienced the true power of The Darkness?!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 13:58 (3314 days ago) @ Dagoonite

- No text -

A++ Would groan again.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Sunday, March 29, 2015, 14:06 (3314 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

The Darkness!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, March 29, 2015, 15:20 (3314 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Man, that sucks.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Monday, March 30, 2015, 06:30 (3314 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Such a shame! I love dark chocolate, never heard of it causing migraines. Glad you're okay now though!

Seriously, a nice 80% cocoa, laced with ground peppers? Yummm.

Man, that sucks.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 30, 2015, 07:26 (3314 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

That sounds... strangely good. I was honestly surprised that I liked the dark chocolate, since I don't like chocolate chip cookies. I think its because I couldn't smell the chocolate as strongly as in cookies -- I grew up with severe allergies to it, and my brain wired itself to make me sick whenever I smell it. (I'm talking, like, a teaspoon of chopped up malted milkballs almost killed me when I was eight. When I was younger, a sip of Coke would leave me in hives for a day. I couldn't even eat butter pecan iced cream because they run it after the chocolate.)

I've outgrown the allergies for a decade now, but I'm still slowly exploring it. I might have to try the coco and crushed peppers, though...

Sea salt or bust!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 30, 2015, 11:50 (3313 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

- No text -

Lessons Learned

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 30, 2015, 14:45 (3313 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I feel your pain. I find I can still enjoy dark chocolate, but I have to be careful how much I consume.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread