What Necrochasm could have been (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 18:45 (3332 days ago)

Cursed. Grows stronger by feasting off fallen enemies. Why couldn't Bungie have rolled that into the exotic? Imagine the main perk:

You cannot un-equip Necrochasm while in a darkness zone or while alive in crucible. Health regeneration from any source is disabled. You are healed 5% of damage dealt, up to 200% health. Weapon damage scales with your health.

So, while at 200% health, the gun does 200% damage. BUT, while at 30% health, the gun does 30% damage. This creates a positive feedback loop. The stronger you are, the more damage you do and the more you can heal. The weaker you are, the less damage you do, so it's even harder to heal.

You can only change out the gun while dead in crucible or while outside a darkness zone, to keep you from just changing guns to heal.

It'd be a high risk high reward gun, especially in crucible. If you health goes too low, you'd be dead in the water since your damage would be pitiful. But stay strong, and you'll have a beast. Secondary, Heavy, and supers would still work, but you can only heal with damage dealt using Necrochasm.

Something like that.

Meh

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:04 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You deal less damage as you are getting shot? I don't think that would work very well at all. At the very least it would be time-consuming to balance.

Meh

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:09 (3332 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

You deal less damage as you are getting shot? I don't think that would work very well at all. At the very least it would be time-consuming to balance.

I'd be interested to try one out who's damage was the inverse of my health. The question is, how do you balance a gun like that and at what point do the two lines intersect? 100% health? 50% health?

It's actually a 9th degree polynomial function. Here you go.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:15 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

[image]

It's actually a 9th degree polynomial function. Here you go.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:50 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Batman hanging upside down? ;)

Batman surrendering!

by scarab @, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 14:47 (3331 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

TF2 did this...

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, March 30, 2015, 20:29 (3332 days ago) @ dogcow

There's a pair of boots the soldier wears that allow your rocket launcher to deal more damage the closer you are to being dead. It had it's day, some good side effects like rocket jumping and then dealing extra damage from unexpected positions. But IIRC it was balanced enough that it wasn't any more or less powerful overall than anything else.

You know, like Gjallarhorn. ;)

What Nechrochasm also could have been

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:04 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Imagine this: the gun shoots vodka infused gummy bears.

They don't do much damage individually, but have a stacking damage over time effect so they still kill as quick.

And, instead of killing, they just make the guy pass out and pee himself. BUT the pee is toxic, so it kills all the other nearby dudes.

Perks: Golden Corral gummy bears. The last half of the magazine shoots gummy bears that have been sitting outside at an all you can eat buffet next to the ice cream for weeks and are hard as a rock. They do more damage, but don't deal DOT.

When you reload, it makes kitten meowing noises.

What Nechrochasm also could have been

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:07 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

This could actually be a thing in Borderlands.

We'll call it: the Nyancatchasm.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:07 (3332 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Woops, nevermind, that already exists.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, March 30, 2015, 20:38 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Leave it to f%&$ing Garry's Mod.

So this, but with alcohol soaked gummy bears, Funkmon?

Dead on.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 30, 2015, 20:44 (3332 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

What Necrochasm could have been

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, March 30, 2015, 19:11 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

TBH, I think the concept sounds fun. Use of cover and surprise attacks would be crucial.

I'm sure the exact numbers would need tweaking for balance, but I don't really see a problem with the basic function.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 30, 2015, 20:20 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Meh. The extremes are far too extreme. After a few hits the gun is suddenly doing +33% damage... that's a Weapons of Light level increase just for landing a few shots! The interplay between doing damage and receiving damage might actually be pretty interesting to ponder but all someone really needs to do is get in a little damage and they are suddenly god-like. Remember, Pulse Rifles moved from unused to potent with a mere +9.7% increase in damage... and you're setting the top end boost at +100%?! While the player is twice as tough?! It would take a rocket or a super to kill you... if the enemy could get close enough, which would be one heck of a big if.

A maximum of +10% boost to damage and health might start to approach reasonable levels. +100% is just crazy talk and would be game breaking.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, March 30, 2015, 21:41 (3332 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, March 30, 2015, 21:46

A maximum of +10% boost to damage and health might start to approach reasonable levels. +100% is just crazy talk and would be game breaking.

In PvP, you take a lot of damage very quickly. It would not take much to bring you back to normal. Plus, you are forgetting about the opposite end: where you take so much damage that you now have a pea shooter.

It would take time to build to 200%. 5% of 14 is .7. That's how much health you'd gain on the first shot. You are looking at putting 50 something headshots just to get to 200% in the first place. Can you do that without taking damage? If you can, then you definitely deserve the boost, and the opponents deserve what they get for letting you get there.

It balances out. Remember, Necrochasm at 100% damage sucks ass.

Thrall explosions trigger off any hit- now fixed

by Durandal, Monday, March 30, 2015, 22:59 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Increase rate of fire, larger mag, and done. Let'er rip boys!

I'm guessing it should be called...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 00:58 (3332 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...the Necrogasm?

Sorry, everyone. Truly.

YEEEEAAAAAAAAH!

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 08:56 (3332 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

I've always called it that.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 15:42 (3331 days ago) @ Leviathan

I've always called it that.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 16:50 (3331 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Boom!

Since I just joined this forum, I couldn't possibly have seen that.

Hey...you're trying to trick, me aren't you?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 16:51 (3331 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 16:56

I don't really have one that fits perfectly. Damn.

Hey...you're trying to trick, me aren't you?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 17:03 (3331 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I don't really have one that fits perfectly. Damn.

Hah, still made me laugh aloud!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 19:01 (3330 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just read the grimoire card.

The result was a weapon that would feed on its owner’s aggression—reaching further when angry eyes drew focus, its hunger rising as it tore through bone and flesh.

Replace rangefinder with this perk:

This weapon grows more accurate and does more damage the longer it is fired (up to ~200%)

If that doesn't reward mindless aggression, I don't know what does.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread