Knew it, Destiny is using technics to ADDICT us (Destiny)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 18:21 (3329 days ago)

I know some said I was crazy and that they wouldn't engineer a game that way. But they did and they admitted in the GDC presentations. I didn't have time to read them all yet (I also always go for the more technical ones anyways, in terms of code as I am a programmer myself), but IGN posted how they admitted to designing the game to make you addicted and not wanted to put it down. This is the type of stuff that scares me, cause I don't like that someone else can control my actions in such a grand scheme. I would imagine, and hope, that this type of thing would seriously be illegal, it's like when Coka cola actually put COKE in their drink, so you would be addicted and buy more.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/02/bungie-used-behavioral-psychology-to-make-destiny-appealing

I don't get what you are mad it. This was OBVIOUS from day 1

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 18:43 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Of course they want you to keep playing their game.

That's the way they can continue to make money.

Making more money allows them to make more game(s).

There isn't anything insidious about it. It's not like they're sitting in a dark room, twirling their mustaches trying to get you hooked with malicious intent.

It comes down to the individual, and ultimately what they like. I hesitate to say there is a "wrong" way to play Destiny, but it is obvious that it is designed to give the player incentive to play a little bit everyday. How is it doing this?

*Daily heroic mission
*Refreshing bounties
*Various economies to upgrade armor and guns
*Factions and reputation
*Caps on what you can earn

^^^These aren't BAD things, but that last one is important. Players that play Destiny everyday for 8 hours or more and are running 3 different characters, chasing intangible rewards that are decided by RANDOM chance 95% of the time, are going to have a bad time. Destiny isn't meant to be played like that, unless you're addicted.

The ideal way to play is of course for fun, and enjoyment, but a little bit at a time. If you gorge yourself on Destiny, it sucks as a video game.

It's an empty snack.

It's like eating a whole bag of potato chips, and then loathing yourself after.

Moderation.

Say it with me again: moderation.

I feel like, you've kinda had a moment where you realized "GUYS, We're rats! In a maze! What are they doing!?" and you feel like you're being taken advantage of.

Your not. That is, if you can convince yourself to put the controller down when there isn't anything for you to do, or you aren't having fun.

For me, Destiny is a console version of a mobile game. So I don't play it often unless I have nothing better to do.

^^That's not a criticism on the game- merely me acknowledging the game, telling it that I know what it is, and it isn't going to fool me into something....idk. Basically, I know when to say "I'm done, for today".

The key for me, is knowing what Destiny is trying to get me to do, how it is trying to suck me in (in a good way, with Raids and friends) and in bad ways (with material\level grinding, bad story telling, promises of more content that leave me....wanting).

So lately I've been playing Bloodborne and things on the Wii U, and I'm having a great time. I hop on Destiny once, maybe twice a week, play the weekly stuff with friends, and then leave. Sure, when HoW is out, I'll play the hell out of it for a few weeks, but then I'll be done. Other fun to be had elsewhere.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but all I want to say to your post is:

DUH!

I don't get what you are mad it. This was OBVIOUS from day 1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:19 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

*Refreshing bounties

This means renewing the limited set of bounties on a daily basis... not the cold beer on a hot day style of refreshing :)

You clearly don't get my point

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:20 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I actually stated this FROM day one, on these forums. What I am saying is they are using our own physiology to get us to be addicted to something so they could sell us more of that, and that is a BAD thing.

Of course they want you to keep playing their game.

That's the way they can continue to make money.

Making more money allows them to make more game(s).

There isn't anything insidious about it. It's not like they're sitting in a dark room, twirling their mustaches trying to get you hooked with malicious intent.

This IS Insidious. How is it not? I can't even understand that reasoning. We are going to make your mind do funny things so we can take your money. if a Salesman did this it would be illegal.

I feel like, you've kinda had a moment where you realized "GUYS, We're rats! In a maze! What are they doing!?" and you feel like you're being taken advantage of.

Your not. That is, if you can convince yourself to put the controller down when there isn't anything for you to do, or you aren't having fun.

Again I stated this since the day Destiny came out. it's just now proof. And it 100% is being taken advantage of. Think of all the people who don't realize that. I knew it was happening and still seriously put my job in jeopardy by playing this game as much as I work. That's crazy. Halo didn't do that to me, yet I bet I played it just as much.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:24 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

This IS Insidious. How is it not? I can't even understand that reasoning. We are going to make your mind do funny things so we can take your money. if a Salesman did this it would be illegal.

Seriously... what do you think beer commercials are doing?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:32 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's advertising. Beer is KNOWN to be addictive and that is fine since you know and it is advertised as such.

Just like the other statement though, this is not apples to apples at all. Beer is addictive so it must be made clear that it is so, so much it can be a detriment to your life and the people around you. But you are a grown up and are allowed to take it. The game is not clear that it is actively trying to trick you into playing it more. As I said in one example, it's Coke adding actual coke to their drink to make it addictive.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:48 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

That's advertising. Beer is KNOWN to be addictive and that is fine since you know and it is advertised as such.

Not true- I've sampled many beers. The first time I was excited to see what all the fuss was about.

They all taste like piss.

Just like the other statement though, this is not apples to apples at all. Beer is addictive so it must be made clear that it is so, so much it can be a detriment to your life and the people around you. But you are a grown up and are allowed to take it. The game is not clear that it is actively trying to trick you into playing it more. As I said in one example, it's Coke adding actual coke to their drink to make it addictive.

It's not trying to trick anyone. They aren't taking anything from you, except your time, and MANY things are time sinks.

Halo was a time sink for a lot of us. We didn't "get" anything from it either.

Except fun.

Yeah. Fun things are worth doing.

In moderation.

Of course there are going to be jackasses who don't know when to stop, and it will consume them. That can happen with anything.

Destiny is not the same thing as a cigarette.

YES, there will be SOME people, who have little self control, and play Destiny 24/7. I'd wager those people are weak willed enough that anything could get them hooked in the right conditions.

o_o

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:50 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Not true- I've sampled many beers. The first time I was excited to see what all the fuss was about.

Wut.

o_o

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:52 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Wut.

Beer sux.

I said it.

I weigh 150lbs, and I have to drink 4 of them to get a buzz. They taste terrible, and my body can't hold that much liquid.

So I'll take a shot or two of Crown instead. Less liquid, more bang for my buck, and if I haven't eaten anything prior, I feel goooooooooooooooood faster ;)

o_o

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:55 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:00

Wut.

Beer sux.

I said it.

I weigh 150lbs, and I have to drink 4 of them to get a buzz. They taste terrible, and my body can't hold that much liquid.

So I'll take a shot or two of Crown instead. Less liquid, more bang for my buck, and if I haven't eaten anything prior, I feel goooooooooooooooood faster ;)

nooooooooooo...

o_o

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:11 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Obviously you need to drink more beer til you find some good ones. Crown is a decent enough whiskey and I'm sure it wasn't the first one you drank.

Like this one.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:14 (3329 days ago) @ unoudid

[image]

Like this one.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:29 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

That actually looks pretty tasty. I may have to track one down and give it a try.

-Disciple

Like this one.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:30 (3329 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

[image]

That actually looks pretty tasty. I may have to track one down and give it a try.

-Disciple

If you ever are in Portland I know a guy that works there. We can play darts.

Like this one.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:38 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Can you send a case to Kansas?

Shut up. Your advertisements fail to entice me!

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:39 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Unless you look like this.

[image]

And drinking that somehow increases my chances of yo- I'll stop.

But yeah beer? You only rent it. A liquor hangover is one that sticks with you. Now that's getting your money's worth.

aHa.

Deal!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, April 03, 2015, 11:00 (3328 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If you ever are in Portland I know a guy that works there. We can play darts.

Not that I'll ever make it up that way. But if I do ever find my self in the area, I'm totally down!

-Disciple

+1

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:09 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Beer: Smells FANTASTIC! Tastes like horse piss.

Wine, rum, whiskey, any kind of liquor...all of these are acceptable. I've just never found a beer I'd actually enjoy drinking.

-Disciple

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:11 (3329 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

[image]

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:09 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Again my main point is being missed a bit, they are actually changing your brain (this is a fact). And Halo was one of my examples of how it was good, fun and didn't need to alter my brain.

I am not a weak willed person in any way (well maybe for video games in general). I certainly did not expect to get hooked as I did. I understand there is choice, but your brain is being altered whether you choose to or not.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Again my main point is being missed a bit, they are actually changing your brain (this is a fact). And Halo was one of my examples of how it was good, fun and didn't need to alter my brain.

I am not a weak willed person in any way (well maybe for video games in general). I certainly did not expect to get hooked as I did. I understand there is choice, but your brain is being altered whether you choose to or not.

No it's not.

It is not being altered.

Rewards in general trigger that rush of dopa-mine that makes you want more.

Cake tastes good. I should eat more cake and I'll keep feeling good!

I just won a lottery ticket! I should buy again!

That stripper put her tits in my face when I gave her money! I should do that again!

I just beat that level in candy crush, but I'm out of lives (disclaimer: never played it, I don't know what limits people and what they can buy to keep playing but I know its a thing). I'll buy some more!

I just got a sweet loot drop from running that strike! I'll run another one!

I got your point and I hear you, but we aren't all in the matrix man. Maybe. I...I'm getting to deep here.

MY point is, some people realize they are being gamed, and some don't. Not just in Destiny, but all around you.

You want to win the game? Don't play it, I guess. Or just know when to stop.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:18 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

That;s the thing, this type of system is KNOWN to change how your brain works. That's why their are addiction centers. And I agree some people know when to stop and some don't. That doesn't always make it alright. And in my opinion in this case it doesn't.

Except Halo DID change your brain

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:19 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I think the only thing you could legitimately be mad about is how they actively researched on how to make the game as addictive as possible, as opposed to simply use methods used by others.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, April 03, 2015, 19:57 (3328 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Refreshing piss. :D

by Fuertisimo, Friday, April 03, 2015, 23:35 (3328 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So... do you think it's a good thing that beer commercials are doing that?

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 00:30 (3328 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

So... do you think it's a good thing that beer commercials are doing that?

Nope.

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 17:53 (3327 days ago) @ Claude Errera

So... I can infer that you don't think Bungie doing that is good either then? Or is this different?

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 19:45 (3327 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

So... I can infer that you don't think Bungie doing that is good either then? Or is this different?

If you're asking if I'd answer the same if your question had been "do you think it's a good thing that Bungie is doing that?" (where "that" is "consciously manipulating its audience to sell more product") - sure. I would.

I don't think it's a BAD thing that they're doing it - in truth, I don't really care that they're doing it. I think it's the standard way of doing things, and I think MOST sellers (of ANYTHING) try and manipulate their audience to sell more product. (I'm not upset about beer companies doing it, either.)

In short - I'm pretty apathetic about it. I know it's happening, in the abstract I'd be fine if it weren't happening, but it doesn't really affect me in any real way. (I don't feel like I play more than I want to, if that's what you were getting at.)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 20:22 (3327 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I don't feel like I play more than I want to, if that's what you were getting at.

That, right there, is the key to this entire argument.

Are any of us playing more than we want to?

I don't mean to sound callous, but if anyone answers that question with "yes", I would say "that's your own fault".

Yes, Destiny clearly has hooks in place designed to keep players coming back. Big surprise. Forget about beer & cigarette commercials... The entertainment industry has been "manipulating" consumers for decades. Every cliffhanger ending, celebrity guest appearance, crossover special, heck even "sequels", are all designed to manipulate is into watching/playing/reading something we might otherwise skip. Videogames have taken things to another level, but can we blame developers? We're the ones demanding more time from their games.

At the end of the day, every minute we spend playing Destiny is a conscious choice. We need to take responsibility for how we spend our time. I see Destiny's manipulative hooks, and concede that they work on my (just hit 565 hours). But I find the hooks FUN. I'm genuinely enjoying myself.

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 20:58 (3327 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Interesting.

by Fuertisimo, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 20:59 (3327 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Apathy is one route to go when faced with something like that I suppose.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:36 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I actually stated this FROM day one, on these forums. What I am saying is they are using our own physiology to get us to be addicted to something so they could sell us more of that, and that is a BAD thing.

I'd agree with you if they had added micro transactions to the game. But as is, they gave us a high quality game (still lacks a good story) that intentionally keeps people coming back for more.

Devils Advocate here:
You could also look at them making this game addictive and selling us more as a good thing. Since you are playing it so much and other games less then you are saving money buy not purchasing/playing other games.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:43 (3329 days ago) @ unoudid

Devils Advocate here:
You could also look at them making this game addictive and selling us more as a good thing. Since you are playing it so much and other games less then you are saving money buy not purchasing/playing other games.

I certainly see the point, but that could also be considered making a monopoly with unfair practices. If everyone else then used that practice it would be a bad situation.

I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my point of view on this, although I wish I did cause I think this is a part of a bigger issue in the US at least, but I want people to start thinking about it. Ethically, spiritually, monetarily, do we really want companies to control us this way?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:02 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I certainly see the point, but that could also be considered making a monopoly with unfair practices. If everyone else then used that practice it would be a bad situation.

I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with my point of view on this, although I wish I did cause I think this is a part of a bigger issue in the US at least, but I want people to start thinking about it. Ethically, spiritually, monetarily, do we really want companies to control us this way?

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say "do we really want companies to control us this way"

They have created a game with some very real psychological factors in place. They continually dangle that Gjallahorn in front of your face every raid/nightfall, etc.... to keep you coming back for more. They have all of the daily tasks to do which are still short enough to be able to do every day. the list goes on and on of little things to keep you coming back.

With that said, it's still our choice to keep playing in this manner if we choose to do so. They have not laced the disc with some sort of drug to hook us on this game (which would be illegal). There is no chance to win money by playing more. They simply created a game that keeps people coming back for more.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:06 (3329 days ago) @ unoudid

But the psychology they are actively engaging in DOES change the way our brain works, whether we want it to or not. That's the difference.

I agree I can play it how I want to, but your brain has still been affected. That's my issue.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:09 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

But the psychology they are actively engaging in DOES change the way our brain works, whether we want it to or not. That's the difference.

I agree I can play it how I want to, but your brain has still been affected. That's my issue.

I'd look at this the opposite way. Our brains already work in this fashion. They are just providing a game that plays to the way our brains already work.

THIS. Chris, read this.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:19 (3329 days ago) @ unoudid

I don't know why I couldn't articulate it.

We are already programmed to run this way.

That's why things like eating, sleeping and sex feel good- when we get them we want more of them.

Drugs alter your mind.

Destiny in itself does not. But I agree with you that it can take advantage of certain people. Anything can.

THIS. Chris, read this.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:26 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Yea I fully understand how the brain works and we want things that give us dopamine. I am saying that this is more than dopamine.

You don't seem to understand yourself

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:28 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Your brain is affected by anything you do. Memories, skills, knowledge - they are all changes in your brain's interconnections. That is how it is able to work at all.

But I do

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:31 (3329 days ago) @ RC

Yes of course everything you do affects your brain. But certain items directly change your brain and how it functions in the future, i.e.: changing the pathways your brain takes. They purposely chose to alter your brain, if they did that through unwanted surgery you would be angry, but here you are not?

*** a bit more

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:34 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

The difference is intention and the degree to which things are being changed.

Yes I hate this idea that we can influence each other so much as a general statement, but when a company does it to take your money, that used to be illegal at least.

But I do

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:40 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yes of course everything you do affects your brain. But certain items directly change your brain and how it functions in the future, i.e.: changing the pathways your brain takes. They purposely chose to alter your brain, if they did that through unwanted surgery you would be angry, but here you are not?

You missed his point. He took issue with your claim that 'Destiny changes your brain' - because either that change is trivial (in the sense that EVERYTHING YOU DO changes your brain - the changes that Destiny makes are the same kind of changes that riding a roller-coaster makes - or because you're mistaken (if you're thinking that there are brain changes happening when you play Destiny that are DIFFERENT or more radical than the changes that occur when you play ANY game, or, well, do pretty much anything). Destiny is not some sort of cult-like modifier - it won't make you turn on your family or quit your job. It's a game. And for the vast majority of the human race, it's pretty much like any other game out there - it triggers certain pleasure points in our brains and makes us want to keep playing it. (Just about any good game - INCLUDING HALO - does exactly the same thing.)

Yes, for some people, those triggers are a cause for concern - those are the same people that might have trouble with alcohol, or drugs, or gambling. Destiny doesn't turn us into addicts, though - if we have that tendency and play it, we might have more trouble than other people putting it down, but if we don't have that tendency, Destiny won't INDUCE it.

I'm pretty confused by why this is news to you, actually.

But I do

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:58 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You missed his point. He took issue with your claim that 'Destiny changes your brain' - because either that change is trivial (in the sense that EVERYTHING YOU DO changes your brain - the changes that Destiny makes are the same kind of changes that riding a roller-coaster makes - or because you're mistaken (if you're thinking that there are brain changes happening when you play Destiny that are DIFFERENT or more radical than the changes that occur when you play ANY game, or, well, do pretty much anything). Destiny is not some sort of cult-like modifier - it won't make you turn on your family or quit your job. It's a game. And for the vast majority of the human race, it's pretty much like any other game out there - it triggers certain pleasure points in our brains and makes us want to keep playing it. (Just about any good game - INCLUDING HALO - does exactly the same thing.)

No I fully got his point. Yes I believe Destiny changes it in a radically different way, and their GDC presentation shows that. It's not triggering these things, its initiating them. That's the difference to me.

Yes, for some people, those triggers are a cause for concern - those are the same people that might have trouble with alcohol, or drugs, or gambling. Destiny doesn't turn us into addicts, though - if we have that tendency and play it, we might have more trouble than other people putting it down, but if we don't have that tendency, Destiny won't INDUCE it.

I'm pretty confused by why this is news to you, actually.

Actually its been proven that some people can become addicted to something without having an addictive personality that would lead them to normal addictions. I believe this game does it on purpose and to a higher degree than anything before it.

And I never said this was news, I actually made it very clear that I said this the DAY the game came out. People told me I was wrong and crazy that day, it's mor that I am showing others they are wrong.

But I do

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 22:33 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Actually its been proven that some people can become addicted to something without having an addictive personality that would lead them to normal addictions. I believe this game does it on purpose and to a higher degree than anything before it.

Ths is where you and I disagree, fundamentally. I don't think that Destiny does ANYTHING to a higher degree than anything before it. (Well, maybe blend FPS and MMO traits more than anything before it... but nothing at ALL on a brain level.)

::shrug:: you're welcome to believe whatever you like - but I'm pretty close to 100% certain you're wrong.

But I do

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, April 03, 2015, 12:39 (3328 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ths is where you and I disagree, fundamentally. I don't think that Destiny does ANYTHING to a higher degree than anything before it. (Well, maybe blend FPS and MMO traits more than anything before it... but nothing at ALL on a brain level.)

::shrug:: you're welcome to believe whatever you like - but I'm pretty close to 100% certain you're wrong.

Let's agree to disagree :) Also I accidentally took my oxycodone instead of IB prufen yesterday. SO that was fun.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:11 (3329 days ago) @ unoudid

I think you have hit the nail on the head when you say "do we really want companies to control us this way"

They have created a game with some very real psychological factors in place. They continually dangle that Gjallahorn in front of your face every raid/nightfall, etc.... to keep you coming back for more. They have all of the daily tasks to do which are still short enough to be able to do every day. the list goes on and on of little things to keep you coming back.

Yes but...

With that said, it's still our choice to keep playing in this manner if we choose to do so.

EXACTLY. You. The individual. YOU MUST BE SMART ENOUGH, to know when to stop! This applies to anything!

When anything crosses that line from "fun" to "I must do this" to the point it interferes with your, friends, family, work, health: YOU have to be the one to stop.

They have not laced the disc with some sort of drug to hook us on this game (which would be illegal). There is no chance to win money by playing more. They simply created a game that keeps people coming back for more.

RIGHT.

That's why America has such a problem with things like nutrition.

Again, Destiny is like a bag of chips. A few by themselves or with other food is ok. A whole bag is not!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 23:50 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

1. Leave the law out of your argument. That's not how monopoly law works. (Not that anyone really knows how it works)
2. You say they are addicting us to take our money. What money? How do they take it? The t shirt I bought from the Bungie store?
3. You don't have a clear understanding of the history of Coca Cola. You should not keep using it as an example as you have.
4. I agree Beer tastes bad and literally dozens of people who have responded to that with some variation of "not if it's the RIGHT KIND of beer! Here, drink this…" have only confirmed my assessment.

So don't buy in. Financially, I mean.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:03 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Bungie has sent a clear message of what their player retention strategy is, that being the proverbial carrot on the stick. It reeks of placing profitability over player enjoyment.

If you're fine with this, by all means keep supporting them. Or, you can do what I did, and promise not to send another cent their way until you see a significant change in direction.

If the last couple of years watching the games industry have taught me anything, it's that nothing will motivate the corporations involved like a swift kick in the wallet.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:16 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

Thats my point, I am trying to show others that they are IN FACT manipulating you. They will not get another penny from me.

There was a question that this wasn't already happening?

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:19 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

No but they are manipulating you to get money. and....

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:21 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

in all other business that is ILLEGAL.

Not really... This is exactly how gambling works.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 01:01 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

Which is why there are laws restricting it in many places

by scarab @, Friday, April 03, 2015, 04:29 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:21 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Thats my point, I am trying to show others that they are IN FACT manipulating you. They will not get another penny from me.

If your bar for deciding where to spend your money is whether or not the company involved is trying to manipulate you... you should go live in the woods and get off the grid entirely.

EVERYONE is trying to manipulate you, to one degree or another.

(But hey - you're welcome to draw your own line in the sand wherever you want. I was just trying to make sure you understood you picked a pretty arbitrary spot.)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:23 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I didn't pick an arbitrary point. It's about HOW they are manipulating you. As I keep sayin in all my replies, try this in any other business. You would be arrested. The difference here is the interaction, that other industries don't have. This is the reason why China and SK have addiction centers for games. Not the game itself, but the parts of your brain the game purposefully hits.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:27 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I didn't pick an arbitrary point. It's about HOW they are manipulating you. As I keep sayin in all my replies, try this in any other business. You would be arrested. The difference here is the interaction, that other industries don't have. This is the reason why China and SK have addiction centers for games. Not the game itself, but the parts of your brain the game purposefully hits.

Those are the same centers lottery tickets hit (even more explicitly than Destiny does). Are those illegal? (Hint: most are run by the government.)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:30 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's not really an apples to apples comparison. The difference is that you are interacting with something. That directly changes your brain way more than the knowledge that a lottery ticket could get you a lot of money. Really doesn't even compare.

Casinos.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:48 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

I have some bad news for you then...

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:05 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I didn't pick an arbitrary point. It's about HOW they are manipulating you. As I keep sayin in all my replies, try this in any other business. You would be arrested.

Look up how advertisers craft commercials geared towards children for toys and cereal.

I'll wait.

Also, look up how retailers spend money to determine the most EFFECTUAL way to place their products to get you to 1.) stay in their stores longer, 2.) Buy crap you didn't even intend to buy in the first place, 3.) Buy MORE than you need of what you did come there to get 4.) how to get you to keep coming back with "sales" and "discounts".

Dude:Every single retailer or person selling something EVER is trying to get you to BUY their shit.

The difference here is the interaction, that other industries don't have. This is the reason why China and SK have addiction centers for games. Not the game itself, but the parts of your brain the game purposefully hits.

Dude, you are so wrong here again, over all. Corporations spend billions on this stuff. Every little thing you do, every purchase you make, where you spend your time: all that shit it tracked, with the intent to learn you habits, and how to tailor advertisements to you.

To convince you to buy things.

To trick you to buy things.

To coerce you to buy things.

To manipulate you to buy things.

To grease the wheel in their favor to get you to buy things.

^^^ All I did there was change the phrasing. It's the same thing.

Look, here are a few examples to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3amazpepc

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=store+product+placement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ITrJ-R_Uw

Remember, fucking Disney world pumps in good smells to get you in a good mood or to make you hungry to BUY MORE SHIT.

Everyone is after your data.

Not necessarily to steal from you, but to understand how to sell to you. To get you to buy.

With Destiny, as it is RIGHT NOW, you are paying with your time.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:10 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Remember, fucking Disney world pumps in good smells to get you in a good mood or to make you hungry to BUY MORE SHIT.

Man, I love Disney World. If Disney charged me $600 to go there for one day, I still might do it.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 23:52 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

Yeah. I wish the smell thing were true' , but except for like 5 seconds on soarin' and another 5 on spaceship earth, I've never smelled any evidence of it.

Spaceship Earth needs a cologne. Would buy that in a second.

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 03, 2015, 02:19 (3329 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:10 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I have already stated that Advertising is not the same. I stopped reading after that.

Your loss. You're getting robbed at every corner anyway.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:23 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:29 (3329 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Dude I understand how advertising and all that stuff works. The difference is I can actively choose to ignore it. The difference is this is NOT advertising. This is after you took in that advertising and are consuming.

Also wasn't Disney sued for pumping in those smells?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:33 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Dude I understand how advertising and all that stuff works. The difference is I can actively choose to ignore it. The difference is this is NOT advertising. This is after you took in that advertising and are consuming.

I think your hard definitions of advertising and consumption might be what's causing you surprise. You've defined 'advertising' as the parts with the brain-gimmicks, but hooking in your audience continues well into the 'consumption' of a product or piece of entertainment. Flash Gordon to classic Doctor Who to Lost (and a billion other serials) constantly ended on cliffhangers to excite you and to entice you to return. Action figures are rolled out in specific sets to try and convince you to collect them all. Video games are sometimes designed to make you keep playing or keep returning to the game. Hell, Pokemon did all of those! Their tag line was even "Gotta catch them all", hah.

And of course, there's also subliminal advertising hidden within the 'consumption'.

[image]

The GIJoe: A Real American Hero cartoon would showcase new vehicles coming out for the toyline just like James Bond features cars, computers, and more in every movie - products with the label able to be seen in the peripheral, products that just happen to come from the movie's licencing partners and investors, etc.

[image]

Advertising, marketing, entertainment... the same approaches and techniques are sometimes applied to each element. The commercial draws you in, then the product makes you want more. The cycle repeats and you're not always aware of it. So if you don't like what Destiny's trying to do to your brain now that it has been pointed out to you by Bungie themselves, you can actively choose to stop playing it. But just think about all the other billions of things in this world affecting your brain and swaying your decisions that you're not aware of... It's hard to always be in control of your brain. Sorry I can't talk more, hungry for pizza and Daniel Craig for some reason.

he is hunky

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, April 03, 2015, 12:40 (3328 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

How can he even read that laptop in that position!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, April 03, 2015, 17:07 (3328 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:48 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:51

EVERYONE is trying to manipulate you, to one degree or another.

There is a difference between manipulating you for your benefit, or for your harm.

If I go to see a film, I would hope the film manipulates my emotions in some way, or else why would I go see it? I want to be excited, scared, or whatever else the film does to me. This manipulation is to enhance the experience.

However, you can manipulate in ways that do harm, such as wasting time, or using psychology to get people to keep playing when there's really no reason to.

The need to resort to that sort of manipulation is a de facto admission you are not confident in your game and its ability to be fun on its own. Period. Yes that sentence was absolute.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:59 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The need to resort to that sort of manipulation is a de facto admission you are not confident in your game and its ability to be fun on its own. Period. Yes that sentence was absolute.

Every piece of advertising - EVERY PIECE - exists to manipulate opinions of those who either have not formed any yet (due to lack of experience with the product) or those who have negative opinions already (in order to reverse them).

Games that use behavioral psychology to keep people playing longer (and Destiny is not by ANY stretch of the imagination alone in this category) do so because keeping people playing longer is generally to the benefit, direct or indirect, of the makers of those games.

It's not about confidence in your product - it's about finding ways to engage people who might otherwise remain unengaged.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:09 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Games that use behavioral psychology to keep people playing longer (and Destiny is not by ANY stretch of the imagination alone in this category) do so because keeping people playing longer is generally to the benefit, direct or indirect, of the makers of those games.

I agree 100%. However it is not to the benefit of the person playing.

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:58 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I agree 100%. However it is not to the benefit of the person playing.

One of the Bungie staff (maybe Jason Jones even) said something to the effect of: they want to provide goals so that in the pursuit of them the player has more fun than they otherwise would have had.

That's the stated intention. The implemention being poor is a different matter.

But I'm pretty sure I've already pointed this out to you...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:14 (3329 days ago) @ RC

One of the Bungie staff (maybe Jason Jones even) said something to the effect of: they want to provide goals so that in the pursuit of them the player has more fun than they otherwise would have had.

That's called making a game with cool challenges. People knew how to do it since about 1984 or so.

BUT I WANT THAT HAWKMOON RUN MORE STRIKES DO MORE RAIDS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:44 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

You've got a problem...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:47 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

* goes home and lies down next to printout of hawkmoon screenshot and strokes it while falling asleep *

On that note...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:50 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I do wonder how long I would have stayed with this game if the Exotics didn't exist.

It would probably be the same, except with raid weapons/gear.

Dammit, Black Hammer/Forth Horseman. I don't even want to use you, but those holes needs to be filled.

As someone who doesn't care about completion %...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:53 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

I do wonder how long I would have stayed with this game if the Exotics didn't exist.

It would probably be the same, except with raid weapons/gear.

Dammit, Black Hammer/Forth Horseman. I don't even want to use you, but those holes needs to be filled.

I just keep coming back because melting people with fusion rifles/nova bombs/gold guns/Fists of Panic/arc blade is pretty.

[image]

On that note...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:54 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to shoot sepkis prime, phogoth, sekrion mind, archon priest, devil walker, atheon, and hive knights infinitely?

I mean, you were there when Cruel and I laid into the templar with ours. :-p

That's the big problem, is that it's not about completion, it's about being able to DO STUFF with the weapons.

On that note...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:03 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean, who wouldn't want to be able to shoot sepkis prime, phogoth, sekrion mind, archon priest, devil walker, atheon, and hive knights infinitely?

I already have a girl like that. She's called Ice Breaker. Maybe you've heard of her. She doesn't care how accurate you are, as long as you're the patient type.

On that note...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:11 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

I already have a girl like that. She's called Ice Breaker. Maybe you've heard of her. She doesn't care how accurate you are, as long as you're the patient type.

You might change your mind when you can suddenly one shot a level 32 knight.

On that note...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:30 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You might change your mind when you can suddenly one shot a level 32 knight.

... AND carry Gjallarhorn at the same time.

It's actually kind of insane lol

What's that, boy?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:48 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't take kindly to people spreading lies 'bout my girl.

[image]

You may want to apologize, lest we have ourselves an... altercation.

Nail meet head

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's the big problem, is that it's not about completion, it's about being able to DO STUFF with the weapons.

Exactly.

On that note...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:29 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Time from 1st shot fired to Templar's death = less than 1 minute

https://destinyraider.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/vault-of-glass-templar-hard-mode-no-teleports.mp4

:D

Welcome to 2001.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:44 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:57

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3085/behavioral_game_design.php

Hopson wrote about psychology of game design and making people continue to play games in 2001 here. This was no mystery to many of us.

For me, though, I don't really play the game to get stuff. I play the game because it is fun, then I get stuff as a bonus! Sometimes I put on Halo or Borderlands (both are games I haven't even completed the story for) and think "Why am I playing these games? They're less fun than Destiny." Then I go play Destiny, if I have time. But do it in moderation.

The beauty of Destiny over a game like Halo is you get a different loadout and a huge selection of guns, since they carry with your character, as opposed to being limited by the map. So, you get to play missions again in a totally different way than you might have before. As multiple classes, you get to double, triple, even sextuple that. By playing again, you even get bonuses like possibly getting new guns to vary your playstyle even more! People give Destiny shit because there's so little to the game, but FFS, there was way less in Halo Reach. They had bounties, but what did they do? You got cosmetic gear. Greaaaaat. In Destiny, the bonuses do stuff! Neat! To top it off the 30 seconds of fun is better than any game I know.

The main thing for me, Chris, is shooting the shit with my friends. I signed up for Banana's lagfest later not because I think I'm going to accomplish something, rank up factions, or do bounties, but because the game is something fun to do while chatting with dudes I know. I have only done hardmode Crota a couple times because the last part isn't fun, but I like to help my buddies so I still sign up occasionally.

I'll buy the expansions and Destiny 2 day 1 because I legitimately like the game, and I like playing with friends.

If you were only playing for loot, you were doing it for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately, Bungie counted on this, so they got a lot of gameplay hours from you.

That being said, how the hell are they supposed to suck money out of you when you paid $60 for a game you got 800 hours out of? Every few months dump some expansions which add a lot of fun and variety to the game for a reasonable price? What's malicious about that? They aren't charging you extra, they aren't screwing you, they are literally just making you like the game more.

tl;drComplaining about this is like complaining that Olive Garden puts extra butter in their unlimited salad and breadsticks so you want to eat more of it at a reasonable price.

o_o

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:47 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

Sometimes I put on Halo or Borderlands (both are games I haven't even completed the story for)

Wut.

MCC and Pre Sequel. Haven't beaten all the missions.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:49 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Gotcha.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:50 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Don't judge me.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:51 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Too late. Judged!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:10 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

[image]

Too late. Judged!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:30 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

I am also behind on Pre-Sequel. It just didn't grab me at all, especially compared to BL2...

Do you have it on 360? Want to play sometime?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:49 (3329 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

PC, sorry. And it really didn't click for me

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:24 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Welcome to 2001.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:14 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

I am not playing for the loot in any way. That for me was also a great addition, did I let it take me over, of course. But I think people are not reading the actual GDC presentation.

That gamasutra article is interesting, i didn't get into them until 2007, so that's really cool to read. I want to read that more, because my whole problem is that my brain matter is being changed... on purpose... so they can get more money.

THINK OF IT LIKE THAT OLD STORY WHERE THE DUDE PLAYS A FLUTE OR SOMETHING AND CHILDREN FOLLOW BECAUSE THE MUSIC AFFECTS THEIR BRAINS. INSTEAD OF KILLING THEM HE IS TAKING THEIR MONEY. That still is not a perfect comparison because I know someone will say about the music touches people but the difference is CHOICE.

The complaints are not the same. As Olive Garden is not charging you to have more.

Of course Olive Garden is charging you more

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:31 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

It's included in the price of the meal...

Welcome to 2001.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:34 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

The complaints are not the same. As Olive Garden is not charging you to have more.

Wait, what? You get to eat at Olive Garden for free?! Does that apply to your friends? Take me with you!

Welcome to 2001.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:00 (3329 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Please read the important part "More". You get soup and salad and bread stick at a set price you don't pay to get another bread stick. So enticing you to eat more of them doesn't directly help them. Indirectly it may, as maybe you have more room for other food that you pay for.

Welcome to 2001.

by Monochron, Friday, April 03, 2015, 15:33 (3328 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

That gamasutra article is interesting, i didn't get into them until 2007, so that's really cool to read. I want to read that more, because my whole problem is that my brain matter is being changed... on purpose... so they can get more money.

I'm not sure that you have a full grasp of how brain matter is being changed here. Advertisers and Bungie aren't hypnotizing you, they are providing you with something that you may feel that you have a "need" for. They aren't implanting secretive thoughts in your brain or drugging you, they are trying to convince you that you want what they are selling. This has been how business has worked since people started selling things to each other.

Your analogy of putting cocaine in Coke is a bit off because Bungie (and advertisers) aren't adding foreign chemicals to your body. They are giving you something that they hope will induce your body to produce lots of different chemicals (endorphines, varying degrees of aggression causing and frustration causing chemicals, etc.) in hopes that you, as a consumer, will want to continue that experience.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I honestly thought this was a troll post at first. Maybe just take a step back and look at everyone's reactions to your post. The majority isn't always right, but it may indicate that you may have a skewed vision of this situation.

Welcome to 2001.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, April 03, 2015, 16:36 (3328 days ago) @ Monochron

It's an opinion, doesn't have to be right.

And I know full well how brain matter works and gets changed, I got to do some of it college. It's why I have worries about how strong you can actually do this stuff. I think I have said enough I don't need to get into my points again as to why the cola stuff actually is relevant.

To be fair, many of us are Bingle superfans.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 05:38 (3328 days ago) @ Monochron

When I was a kid, I was aware of Bungie, and liked their games. I still was critical and able to make complaints up to Oni. Halo came out though and I lost all credibility as a consumer able to really criticize Bungie. I thought Reach's story retcons were crap, but deep down I am pretty sure I think Bungie can do no wrong. Many of us may not want to admit it, but are the same way.

So, a lot of us arguing against Chris doesn't necessarily mean much (though Claude has logically and laconically excelled in these types of disagreements without needing to dip into his Bungie fandom reserves) coming from an already biased crowd. :P

To be fair, many of us are Bingle superfans.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 19:40 (3327 days ago) @ Funkmon

When I was a kid, I was aware of Bungie, and liked their games. I still was critical and able to make complaints up to Oni. Halo came out though and I lost all credibility as a consumer able to really criticize Bungie. I thought Reach's story retcons were crap, but deep down I am pretty sure I think Bungie can do no wrong. Many of us may not want to admit it, but are the same way.

So, a lot of us arguing against Chris doesn't necessarily mean much (though Claude has logically and laconically excelled in these types of disagreements without needing to dip into his Bungie fandom reserves) coming from an already biased crowd. :P

There's a difference between having a bias and letting a bias interfere with honest, rational debate. Is it possible that someone is letting their pro-Bungie bias get in the way? Sure. But I'd rather you point out specific people or arguments than blanket a whole group because of the site they are posting on.

Knew it, Destiny is using technics to ADDICT us

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:55 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Does this change their mantra from "designing games we want to play" to "designing games we find addictive to play?"

Instead of asking people whether their game is adequately rewarding, why not just ask them if it's inherently fun? Those story missions could have used a lot more fun.

by musicalwahine808, Hawaii, Friday, April 03, 2015, 10:03 (3329 days ago) @ Kalamari

Haha! Good one :)

The game really wouldn't work without a large population.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:05 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:29

I think this is more important for Destiny than any other game I've played, and ultimately I think it's the reason the game is built with so many hooks. They don't charge monthly for the same reason; a monthly fee would turn off more people (you can bet they did a cost benefit analysis of the number of people they would lose for monthly versus the amount of money monthly subscription would make).

If Destiny didn't have people populating it, it just wouldn't work fundamentally. You need to play with teammates to complete most of the high level content. You need people playing to make competitively balanced multiplayer viable. Without a large population Destiny would disintegrate.

by musicalwahine808, Hawaii, Friday, April 03, 2015, 09:40 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

They obviously failed with their taking over the world + addiction goal with a segment of the gamer population... Maybe our brains are wired differently.

"Using his expertise in Behavioral Psychology, Hopson played a role in helping the team create something that would provide players with satisfying rewards after taking so many risks." I don't see it as risk, but rather frustration to see bullet sponges bosses and overwhelming amounts of enemy to make it "harder". I see risk as trying to run through sniper alley while tacking out all the Jackals in one sweep. No hiding behind a rock, the enemy will come and get you. In Destiny, if you have the time, that technique might work eventually.

I ran Destiny through Gizoozle.net for laughs & giggles and it translated exactly into how I feel about the game.[image]

I play to escape and relax into a world I enjoy and have zero interest in collecting all the bum flaps and weapons in the game. I thought the progression was rewarding until 20+ but lost interest after that.
Is there a right way to play Destiny? Maybe? When I occasionally play it is for the beauty of the environment, the music and rewarding headshots but end up spending more time just observing all the wonderful details the artists of Bungie placed in this game listening to Marty's tunes. (artist here)

I grind at work everyday so I want to play a game that takes me away from worries, stress and daily routine. The carrot in Destiny is not attractive to me at all. The missions I've played all seem very similar (Hint, heard myself wondering many times "Did I play this one already?") I will play Halo or ME missions in a heart beat, because there is a connection between my head shots, a story, characters to relate to. Clearly Destiny does not deliver to lone wolves. It's friends or die of boredom. You can't even play the end game if you do not have a solid group to do it.

So about the addiction, I'd recommend to stop playing if it feels like a chore or a burden. Just like great advertising can convince people to buy a new iPhone every six months, you can decide if it's pointless or not. Guess I lack an addictive or hoarding personality and lucked out! XD

TLTR: Addictive for some, not for me, game lacks storytelling skills, carrot not appetizing enough to keep grinding

Spoiler: Destiny needs to hire more writers and less psychologists...
I'm happy for Bungie and what seems to be a majority of the players enjoying the game but in my opinion the potential to make this game epic was missed, although all the elements were there, including the talents, to make it happen.

Technics = mediocre brand. You can do better, Bungie!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, April 03, 2015, 11:31 (3328 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

- No text -

Beaten to the punchline...

by Quirel, Friday, April 03, 2015, 15:26 (3328 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Hey, what can you say? Technics are addicting.

by Quirel, Friday, April 03, 2015, 15:22 (3328 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

What's up with all the Technics weaksauce?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 03, 2015, 16:02 (3328 days ago) @ Quirel

Back in my day, they were beasts. To this day I am extremely proud to have the Ducati bike and the Ferrari F1 car on display in my room, yet I'd be ashamed to have most of those listed in the link...

Sample bias with a smidge of nostalgia.

by Quirel, Friday, April 03, 2015, 16:41 (3328 days ago) @ ZackDark

Back in my day, they were beasts. To this day I am extremely proud to have the Ducati bike and the Ferrari F1 car on display in my room, yet I'd be ashamed to have most of those listed in the link...

Lego Technics are all over the map in terms of quality. If you look here, you'll see that design quality correlates strongly with price, rather than year. And I think you're selling some of the modern sets short, like this one, this one, and this one.

Dat crane

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 03, 2015, 16:52 (3328 days ago) @ Quirel

Lego Technics are all over the map in terms of quality. If you look here, you'll see that design quality correlates strongly with price, rather than year. And I think you're selling some of the modern sets short, like this one, this one, and this one.

I did say "most". ;)

(EDIT: This is still unbeatable, though)

What's up with all the Technics weaksauce? Img

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 23:50 (3327 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Vortech, Sunday, April 05, 2015, 00:36

I have a mid-engine sports car with 4 wheel steering and a working 4 speed gearbox all wheel drive and a working suspension. That's what a technics should be. (It's really hard to dust, though)

Edit: I took a picture because I like it. Vroom vroom.

[image]

This post is the best post ^^^

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, April 05, 2015, 00:42 (3327 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Yes.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 05, 2015, 01:28 (3327 days ago) @ Vortech

IT CAN EVEN DRIVE ON CEILINGS!!!!!1!!!!eleven!!

;p

But yeah, that's what I mean. Technics should be all about the mechanisms.

What's up with all the Technics weaksauce? Img

by Quirel, Sunday, April 05, 2015, 03:40 (3327 days ago) @ Vortech

I have a mid-engine sports car with 4 wheel steering and a working 4 speed gearbox all wheel drive and a working suspension. That's what a technics should be.

Agreed, though I'm glad they phased out studded bricks in the Technic lines.

I guess the real problem is that Lego can't make a living selling nothing but $75+ kits, so we see a lot of simple and/or mediocre sets produced because they're cheap and sell well.

: (It's really hard to dust, though)

If you can't get it with compressed air, it ain't worth getting.

I've never even heard of that Technics.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 05, 2015, 11:04 (3326 days ago) @ Vortech

This is what I was referring to.

by Fuertisimo, Friday, April 03, 2015, 23:33 (3328 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yawn, called this way back at release. Fact is some people just don't care that they're being manipulated. There's a lot more I could say on the subject but I'm not going to. Have to follow your own compass on whether this is ok I suppose, but its not for me.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread