Are Fatebringer's days numbered? (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:53 (3329 days ago)

Not just Fatebringer... but with House of Wolves on the horizon, are we finally approaching the day when our level 300 weapons just won't cut it anymore?

If so, what 300 weapons will you miss using the most? Fatebringer is certainly the one I'll have the toughest time parting with... it will be a sad day when it stops being the force of nature it currently is.

On that note, do you think you might end up deleting any of your current weapons? Does this change your view on vault space at all?

Found Verdict will always live on in the Crucible.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:55 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But it will be a sad day when my Mythoclast gets replaced. :(

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:58 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

But it will be a sad day when my Mythoclast gets replaced. :(

I'm already at the point where I've halfway said goodbye to Mythoclast. I have 3 of them, but never finished upgrading my 2nd and 3rd since it kept getting nerfed. As it stands now, I never use it except to complete fusion rifle bounties. I'll probably delete my duplicates. :(

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:19 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I didn't get it till after this last nerf. It's very meh... now.

Heroes never die...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 19:56 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They're just missing in action.

Seriously, though,

Fatebringer will never NOT be the best weapon.

Heroes never die...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:06 (3329 days ago) @ CyberKN

They're just missing in action.

Seriously, though,

Fatebringer will never NOT be the best weapon.

I wonder if any of the HoW weapons will step in as a common favorite? The Crota's End primaries are largely underwhelming, but maybe the new raid will deliver a new super-gun. I've got 2 gheleon's demise scout rifles, both with Outlaw, Hammer Forged, and Firefly. I've gotta say, if they had elemental damage, they just might knock Fatebringer out of the top slot for me. As they are they're way better than my Fang of Ir Yut. If we get a raid weapon anything like that, it would be a force to be reckoned with :)

On the other hand, I kind of hope we get an insanely good Auto Rifle or Pulse Rifle, just to mix things up a bit.

Heroes never die...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:21 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wonder if any of the HoW weapons will step in as a common favorite? The Crota's End primaries are largely underwhelming

I dunno - I don't have a lot of the CE weapons, but Swordbreaker seems better than pretty much any other shotgun I have (Found Verdict MIGHT be the exception).

Heroes never die...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:24 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I wonder if any of the HoW weapons will step in as a common favorite? The Crota's End primaries are largely underwhelming

I dunno - I don't have a lot of the CE weapons, but Swordbreaker seems better than pretty much any other shotgun I have (Found Verdict MIGHT be the exception).

Sorry, I was referring specifically to primary weapons. The CE special weapons are fantastic across the board. Swordbreaker is a beast, Light of the Abyss is a great fusion rifle, and Black Hammer is so powerful it's borderline game-breaking (in the best possible way ;p)

Heroes never die...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:27 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sorry, I was referring specifically to primary weapons. The CE special weapons are fantastic across the board. Swordbreaker is a beast, Light of the Abyss is a great fusion rifle, and Black Hammer is so powerful it's borderline game-breaking (in the best possible way ;p)

Ah. I don't have any of the primaries, so I can't really comment. (I've only run CE 3 times, and I've only had 3 non-Shard/non-Energy drops, across all chests/checkpoints - two chestpieces and Swordbreaker.)

Raid drops don't like me very much. ;)

Heroes never die...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:32 (3329 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah. I don't have any of the primaries, so I can't really comment. (I've only run CE 3 times, and I've only had 3 non-Shard/non-Energy drops, across all chests/checkpoints - two chestpieces and Swordbreaker.)

Raid drops don't like me very much. ;)

The primaries only drop on hard mode... Aside from having weapons with elemental damage to help with nightfalls, you're really not missing much. Fang of Ir Yut is a great Scout Rifle, but I don't think it's any better than Badger CCL or Ghelion's Demise. You actually get better drops from normal mode.

Are Fatebringer's days numbered?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:01 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not just Fatebringer... but with House of Wolves on the horizon, are we finally approaching the day when our level 300 weapons just won't cut it anymore?

If so, what 300 weapons will you miss using the most? Fatebringer is certainly the one I'll have the toughest time parting with... it will be a sad day when it stops being the force of nature it currently is.

On that note, do you think you might end up deleting any of your current weapons? Does this change your view on vault space at all?

Maybe maybe not.

When you step up an archetype, you end up doing about 200 more damage to regular enemies. For 331 attack, it's 1500 / 1700 / 1900 approximately.

When you step from 27x to 300 to 331, the jump is about the same.

Right now fatebringer does about as much damage as a low impact 331 hand cannon, so in House of Wolves it will deal about 400 less damage than a new medium impact legendary.

So this is only a problem if you are fighting an enemy whose HP falls in that magic range of between 1500 and 1900 HP. If it's under, it'll still die in one shot. You'll probably be able to one shot thralls still. If it's over, then it will take 2 shots with whatever hand cannon you use. Also remember you get damage buffs on certain enemies using explosive rounds.

Right now, you can pretty much use any hand cannon on Cabal, since at higher levels nothing can one shot them. Except maybe a triple stacked hawkmoon. This is also why I tend to use Scout Rifles vs the Cabal, since the instakill advantage of the hand cannon is gone.

The firefly perk and arc damage will be very good.

Go do an activity with a Word of Crota that is not fully leveled. That will simulate Fatebringer on House of Wolves enemies. Then just remember fatebringer will be better.

You get a lot of milage with hand cannons in PvE.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:09 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Go do an activity with a Word of Crota that is not fully leveled. That will simulate Fatebringer on House of Wolves enemies.

Wish I could... I can't get the damn thing to drop ;p

Your point stands, though. Against tier 1 enemies, it'll probably still do quite well. What worries me is taking Fatebringer up against tougher enemies, like a level 34 hollowed Knight. It might prove to be too weak to be viable. I hope not.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:15 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Go do an activity with a Word of Crota that is not fully leveled. That will simulate Fatebringer on House of Wolves enemies.

Your point stands, though. Against tier 1 enemies, it'll probably still do quite well. What worries me is taking Fatebringer up against tougher enemies, like a level 34 hollowed Knight. It might prove to be too weak to be viable. I hope not.

To be fair, don't people generally use their specials or heavies against hallowed enemies? Hand cannons in general are pretty ineffective on tough stuff.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:18 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To be fair, don't people generally use their specials or heavies against hallowed enemies? Hand cannons in general are pretty ineffective on tough stuff.

Often, yes. Depends on the situation really. Primaries that have explosive rounds can be helpful against hallowed enemies because they'll at least stagger them. Even if it takes a while to kill, they're great for crowd control (I mean that literally, not the perk ;p).

Word of crota is the new VoC!

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 00:49 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:02 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I am still hoping they increase the damage at least somewhat to stop them from being useless.

However, I find the 300 has no problem dealing with enemies, so maybe the curve is not as great as you think?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:15 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I am still hoping they increase the damage at least somewhat to stop them from being useless.

However, I find the 300 has no problem dealing with enemies, so maybe the curve is not as great as you think?

300 weapons are fine against level 30 enemies... but against 32s some of them begin to feel underpowered. I suspect level 34 enemies will render most of our 300 weapons useless. But I could be wrong. I hope I am :)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:15 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I guess i don't feel that. I feel like it just takes 1-2 more shots not much more.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:19 (3329 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I guess i don't feel that. I feel like it just takes 1-2 more shots not much more.

When you're fighting 15 enemies at a time, an extra 1-2 shots per enemy is a big difference :)

On most activities, it won't be any different. I'm talking mostly about top level stuff.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:25 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's a good point. I guess it would quickly become a patrol gun then, which we don't want.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:03 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was just thinking this very thing earlier today.

I'll miss pretty much all of my VoG Weapons:
Fatebringer
Vision of Confluence
Praedyth's Revenge
Corrective Measure

Plus these:
The Devil You Know (although Fatebringer already replaced this for me)
The Swarm

And that's about it.

As for clearing out my vault space? Not really, it's full of exotics, a Khostov & Stranger's Rifle, & Legendaries that I think might be good (some just for PVP), but I haven't gotten around to using. I really need to figure out what perks I enjoy on what weapons so I can junk some of these.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:05 (3329 days ago) @ dogcow

Plus these:

The Devil you know will never be replaced in Crucible! I got a rare called Heaven can Wait, and with send it, it's basically the same stats. Except Devil you know has an extra perk, so why NOT use it?

The only way it's getting replaced is if I get a Polite Denial with send it and rangefinder (or outlaw). Timur's lash has to few bullets for my liking without filed scout.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:07 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Plus these:

The Devil you know will never be replaced in Crucible! I got a rare called Heaven can Wait, and with send it, it's basically the same stats. Except Devil you know has an extra perk, so why NOT use it?

I will likely hold onto The Devil You Know if only because it has a special place in my heart. It & Fatebringer will sit alongside that Khostov & Stranger's Rivle.

About the Stranger's Rifle...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:14 (3329 days ago) @ dogcow

About the Stranger's Rifle... I deleted mine, and I can't seem to get another one. I completed the campaign with my Titan, but never got the final cutscene. Is there no way to ever get another one, even with a new character?

Same thing happened to me.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

About the Stranger's Rifle... I deleted mine, and I can't seem to get another one. I completed the campaign with my Titan, but never got the final cutscene. Is there no way to ever get another one, even with a new character?

Play it again solo and don't skip the cutscene. Should be given after the cutscene ends.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:20 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Play it again solo and don't skip the cutscene. Should be given after the cutscene ends.

Not sure I understand... play the final mission again? And what do you mean "don't skip the cutscene"? I thought you couldn't skip any cutscenes, even if you wanted to?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:22 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not sure I understand... play the final mission again? And what do you mean "don't skip the cutscene"? I thought you couldn't skip any cutscenes, even if you wanted to?

Yeah, replay black garden and don't jump to orbit after it's over. I jumped to orbit with the last character I made before the countdown; I think it isn't awarded until you actually complete the cutscene.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:25 (3329 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah, replay black garden and don't jump to orbit after it's over. I jumped to orbit with the last character I made before the countdown; I think it isn't awarded until you actually complete the cutscene.

Gotcha. Thanks!

Wish I could at least get one...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:06 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ bluerunner

I know the feeling... it took me an obscene number of VoG hard mode runs... then I got 3 within a couple weeks lol

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 21:25 (3329 days ago) @ bluerunner

Don't worry, I'll get us one Friday.

Well you got me one.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 05:38 (3327 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:16 (3329 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, April 02, 2015, 20:38

I like the way they set up the weapons, overall. It means that in the Crucible (outside of Iron Banner), on patrols, in story missions (as long as you're not on the highest levels), and in lower-level strikes, you can pretty much use whatever you want, and there are rare, uncommon, and occasionally even common (white-grade) weapons that outperform legendary and exotic weapons in those cases. I have this white-grade sniper, Candace-B, that I picked up a while back with really high impact that's pretty nice in the Crucible-- or it would be if I was much of a sniper; I have a green-grade shotgun with the extended slide perk I've been playing around with; I have another green-grade shotgun with "Shot Package" (two now actually) that I'd still be using if I hadn't had the good fortune to get a rare one with the same perk; I have a bunch of blue-grade weapons that I still use... so yeah, good weapons should continue to be good weapons, just their range of usefulness will be a little smaller.
The new raid weapons will be better against high-level enemies of course. Your current weapons will seem like toys by comparison when you get a Hookmoon, The Sturgeon's Rifle, or Fate of All Flounders.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread