A letter from my 6 year old (Destiny)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 00:54 (3329 days ago)
edited by slycrel, Friday, April 03, 2015, 00:57

My boy was reading the forums with me and wanted to post really bad. :D

"Okay... well, I want it to say, um, I -- I want it to say that I, not you... okay... I want it to say my 6 year old boy Matthias, if he ... if you see him, you will see that he is level 29 and that he um, that he got there by hisself."

Edit: He really wants you all to know that his account name is TheStoneArmy. You are forewarned. heh.

He got there by himself?!

by Funkmon @, Friday, April 03, 2015, 02:21 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

Jesus. When I was 6 I couldn't even beat World 7 of Super Mario Brothers. Tell him good job!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, April 03, 2015, 04:52 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

Jesus. When I was 6 I couldn't even beat World 7 of Super Mario Brothers. Tell him good job!

I didn't beat Battletoads until I was 20.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, April 03, 2015, 04:59 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I still haven't beat battle toads. Can't get past that level where the giant orb chases you around while riding.... Powered unicycles, or whatever they are. Maybe I should war post that level.

Battletoads is in a whole different league

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, April 03, 2015, 12:49 (3329 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That speeder level... I still have nightmares about it.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 05:51 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

You don't even want to know how many times he ran sepkis prime lvl 8. :)

He spent his first 13 strange coins that he earned over ~3 months on an exotic armor piece about a month ago. He's had a strike or three's worth of help here and there from dad, along with some bounties to help him get his rep up.... but yeah, pretty much on his own. For a 6 year old, he's a machine. When he doesn't get bored and head to orbit in the middle of something. :D

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, April 03, 2015, 18:01 (3329 days ago) @ Funkmon

I remember I was 6 when I beat my first game. It was the original Metroid on NES, took me months to explore the whole thing, drawing a map along the way. That was a great experience.

I am in awe...

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 23:42 (3328 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

...I loved Metroid! I was 11? when I played the original. That is a serious accomplishment, having beaten it when you were 6. =)

I am in awe...

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 02:31 (3328 days ago) @ slycrel

...I loved Metroid!

I know right!?! It's still one of my favourite games. I remember it was no simple task beating it. But my parents had me gaming at 4 years old, and I'd logged hundreds of hours in Marios 1,2, and 3 by that point (as well as the somewhat lesser known Mario Bros). And even then, it took me forever to finish it. Lots of patience was learned with Metroid, heh.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 00:06 (3328 days ago) @ Funkmon

Reminds me of a story that I shared recently of one of my favorite moments in gaming...

I was six years old, playing the Lion King game for the SNES. It was a tough game that threw all kinds of twists and turns every level, but I loved it.

Anyway, I can't remember if you couldn't save, or if I was just too young to understand Save systems, but it was one of those times where Game Over meant Game Over, and no matter what I would do, I could never beat Scar during the final boss battle. Whenever he pounced and got me on my back, I didn't know how to get him off, so he'd just slash away at my health, and that would be it for me. Start over from Level 1.

That was frustrating, until one day I got to him with plenty of extra lives, and carefully focused on avoiding his pounce. But I couldn't; eventually he'd always land it.

Extra Lives: 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2.

I finally figured out (through desperate button mashing) that if you hit left on the D-pad and attacked (IIRC), you could actually toss him off, and then counter with a grapple that would launch him away from you and buy you some time, which was a game changer, but I still couldn't beat him for some reason. Extra Lives: 1

Still struggling. I couldn't beat him. I had no idea what I was supposed to do, but no matter how many times I slashed at him and tossed him off of me, he'd still come after me and chip away at my health. I couldn't figure it out. Extra Lives: 0

Final chance, and I was hopeless. I'd slash, and back up whenever he was going to attack. What do I do!? I thought. I was running out of space, getting pushed closer and closer to the cliff on the left as my health drained. And then I ran out of space as he successfully pounced on me.

Noooo! I thought, mashing desperately to get him off. And then... I managed to kick him off, grapple him, and send him flying... Over the cliff... That was it. That's what I was supposed to do...

Simba stood up, walked to the edge of the cliff, and roared victoriously.

I can't describe what I felt, but it's stuck with me as my greatest victory in gaming. Zero saves, zero lives left, and zero help. 20 years later, and I can still remember it vividly.

A letter from my 6 year old

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, April 03, 2015, 05:03 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

"Okay... well, I want it to say, um, I -- I want it to say that I, not you... okay... I want it to say my 6 year old boy Matthias, if he ... if you see him, you will see that he is level 29 and that he um, that he got there by hisself."

Edit: He really wants you all to know that his account name is TheStoneArmy. You are forewarned. heh.

Awesome! I'm not sure when I will let my 6yo play destiny. He would love to and I would love to play with him, maybe in a couple of years. I want to take him through all the consoles in order. He's played some Atari, plus Kinect & Lego Star Wars, NES is next on the list.

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, April 03, 2015, 05:54 (3329 days ago) @ dogcow

I play enough destiny, and he loved to watch when it came out... Last November I broke down and made him a PSN account so he could play. between destiny and some kids web game my girls loved (mooshi monsters? one of those like that), they all got a lesson on skinner boxes and how they work last December. Much more moderation has ensued for all games. Uh, except minecraft. =)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, April 03, 2015, 10:46 (3329 days ago) @ dogcow

Lil' Blue has played through all the Halo games in order with me. We started that when he was 5. He's 8 now and regularly plays Destiny with me. He's still level 30 because he just likes to play in short bursts unlike my marathon sessions. Still, he can hold his own in nightfall and raids. Team Fortress is his thing. He'd play that all day if I let him.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, April 03, 2015, 13:16 (3329 days ago) @ bluerunner

Team Fortress... I never really got hooked on it like I got hooked on Team Fortress Classic. Oh my, I can't even imagine how many hours I spent playing TFC.

by musicalwahine808, Hawaii, Friday, April 03, 2015, 08:08 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

"that he um, that he got there by hisself" Awww[image]

Impressive, MOST impressive.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Friday, April 03, 2015, 17:59 (3329 days ago) @ slycrel

[image]

by Oholiab @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 05:11 (3328 days ago) @ slycrel

That's fantastic! My 6-year-old was the first in our household to hit level 31, beating out me and his two older siblings! He was quite proud of himself, and I was impressed. His older brother? Not so much.

What system are you on? They'd make a great team!

too awesome :D

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 17:06 (3328 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread