Hunt the Truth (Off-Topic)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, April 03, 2015, 17:24 (3316 days ago)

I'm sure a lot of us are not that excited about Halo 5 coming out. But dang it.... the Hunt the Truth ARG has me pumped for Halo 5.

As much as I love the game play of Destiny and its addictive mechanics, I just wish they had a deep story that I could get excited about.

Just the mention of this ARG has drawn back in to the Halo story.

Hunt the Truth

Hunt the Truth

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, April 03, 2015, 17:46 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

Yeah, it feels like a lot was cut out or cut down in Destiny for whatever reason. They could've had more planets and areas for us to visit and they could've had more multiplayer options, but more relevant to this, Alpha Lupi doesn't seem like it went anywhere, and the Grimoire could've been done better, or its information could've actually been part of the game.
Hunt the Truth has me interested, but I'm too jaded to be excited about it, and I realize so far I'm just interested because of the mystery and the hinting at lies, not because they're actually doing anything interesting, if that makes sense. I'm not so much interested in the story they're giving or hinting at as the question of what the story will be and who's telling what lies to who.
Bring on Beta Lupi, please, preferably longer and with more content and interaction.

Hunt the Truth

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, April 03, 2015, 18:24 (3316 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The main reason it gave me butterflies is because of the fact that there is such a rich history in the Halo-verse that I can draw from. Digging through old terminals, renderings, etc.... just reminds me of how much I love the added parts to Halo. I just wish Destiny did the same thing for me. I still love Destiny, but I never get the butterflies in my stomach when thinking about it.

Alpha Lupi was definitely neat but indeed it didn't seem to really go anywhere.

The Halo 4 ARG was really exciting and I remember diving as deep into it as I could (I'm not a cryptographer by any means).

I just really hope that the story/lore expands greatly in Destiny in the future. The game play is amazing but I need a real story to hook me long term.

Hunt the Truth

by Avateur @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 01:09 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

To my knowledge, there wasn't a Halo 4 ARG. Kinda interested to see what one there was in case I missed something. And from what I've been told, this one for H5 isn't really an ARG either. All viral marketing hype at this point, and after H4 and MCC, blah. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on me again. Not gonna happen three times. Nope.

As for Destiny, totally agree on the story being a failure (though you didn't put it in those words). Luckily the game is playable and really enjoyable with friends, problems and all. I'm hoping House of Wolves does something special, but considering Crota, I don't think it will.

I'm holding out hope that Destiny 2 will be what Destiny should have been. Kill off the last generation consoles, pump everything into the future, and bust out some huge and awesome story.

Halo 4 ARG

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 01:25 (3316 days ago) @ Avateur

Halo 4 ARG

by Avateur @, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 01:41 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

Ohhh that thing. I remember that now. Thanks!

OM NOM NOM

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Friday, April 03, 2015, 18:42 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

This sort of stuff is my bread and butter. You better believe that I'm devouring it.

The Halo series has always gotten superb stuff in the tiny things for its ARGs and ads. It's the little things that I see the most, and that peek out the hardest. The Believe campaign and ilovebees are two standards that I point people towards when they should know good acting and directing.

If you're going for "this universe exists" then you should have people talking over each other, and you should have people stuttering over their words a bit. (Listen to the latest audio log, and the older gentleman does this wonderfully.) People don't speak cleanly like in TV and movies. If you can find the right balance, then it highlights everything and makes it pop.

When I was a kid, my friends and I used to make cassette tapes of interviews and stuff. We were inspired by War of the Worlds, you know? But no matter how good people told me they were, something always felt horribly off about them. One day, I was watching a biography and somebody both stammered and struggled for a word. It made just a one-minute clip really stand out for me, and that's when I understood exactly how much that meant towards giving something gravity.

Think about how many films have something that might be considered a flaw in other movies, but in that one it somehow makes the movie better. That's what these bring to the forefront -- the carefully scripted flaws that make it stand out and truly seem amazing.

Hunt the Truth

by musicalwahine808, Hawaii, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 01:41 (3316 days ago) @ unoudid

"I'm sure a lot of us are not that excited about Halo 5 coming out."

I am, but cautiously excited. Don't really want to follow the hype or adverts, just want to get the game when it comes out knowing zilch about it and be happily surprised lol.
Destiny was a dream crusher for me. Hoping 343 as many talented writers vs. many psychologists on hand ;)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread