My new favorite gun (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 12:21 (3310 days ago)

I scored a B-Line Trauma from a random drop a couple weeks ago. I'm a fan of Scout Rifles, but I tend to prefer the slower firing/hard hitting archetype (I have 2 Gheleon's Demise with firefly, which is just perfect for me). Looking at my new B-Line, I was about to scrap it. But I decided to hang on to it; it has a high rate of fire, great stability, quick reloads, and 3rd eye. I figured it might make a good PvP weapon, if nothing else.

Then, yesterday I realized it also has Explosive Rounds. Ooooooooh baby!

This thing is an absolute beast. Cody often makes a great point about hand cannons: one of the reasons they are so good is that you can break from cover, kill an enemy in 1 or 2 pulls of the trigger, then get back to cover. ARs or PRS require you to remain in the open, exposed to incoming fire, because you need to land continued sustained hits on a target to kill them. Hand Cannons are slower to fire and reload, but they reduce incoming fire way more efficiently.

This B-Line achieves the same thing, but in the opposite way. With the high RoF and Explosive Rounds, you can lay down a wall of suppressive fire that staggers every enemy you hit. I can just pan my crosshair along a group of enemies, and in under 1 second I've stopped them all from shooting at me. If anything is still standing after my first sweep across, I pan back, firing the whole time.

Long story short, high RoF Scout Rifle with Explosive Rounds is a fantastic combination. Makes me wish there was an Auto Rifle with similar properties :D

Oh, and I just noticed that the ANitC that's been sitting unused in my vault for a month has Rodeo, Explosive Rounds, AND Firefly. Can't wait to try that one out ;)

My new favorite gun

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, April 06, 2015, 12:44 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

ANitC that's been sitting unused in my vault for a month has Rodeo, Explosive Rounds, AND Firefly

Holy shit, that is my fantasy roll on any scout rifle. I've been using a 300 dmg "The Calling" since the early days of Destiny on my main character because it has both explosive rounds and firefly. The very first version of this weapon that dropped for me had Outlaw and I would give anything to combine those two, especially if it was on a 331 dmg weapon like ANitC!

My new favorite gun

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 12:53 (3310 days ago) @ JDQuackers

ANitC that's been sitting unused in my vault for a month has Rodeo, Explosive Rounds, AND Firefly

Holy shit, that is my fantasy roll on any scout rifle. I've been using a 300 dmg "The Calling" since the early days of Destiny on my main character because it has both explosive rounds and firefly. The very first version of this weapon that dropped for me had Outlaw and I would give anything to combine those two, especially if it was on a 331 dmg weapon like ANitC!

Yeah I'm kicking myself for not noticing it earlier. I've been short on Ascendant Energy for a while, so I've been focusing on upgrading all my exotics. The couple Legendary weapons I haven't upgraded have just been sitting unused and forgotten about. I was doing some "housekeeping" over the past couple days which led to be rediscovering the B-Line and ANitC. Between these 2, my pair of 331 Ghelion's Demise and my Fang of Ir Yut I'm feeling pretty spoiled for great Scout Rifles :)

My new favorite gun

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 06, 2015, 13:35 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've got a SR with Explosive/Firefly, and I find that Explosive Rounds get in the way of Firefly triggering. I've switched Explosive off, and find I can trigger Firefly much more consistently. Sorta dulls the buzz. Anyone else confirm?

My new favorite gun

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 13:42 (3310 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I've got a SR with Explosive/Firefly, and I find that Explosive Rounds get in the way of Firefly triggering. I've switched Explosive off, and find I can trigger Firefly much more consistently. Sorta dulls the buzz. Anyone else confirm?

That's what I've experienced with Fatebringer... explosive rounds does sometimes interfere with firefly. I still find the explosive rounds worthwhile because they stagger and do splash damage, and in some cases the extra damage they deliver is significant. Firefly still triggers often enough, in my experience.

Think this has been fixed

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, April 06, 2015, 13:49 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Pretty sure this was a bug they fixed but didn't mention when it was updated.

Basically as Funk mentioned somewhere else, the total damage is not increased, as the explosions just add back up to a normal head shot. But if that enemy died from the last bit of that headshot then the explosion would kill them. If the headshot is what kills them it gets triggered (but now the Headshot does less Critical damage). What the error was before, is I noticed if I still had to shoot someone a second time and they had little health, Firefly would not happen on the second shot even though it was a headshot. My belief is that they calculated the explosion damage BEFORE the Headshot/Critical damage, so that way they didn't Firefly if it was on a second shot. I believe they fixed that now, as I have seen it happen a lot more consistently on my second shots.

Of course other items could be that they didn't count the Crit as Crit damage, or I am just crazy. Crazy is possible.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:03 (3310 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Basically as Funk mentioned somewhere else, the total damage is not increased, as the explosions just add back up to a normal head shot.

I have no idea if this is unique to Fatebringer, but a crit hit from fatebringer with explosive rounds does more damage to Vex than a crit without explosive rounds. Just against Vex though. We discovered this a while back when Cody said Hawkmoon was the only hand cannon that could kill a level 30 goblin with 1 shot. Speedracer said "No, I do it with fatebringer all the time". A bunch of us tried it, and none of us could do it until we realized Speedracer had explosive rounds activated. We all did the same, and sure enough we were all suddenly able to 1-shot the level 30 goblins.

No idea if this little hidden perk is inherent to all weapons with explosive rounds, though. Might just be Fatebringer.

True: vex and shielded enemies get more damage from X rounds

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:32 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 06, 2015, 22:28 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No idea if this little hidden perk is inherent to all weapons with explosive rounds, though. Might just be Fatebringer.

Anything with explosive rounds does more damage overall to Vex and Cabal. Vex a lot more, Cabal a little more.

My new favorite gun

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, April 06, 2015, 13:55 (3310 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yup, if the enemy dies from the base damage of the shot, firefly will trigger (so low level mobs during patrol are usually full of explosions). If the enemy dies from the additional damage of the explosive round, then it doesn't trigger. Usually I keep explosive rounds on unless I'm going into a high level activity, and then I'll switch to either +2 agility or the armor piercing rounds

My new favorite gun

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:06 (3310 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Yup, if the enemy dies from the base damage of the shot, firefly will trigger (so low level mobs during patrol are usually full of explosions). If the enemy dies from the additional damage of the explosive round, then it doesn't trigger. Usually I keep explosive rounds on unless I'm going into a high level activity, and then I'll switch to either +2 agility or the armor piercing rounds

I still like to keep explosive rounds activated against high level enemies because of the small amount of splash damage they do. It might take me a couple more shots to down each enemy, but I can keep them all reeling in the meantime.

My new favorite gun

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, April 06, 2015, 15:29 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I still like to keep explosive rounds activated against high level enemies because of the small amount of splash damage they do. It might take me a couple more shots to down each enemy, but I can keep them all reeling in the meantime.

Yeah, I usually forget to turn mine off unless I pick up that "100 precision kills" bounty, but honestly... who doesn't love a screen full of explosions? Explosive rounds are just purely more fun! And that's science

My new favorite gun

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, April 06, 2015, 12:56 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I had to drop my B-Line Trauma for a sexy Chance. I kinda miss it, but I still have my MIDA--which isn't explosive, but certainly feels like it.

My new favorite gun

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 06, 2015, 13:34 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have one of these. Very nice rifle. :)

My new favorite gun

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:11 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

After seeing that this is the highest RoF SR in the game (Numbers, Cody! Numbers!), I was looking at picking this thing up for a while... but the vendor version's perks are so lacklustre. :(

Thanks for the video. It's cool to see it in action.

My new favorite gun

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:46 (3310 days ago) @ CyberKN

Thanks for the video. It's cool to see it in action.

Any time! I might actually take it along for the ride tonight, just to try something different. I've had great luck using it against level 30 Vex so far.

My new favorite gun

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:20 (3310 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I actually have a B-Line trauma with explosive rounds. It's never really been my thing but I'm glad you're enjoying it. It does fire faster than any other scout rifle I've seen.

Oh, and I just noticed that the ANitC that's been sitting unused in my vault for a month has Rodeo, Explosive Rounds, AND Firefly. Can't wait to try that one out ;)

I can't believe you let a scout rifle with firefly and explosive rounds just sit around. Seems like most players consider that the holy grail for scout rifles. :)

My new favorite gun

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 06, 2015, 14:43 (3310 days ago) @ stabbim

I actually have a B-Line trauma with explosive rounds. It's never really been my thing but I'm glad you're enjoying it. It does fire faster than any other scout rifle I've seen.

I can't believe you let a scout rifle with firefly and explosive rounds just sit around. Seems like most players consider that the holy grail for scout rifles. :)

I hadn't noticed the explosive rounds until yesterday, lol. I've already begun upgrading it. Will report back!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread