Question about Tuesday's flawless run(s) (Destiny)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:05 (3308 days ago)

I know it can sometimes take a few days for that particular achievement to pop, but I'm going to be questioning everything until I finally see it. The one bugging the most right now is did we hose ourselves by returning to orbit after killing Crota? Does the game see the raid as complete as soon as Crota dies and the rewards are distributed or were we supposed to hang out for a while until the game finally decided to kick us out?

-Disciple

Question about Tuesday's flawless run(s)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:13 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

You should see the achievement pop almost immediately after killing Crota.

Did anyone join late at any time?

Did you forget to go back to orbit and restart from scratch after a wipe in the abyss?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:22 (3308 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Did you forget to go back to orbit and restart from scratch after a wipe in the abyss?

No one joined in late on the 2nd attempt *cough*squid*cough* :p

No wipes to recover from. We all dropped in together from orbit, knocked out a perfect run, celebrated for just a bit after killing Crota and then returned to orbit. Still haven't seen the achievement show up, though.

-Disciple

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:30 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

No wipes to recover from. We all dropped in together from orbit, knocked out a perfect run, celebrated for just a bit after killing Crota and then returned to orbit. Still haven't seen the achievement show up, though.

-Disciple

Just to be clear, you dropped in from orbit into a fresh run, correct? You didn't start down in the abyss, right?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:31 (3308 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yes we made sure to "reset".

by squidnh3, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:33 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Late doesn't cover it. More like literally at the last second it is even possible to join. I got 3 shards, and joined you guys in orbit. Pretty amusing, until I got in the party and heard the word "flawless".

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:40 (3308 days ago) @ squidnh3

Late doesn't cover it. More like literally at the last second it is even possible to join. I got 3 shards, and joined you guys in orbit. Pretty amusing, until I got in the party and heard the word "flawless".

I still thought it was funny. And the fact that your drop-in gave us a reason to complete a second straight flawless run less that 30 minutes later was just that much better!

-Disciple

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:52 (3308 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was talking to a Bungie employee (name withheld to protect the guilty) about their flawless run & if I understand him correctly they all soloed the abyss so each player had flawless up to that point. Then they all joined up at the bridge... (& cheesed it?) I'm not entirely sure about the specifics, but it sure sounded like they didn't do it all in one run as one group. I wish I had asked some clarifying questions.

*Log out of Destiny and then log back in.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 18:25 (3308 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Tried by a few of us, did not work.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 19:01 (3308 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

Tried by a few of us, did not work.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 21:47 (3308 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Interesting. That's what worked for a few of my friends.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:13 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Did the Xboxers pull it off?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:32 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

yes, twice actually. We will put more goodies in the "this week in Raids" post.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:05 (3308 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

yes, twice actually. We will put more goodies in the "this week in Raids" post.

But I want goodies now! :)

The "this week" threads are unwieldy IMHO.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:24 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

The "this week" threads are unwieldy IMHO.

I like them, but they can get a bit on the huge side. Would something like a "Raid Reports" tag make it more manageable? This way they could still all be grouped together, but still stay in their own separate threads. Of course, it would rely on people like me actually remembering to use the tags when creating the post :p

-Disciple

More of the story, then...

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:30 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

After a quick first run through the raid with a 5-man team, we decided to run it again without any deaths - why not, right? We had a death on the drop into the abyss that forced a return to orbit and a reset, but after landing back on the moon we made great time and had no significant issues until we reached Crota. After two good downs on Crota with the first sword, we were starting to feel pretty good. We downed him a third time and Crota had just a sliver of health left. We'd just downed him the fourth time to strike the final blows when... "Squidnh3 has joined your fireteam." D'oh!

Anyone know how to set a fireteam to private on the XBone? :)

Zero completed the kill and I took us to orbit as fast as possible, but there was no joy in Mudville that night.

After properly lamenting our tragic tale, we decided to do it again - this time with Squid filling out the 6th spot on the team. Twenty Seven minutes later, and Crota died again with no Guardians down. There was much rejoicing, but still no achievement.

Yes, we reset and dropped in fresh from orbit.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:20 (3308 days ago) @ Chappy

PeteTheDuck joined me later and thought that it used the Xbox Party settings to determine if it could be joined. We should try that.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 16:19 (3308 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

PeteTheDuck joined me later and thought that it used the Xbox Party settings to determine if it could be joined. We should try that.

It does. It has to do with the way that, at the beginning of the XBone's existence, MS tried to have XBL parties and in-game parties be the same thing. I've complained about the effects of this bumbling numerous times before so I won't go into more detail here.

What it boils down to is that you have to start an XBL party and set it to invite only. Problem solved.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 16:23 (3308 days ago) @ stabbim

It does. It has to do with the way that, at the beginning of the XBone's existence, MS tried to have XBL parties and in-game parties be the same thing. I've complained about the effects of this bumbling numerous times before so I won't go into more detail here.

Wow... That's completely counter-intuitive to makes system-level parties great: Voice chat across different games/sessions.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 17:02 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

Wow... That's completely counter-intuitive to makes system-level parties great: Voice chat across different games/sessions.

Except in very specific scenarios, I hate voice chat across different games/sessions--at least if I'm actually trying to concentrate on the game I'm playing. Always distracting, rarely good.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 20:01 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

That's fine, but there's often a legitimate need to speak with someone to make arrangements or figure out whether you both want to play something. Even more so when there's multiple people involved and text messaging becomes awkward and hard to follow. Separate system-level chat should exist, whether you choose to use it or not.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 20:09 (3308 days ago) @ stabbim

That's fine, but there's often a legitimate need to speak with someone to make arrangements or figure out whether you both want to play something. Even more so when there's multiple people involved and text messaging becomes awkward and hard to follow.

Yeah, that's one of the specific scenarios where it's okay. What I really don't like is when people I don't know crash a party just to chit-chat with the people they do know or they keep talking about a game that I'm not in.

Yeah, that's just rude.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 20:16 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Kermit may be rude, but he has a point...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 20:46 (3308 days ago) @ CyberKN

I'm not one to get whiny or selfish about my parties, but sometimes someone will hop on, and you can hear their game running in the background. It's very frustrating... Then again, I can't recall who it was with, but I ran with a group, and a guy would hop in the party to chat, and his neighbor played loud music that we could hear. He told us a pretty funny story about it, so the music became a sort of soundtrack to our Raid, which I thought was neat...

But yeah, I'm totally for cross-game chat. I've hopped into plenty while I'm in a different game just to chat sparingly with the gang (such as the Canecutter Clan) while they raid.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 22:48 (3308 days ago) @ Korny

I'm not one to get whiny or selfish about my parties, but sometimes someone will hop on, and you can hear their game running in the background. It's very frustrating... Then again, I can't recall who it was with, but I ran with a group, and a guy would hop in the party to chat, and his neighbor played loud music that we could hear. He told us a pretty funny story about it, so the music became a sort of soundtrack to our Raid, which I thought was neat...

But yeah, I'm totally for cross-game chat. I've hopped into plenty while I'm in a different game just to chat sparingly with the gang (such as the Canecutter Clan) while they raid.

But you know them, right? That's a distinction.

Lately I feel like I complain about everything (but Destiny, what so many want to complain about).

I'll work on that.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 00:57 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

Lately I feel like I complain about everything (but Destiny, what so many want to complain about).

I'll work on that.

Lol... I'm pretty sure Cyber was saying that people who party crash in the way you described are rude, not that you're rude for finding it annoying :)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 02:11 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

Most times that someone crashes my party, I don't think it's been people that I know. But it still doesn't bother me. But then again, I'm used to playing with Randoms, since I did a lot of LFG for VoG back in the day. One guy was playing PT as we ran the raid, and it was great hearing him freak out as he progressed (even gave him some tips).

If people have an issue with someone in the party, they can speak up. Otherwise, they won't know if they're being a serious distraction. In my experience, though, I haven't had an issue with anyone yet.

I get that vibe, but the random ways you nitpick have always had their charm, I suppose.

I'll work on that.

;)

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:33 (3308 days ago) @ Kermit

Did the Xboxers pull it off?

We actually managed to pull off two flawless runs back-to-back! Unfortunately, the first one didn't count due to a small technicality :p

-Disciple

by squidnh3, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:31 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

We actually managed to pull off two flawless runs back-to-back! Unfortunately, the first one didn't count due to a small technicality :p

Whoops.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:32 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I know it can sometimes take a few days for that particular achievement to pop, but I'm going to be questioning everything until I finally see it.

I hate to say it, but they fixed the achievements not-popping-immediately bug in August of last year, so unless this is a Destiny specific bug I think you're out of luck.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:33 (3308 days ago) @ Xenos

I have still had Achievements pop late. Not as late as this.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:40 (3308 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yeah, they still do have to verify the achievements, but if I remember correctly they are supposed to pop in less than 24 hours, so if you don't have it by tonight I'm guessing it's not coming :(

Still broken

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 17:18 (3308 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

Yeah, they still do have to verify the achievements, but if I remember correctly they are supposed to pop in less than 24 hours, so if you don't have it by tonight I'm guessing it's not coming :(

I completed the Titan Mastery achievement late last week and it didn't pop until I signed in yesterday morning.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:38 (3308 days ago) @ Xenos

I hate to say it, but they fixed the achievements not-popping-immediately bug in August of last year, so unless this is a Destiny specific bug I think you're out of luck.

Darn. Soooo what's everyone doing tonight? :p

-Disciple

Here's the full run [VID]

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:31 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Man, I wish Twitch hadn't bugged out on that first run. Losing it at the last possible second was hilariously awful :p

-Disciple

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:51 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Thanks for the video, Disciple!

I might have just found the problem - listen in at 8:16 during the load from the abyss into the bridge. There are two "Guardian Down" audio cues, even though no one actually dies. You and ChrisTheeCrappy were back a bit from the rest of us when the drops hit - perhaps everyone needs to pass through the barrier much closer together?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:04 (3308 days ago) @ Chappy

Thanks for the video, Disciple!

I might have just found the problem - listen in at 8:16 during the load from the abyss into the bridge. There are two "Guardian Down" audio cues, even though no one actually dies. You and ChrisTheeCrappy were back a bit from the rest of us when the drops hit - perhaps everyone needs to pass through the barrier much closer together?

This is very strange. To my knowledge, the "guardian down" audio cue only happens if someone dies at some point in the abyss. During our attempts, if we made it through the abyss with no deaths, the audio cue wouldn't happen. So clearly the game thought someone had died, for some reason.

So frustrating for you guys. Still, congrats on the great run!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:05 (3308 days ago) @ Chappy

I might have just found the problem - listen in at 8:16 during the load from the abyss into the bridge. There are two "Guardian Down" audio cues, even though no one actually dies.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. I remember getting the "Guardian down" notification, but I don't remember ever NOT getting that one, so I assumed it happened every time.

You and ChrisTheeCrappy were back a bit from the rest of us when the drops hit - perhaps everyone needs to pass through the barrier much closer together?

That makes sense. Sort of like entering a darkness zone in a strike before your teammates do and getting the "last guardian standing" message. Shoot. Well, I'm definitely down to do this again next time everyone's free.

-Disciple

by nash, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 16:18 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Sorry if someone already mentioned this in the thread, but I didn't see it.

I'm guessing you did get the achievement, but it just hasn't popped yet. We completed our own XB1 flawless Crota raid a couple weeks ago, and we also received "Guardian down" messages when transitioning to new zones/sections; however, those didn't count against us.

That being said, the achievement didn't pop for any of us until we selected the "Change profile" option within Destiny and then logged back in. That forced the achievement check to occur.

by nash, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 16:25 (3308 days ago) @ nash

Sorry if someone already mentioned this in the thread, but I didn't see it.

I'm guessing you did get the achievement, but it just hasn't popped yet. We completed our own XB1 flawless Crota raid a couple weeks ago, and we also received "Guardian down" messages when transitioning to new zones/sections; however, those didn't count against us.

That being said, the achievement didn't pop for any of us until we selected the "Change profile" option within Destiny and then logged back in. That forced the achievement check to occur.

As a follow up, this was also true with my Titan mastery achievement that I just recently finished. That one still hadn't popped on its own after more than a week, and I had to force it with "Change profile" to get it to show.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 17:50 (3308 days ago) @ nash

HigherLifestyle did that and it didn't work. Hoping it just takes a bit of time, but it doesn't show up on Xbox.com either.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 20:16 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Yeah. I don't know what makes it say that, but it said it sometimes when we were going flawless and nobody dies in abys. And every time a part of me worried that it would Bork the attempt. As it turned out when we got Crota flawless it didn't say it. I don't know if it's a problem or not. Lots of people said it was not a problem.

On second thought...[IMG]

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 22:03 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I might have just found the problem - listen in at 8:16 during the load from the abyss into the bridge. There are two "Guardian Down" audio cues, even though no one actually dies.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. I remember getting the "Guardian down" notification, but I don't remember ever NOT getting that one, so I assumed it happened every time.

You and ChrisTheeCrappy were back a bit from the rest of us when the drops hit - perhaps everyone needs to pass through the barrier much closer together?

That makes sense. Sort of like entering a darkness zone in a strike before your teammates do and getting the "last guardian standing" message. Shoot. Well, I'm definitely down to do this again next time everyone's free.

...if the game considered us dead at that point, I wonder why it wouldn't show up that way in the final game stats.

[image]

-Disciple

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:22 (3308 days ago) @ Chappy

Yea i remember hearing that and wondering if it would mess us up. We can try as Cruel stated and make sure we all run through together.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:35 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Congrats guys.

The resentment can be cut with a knife & put on a sandwich.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 15:39 (3308 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Woohoo!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 02:03 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

No more worrying! It just popped for me!

I guess there's nothing you can really do do speed it along. I switched characters, switched profiles, completely exited Destiny, and even fully powered down the Xbox and brought everything back up just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. Tonight I decided to drop in for a quick public event before bed and it popped as soon as I started logging in with my Titan.

Yay, Flawless Raiders! Can't wait to see more of the Xboxers get that one this weekend!

-Disciple

<whew> That's great news

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, April 09, 2015, 04:21 (3308 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

That's a relief; congratulations! That bodes well for Zero Point Fox, HigherLifestyle, ChrisTheeCrappy and squidNH3...

Woohoo!

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 12:35 (3307 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

Yea still not for me yet. But I haven't signed on.

Woohoo!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 13:12 (3307 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I guess there's nothing you can really do do speed it along. I switched characters, switched profiles, completely exited Destiny, and even fully powered down the Xbox and brought everything back up just to be sure, but it didn't make a difference. Tonight I decided to drop in for a quick public event before bed and it popped as soon as I started logging in with my Titan.

Yay, Flawless Raiders! Can't wait to see more of the Xboxers get that one this weekend!

-Disciple

Man I'm glad! Anybody have this happen with other XB1 games (not counting around launch when it was rampant)? I am seriously curious if this is a XB1 bug or Destiny bug.

Woohoo!

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 13:47 (3307 days ago) @ Xenos

Everyone is claimed M$ fixed this issue, so I would guess that makes it a destiny bug. feel confident my Halo MCC achievements pop right away.

Woohoo!

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Thursday, April 09, 2015, 13:59 (3307 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

feel confident my Halo MCC achievements pop right away.

That's good to hear - MCC wasn't nearly as friendly to me when I was playing. I'd say at least 20-30 of the achievements got stuck "Done... Unlocking" for 24-120 hours after meeting the requirements. They all eventually unlocked, except "No Pain, No Gain" (Complete 1 LASO mission) which had to be done again after an update.

Woohoo!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 14:26 (3307 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yeah, MS fixed the notification bug a long time ago. Anything that still happens now is likely just a hiccup with the individual game.

The bug that existed was actually that ALL notifications would get stuck for a while, not just achievements. People coming online, game and party invites, ALL of them would stop showing up. Then at some point later on, they would all come through at once. So, if you have one achievement not popping, but you're still seeing other notifications, then that's not what's happening.

It's almost assuredly a Destiny bug

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 16:22 (3307 days ago) @ Xenos

This would most likely be related to how Bungie has implemented achievements for Destiny on Xbox One. For whatever reason, they decided not to integrate with the Microsoft APIs for achievement tracking. I suspect that this is because Bungie wanted TOTAL server-side control over the conditions of the achievements (why? Who knows...).

But certain achievements that would normally be tracked locally on your Xbox (and provide real-time feedback in the achievements app) don't get marked as complete until the whole shebang is complete and the Bungie servers have "blessed" the achievement unlock. This combined with the fact that the Xbox One achievements are ALSO activated remotely means that we are probably seeing a huge bottleneck in the achievement pipeline between Bungie and MS

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 17:02 (3307 days ago) @ JDQuackers

This would most likely be related to how Bungie has implemented achievements for Destiny on Xbox One. For whatever reason, they decided not to integrate with the Microsoft APIs for achievement tracking. I suspect that this is because Bungie wanted TOTAL server-side control over the conditions of the achievements (why? Who knows...).

But certain achievements that would normally be tracked locally on your Xbox (and provide real-time feedback in the achievements app) don't get marked as complete until the whole shebang is complete and the Bungie servers have "blessed" the achievement unlock. This combined with the fact that the Xbox One achievements are ALSO activated remotely means that we are probably seeing a huge bottleneck in the achievement pipeline between Bungie and MS

Could be true. When we did it for VoG on PS4, the achievement popped up immediately when the mission complete overlays appeared. Those who didn't have the achievement for Crota got it immediately as well. Interestingly, trophy overlays do not appear on the video recorded by the built in DVR.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 20:21 (3307 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Interestingly, trophy overlays do not appear on the video recorded by the built in DVR.

and yet, that little "screenshot taken" overlay will show up in successive screenshots.

Grrrrrrrrr...

Woohoo!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 13:19 (3307 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

-Disciple

That's awesome! And now the ultimate challenge: taking me through a flawless raid. ;)

Woohoo!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 13:26 (3307 days ago) @ Kermit

That's awesome! And now the ultimate challenge: taking me through a flawless raid. ;)

I'm totally down! You set a date and I'll be there!

-Disciple

Congrats!

by nash, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 17:30 (3307 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread