Heavy Ammo: The Wrong Direction since launch (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 11, 2015, 19:31 (3320 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, April 11, 2015, 19:38

I feel as if the changes Bungie has been making to Heavy Ammo in crucible since launch have increasingly been making the game less interesting and diverse. The changes I am speaking of:

1. You no longer drop your heavy ammo when killed.
2. (upcoming) Heavy Ammo packs on the field will despawn

With both of those changes, all we are going to have are two or three intense portions of the game where all the heavy ammo is used up all at once. Further, the winner of such an encounter will have an advantage with no way for that to be countered. At least before, if you killed someone, but the other team killed all of you, you could at least grab SOME heavy ammo to turn the tide then, or later if you save it. You simply have no options now.

Saving ammo drops for later is a really interesting tactic, that makes the game far more interesting. In the past, there was some risk since if you saved it for later, when everybody had already used all their heavy ammo, you would give the other team your ammo if you were killed, thus giving them your advantage. Also saving it carried an additional risk, since you don't have that ammo to counter the heavy weapons available NOW. But if you could pull it off, you could use an HMG to gets tons of kills later. Risk / reward.

I predict Rocket Launchers will become more prevalent, since the 'use it or lose it' nature of heavy ammo with these changes promotes shorter periods of more explosive conflict. Rockets kill faster than HMGs, but are effective for less time. The allure of the HMG is that you can kill way more guardians than you can with rockets, just over a longer time. But with no saving heavy ammo, you know it's going to be used immediately, and it doesn't make as much sense to choose the slower killing HMG when you are now only concerned with the short term effects of heavy ammo. Team A has Rockets, Team B has HMGs. Team A instantly kills team B. Team Bs HMGs are useless.

This idea that there shouldn't be situations where a team has a huge advantage is really stupid. That's what made the crucible so interesting - you could get huge advantages, but they were tough to achieve, especially since opponents had more options with heavy ammo to counter. The game is so much more interesting when you not only have to worry about doing well yourself, but also preventing the other team from gaining an edge!

This could backfire, and if one team wipes out the other in the initial volley of heavy ammo usage, now the losing team has no means to fight back through strategic usage of heavy. It's gone, and now they are on a map where the enemy has heavy ammo and they don't. Even worse, since there will be less special ammo to use as a counter!

This is a huge mistake, and the game will be far less interesting.

I actually agree completely.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, April 11, 2015, 19:48 (3320 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For real. I have said almost this exact post to people.

Ditto

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 14:22 (3319 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Good riddance ;p

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, April 11, 2015, 20:30 (3320 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I actually fall on the other side of this one. I don't think heavy weapons add anything positive to the experience of Destiny PvP, except on maps where vehicles are involved. There are just too many things in this game that can kill you instantly with no way to counter or avoid them. As much as I love the feeling of getting 15 kills in a row with my machine gun, or killing 4 enemies with a single Nova Bomb, I think heavy weapons and super abilities both do more harm than good to the experience. I'd be in favor of removing them both altogether (I'd be fine with removing vehicles too... They're pretty half-baked as they are).

In Halo, the vehicles and crazy abilities were what I enjoyed most about the multiplayer. But Destiny is a very different animal. I think pure gunplay is what makes it enjoyable, and heavy weapons/supers/vehicles all get in the way of that.

I know, I'm crazy :)

Good riddance ;p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 11, 2015, 21:00 (3320 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I know, I'm crazy :)

You are right. Your game would be much more boring :-p

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread