Does anyone use Solar Wind? (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:00 (3319 days ago)

On a Sunsinger I've never seen the value of Solar Wind. Am I wrong? Do you find it incredibly useful? As James Tiberius Kirk once said: "Enlighten me."

Does anyone use Solar Wind?

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:03 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's useful for pushing teammates around when they're idle.

-Disciple

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:09 (3319 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

Guilty

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:17 (3319 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

- No text -

He who smelt it

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:26 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

oh wait right um sorry

(But seriously it's awesome for idle teammates. I find Flame Shield too damn useful tho for real stuff.)

Used it during loot cave to push idlers off the map.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:43 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

So, no legitimate uses? Come on people...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 19:47 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Sorry. Flame shield too OP. It's all anyone really uses.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 20:04 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

True.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 20:18 (3319 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Sorry. Flame shield too OP. It's all anyone really uses.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, April 13, 2015, 00:54 (3319 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Agreed. Perhaps if they modified the others perks. Say make solar winds push back effect move enemies twice the distance back that it currently does. And make its area of effect wider to move more enemies.

Exactly

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, April 13, 2015, 01:07 (3319 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Overshield on demand, and with shotguns, why push them back when you can just blow them away?

So, no legitimate uses? Come on people...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 20:07 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The only "legit" usage I recall ever seeing was during the first night VoG was unlocked. Low level players, trying to hold sync plates, were using it to keep praetorians at bay until their fireteam could eliminate them.

Can you push Gatekeepers around with it?

Why would I?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, April 12, 2015, 22:50 (3319 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I have guns with perks that do the same effect, so that I can do it multiple times at a much farther range, with no need for a charge.

As it exists, It's a wasted perk slot.

On top of that since it's essentially the same topic, I feel the same way about Brimestone.Yea... that's the one that makes explosions. I love explosions but not this perk.

For me, they are both too weak to take so long.

Now that I said that, its time I post another gif or two from the Elder Scrolls Online CG trailer showing how a real magic class (if more powerful, with much less-cool-down, which would brake the game sadly) pushes and burns its foes.

[image] [image]

PRAISE THE SUN!

[image]

I often wonder how Monte Carlo would factor in

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 12, 2015, 23:28 (3319 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

But alas, it is PSN-exclusive.

I tested that theory out for you...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 13, 2015, 03:05 (3319 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Korny, Monday, April 13, 2015, 03:52

But alas, it is PSN-exclusive.

That is a darn shame, friend. But never fear, I gotcha! ;)

Short version: still useless.

Not only did I use Monte Carlo, but I maxed out the Strength of my Warlock, and I still had a very rough time. The perk simply does not work as advertised. The distance still puts you at gunshot range, and only seems to work if the enemy is already backing away from you. In the video, you see that most of the time the enemies simply don't seem to be affected by it.

Heck, if anything, optimizing it puts me at a serious disadvantage, because max Strength only negatively affected my other abilities. Radiance becomes almost useless, no overshield buff puts me on the defensive in every single close-range encounter, and Scorch does not do nearly enough damage on its own to turn the tide back in my favor.

I didn't test with the Claws of Ahamkara, but they will clearly change nothing; the perk is all but useless in PvP, and in PvE you're much better off with the almost-useless Brimstone.

Shield is the way to go.

+1

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 13, 2015, 09:36 (3319 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

I generally use brimstone in PvE

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, April 13, 2015, 00:58 (3319 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Why would I?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 13, 2015, 01:18 (3319 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by Korny, Monday, April 13, 2015, 01:37

I have guns with perks that do the same effect, so that I can do it multiple times at a much farther range, with no need for a charge.

You mean the Impact rounds? Can't think of a gun (besides my reworked No Land Beyond ;) heh) that has a similar effect...

As it exists, It's a wasted perk slot.

On top of that since it's essentially the same topic, I feel the same way about Brimestone.Yea... that's the one that makes explosions. I love explosions but not this perk.

Which is funny, because Bloom is an awesome (and some would say vital) perk for the Voidwalker, and Brimstone is the Sunsinger variant, but I would never choose it.

I think the issue is that the contending perks in the tier are unbalanced in usefulness. Why choose a perk that just shoves enemies away when you could have an overshield just from hitting them? Why choose a perk with limited usefulness (gotta kill them with the melee in the hopes that another enemy is close enough to get hurt by the blast)?

For me, they are both too weak to take so long.

If they were buffed, I'm not entirely sure that I would use them, unless Brimstone came with a perk similar to the Titan's Overload, or if Solar Wind ignited Enemies longer similar to Radiant Will (though I like Red Robber's AoE suggestion). Or heck, combine Brimstone and Solar Wind. You'd be tossing makeshift grenades at your enemies, similar to the way you could do that in Gears 3.

Now that I said that, its time I post another gif or two from the Elder Scrolls Online CG trailer showing how a real magic class (if more powerful, with much less-cool-down, which would brake the game sadly) pushes and burns its foes.

[image] [image]

Arc Subclass for the Warlock. Unlimited---- Poweeeeeer!

... All I'm saying...

PRAISE THE SUN!

[image]

Three things to factor in:

Claws of Ahamkara, which give you double melee charge.
Monte Carlo, which can instantly refill your melee.
And the glorious Purifier Robes from HoW, which cause any enemy killed by ignite effects to explode, effectively making Brimstone useless.

Praise the sun indeed...

Why would I?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 13, 2015, 01:44 (3319 days ago) @ Korny

You mean the Impact rounds? Can't think of a gun (besides my reworked No Land Beyond ;) heh) that has a similar effect...

I mean High Caliber Rounds (which I love to use).

----------

Three things to factor in:

Claws of Ahamkara, which give you double melee charge.
Monte Carlo, which can instantly refill your melee.
And the glorious Purifier Robes from HoW, which cause any enemy killed by ignite effects to explode, effectively making Brimstone useless.

Praise the sun indeed...

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread