Considering deleting my alts (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Monday, April 13, 2015, 11:00 (3318 days ago)

Warlock > Titan > Hunter

If my Titan and Hunter were a car, they'd have a bumper sticker that would say "I'd rather be playing my Warlock"

Cons:
- Loss of multiple chances to run the next Raid for loot

Counter argument: Bungie's DLC approach is going result in another content gap, so I'll have plenty of time to acquire everything, if not immediately.

- Bungie will release a future new super awesome subclass for Titan or Hunter

Counter argument: Bungie would likely keep with the theme/style of each class, meaning new subclasses won't be a dramatic departure/game changer. As in, the next Hunter subclass will still play like a Hunter.

- Would have wasted a lot of time creating and leveling these alts

Counter argument: This will ensure I won't waste any more time on them on the never ending Destiny treadmill

Pros:
- Less gear stuff to manage

- Shorter "to do" list results in more time spend goofing off/finding my own fun

- Seems to work for Avateur

Considering deleting my alts

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 13, 2015, 11:24 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

Why not just stop playing them but not deleting the characters?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, April 13, 2015, 11:31 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

This. That way they're still there if you need them. They can at least hold extra weapons. That would be better than having to relevel a new character any time you wanted to try something out with that class.

I'm on the opposite end of this spectrum. I want to build another character but I really don't want to get rid of my other 3. I want to build a dedicated bladedancer, and I want to go back through 1-20 so that I can pick up the cloaks I wish I had kept.

by petetheduck, Monday, April 13, 2015, 11:34 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

Why not just stop playing them but not deleting the characters?

I don't freaking know, man. Maybe them being there are like the opposite of this?

This is what I do.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, April 13, 2015, 12:20 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

For me, Titan is love, Titan is life.

I have a hunter that I keep for fun but play it maybe 5% of the time. I've found it useful for when boredom hits, or if I have the desire to play a nightfall twice, etc.

Basically Pete, I don't have my other character there with the intention that I *must* do something with it.

I don't chase duplicates of items\weapons.

So when I run my Titan primary, and I decode an engram and get something nice for my hunter, great! I'll move it over to him, and then when the mood hits, I have some nice toys waiting for me the one time every two months I play Hunter.

I sure as hell can't be bothered to run Destiny's abysmal campaign again going from 1-20, so I'm not going to delete the character. But I'm not investing anymore time into it like I did my Titan.

Here's my take for you, Pete: You very clearly have your characters ranked by favorites. Do one of three things...

1.) Delete nothing, leave your two alts alone, and let them sit. If the mood hits, they are still there, and if you get loot for them as you go, it's not wasted.

2.) Delete them, and then when done, think long and hard about how many hours you just obliterated, for nothing. Then, never let Destiny do that to you again.

3.) Compromise 1 and 2: Delete your least favorite character, quietly weep at hours spent on nothing. Keep secondary character as a backup for fun. FUN. Not grinding. Not chasing. Not wasting.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 13, 2015, 12:32 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

For me, having 3 characters of different classes is a big part of why I keep playing. I still can't decide which class is my favorite, so I appreciate being able to bounce from class to class depending on my mood.

It might be worth keeping your Hunter and Titan, even if you don't use them for a while. You might get a craving to pick them up again at some point.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, April 13, 2015, 13:31 (3318 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Yea i really enjoy how they each play differently. While I love my warlock for PvE, it's still fun to switch and see how much harder the same activity is when I am not in my comfort zone.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, April 13, 2015, 14:33 (3318 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Warlock for PvE? No way, the Titan is the best for PvE. I mained a Titan for the first 5 or 6 month of the game, then started on the warlock and hunter. I love Warlock and Hunter for PvP. My k/d ratio's agree.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Monday, April 13, 2015, 16:20 (3318 days ago) @ red robber

Yes my Warlock is awesome for PvP compared to my Titan as well. But the ability to revive myself or to kill people and have my super almost back again is pretty huge. It also just plays with my style, run in guns a blazing, since I can get health back or a shield from melees. The grenades all work for me too (very few that don't in the entire game to be honest)

Don't!

by Durandal, Monday, April 13, 2015, 13:17 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

What is the cost of leaving them there and not playing? Zero.

What is the cost of deletion? Loss of the hours and gear invested in those characters, loss of the extra storage space.

What is the benefit? You don't feel compelled to play them?

Don't!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 13, 2015, 13:24 (3318 days ago) @ Durandal

What is the cost of leaving them there and not playing? Zero.

What is the cost of deletion? Loss of the hours and gear invested in those characters, loss of the extra storage space.

What is the benefit? You don't feel compelled to play them?

I have to agree. I started out with an alt warlock as my third character, and ultimately deleted it for a hunter. The variety is too much fun during raids, and a nice change of pace during crucible. Also:

Fine, fine

by petetheduck, Monday, April 13, 2015, 13:31 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

You people and your reason.

Fine, fine

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, April 13, 2015, 13:56 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

You people and your reason.

Are there any other games you've wanted to play? This would be a great time to check them out. I'm not sure what's going on in Xbone land these days.

Unless you are a Destiny MP guy, that works too.

This

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 13, 2015, 14:37 (3318 days ago) @ Revenant1988

I am nearing exhaustion on Destiny (I still enjoy it, but bored). So I decided to run a couple of games I've been meaning to play (Bioshock Infinite and MCC) and decided to start reading the Halo Novels. a little change of pace has been nice.

Shadows of Mordor

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, April 13, 2015, 14:46 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

I'm just picking this back up. I only completeled the first map/half of the game. But I had bought the season pass so there is extra stuff on top of what I hadn't already finished.

Nice to have a little break from Destiny.

Wolfenstein

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, April 13, 2015, 17:35 (3318 days ago) @ red robber

I've been playing Wolfenstein: The New Order recently. I'm not very far in but I've been pleasantly surprised that a Wolfenstein game is this good.

Share your opinion on novels when done, plz.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 13, 2015, 15:23 (3318 days ago) @ unoudid

I gave a critical review to GoO, but otherwise thought all the Halo books pre Bungie leave to be fantastic.

I felt that Greg Bear's books were a little disjointed, and Karen Travis's books to be edgy for the sake of being edgy. I have downloaded the new novella, but haven't read it yet.

Share your opinion on novels when done, plz.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, April 13, 2015, 17:30 (3318 days ago) @ Funkmon

I gave a critical review to GoO, but otherwise thought all the Halo books pre Bungie leave to be fantastic.

I felt that Greg Bear's books were a little disjointed, and Karen Travis's books to be edgy for the sake of being edgy. I have downloaded the new novella, but haven't read it yet.

If you liked Halo 2 era Covenant, I highly suggest reading Broken Circle.

It's all about the Prophets and the Elites, and is a nice change of pace from the books of the last few years.

Counter to your Counter Argument

by Earendil, Monday, April 13, 2015, 17:54 (3318 days ago) @ petetheduck

of time to acquire everything, if not immediately.

Counter argument: Bungie would likely keep with the theme/style of each class, meaning new subclasses won't be a dramatic departure/game changer. As in, the next Hunter subclass will still play like a Hunter.

Bungie doesn't need the 3rd subclass to play like the first two, they just need it to not play like any of the non-warlock subclasses. The warlock Voidwalker and Sunsinger play completely different than each other, but unlike any other subclass. I'm not going to expect a 3rd warlock subclass to play like the first two, so much as I expect it to not play like a titan or hunter subclass.

My counter argument to the above counter argument which is its self a counter argument:
Bungie could actually make the third subclass similar to the subclass of a different guardian class in order to accommodate those people that would like to play as a different class, but can't justify the time commitment to run two chars.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:17 (3317 days ago) @ Earendil

Bungie doesn't need the 3rd subclass to play like the first two, they just need it to not play like any of the non-warlock subclasses. The warlock Voidwalker and Sunsinger play completely different than each other, but unlike any other subclass. I'm not going to expect a 3rd warlock subclass to play like the first two, so much as I expect it to not play like a titan or hunter subclass.

My counter argument to the above counter argument which is its self a counter argument:
Bungie could actually make the third subclass similar to the subclass of a different guardian class in order to accommodate those people that would like to play as a different class, but can't justify the time commitment to run two chars.

So what you are saying is that the titan might be getting a super called "Claymore Dance"? Where he gets to run around Cleaving guardians in two with RAW POWER!?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:20 (3317 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So what you are saying is that the titan might be getting a super called "Claymore Dance"? Where he gets to run around Cleaving guardians in two with RAW POWER!?

I soooooo want it to be a two-headed battleaxe.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:22 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I soooooo want it to be a two-headed battleaxe.

Yeah, that would totally work for me too :-)

I mostly want to run at someone like that and have them be like "F!@# this shit" and run away again.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread