How could the third sub-classes play differently? (Destiny)

by Dan de Board @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:34 (3317 days ago)

I'm at a loss for this. The current classes/sub-classes cover some very important niches found in other FPSs and RPGs. What niches haven't been covered that could be filled with other subclasses?

Striker - In-your-face melee mayhem
Defender - Protector of objective
Gunslinger - Sharpshooter
Bladedancer - Sneaky hobittses
Voidwalker - Powerful magics
Sunsinger - Unstoppable fires of destruction/support

If we think about other games, there aren't many classes that don't fit one of those six roles. How could Bungie make the new sub-classes unique and make you want to play them. Is there a role that you want to play that isn't covered by one of these classes/sub-classes?

How could the third sub-classes play differently?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:42 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:46

I'm at a loss for this. The current classes/sub-classes cover some very important niches found in other FPSs and RPGs. What niches haven't been covered that could be filled with other subclasses?

If we think about other games, there aren't many classes that don't fit one of those six roles. How could Bungie make the new sub-classes unique and make you want to play them. Is there a role that you want to play that isn't covered by one of these classes/sub-classes?

Still want:

Chain-lightening slinging warlock. A long range super for Warlocks, along the lines of Golden Gun, but it could be modified to forked lightening at close range or a couple of jumps between enemies at long range.

Void-bow-and-arrow hunter. A high-skill or aoe sort of super for Hunters, maybe. The arrows would need to be harder to aim than GG, but you could get increased movement speed; maybe arrows don't kill, they just slow enemies or make them burn via a DOT. Arrow hits could give health back to the hunter. Whatever, it's mostly so you could have a bow and arrow.

Fire-axe titan. A mobile, more long term super for Titans. It would be like bladedancer, but less mobile and more armor. Or something momentum based: the longer you sprint with it, the faster you run, but the initial sprint is just walking speed.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 14:51 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I definitely have the same thoughts for titan. Add a Blade dancer like super with solar obviously. Make it a little slower and add a ranged ability to it. For me in the crucible Golden gun is my worst enemy. Titans are a little more manageable with their Fist of Havoc, and voidwalker warlocks i can usually get away from. Sunsinger isnt that big a deal and Defender isnt a super killer unless you dont play it smart. However, Golden Gun is instant kill, and doenst have to be that accurate. If i see a gunslinger glowing im dead. and it is so irritating. Why cant Titans have something like that.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:09 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Fire-axe titan. A mobile, more long term super for Titans. It would be like bladedancer, but less mobile and more armor. Or something momentum based: the longer you sprint with it, the faster you run, but the initial sprint is just walking speed.

I think that the Titan ult can still have a supportish role, but it should be able tanking and drawing the fire away from Team mates. So it can be like Bladedancer, but less mellee damage but more tanking ability. Think of it like the head of a spear, it should be able to break the line for the rest of your team.

Not to mention, who wouldn't shit their pants when they see a Titan on FIRE hurdling towards your defensive line?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:13 (3317 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I think that the Titan ult can still have a supportish role, but it should be able tanking and drawing the fire away from Team mates. So it can be like Bladedancer, but less mellee damage but more tanking ability. Think of it like the head of a spear, it should be able to break the line for the rest of your team.

Not to mention, who wouldn't shit their pants when they see a Titan on FIRE hurdling towards your defensive line?

I heard an interesting suggestion here a while back about giving the Titan an actual shield, like a hoplite shield from ancient greece, that they could both bash people with ala the Relic in VoG and block enemy fire with. Perhaps a hard counter to GG or even a Nova Bomb, that would have hit properties similar to a phalanx shield?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:34 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I heard an interesting suggestion here a while back about giving the Titan an actual shield, like a hoplite shield from ancient greece, that they could both bash people with ala the Relic in VoG and block enemy fire with. Perhaps a hard counter to GG or even a Nova Bomb, that would have hit properties similar to a phalanx shield?

I would rather a slow-stomping, ball-and-chain-swinging, nigh-unkillable titan walk through a room, sort of like the bladedancer but way slower. Maybe since it's solar it can blind in a small radius. But the idea would be to be a bulldozer; winning back Control points and breaking Ward domes.

The visual manifestation could vary. The implement is irrelevant, but the functionality is something I think is currently missing. Actually, think of the relic, but with no ranged shot. A shorter-ranged killing ability, and mobile(slow) group protection. Make it a balance between the offensive power of the Striker and the Defensive power of the Defender.

~m

Just on this subject.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:39 (3317 days ago) @ Malagate

The implement is irrelevant, but the functionality is something I think is currently missing.

It probably won't happen in Destiny 1, but somewhere down the line it'd be cool to have some customization available for the 'implements' of supers; for instance, different kinds of blades for bladedancer arc-blades during supers (a kukri or a scimitar, for instance), different shapes for the nova bomb (like a swooping eagle or a bomb with a fuse), maybe an animal graphic around your titan as he lands a fist of havoc, like a charging bear or lion. Fun thoughts.

Just on this subject.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:48 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

The implement is irrelevant, but the functionality is something I think is currently missing.

It probably won't happen in Destiny 1, but somewhere down the line it'd be cool to have some customization available for the 'implements' of supers; for instance, different kinds of blades for bladedancer arc-blades during supers (a kukri or a scimitar, for instance), different shapes for the nova bomb (like a swooping eagle or a bomb with a fuse), maybe an animal graphic around your titan as he lands a fist of havoc, like a charging bear or lion. Fun thoughts.

Yeah, that would be fun. It would have to keep the same color and more or less the same visual profile at speed, though. I'd hate to be trying to piece together how a play went down because I'm confused as to what just happened.

Maybe rather than just customization for customization's sake, the visual appearance of the super could change with the customization of the power itself. Say, when using Death from Above, there's lightning in the shape of an eagle around your titan.

~m

Any increase in variety is welcome by me.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:49 (3317 days ago) @ Malagate

- No text -

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:13 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Not a fire axe, a fire sword.

Although I really want to see something like this, I worry that it isn't different enough than the blade dancer.

Boo fire sword! FIRE AXE!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:14 (3317 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

Swords are obviously cooler

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:15 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Fire HAMMER

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:18 (3317 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

- No text -

FIRE TENT STAKES!

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:40 (3317 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

FIRE RUBBER CHICKEN

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:04 (3317 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Fire HAMMER

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:19 (3317 days ago) @ CougRon

When you kill someone with it, they get banned from crucible for a week.

Lava Axe! Catch!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:53 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Lava Axe! Catch!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 16:00 (3317 days ago) @ dogcow

[image]

Fun with two Fire Servants

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 16:23 (3317 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Healer/Medic Class

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:19 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I think a warlock whose super has the ability to heal in a area around him while it is active. It could also instantly revive any downed player he passes without pressing x.

Defibrillate!

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 16:25 (3317 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

Healer/Medic Class

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:10 (3317 days ago) @ red robber

I like the idea of having some kind of healer/medic.

How about a class that automatically triggers regeneration for nearby allies when activated and during pulses afterwards? Your teammates would still have to avoid fire to heal, but working together would allow your team to just keep putting pressure on the enemy.

For grenades, how about a grenade that prevents health regeneration for any affected player for a short duration.

Finally, for a melee ability the new class could steal health while dealing damage.

Healer/Medic Class

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:36 (3317 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

What if instead of bullets, or guns squirted a healing salve that cured all wounds.

Maybe they could take real life inspiration.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:28 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

The Miller: third hunter class whose constant unending complaints are so vacuous they turn into void energy.
The Bluerunner: third warlock class that turns all handcannons arc so there is no need for the Fatebringer.
The Errerer: third titan class who ate too many picked sausages after hosting a LAN, so fire comes from both ends; can only be used with an arcane control scheme.

+1

by Monochron, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:37 (3317 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

+10

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:48 (3317 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 15:44 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

For warlock -> LightBringer - Need for Speed (or else you bleed).

I was actually going to address this today... ;)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 17:26 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:16 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I would also be happy if the Titan could just start Gunzerking at will.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:28 (3317 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Hmm, what about just doing something crazy like doubling the rate of fire with any gun while the super is active?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:38 (3317 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Hmm, what about just doing something crazy like doubling the rate of fire with any gun while the super is active?

That could work if it also doubled the clip size

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:49 (3317 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

And thus, the Sahara became a HMG.

The third sub class slot is the skill tree for space combat

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 18:47 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

I hope.

Seriously though, there are multitudes of options for skills that aren't currently in the game:

Illusionist/Decoy class
Trapper / freeze the enemies class
Direct support class (shooting allies charges them up/heals them/makes them immune to damage etc)
Necromancer class (raising the fallen enemies... fallen Fallen?.. to fight alongside you)
Vengeance class (damage reflection and redirection)
Posession/Meat puppet class (take control of an enemy and wear its skin for a while)
Suppression support class (doesn't deal much damage, but staggers and blinds enemies all day)
Close Quarters Combat class (takes less damage the closer he is to an enemy)
Hacker/mechromancer class (takes control of machine enemies)
Engineer class (turrets etc)
Goliath class (slow moving but has loads of health and deals high damage).
Gymnast class (very agile class that deals more damage when attacking from above and / or behind an enemy)

These are just off the top of my head with no actual thought or planning. I'm sure Bungie can come up with more.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 19:02 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Suppression support class (doesn't deal much damage, but staggers and blinds enemies all day)

Those are called the flashbang and Suppressor grenades for the Titan

Goliath class (slow moving but has loads of health and deals high damage).

That's called a Titan (minus the extra health and damage)

by Dan de Board @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 20:00 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

A lot of what you mention is already represented in the game in some way shape or form, and I think for a lot of them it would be difficult to build a whole class around them with the way that talents, abilities and supers work. A few ones that stand out that I'd like to see:

Illusionist/Decoy class

Only if the super is the decoy and it explodes. This would probably make a really cool Hunter sub-class, though I'd be worried it'd be too similar to the Bladedancer in terms of sneakiness.

Vengeance class (damage reflection and redirection)

This would be super fun, but might be really broken. I imagine this most as a Titan, probably running around with that fiery axe everyone loves so much.

Very good for defending those points. I could picture three variations of the turret: invisible weaker one, strong slow firing one with AoE (like a boomer) and maybe a melee turret? Warlock makes the most sense for this.

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 22:37 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

Very good for defending those points. I could picture three variations of the turret: invisible weaker one, strong slow firing one with AoE (like a boomer) and maybe a melee turret? Warlock makes the most sense for this.

A melee turret?! Let's call the super "Rolling Ball of Butcher Blades!"

More like something that deals high damage at melee range...

by Dan de Board @, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 23:34 (3317 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Sorry to burst your bubble...

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 00:47 (3317 days ago) @ Dan de Board

One-Man Fireteam

Super that creates two decoys who move and fight alongside the Player. Their movements are similar but slightly different from the Player. They don't deal/absorb damage but they give the Player visual cover as they move across the field.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 02:02 (3317 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

One-Man Fireteam

Super that creates two decoys who move and fight alongside the Player. Their movements are similar but slightly different from the Player. They don't deal/absorb damage but they give the Player visual cover as they move across the field.

Huh, that sounds like something that I've seen in a different game... Although in the other game, they do reduced damage, which adds value...

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread