Iron Banner loadouts? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:11 (3296 days ago)

This week I'm going to try to buy some Iron Banner stuff on Xbone, which means I'm actually going to try to rank up.

Here's my loadout:

Thorn (aggressive ballistics, send it)
Found Verdict (field choke, sent it)
Corrective Measure (field choke, field scout)

Voidwalker (axion bolt, blink, lance, life steal, arcane spirit, angry magic, divine order, embrace the void)

For armor I'm choosing Obsidian Mind and the Crota Raid armor. I don't have a lot of choices that get me to 32, which is one reason I want to buy IB stuff!

Any thoughts?

Kermit

Iron Banner loadouts?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:15 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by iconicbanana, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:18

This week I'm going to try to buy some Iron Banner stuff on Xbone, which means I'm actually going to try to rank up.

Here's my loadout:

Voidwalker (axion bolt, blink, lance, life steal, arcane spirit, angry magic, divine order, embrace the void)

For armor I'm choosing Obsidian Mind and the Crota Raid armor. I don't have a lot of choices that get me to 32, which is one reason I want to buy IB stuff!

Any thoughts?

Kermit

Just remember that Crota's armor, while giving you more defense, isn't necessarily better if you have other armor that synergizes better with handcannons/shotguns. The special loader is handy on the gloves, for instance, but you won't have as much shotgun ammo, so if you have handcannon loader gloves, they'd probably be better because you'll use the Thorn more and should maximize its efficacy. Also, use soul rip! It's a more useful melee with Embrace the Void imo.

Iron Banner loadouts?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:35 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's my loadout:

Any thoughts?

Kermit

Well. Remember that once House of Wolves comes out your armor options are really going to open up. I'm looking forward to the much more diverse look Destiny is going to take on in the weeks and months afterward. As for your Warlock, I've never gotten the hang of Lance and still don't really understand what Angry Magic actually does even after having smart people describe it for me. I prefer the vortex enhancing perks because it lets a Nova Bomb bake people hiding under a Ward of Dawn.

Overall though, I dislike the Voidwalker in Crucible play. I'm not a fan of the vortex grenade, the splitting grenade is one of the few grenades I don't fear as it never seems to hit anyone, and while the Axion Bolts are distracting and good for Post Mortem kills I find they're often too slow to let you win a battle. Your guns are, of course, going to be great though. :)

For myself I'm doing my traditional Sunsinger build mainly because I use exotic helmets on my Titan and Hunter. I don't have the exact perk list in front of me but I'll be running with the Firebolt grenades which I like for their hit speed (compared to Axion Bolts) and ability to hit around corners. I almost always use Radiant Skin instead of the revive perk. Self-reviving is great but I like the way the increased toughness lets you shoot a gun a little then kill him with a grenade then shoot the next gun and grenade over and over without much fear of being killed.

I'll be specing to max Armor and then Recovery and then it's kinda a toss up as to which option I'll use in the final column.I like Firebolt grenades with the extra burning options because I regularly get kills that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, but then I like hovering with Angle of Light in certain situations, but then I like having two grenades because it helps ensure you are always generating another grenade during Radiance instead of the recharge topping out when you are shooting someone.

For guns I'll probably run with my usual loadout of Up For Anything (featuring Third Eye), Murmur in Solar mode (to stick with my fire theme) and Super Good Advice. If for some reason I'm not feeling Up For Anything I now have a second Three Little Words that I'm leveling.

If you don't care about K/D, Voidfang+Axion Bolt wrecks

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:53 (3296 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Iron Banner loadouts?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:42 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm being dumb and planning on no lifeing it this week due to the IB Helmet.

Hunter:
Achlyophage Symbiote + Raid Gear

Warlock:
Obsidian Mind + Raid Gear
Or
Voidfang Vestments + Raid Gear

Titan:
random gear to get me to 31 + exotic helm depending on playing striker or defender

Weapons (Shared)
Thorn
TLW
Red Death

Found Verdict
Felwinter's Lie (Rangefinder, Hammer Forged)
Efrideet's Spear (Spray & Play, Armor Piercing, Final Round)

Jolder's Hammer (Counter Balance, Field Scout, Crowd Control)
Radegast's Fury (Spray & Play, Field Scout, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades)

Oh man...you're not doing all three, are you?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:43 (3296 days ago) @ unoudid

Damn dude, I know you're all about the 100% completion, but no lifeing it doesn't begin to describe how long you'd have to play to do all three.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, April 27, 2015, 14:52 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Damn dude, I know you're all about the 100% completion, but no lifeing it doesn't begin to describe how long you'd have to play to do all three.

If anyone is interested in this particular kind of madness, here are some hard numbers.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:08 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I'm planning on reaching rank 3-4 on each and probably rank 5 on 1+ depending on what all is available this week. I have both sets of chest/gauntlets/boots for my Warlock and Hunter already so I just need the helmets to complete the set. I'm buying any and all gear I can for my underleveled Titan.

There has been some speculation that we should see Perun's Fire and Skorri's Revenge this time since they haven't shown up sine TDB released.

If Perun's Fire is available it should be at Rank 4. I'll probably buy at least one to try to reroll for (Red Dot-ORS1, Rangefinder, Hammer Forged)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:59 (3296 days ago) @ unoudid

There has been some speculation that we should see Perun's Fire and Skorri's Revenge this time since they haven't shown up sine TDB released.

I still haven't picked up a Timur's Lash. If it's not for sale I might sit this one out. Neither of those are something I would use much.

Then again, that hunter helmet looks pretty sweet.

Funkmon's IB gun ranking.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:03 (3296 days ago) @ bluerunner

Definitely just my opinion.

For PvE:

#1. Timur's Lash (one shots low level knights)
#2. Efrideet's Spear
#3. Gheleon's Demise
#4. Jolder's Hammer (for filling out those other machine gun elements with a field scout machine gun, mostly)
#5. Whatever. The rest of these can usually be better supplanted by raid guns.

For PvP:

#1. Felwinter's Lie, and it's not close.
#2. Efrideet's Spear
#3. Jolder's Hammer.
#4. Whatever.

It'll be hard, but not impossible.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:59 (3296 days ago) @ unoudid

As you probably know, as long as you blast through 3 bounties a day, you'll hit rank 4 or 5 this weekend. That's an hour each for each day. 3 hours a day is a lot of time, but it's not impossible. It's like watching a movie and then the news afterwards.

It'll be hard, but not impossible.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:16 (3296 days ago) @ Funkmon

As you probably know, as long as you blast through 3 bounties a day, you'll hit rank 4 or 5 this weekend. That's an hour each for each day. 3 hours a day is a lot of time, but it's not impossible. It's like watching a movie and then the news afterwards.

That's a typical night for me anyway. Ill usually play from 7-8 PM up til midnight or so. The main probably I have is that I don't want to wear the faction item because I have crucible ready to roll over come HoW.

Looks good, but mb not obsidian mind.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:12 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

If it's your only helmet, no problem, but skull or the Crota one (with voidfang) are better choices for me, but you'll need to modify your setup with skull.

But I'm bad at the game, so don't listen to me.

Agreed, would say suboptimal but still very usable.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:15 (3296 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by iconicbanana, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:23

- No text -

Oh yes, for sure.

by Funkmon @, Monday, April 27, 2015, 15:39 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Looks good, but mb not obsidian mind.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:25 (3296 days ago) @ Funkmon

Dude, I just spent ten minutes trying to figure out what helm "mb" referred to!

I might switch things up--we'll see. I also have a leveled Bad Juju, but it hasn't gotten the kills as consistently as Thorn has.

IB Thorn burn is too good not to abuse :)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:32 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Yup

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:37 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Looks good!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:39 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

Great loadout as far as weapons go.

In terms of armor, I agree with what others are saying: Obsidian mind is decent, but maybe not the most effective choice.

Do you have the Voidfang Vestments exotic chest piece? It's fantastic for a Voidwalker in the crucible. It improves your Axion Bolt grenades (adds an extra bolt, improves the tracking and speed of all bolts), plus it gives you a full grenade charge every time you respawn. For someone like me (I play really aggressively; lots of kills and deaths), the grenade on respawn makes a huge difference.

Looks good!

by Penthesilean, Monday, April 27, 2015, 20:25 (3296 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I usually run with a Skull, but I'm going to try this next time. So much frustration when my grenades don't seem to do much...

Iron Banner loadouts?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:43 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

Here's my loadout:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, if you're going void walker and using axion bolt, why would you not use Voidfang Vestaments?! Even if it doesn't get you to 32, level matters pretty little from 29-32.

Pssst... not everyone HAS it ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:44 (3296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

SoDA Hunger build.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:45 (3296 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by iconicbanana, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:49

Yeah, if you're going void walker and using axion bolt, why would you not use Voidfang Vestaments?!

Because you're using the Annihilate/Hunger/EtV/Soulrip build with Skull and want to maximize super generation with guaranteed hits on your grenade.

Related question

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:51 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Do we have any specifics for "Your siphon abilities are also improved"?

Free Hunger.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:52 (3296 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Do we have any specifics for "Your siphon abilities are also improved"?

You get "the hunger" for free. Note that the hunger does not stack with the helmet.

SoDA Hunger build.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:54 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Yeah, if you're going void walker and using axion bolt, why would you not use Voidfang Vestaments?!

Because you're using the Annihilate/Hunger/EtV/Soulrip build with Skull and want to maximize super generation with guaranteed hits on your grenade.

To each his own I guess.

Most certainly!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:56 (3296 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To each his own I guess.

More just throwing it out there. Voidfang is a damn good Sunsinger armor too, for instance. Gift of the sun + firebolt grenades is a guaranteed kill with two hits, and you get them on spawn with the fangs. Never go sub 1.0 again on your k/d.

Most certainly!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 27, 2015, 18:03 (3296 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Do you get both grenades back on spawn?

Yes.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, April 27, 2015, 18:14 (3296 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Thanks for all the feedback.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, April 27, 2015, 22:17 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm relieved that I don't have to be a 32--that opens things up a bit. I could use Void Vestments, but what I discovered is that unfortunately, the rest of legendary armor seems devoid (so to speak, heh) of Intelligence points. I don't know how that happened, but it's true. I still can be a grenade monster, though.

I wish I hadn't chosen Sunsinger as my first ever subclass because it taught me to save my super for revives and I'm not as aggressive with it offensively as I should be, but I'm trying to work on that.

Invective anyone?

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 05:28 (3296 days ago) @ Kermit

I used to always pair Invective with Devil You Know, but I've changed since acquiring so many good exotic primaries (Thorn, Red Death, TLW). It was really great to never have to worry about secondary ammo... and that was in the old days. I'm thinking that I might bring it out of the vault with my TFWPKY. Anyone else using Invective lately?

Invective anyone?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 05:45 (3296 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I do. It does a decent job of keeping itself supplied as long as you don't expect to use it all the time as if it were a primary.

Invective anyone?

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 16:08 (3295 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I do. It does a decent job of keeping itself supplied as long as you don't expect to use it all the time as if it were a primary.

I prefer to keep my distance and snipe with my hand cannon, so I always seem to have plenty of ammo with Invective. I guess I'll try using found verdict and thorn, and see how often I run out of shotgun ammo. If it's not a problem, then maybe I won't need Invective.

I pair with vision of confluence and blink. Still very good.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:03 (3295 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread