How to prepare for House of Wolves (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 05:51 (3296 days ago)

As suggested by DreadPirateWes. Reply with your tips and suggestions on what one can do to prepare for the coming House of Wolves expansion. I would suggest using the Subject line as a short summary of your suggestion and then post a full explanation in the message.

Faction rep to just before a reward package

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 05:58 (3296 days ago) @ CougRon

I'll go first with a suggestion.

Go through the Factions and work on getting them close but NOT over the next rank level. Then after HoW drops, you can then earn a few extra points for each and earn a new reward package that should drop one or two pieces of new gear. (If RNG is kind) You should be able to do this with all three tower factions, the crucible, and vangard. Though you may not be able to avoid earning marks/reputation on one of them depending on how much you play.

Also save armor cryptarch engrams.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 10:41 (3296 days ago) @ CougRon

While saving your cryptarch upgrade packages won't work, they're pre rolled, saving the ENGRAMS to upgrade him once TDB comes out will get new cryptarch packages that have a chance to drop good stuff.

What????

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:08 (3295 days ago) @ Funkmon

I thought you were supposed to save cryptarch packages since the engrams are rolled after you open the package?

psh. Who knows?

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:39 (3295 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

So, Engrams are weird...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:44 (3295 days ago) @ unoudid

For instance, There are multiple types of each engram and package. New ones were introduced after TDB that contained the new TDB weapons and armour, but if you still had "Vanilla" engrams sitting in your vault, those still had a chance to give you the vanilla legendary stuff (these vanilla engrams are still obtainable via patrol chests).

If you earn a cryptarch package prior to HoW dropping, that TDB package already contains TDB engrams, which in turn will decrypt into TDB gear.

TL;DR: It's impossible to "hoard" engrams and packages if you want to get HoW stuff out of them. Instead, you can hoard engrams and packages that you can decrpyt/open after HoW drops to give you REPUTATION, which goes towards ranking up and getting a new HoW package.

So, Engrams are weird...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 10:30 (3295 days ago) @ CyberKN

You can only get "vanilla" gear from Engrams found in chests? Looks like Im never getting those old class items I missed.

Faction rep to just before a reward package

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 13:45 (3295 days ago) @ CougRon

Are the faction reward packages 'pre-rolled'? If not, couldn't you just keep getting them like you normally would now and use what you've already received and saved after the HoW download?

Fill your post with Public Event Rewards

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 10:07 (3296 days ago) @ CougRon

So far Bungie have a bit of a track record of Public Event rewards misbehaving after an update. Last time those with a full Postmaster managed to grab themselves a wealth of Radiant materials.

You should be saving them up anyway to make the most of telemetries, but if you wait 'til after the update you might get something extra special. Maybe.

Fill your post with Public Event Rewards

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 15:00 (3295 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 15:26

So far Bungie have a bit of a track record of Public Event rewards misbehaving after an update. Last time those with a full Postmaster managed to grab themselves a wealth of Radiant materials.

You should be saving them up anyway to make the most of telemetries, but if you wait 'til after the update you might get something extra special. Maybe.

Man, I've been doing it wrong. I'd open packages to see if there was anything I wanted to apply the telemetries to, and I assumed telemetries magnified turning in bounties and shooting stuff and that's it.

What I'm figuring out, though, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that any interaction in the tower gives you experience that can be magnified by the telemetries, right?

Yep.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 15:18 (3295 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

If you want a vendor weapon (Vanquisher), buy it now.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 10:45 (3296 days ago) @ CougRon
edited by Funkmon, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 10:52

The Vanquisher appears to be gone in HoW. So, buy it ASAP or level up New Monarchy constantly to get that gun if you want it. It's not good now, but if Bingle buffs auto rifles at some point, it will be back to being best in the game.

The Chance from FWC is also a great handcannon, and I don't know if it will make it. The LDR from vanguard is awesome, and TFWPKY and Rapier from Crucible are also good. Red Hand appears to be for sale next expansion too, so that should take care of most handcannon needs if you don't want to buy The Chance or TFWPKY.

If you're going to start a new character, save Commendations

by petetheduck, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 10:50 (3296 days ago) @ CougRon

Because Commendations will convert to rep in the HoW economy, Commendations you've saved up with your primary character(s) can greatly benefit new characters by getting their Vanguard or whatever up to rank 3 right after hitting level 20 so they can purchase new armor. You'll still need Marks, but that initial rep grind won't be an issue.

Buy destiny

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 12:41 (3295 days ago) @ CougRon

I graduate from Grad school on the 22nd, so now I'll actually have time to play me some Destiny :).

Welcome

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 17:13 (3295 days ago) @ electricpirate

to the club

Buy destiny

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 18:02 (3295 days ago) @ electricpirate

I graduate from Grad school on the 22nd, so now I'll actually have time to play me some Destiny :).

Congrats! I know you played the beta and have been around for a while. Look forward to you joining in on some of the organized sessions.

Buy destiny

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 00:02 (3295 days ago) @ Kermit

Congrats! I know you played the beta and have been around for a while. Look forward to you joining in on some of the organized sessions.

Thanks! Yea, that would be great! I've been lurking some, and the exploits of ya'll's raids make me a bit jelous.

Buy destiny

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 20:09 (3295 days ago) @ electricpirate

Hey, congrats! I lost track of you after the Reach launch - will be nice to see you back. :)

I'm confused.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:46 (3295 days ago) @ CougRon

How do we know that the content of packages (or engrams) are predetermined before we open (or decrypt) them? Has Bungie said so?

If we don't know, and considering that the loot tables are about change, wouldn't it be prudent to not open or decrypt anything until after HoW drops if we care primarily about getting new stuff?

Probably won't get HoW gear from current engrams

by Monochron, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 14:52 (3295 days ago) @ Kermit

But Bungie hasn't said one way or the other. I believe last time it worked this way though, engrams acquired before TDB did NOT give TDB gear.

However! daily reward packages and the like give mad experience. So hoarding them (regardless of their contents) is a good idea so that you will have a ton of XP at your disposal as soon as HoW drops.

I'm confused.

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 15:56 (3295 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm not sure that it's ever been mentioned by Bungie, but the word on the street (reddit st.) is that Cryptarch packages generate engrams when opened. So if you store them up you can get new gear immediately. Vanguard packages are supposedly different, and have pre-determined engrams inside. However, even if this is how it worked for TDB, that doesn't mean it'll work that way for HoW.

I'm confused.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 16:02 (3295 days ago) @ Kermit

How do we know that the content of packages (or engrams) are predetermined before we open (or decrypt) them? Has Bungie said so?

If we don't know, and considering that the loot tables are about change, wouldn't it be prudent to not open or decrypt anything until after HoW drops if we care primarily about getting new stuff?

With specific regard to engrams- if you read the description very closely before you cash it in, you can tell what you will get, to some extent.

For example, you might come across a purple primary weapon engram in the wild. Read the description before you redeem it. The text can be different, and that will clue you into if you are actually going to get what was advertised (in this case, a primary weapon) or if you will just get mats.

As to your other questions, idk.

This theory hit a snag the other day.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 16:24 (3295 days ago) @ Revenant1988

*Gets Legendary engram*

"The Cryptarch in the Tower may be able to decrypt this object and reveal its contents."

"Oh great. More shards"

*Decrypts into LDR 5001*

"..."

This theory hit a snag the other day.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 17:03 (3295 days ago) @ CyberKN

*Gets Legendary engram*

"The Cryptarch in the Tower may be able to decrypt this object and reveal its contents."

"Oh great. More shards"

*Decrypts into LDR 5001*

"..."

Yeah it was never said that it's 100% effective (lol nothing in Destiny seems to be 100% except randomness and exceptions)but very accurate. Since reading about it, for me at least, it's been a pretty good indicator. Remember though, that when that wheel spins you could even get an exotic out of it, even if the engram indicates it's materials.

If there is one thing I can say about Destiny, it is in my opinion, consistently inconsistent :V

I'm confused.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 16:29 (3295 days ago) @ Revenant1988

With specific regard to engrams- if you read the description very closely before you cash it in, you can tell what you will get, to some extent.

For example, you might come across a purple primary weapon engram in the wild. Read the description before you redeem it. The text can be different, and that will clue you into if you are actually going to get what was advertised (in this case, a primary weapon) or if you will just get mats.

I'm not convinced this is always the case. I'm positive that I've had a "materials" description engram end up in a weapon. Now it may have a higher chance of being materials, but I'm pretty sure it's not 100%.

Edit: Apparently Cyber also experienced this, & beat me to the punch.

I'm confused.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 17:05 (3295 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm not convinced this is always the case. I'm positive that I've had a "materials" description engram end up in a weapon. Now it may have a higher chance of being materials, but I'm pretty sure it's not 100%.

Replied to cyber - you're right. It is accurate, but not precise. *Shrugs* I look at it like a weather forecast.

I'm confused.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 17:14 (3295 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Replied to cyber - you're right. It is accurate, but not precise. *Shrugs* I look at it like a weather forecast.

This is exactly how I've looked at it since finding out there were two different types of engrams. More often the not, the less potent one has only been shards. And the higher potency versions have yielded legendaries more often. I could just be crazy too.

Not much to do, it seems

by DreadPirateWes, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 16:04 (3295 days ago) @ CougRon

Overall, it seems like we can't prep to jump to 33 as easily as we could prep to get to 31 with TDB. Since new gear doesn't give extra light, we have to find out exactly how to get Etheric mats to see if there's any prep we can do to get extra when HoW rolls out.

Not much to do, it seems

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 10:34 (3295 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Save those Marks anyway though. The new vendor gear won't be stronger that existing stuff, but you'll be able to reroll it.

Btw, has it been said that only vendor-purchased gear can be rerolled? Or any HoW gear? Would certainly give an incentive to collect marks if its the former.

Not much to do, it seems

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 12:13 (3294 days ago) @ someotherguy

Btw, has it been said that only vendor-purchased gear can be rerolled? Or any HoW gear? Would certainly give an incentive to collect marks if its the former.

Bungie has no "official documentation" yet, but all of the news articles that summarize the last Twitch stream claim you can reroll any new HoW weapon.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread