The arena problem is back (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 20:30 (3255 days ago)

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive34.pl?read=1019968

This was almost 5 years ago, and I am really surprised it's coming back up again.

It was announced that loot drops would be more favorable for the best players in a crucible game. Back in the Reach arena days, you were ranked not on your team's performance, but on your individual performance in the team. The theory was that you doing better means your team does better. To be fair, I think this worked out for the most part because the ranking system treated assists and kills with equal weight. So you could still help your team and not worry about getting kills.

Still, trying to maximize your own individual K/D is a very different goal than trying to maximize your entire team's K/D.

In Destiny, this is going to be a problem because assists are worth less than half of what kills are. The game ranks players in the end by points, and an assist gets you 50 points, yet a kill gets you 100+ when you factor in the modifiers such as headshot bonus, 1st place kill, etc.

This means moving forward if you want a better shot at loot, you need to get more kills than others on your team. I can easily see this being a problem where players will play more selfishly in a way which might benefit them, but not the team as a whole.

The only acceptable thing to do is to increase the loot drop chance for the winning team (meaning everyone on it), not the best individual players.

Did I miss something?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 20:38 (3255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Is this about ToO?

I could be wrong, but I thought the implication was that after-game drops were still random. The skill reward part of it was getting more wins, thus the opportunity to buy better stuff from the Vendor.

I don't remember seeing kill/assist points at all in the gametype, either.

Did I miss something?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 20:40 (3255 days ago) @ CyberKN

Is this about ToO?

I could be wrong, but I thought the implication was that after-game drops were still random. The skill reward part of it was getting more wins, thus the opportunity to buy better stuff from the Vendor.

I don't remember seeing kill/assist points at all in the gametype, either.

No, this was covered as a change to normal crucible. The better you do as a player, the better your chance of getting good loot is. It's not related to ToO.

Did I miss something?

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 20:53 (3255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, this was covered as a change to normal crucible. The better you do as a player, the better your chance of getting good loot is. It's not related to ToO.

I don't think they said "good" loot odds increased. So maybe top people will at least get some blue junk, but Exotic odds are the same for everyone.

I guess it depends on the reward gap.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 20:54 (3255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Considering they will being increasing rewards across the board, It's hard to tell how big of a deal this is.

And I'd be less infuriated that the guy at the top of the scoreboard got a Hawkmoon then the guy with a K/D of less than 0.5

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 21:00 (3255 days ago) @ CyberKN

Considering they will being increasing rewards across the board, It's hard to tell how big of a deal this is.

And I'd be less infuriated that the guy at the top of the scoreboard got a Hawkmoon then the guy with a K/D of less than 0.5

In addition to that, the game already incentivizes winning through marks.

The arena problem is back

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 21:12 (3255 days ago) @ Cody Miller

http://forums.bungie.org/halo/archive34.pl?read=1019968

This was almost 5 years ago, and I am really surprised it's coming back up again.

It was announced that loot drops would be more favorable for the best players in a crucible game. Back in the Reach arena days, you were ranked not on your team's performance, but on your individual performance in the team. The theory was that you doing better means your team does better. To be fair, I think this worked out for the most part because the ranking system treated assists and kills with equal weight. So you could still help your team and not worry about getting kills.

Still, trying to maximize your own individual K/D is a very different goal than trying to maximize your entire team's K/D.

In Destiny, this is going to be a problem because assists are worth less than half of what kills are. The game ranks players in the end by points, and an assist gets you 50 points, yet a kill gets you 100+ when you factor in the modifiers such as headshot bonus, 1st place kill, etc.

This means moving forward if you want a better shot at loot, you need to get more kills than others on your team. I can easily see this being a problem where players will play more selfishly in a way which might benefit them, but not the team as a whole.

Currently, the Crucible only rewards teams as a whole via paying out more Crucible Marks to the winning team. Individual accomplishment is, as far as I know, ignored. It's pretty grating when I play a good solid game and my randos run headlong into the enemy over and over. I can play well and play supportive and be a team player but ultimately I'm only 1/5th of my team and there's only so much I can do. With the upcoming change The Crucible will reward both playing as a team and individual performance.

I see that as a positive... not a problem.

Why you gotta kill-steal all your randos' kills? :P

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 21:21 (3255 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I am highlighting the chief concern through a sarcastic and mildly humourous remark

'Cause they haven't found the trigger button yet... :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 21:22 (3255 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

True Story

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 22:03 (3255 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Thorn #1 kill stealer

by Raflection, Thursday, April 30, 2015, 00:46 (3255 days ago) @ unoudid

flaming throwing knife #2 :P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread