Xur: HotPF, Don't Touch Me, Ruin Wings, Hard Light, glove. (Destiny)

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 01, 2015, 07:11 (3282 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Friday, May 01, 2015, 07:14

Opinion: All of these are good, even FANTASTIC, except hard light, but that is fun to use.

Buy every item today, but conserve your gauntlet motes (read: don't buy unless you feel the overwhelming need) for IB reforge!

Well, back to sleep. Good luck!

EDIT: all of these are so good, you should buy the armor even if you don't have a character of that class just in case you make one. No joke.

So, HotPF...

by Monochron, Friday, May 01, 2015, 11:43 (3282 days ago) @ Funkmon

So far I have passed on this exotic but it appears that everyone else in the Destiny community disagrees with me. So this chest give you a better Radiance correct? You can throw grenades faster and use your melee ability faster? I wouldn't think that this was all that amazing considering that I don't spend much of my time playing in Radiance. Maybe if it made Radiance last longer, or made me tougher during it, or improved additional attributes I would want it.

So, why does everyone seem to say that this is one of the best (or THE best) Sunsinger exotic?

So, HotPF...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:18 (3282 days ago) @ Monochron

Cause it's awesome. I was doing some testing the other day and without HotPF I could throw somewhere around 5 to 6 grenades during radiance. With it I could do more like 11 to 13. The recharge rate is almost double and it helps a lot when you are trying to clear out or survive a group of enemies.

Sorry...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:35 (3282 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I can't hear you over the sound of my insta-recharging Nova Bomb!

How'd you do that?

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:40 (3282 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

How'd you do that?

by Monochron, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:43 (3282 days ago) @ Funkmon

Probably wearing an Obsidian Mind, a weapon that boosts super recharge, and armor that gives you super energy from grenade kills. My usual level 32 set is with the Obsidian Mind and . . . yeah . . . being a Warlock can be legit.

Sorry...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:58 (3282 days ago) @ Morpheus

100% of discussion is regarding PvP.
Brings PvE clip of specific scenario (large Thrall cluster)...

Well okay, then.

Sorry...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:16 (3282 days ago) @ Korny

100% of discussion is regarding PvP.
Brings PvE clip of specific scenario (large Thrall cluster)...

Well okay, then.

Who...in the balls...cares.

PvE, PvP, it doesn't matter--I will turn the whole damn world purple until you're just a black mark on the floor.

Sorry...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:21 (3282 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by iconicbanana, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:26

[image]

Note: Banana is significantly more handsome than Jason Alexander.

So, HotPF... Is amazing...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:18 (3282 days ago) @ Monochron

So far I have passed on this exotic but it appears that everyone else in the Destiny community disagrees with me. So this chest give you a better Radiance correct? You can throw grenades faster and use your melee ability faster? I wouldn't think that this was all that amazing considering that I don't spend much of my time playing in Radiance. Maybe if it made Radiance last longer, or made me tougher during it, or improved additional attributes I would want it.

So, why does everyone seem to say that this is one of the best (or THE best) Sunsinger exotic?

I made an in-depth analysis on the values and perks of HotPF, but basically, it enhances your cooldowns during radiance to a very significant degree, Allowing you to become a grenade-throwing monster. You really notice the difference when you don't have it...

That said, I used to wear it 24/7, but nowadays I only equip it once my Super is maxed, given my playstyle.

by Monochron, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:32 (3282 days ago) @ Korny

That said, I used to wear it 24/7, but nowadays I only equip it once my Super is maxed, given my playstyle.

Hhm, that's interesting. Right now I love relying on Voidfang Vestments to give me 2 grades on every spawn. If I were to switch to HotPF JUST for supers though . . . now that's interesting!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:36 (3282 days ago) @ Monochron

Hhm, that's interesting. Right now I love relying on Voidfang Vestments to give me 2 grades on every spawn. If I were to switch to HotPF JUST for supers though . . . now that's interesting!

Exactly what I do...

Voidfang, then swap to HotPF (and incendiary Firebolt if you have the time) as soon as Super is full.

They won't stand a chance.

So, HotPF...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:35 (3282 days ago) @ Monochron

I don't spend much of my time playing in Radiance.

Do you only save radiance for when you die? If so, you should try this chest plus radiant skin and use your super soon after it charges. You're tougher, you get flame shield with every melee, and you throw a ton of grenades. It's a great offensive weapon. Don't just use the super as a revive tool.

So, HotPF...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:36 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

Do you only save radiance for when you die? If so, you should try this chest plus radiant skin and use your super soon after it charges. You're tougher, you get flame shield with every melee, and you throw a ton of grenades. It's a great offensive weapon. Don't just use the super as a revive tool.

Or, if you're playing PvE, this is the time to use song of flame, and share with cooldown to spare.

Right. Whole team grenade monsters. Helpful on Ir yut

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 01, 2015, 12:44 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

So, HotPF...

by Monochron, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:04 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

Do you only save radiance for when you die?

Nah I meant statistically time spent in Radiance is much shorter than time spent in non-radiance. In PvE I save it mostly for dying but in PvP I'm much more liberal with it.

So, HotPF...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:08 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yep. Every once in a while I switch to self revive but mostly I fire up Radiant Skin and just wade in flinging and endless supply of Firebolt grenades.

So, HotPF...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:33 (3282 days ago) @ Monochron

I wish I had a clip of this. Once while playing the Crota raid, during the "mob cleanup" phase, a bunch of knights & acolytes were gathered on the left hand side, I popped my radiance & burninated the countryside, there was nowhere for those knights & acolytes to run, I generated a bajillion orbs. That was when I realized how cool the Heart of Praxic Fire is.

If you have coins to burn, buy hard light just for patrol.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:14 (3282 days ago) @ Funkmon

Why? Because it's fun! Plenty of bullets and upgradeable to be quite stable. It delivers lots of headshots, and it has the most 'space-marine' feel of any gun outside of suros, but with a less obnoxious sound.

There's also a long shot that someday they'll have the Raichu-patch, and high ROF AR's will be good somehow.

If you have coins to burn, buy hard light just for patrol.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:29 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

They will still never be good.

Made my night.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:32 (3282 days ago) @ unoudid

They will still never be good.

The best part of the night, by far:

-Unoudid tells Raichu High ROF AR's will never be good.
-Match begins.
-Raichu just. Goes. HAM. Leads team wire to wire and we win by 14k.
-Match ends.
-Raichu: "How about those high ROF AR's?"
-Unoudid: "They still suck."

Yeah, that was great

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:46 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I even had the most Assists!

Bravo team just couldn't realize that every time they struck me down I'd just rise again, more powerful than they could have ever imagined.

It's more fun to hear him swear that they already are :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:30 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Agreed

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:41 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It's definitely not the quickest kill time or anything, but the sound makes it very fun to use.

Agreed

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:47 (3282 days ago) @ stabbim

Where "not the quickest" is defined as "it will never kill and your enemies will feel perfectly safe." (At least in The Crucible.) :)

Agreed

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:49 (3282 days ago) @ Ragashingo
edited by iconicbanana, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:52

Where "not the quickest" is defined as "it will never kill and your enemies will feel perfectly safe." (At least in The Crucible.) :)

Oh sweet jesus, don't bring it into the crucible. This is just for fun on patrol. The only person you'll kill in the crucible with it is Ragashingo. I guess it was just that one time yesterday ;)

Oh yeah. I got a good laugh out of that. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 13:55 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Not Agreed

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:03 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by Mid7night, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:07

Oh sweet jesus, don't bring it into the crucible. This is just for fun on patrol. The only person you'll kill in the crucible with it is Ragashingo. I guess it was just that one time yesterday ;)

Well that's just plain not true. Maybe it's not for everyone, but if you spec it for its max stability it's pretty useful on more closed-in maps. The hard surface ricochets really come into play there, and it's good for getting fire on a guy quick to throw 'em off. I was actually switching between HL and MIDA (depending on map size) the last couple nights in IB and did quite alright.

Agreed

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:08 (3282 days ago) @ Mid7night

Well that's just plain not true. Maybe it's not for everyone, but if you spec it for its max stability it's pretty useful on more closed-in maps. The hard surface ricochets really come into play there, and it's good for getting fire on a guy quick to throw 'em off. I was actually switching between HL and MIDA (depending on map size) the last couple nights in IB and did quite alright.

Agreed, overall the auto rifle nerf is exaggerated. I get killed by Up For Anythings and For the Peoples pretty regularly in Crucible.

This is true. HL is good for specific situations.

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:08 (3282 days ago) @ Mid7night
edited by Funkmon, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:20

Also, if you get all headshots, it's one of the quickest TTKs in the game, but nobody will get all headshots.

However, the situations are better served by guns like The Last Word, in my opinion.

This is true. HL is good for specific situations.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 17:07 (3281 days ago) @ Funkmon

Also, if you get all headshots, it's one of the quickest TTKs in the game, but nobody will get all headshots.

However, the situations are better served by guns like The Last Word, in my opinion.

Which also has the lowest theoretical time to kill. 2 hip fire headshots :-)

I would never step on personal preference.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:10 (3282 days ago) @ Mid7night

If you can make high rof AR's work for you, I'd never discourage you from using them. Raichu has made them work for a long time, and if you can pair them with a sniper you like, they work very effectively against shotgun sliders (when you see them coming).

That said, I always encourage players who enjoy them to give Last Word a try, since that's basically a High ROF AR but with shotgun-sized stopping power.

I was mostly making a joke at Raga's expense, since he just bad mouthed Hard Light right after very vocally dying to one in an Iron Banner match last night.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 01, 2015, 14:55 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

If you can make high rof AR's work for you, I'd never discourage you from using them. Raichu has made them work for a long time, and if you can pair them with a sniper you like, they work very effectively against shotgun sliders (when you see them coming).

That said, I always encourage players who enjoy them to give Last Word a try, since that's basically a High ROF AR but with shotgun-sized stopping power.

I was mostly making a joke at Raga's expense, since he just bad mouthed Hard Light right after very vocally dying to one in an Iron Banner match last night.

That's the thing... it's not that Auto Rifles are "useless"... it's just that there isn't a single situation where they truly excel above all the other weapons. The best auto rifles often end up being "the 2nd best choice" in any given situation, which can make them feel well-rounded, yet underpowered in any 1-on-1 standoff.

I've been one of the loudest supporters of Suros Regime post-nerf, and I stand by my opinion: It is still a great gun. But, now that I'm finally starting to get the hang of Thorn and Hawkmoon, I doubt I'll ever go back to Suros (unless another balance tweak shakes things up).

So it's not that you can't go in to the crucible and do just fine with Hard Light, Suros, or a handful of other Auto Rifles... but I would argue that most people would do even better with a different weapon type, once they learn how to use it. Which is a shame, since I love auto rifles. And damn, Hard Light is a blast to use :)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:09 (3282 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I swore by auto rifles per-nerf and thought the Suros was the best thing ever. Unfortunately now it just can't hold up going against TLW or Thorn. It's still a great gun but the TTK is too slow for most encounters these days.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:11 (3282 days ago) @ unoudid

I swore by auto rifles per-nerf and thought the Suros was the best thing ever. Unfortunately now it just can't hold up going against TLW or Thorn.

Literally nothing can hold up to their TTKs unless you're talking about special or heavy weapons.

#nerfexoticprimaryhandcannons

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:12 (3282 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

#illnerfyourkneecaps

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:13 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:35 (3282 days ago) @ Xenos

I swore by auto rifles per-nerf and thought the Suros was the best thing ever. Unfortunately now it just can't hold up going against TLW or Thorn.

Literally nothing can hold up to their TTKs unless you're talking about special or heavy weapons.

I've played with and against TLW, Thorn, and Red Death during this Iron Banner. My experience with Red Death and Thorn on both sides of each gun has been that Red Death is slightly better, especially at mid range. TLW only wins out in very close ranges. I've noticed that Ref Death has saved me and my enemies from Thorn's poison. It's also easier to land headshots than with either hand cannon.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:37 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

I've played with and against TLW, Thorn, and Red Death during this Iron Banner. My experience with Red Death and Thorn on both sides of each gun has been that Red Death is slightly better, especially at mid range. TLW only wins out in very close ranges. I've noticed that Ref Death has saved me and my enemies from Thorn's poison. It's also easier to land headshots than with either hand cannon.

Weird; I feel like I land far more headshots with Thorn than Red Death. Don't know what's up with red death's reticule but I can never seem to land headshots with it. Is it less sticky? Like, less aim assist?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:48 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Weird; I feel like I land far more headshots with Thorn than Red Death. Don't know what's up with red death's reticule but I can never seem to land headshots with it. Is it less sticky? Like, less aim assist?

I was wondering the same thing. I definitely have a more difficult time landing headshots with Red Death, but it does keep me alive longer... which, ironically, makes it a lot easier to earn the headshot-spree medal, even though I find it more difficult to land the actual headshots.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:54 (3282 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was wondering the same thing. I definitely have a more difficult time landing headshots with Red Death, but it does keep me alive longer... which, ironically, makes it a lot easier to earn the headshot-spree medal, even though I find it more difficult to land the actual headshots.

Which is weird because I have no problem landing headshots with Red Death but can't land that many with Thorn. I swapped to Red Death when I was having trouble getting the headshot bounty and quickly finished it after that. Red Death is a headshot machine for me, and when I'm landing them people die really quick.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:58 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

Which is weird because I have no problem landing headshots with Red Death but can't land that many with Thorn. I swapped to Red Death when I was having trouble getting the headshot bounty and quickly finished it after that. Red Death is a headshot machine for me, and when I'm landing them people die really quick.

Hm. I generally have trouble just putting shots on target with Red Death. I've lost a few firefights with it where I'll fire four or five bursts an inch or two over the right shoulder of my target. Whereas with Thorn, I frequently two-headshot people.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 01, 2015, 16:05 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yeah, Red Death does feel a little more polarized than Thorn. If you can land headshots, it's SUPER powerful. But body shots feel a little week. Thorn will usually kill very quickly either way.

Thorn Headshot Kills

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 01, 2015, 16:10 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

These can be an issue because the poison will usually kill people unless you hit the third shot in the head.

Oh, for the bounty?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 16:11 (3282 days ago) @ unoudid

These can be an issue because the poison will usually kill people unless you hit the third shot in the head.

Do not care :) Banana plays crucible for the lulz.

Oh, for the bounty?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 01, 2015, 16:16 (3282 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Do not care :) Banana plays crucible for the lulz.

I just like to watch the world enemies burn

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 01, 2015, 15:47 (3282 days ago) @ bluerunner

You're absolutely right (in fact that's my preferred primary in Crucible at the moment) but the TTK for both Thorn and TLW is still technically shorter. I don't think that means they are overpowered (in fact most people miss one of the headshots with Thorn anyway which usually results in my winning the fight) but if you get someone skilled, Thorn is hard to beat.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 17:09 (3281 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So it's not that you can't go in to the crucible and do just fine with Hard Light, Suros, or a handful of other Auto Rifles... but I would argue that most people would do even better with a different weapon type, once they learn how to use it. Which is a shame, since I love auto rifles. And damn, Hard Light is a blast to use :)

Hard light would instantly improve if the bullets could ricochet off of walls. You could shoot around corners!

Xur: HotPF, Don't Touch Me, Ruin Wings, Hard Light, glove.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 01, 2015, 17:03 (3282 days ago) @ Funkmon

EDIT: all of these are so good, you should buy the armor even if you don't have a character of that class just in case you make one. No joke.

I no longer feel excited when Xur shows up, since the one thing I want he can't sell… :-(

Head will roll if I don't get a Hawkmoon before Trials.

Heads? Pff! Eyes maybe...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 01, 2015, 17:18 (3282 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, May 01, 2015, 21:01 (3282 days ago) @ Ragashingo

You have two weeks to get a Hawkmoon, Cody. You feeling lucky?

Punk?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 01, 2015, 21:02 (3282 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Dramatization.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 01, 2015, 21:13 (3282 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I no longer feel excited when Xur shows up, since the one thing I want he can't sell… :-(

Head[s] will roll if I don't get a Hawkmoon before Trials.

You could always try...appeasement...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 01, 2015, 22:37 (3282 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I mean... it worked for Chamberlain.

Yeah, Wilt scored TONS of baskets

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, May 01, 2015, 22:52 (3282 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread