Time to Kill in PvP and new Weapons in Expansions (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 07:01 (3275 days ago)

Here's a sort of fundamental problem with PvP in Destiny: The way to make new weapons in the expansions desirable for PvP is to make them better. That means faster Time to Kill, longer range, and more stability with quicker target acquisition. Which is a problem, since guns already have crazy fast TTKs. Less than 2 seconds in most cases, instantaneous in the case of shotguns, sniper rifle headshots, fusion rifles, and rocket launchers.

I'm concerned. RIght now the game is nearly tantamount to a round of who saw who first, and I haven't had an exciting duel with someone in ages (unless you count multiple spawn-spanning sniper duels).

Someone in an earlier thread suggested 3-5 second TTK, and I have to agree. You need time to react to being shot, find cover, and return fire. Right now I feel like "how did I die? Oh, okay, so there's a guy back there now. Great."

Keep in mind that I'm a player who is usually near the top of his rooms in PvP. It's becoming un-fun because all of the weapons are becoming practically OHK weapons. I'm afraid this will be getting even worse in HoW.

Time to Kill in PvP and new Weapons in Expansions

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 10:13 (3275 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Here's a sort of fundamental problem with PvP in Destiny: The way to make new weapons in the expansions desirable for PvP is to make them better. That means faster Time to Kill, longer range, and more stability with quicker target acquisition.

Disagree. I think cooler perks, new cool looking designs, different stat arrangements, ie ROF/Stabililty/Impact, make for desirability just a much. I know we saw some new perks in the twitch feed and new designs. Also the upgrade to 331 from 300 made us all move to newer weapons (which will be going away with ascendancy). For the competitive purist where TTK is the only thing you are concerned about, yes that will determine your weapon choice. But there are many of us who choose guns for many other reasons. I personally like auto rifles, even though they aren't nearly as good in terms of TTK as they were.

I'm concerned. RIght now the game is nearly tantamount to a round of who saw who first, and I haven't had an exciting duel with someone in ages (unless you count multiple spawn-spanning sniper duels).

I've had tons of battles where I was able to either duck for cover, or completely run away if caught off guard. I've also gotten really good at throwing suppression grenades which bounce like halo grenades around corners to catch a guy who is wounded when he runs from me. :) The only primary weapons that really wreck in TTK are The Last Word, Thorn, and Red Death. If I was solely concerned with TTK, I would choose one of these weapons above all else.

Someone in an earlier thread suggested 3-5 second TTK, and I have to agree. You need time to react to being shot, find cover, and return fire. Right now I feel like "how did I die? Oh, okay, so there's a guy back there now. Great."

That's just bonkers, If I have to shoot a guy that much, I might have to reload to finish him off. Halo had such a slow TTK in comparison and I realize how much better it is to get the jump on a guy and because you positioned better, you will most likely win the battle.

Also ever been BR'd and been like, WTF? Where did that come from?

Keep in mind that I'm a player who is usually near the top of his rooms in PvP. It's becoming un-fun because all of the weapons are becoming practically OHK weapons. I'm afraid this will be getting even worse in HoW.

HoW will not only be adding more variety in terms of armors and weapons to choose from, but also their perks combinations, and with ascending old legacy weapons, I can break that old shadow price out, although I know it's not a good at it used to be. Really wish I would have kept my old Swarm.

I <3 Swarm 4eva

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 10:59 (3275 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 16:21 (3274 days ago) @ red robber

That's just bonkers, If I have to shoot a guy that much, I might have to reload to finish him off. Halo had such a slow TTK in comparison and I realize how much better it is to get the jump on a guy and because you positioned better, you will most likely win the battle.

My issue with this idea is that your placement relative to the enemy in Destiny (or most other competitive FPS) is rarely under your control. More often than not, if an enemy gets the drop on me its because they spawned behind me, or I spawned in front of them. How is that fun or fair?

The great thing about Halo's TTK was that it rewarded skilled players, while also encouraging longer gunfights, more back and forth. There were plenty of ways for skilled players to score lightning-quick kills. BR Headshots, grenades, assassinations, sniper headshots, and many more. But the shields & body-shot damage was scaled in such a way that you could absorb a couple hits without being hopelessly behind in the battle. With Destiny, surviving a duel is extremely rare when playing against remotely competent players. If I take my Hawkmoon up against a player using Thorn, I can often just barely finish him off before he is able to bring me down... but now I'm within an inch of death. Odds are very high that one of his teammates will find me before my shields recharge, meaning my death is all but guaranteed.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing. I've played an loved lots of equally punishing shooters. It just doesn't provide the same kind of fun I've come to expect from a Bungie competitive multiplayer game.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 15:09 (3273 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My issue with this idea is that your placement relative to the enemy in Destiny (or most other competitive FPS) is rarely under your control. More often than not, if an enemy gets the drop on me its because they spawned behind me, or I spawned in front of them. How is that fun or fair?

I actually think Destiny's spawn mechanics are pretty solid. It's almost impossible to get spawns perfect in an FPS, but spawn camping hasn't really been something I've found to be problematic in Destiny's PvP (we'll see how that spawn locking fix works).

I think Destiny does an excellent job of allowing strategic play to stand up to skill play. If you use grenades and radar tactically, you can compete with enemies who shoot straighter than you. I've never been a particularly excellent skill player in any FPS; I was especially poor at Halo 2 BR play (probably the Halo I played the most PvP in). H2 really demanded skill play; if you missed shots in that, you lost 1v1's. I've missed my fair share of shots in Destiny (that trend hasn't changed), but damn if I can't seem to outplay a fair number of my opponents through strategic play.

Knowing what loadout to role on what map, what grenades to use, how to play the radar, when to be aggressive and when to play defensive: these are all ways to counter the short TTK on Destiny's best weapons in a skill player's hands.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 18:47 (3273 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The great thing about Halo's TTK was that it rewarded skilled players, while also encouraging longer gunfights, more back and forth. T

Also teamwork. We could call for help and actually have a hope of arriving in time to save a teammate.

Funny

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 19:12 (3273 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

My way of playing, and my living and dying, are pretty much the same in Destiny as they were in Reach, which was the one Halo I ever really played the online PvP of. Well, that and 4, I guess.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 12:52 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Destiny balances weapons by decreasing impact/damage as they increase rate of fire. That won't change. New weapons will still be on that sliding scale, and they won't kill people any faster. The archetypes that are used now will continue to be the ones that are used. They will have new perks, as RR suggested, and that will lead some players to use them, while others won't.

What will happen with HoW is more diversity in appearance. Both with armor and weapons, more new weapons and more ascended weapons will mean everybody stops looking so similar. That's primarily what you'll see in the HoW weapon experience. (JK everybody will just use TLW/Thorn)

Thorn for Life (until the nerf)

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:41 (3274 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

On the subject of exotic Handcannon nerfs.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 14:55 (3273 days ago) @ unoudid

I am baffled as to why it hasn't happened alreay. They nerfed the Suros twice when it was the king weed; the mythoclast received several tweaks before they found a good spot for it. Why have they waited so long on thorn and TLW?

On the subject of exotic Handcannon nerfs.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 17:26 (3273 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I am baffled as to why it hasn't happened alreay. They nerfed the Suros twice when it was the king weed; the mythoclast received several tweaks before they found a good spot for it. Why have they waited so long on thorn and TLW?

Short answer: Because they probably have MOUNDS of data telling them that - on the whole - Thorn and TLW are not as dominating as some "feel" they are. (and believe me, I definitely feel it often)

Longer...

You can't buy Thorn - it's a b*$%! to get (still haven't myself), so it's not in the same access-category as things you can just get dropped or pick up from Xûr.

Last Word, while quite potent in close encounters, has CRAP range and kicks like a bronco when fired full-auto; i.e. it's not a cinch to land every shot (not saying it's impossible, just not easy).

SUROS and the Vex on the other hand(s), are friggin' LASER BEAMS of easy-peezy death making. They're just not in the same category (literally and otherwise).

User-data has also probably shown that just as HC's began to see more use, players similarly quickly learned how to counter them. As opposed to SUROS, the solution to which was just "use a SUROS".

I'm curious

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 12:55 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

What weapons with faster TTKs came in with The Dark Below?

I mean, aside from No Land Beyond.

Nechrochasm.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 13:16 (3274 days ago) @ RaichuKFM
edited by Funkmon, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 13:20

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tTMPEAOhYplzPIA4B07pBhQ/htmlview#gid=0

However, this only establishes the quickest POSSIBLE TTK. Also, technically TDYD and WoC.

Good point

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 02, 2015, 13:17 (3274 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

We did get some new perks, though. I think the main appeal will be that weapons sold by vendors might already have the perks we're looking for, just like it happened to me with Secret Handshake.

It's not so much the "new" weapons as the weapon balances

by Kahzgul, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:16 (3274 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

They made TTK much faster since initial launch for all pulse rifles and hand cannons. Increased range on most shotguns. Un-nerfed Mythoclast (which is absurdly good now). Plus the game has been out for so long now that basically everyone has these weapons. But that's not what I'm discussing (though I do think current TTKs are too fast).

With all weapons upgradeable to the new max level, everyone still has these awesome weapons when it comes to Iron Banner. If Bungie wants me to use any different weapons, they need those weapons to be better in some way. For PvP purposes, TTK is pretty much the be-all, end-all stat. Want me to use the new weapons? Want people who don't own the expansion pack to buy it? Give them something they can't get anywhere else... Better guns and armor. Which, I'm afeared, means weapons with even faster TTK.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:27 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Here's a sort of fundamental problem with PvP in Destiny: The way to make new weapons in the expansions desirable for PvP is to make them better. That means faster Time to Kill, longer range, and more stability with quicker target acquisition. Which is a problem, since guns already have crazy fast TTKs. Less than 2 seconds in most cases, instantaneous in the case of shotguns, sniper rifle headshots, fusion rifles, and rocket launchers.

Heh - I had two counter-examples happen last night - both on Shores of Time (different matches).

The first, I was behind B's heavy, sniping into the tunnel, and a guy with Thorn caught me off-guard as he came out of the rotunda. I thought i was dead, but he decided that he could burn me to death - so rather than jump up onto my platform and fight it out directly, he did the rabbit thing, popping up, taking a shot, dropping back down. I managed to kill him after 3 pops before I died myself. ;)

The second was in the same area (just outside the rotunda) - I heard a golden gun pop from the sniping area above C, while I was on the other side of the giant pillar. I managed to keep the pillar between him and me (while avoiding shots from a third guy who wasn't very good) until the gun ran out. :)

Now, granted, in both cases a better player would have destroyed me - but I guess my point is, there are plenty of not-better players. :)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:31 (3274 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Man, I never get matched with those guys. Everyone in my games is either shotgun/blink, thorn, or mythoclast (this is maybe a slight exaggeration), and they all have Gjallerhorn heavies (this, sadly, is not an exaggeration at all. I don't know how that works, but dear god it's painful.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 16:11 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Man, I never get matched with those guys.

I was going to say the same thing... Only time I ever see players like that in matchmaking is when I get put on their team lol

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 16:39 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Man, I never get matched with those guys. Everyone in my games is either shotgun/blink, thorn, or mythoclast (this is maybe a slight exaggeration), and they all have Gjallerhorn heavies (this, sadly, is not an exaggeration at all. I don't know how that works, but dear god it's painful.

I see Gjallarhorn in PvP way less than I expected to; Mig rolls with one when I'm playing with him, but I don't often see them on the other team. I think most people would rather not waste an exotic slot on a weapon they only get to use 2-3 times in a match. (Mythoclast, though... ALL. THE. TIME.)

by Kahzgul, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 13:53 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Some of the guys in my games switch weapon loadouts when heavy ammo comes out. It's not unusual for me to be killed by a Mythoclast, then see heavy ammo come out, and then have the same guy kill me with a Gjallerhorn a few seconds later.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 14:51 (3273 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Some of the guys in my games switch weapon loadouts when heavy ammo comes out. It's not unusual for me to be killed by a Mythoclast, then see heavy ammo come out, and then have the same guy kill me with a Gjallerhorn a few seconds later.

I'm guessing that's going to happen to me a lot more once I switch off the 360. (Time to switch weapons on the 360 in-game can exceed 10-15 seconds; it's not really a feasible option unless you like taking an extra death for no reason. SOMETIMES I've done it before I auto-respawn - but usually I'm already back on the playing field by the time I'm out of the menu... and whether I'm alive or not depends entirely on how lucky my spawn was. So I do it as LITTLE as I possibly can, and it seems most other people on the platform are the same.)

On Xbone/PS4, though, this is feasible.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 14:57 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm guessing that's going to happen to me a lot more once I switch off the 360. (Time to switch weapons on the 360 in-game can exceed 10-15 seconds; it's not really a feasible option unless you like taking an extra death for no reason. SOMETIMES I've done it before I auto-respawn - but usually I'm already back on the playing field by the time I'm out of the menu... and whether I'm alive or not depends entirely on how lucky my spawn was. So I do it as LITTLE as I possibly can, and it seems most other people on the platform are the same.)

Back when heavy ammo stuck around longer post-death, you could pop it, leave it, switch when you died naturally and then come back for it. Anymore, though, you have to take some serious risk to switch that one out.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 15:40 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And exploitable. Pick up heavy ammo with field scout on a thunderlord, then switch to perfect balance. You keep the extra ammo, so you get the benefits of both perks :-)

15 seconds??? Good Christ.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 19:34 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How do people live at that speed? I get mad when my respawn timer makes me wait just 1 second before respawning me (of course, some times it makes me wait 30 because goddamn netcode).

I know, right?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 03, 2015, 19:48 (3273 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I used to just fiddle with my inventory during loading screens, so awful it was.

15 seconds??? Good Christ.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, May 03, 2015, 21:07 (3273 days ago) @ Kahzgul

How do people live at that speed? I get mad when my respawn timer makes me wait just 1 second before respawning me (of course, some times it makes me wait 30 because goddamn netcode).

It's only 5, really; after the five, you can respawn anytime you like, by pressing X. If, however, you let 10 MORE seconds go without touching anything, you respawn automatically.

(Maybe it's less than 5 for the manual respawn. I just know that it's 10 MORE for the auto one.)

I think he was talking about inventory loading time

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 03, 2015, 22:47 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Um... he mentions respawning twice in his response.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, May 04, 2015, 00:29 (3273 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I did mean load times

by Kahzgul, Monday, May 04, 2015, 05:46 (3273 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I only mentioned respawn timers because it's the only part of the game that really makes me wait when I feel like I should be playing.

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 05, 2015, 00:34 (3272 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I see Gjallarhorn in PvP way less than I expected to; Mig rolls with one when I'm playing with him, but I don't often see them on the other team. I think most people would rather not waste an exotic slot on a weapon they only get to use 2-3 times in a match. (Mythoclast, though... ALL. THE. TIME.)

Just did it for a maybe two week's worth of games to get a feel for it. But I have switched it up. That Jolder's Hammer -- oof!!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:30 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I definitely understand the concern (this is always a concern in games that have regular balance changes), but they will be aware of how their game will break if they do this. No primary weapon has gotten a lower TTK than the Last Word, and I would be shocked if they ever do give a gun a lower TTK. The most they will do is release other exotic primaries that can compete with the Last Word's TTK (or possibly even nerf the Last Word).

A game like this with constant additions and updates requires nerfs as well as buffs, which they have shown they are willing to do. If at some point in the future any gun type, or even an individual gun, proves to be THE best gun for any scenario then they will, as they've shown, make appropriate balance updates. The most I would be concerned with is there may be a patch or two worth of time where a gun or gun type is overpowered, but with enough outcry they will change it.

Edit: for those curious, exxtrooper from Reddit keeps a great spreadsheet up to date on weapon stats, including theoretical TTKs.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:32 (3274 days ago) @ Xenos

While I hope you're right, I don't know how they'll convince people to buy the xpac if there aren't better guns in it.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 15:36 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

While I hope you're right, I don't know how they'll convince people to buy the xpac if there aren't better guns in it.

Well, as much as people act like Thorn, TLW, and Red Death are the ONLY guns:

1. They aren't. I get killed regularly by legendary guns in Crucible, as well as the other exotics (Mythoclast, Bad Juju, and even MIDA).
2. Remember when Suros was king? The guns may be the best now, but they weren't always and they probably won't always be.

Also, how many people buy the expansions JUST for PvP purposes (which you admitted is your main point on the TTK argument). Other guns will outshine Thorn, TLW, and Red Death in PvE as they already do.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 16:42 (3274 days ago) @ Xenos

1. They aren't. I get killed regularly by legendary guns in Crucible, as well as the other exotics (Mythoclast, Bad Juju, and even MIDA).

Even MIDA? I see MIDA quite a bit these days (and die to it, too :) ).

2. Remember when Suros was king? The guns may be the best now, but they weren't always and they probably won't always be.

Heh - I got placed on a team last night with TWO people rocking Suros. That sound is so distinctive... it's freaky hearing it from different places at the same time. :)

(We crushed the competition. Decisive Victory.)

by Monochron, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 17:34 (3274 days ago) @ Xenos

Those 6 guns however are pretty much the only thing I die to now in Crucible.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 17:49 (3274 days ago) @ Monochron

Those 6 guns however are pretty much the only thing I die to now in Crucible.

Really? I've been killed by HMGs (everything from The Swarm to blues I don't even remember the name of) a WHOLE LOT in the last week or two. Lots and lots and lots of them.

Interestingly enough, whenever I switch from RL to HMG myself, my Heavy Weapon kills go way down; I'm usually taken out of the equation before I get a single kill. :)

by Monochron, Tuesday, May 05, 2015, 15:54 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Really? I've been killed by HMGs (everything from The Swarm to blues I don't even remember the name of) a WHOLE LOT in the last week or two. Lots and lots and lots of them.

True enough, he hadn't mentioned Heavy weapons so I just thought he was ignorning them. I have seen a pretty balanced percentage of HMGs vs Rocket Launchers, maybe a little more HGMs because of the bounty. I see a ton of Radegast's Fury though, and I'm super stoked that one just dropped for me :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 17:04 (3274 days ago) @ Kahzgul

New perks and new looks (I've got my eye on whatever gun looks like the Fallen flaming shotgun, for instance) mainly. What they didn't do last time was make a dramatically better gun than the first round of weapons! Which Exotic or Legendary from The Dark Below is superior to The Last Word, or Red Death, or Thorn? We either got things like The Devil You Don't which isn't as good, or Three Little Words which is more or less equal to the classic Fair and Square. I guess I see your fear as technically legitimate but historically unfounded.

Incorrect assumptions...

by Durandal, Saturday, May 02, 2015, 22:36 (3274 days ago) @ Ragashingo

There are only a handful of damage perks on any guns, like glass half full. Most perks rely on increasing range, stability or other attributes that don't directly influence TTK. In addition most PVP ignores ATK power, so higher ATK variants are not any better.

People will buy the guns for the look, or a different combination of the basic gun stats and perks. You don't have to make guns kill faster just to make them better.

New perks that open up new gameplay options will lure in people far more then faster TTKs. You don't have to get as crazy as Borderlands but I'm certain there are some options we could bring over to Destiny.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread