The Taken King (Destiny)

by TheGhostBrigade, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 12:31 (3302 days ago)

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/destinys-major-september-content-release-could-be-the-taken-king

Just noticed this on IGN, a new trademark filed in association with Destiny for "The Taken King." Looks like Comet now has a name.

The Taken King

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 12:36 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/06/destinys-major-september-content-release-could-be-the-taken-king

Just noticed this on IGN, a new trademark filed in association with Destiny for "The Taken King." Looks like Comet now has a name.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been any new major content for the Cabal... it seems like they are getting shafted for a major military operation. Maybe they just aren't mysterious enough?

The Taken King

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 12:48 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

The Taken King? Is the really the best they could come up with?

...Meh.

Crota(?) be all:

[image]

The Taken King

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 12:59 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

Interesting, if this is the Comet they didn't want to use "Plague of Darkness"

Questions from the workforce.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:01 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

Can't read IGN at work, are they sure the IP isn't a new raid or quest? Is it mostly just someone speculating on a new trademark?

Questions from the workforce.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:02 (3302 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Can't read IGN at work, are they sure the IP isn't a new raid or quest? Is it mostly just someone speculating on a new trademark?

I don't think the names of individual pieces of content have trademarks, they don't usually.

Gotcha.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:03 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

The Taken King

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:42 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

How much taking could the Taken King take in if the Taken King could take in taking?

The Taken King

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:45 (3302 days ago) @ petetheduck

[image]

Possible Hive overdose?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 13:44 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

Don't get me wrong, I'm super excited for the big "comet" expansion... New subclasses, new patrol zone, new missions and maps... dare I say it... new raid? Count me in.

I'm just a tad disappointed that the big expansion seems to be Hive themed, yet again. The writing has been on the wall for some time; Oryx comes up so frequently in the backstory and lore, it makes sense that we would face him at some point (I'm going out on a limb in my assumption that Oryx is "the Taken King", but I think it fits). It's just that I'm already suffering from Hive Burnout, thanks to the Dark Below. This is pure personal taste, but the Hive aesthetic just doesn't do it for me. I was hoping we'd move away from the pseudo-gothic architecture, "new" weapons & ships that are just existing models with ugly pieces of bone stuck to them, and armor that looks like rejections from the wardrobe department of the latest Tim Burton movie.

/snark

I'm being silly, but I think the Vex, Fallen , and Cabal are so much more visually interesting. I'd love to explore more spaces dedicated to their respective styles.

My favorite alien races...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:02 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm being silly, but I think the Vex, Fallen , and Cabal are so much more visually interesting. I'd love to explore more spaces dedicated to their respective styles.

1- Vex
2- Fallen
3- Hive
4- Cabal

Vex are fun to fight, they're aesthetics are ... pleasing, and their story is intriguing to me. Genre: Sci-Fi.
Fallen are fun to fight, but not as fun as the Vex. Their aesthetics are more pleasing than the Hive, their story is... do they have an intriguing backstory? They're kind of a blank for me. Genre: ?Post apocalyptic?
Hive are also fun to fight, maybe slightly more so than the Fallen, but they're just ugly and depressing to me. They do have a story with Crota and Oryx and all that. Genre: Zombie
Cabal aren't fun for me to fight. When I first saw the big hulking brutes with shields I was excited about dancing with them like the Hunters from Halo, but sadly it's just not the same. They just seem harder to fight than the other races, & I don't find them enjoyable to fight, fighting them feels like work & not fun. Mars isn't visually appealing to me, I don't go there for the beauty of it not that it isn't pretty, I just really prefer something more lush (link to mars concept art with the orange & yellow flowers, I want that on mars, alien, but pretty). Regarding their story/lore, they're much like the Fallen to me, they exist in the story, but for no good purpose. ?Genre: Space Turtles?

Maybe the Fallen/Cabal lack of purpose/story/lore/whatever is because we don't have raids to make them interesting to me, I dunno.

To sum up, I'm a little tired of the Hive, please give me a reason to love fighting the Cabal, I want a Fallen raid & development of their story.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:16 (3302 days ago) @ dogcow

?Genre: Space Turtles?

This made me laugh a lot more than it probably should :)

I think the reason I enjoy fighting the Cabal is because they are so different from the other factions. Even the "grunt" troops are physically imposing and intimidating. I love fighting the Phalanxes because they're like a combo of the Jackals and Brutes from Halo. There's a great rhythym to popping them in the hand, then swinging up for the headshot, just like the Jackals. But unlike the Jackals, you can't just run up and smush them with your melee... they'll bash you to a pulp :D

That being said, there are certain skulls that take all the fun out of fighting the Cabal. The one that stops them from flinching under fire is a real ball-buster.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:17 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That being said, there are certain skulls that take all the fun out of fighting the Cabal. The one that stops them from flinching under fire is a real ball-buster.

Try a shotgun my friend :) Universal Remote can almost one shot them when you shoot them in the hand, faster firing ones could probably take them out as well. Of course my favorite way is still to run up to them, dodge to the left from theirs wing and then shotgun/fusion them.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:20 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Only if you are playing them solo. That is what I like about the cabal, it takes tactics and the tactics change depending on different factors.

You should read or re-read the Grimoire cards for Cabal.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:29 (3302 days ago) @ dogcow

(Note: Rev also finds them boring to fight from gameplay perspective)

Though it wasn't touched much in the game (like all of Destiny's 'story') the cards do hint that there is something more to the Cabal, that hints there might be more behind their motivation to fight Humanity, or rather that they are fighting Humanity because of circumstance, not so much because 'evil' or because 'darkness' said so.

Rev likes:

1.) Hive (I also love the flood in Halo, go figure)

Evil because reasons fighting humanity because reasons. Ambiguous "darkness" overlord\force works for them, I guess. Space zombies. They fight the fallen because reasons? Aren't they all on the same "darkness" team? Whatever. Have yet to see them fight other races. They are my most favorite visually.

2.) Fallen

Remind me of Jackals from Halo, in that they seem to be more profiteering than malicious. They look like they experienced their own cataclysm and simply war with Humanity because they need what little we have so THEY can survive. Like their over dependence on machines. Fight the Hive because....reasons. Also fighting Vex, because reasons.

3.) Cabal

A military force that by appearance and discipline looks like it should either be BETTER than whatever Earth had or has left or on Par. Evenly matched opponents for Humanity. Grim cards hint (I think) that they have control of one of Mars' moons, could potentially launch it like a weapon. Shit. Also hints that they might be running FROM the Darkness, forced to fight by circumstance, like the Fallen. They fight the Vex too. War on at least two fronts that we know of. Tragically boring to fight in gameplay hinders their potential. They seem like they were developed LAST compared to the other races in game.

4.) Vex

Robot Zealots from the days of futures-past's-future-self-and-me-2000. Destiny's entire story may or may not end up being one giant simulation, in a sleeping robots mind. Someone jiggle the mouse, please. Enemies vary, they surprise you, overwhelm you with slow precision. They fight the Fallen and Cabal because skynet probably. They are my least favorite, probably because of repetition at this point.

The Fallen and Cabal seem like they might actually have complicated back stories and motivations that are more complex than just evil or mindless destruction.

The Hive and Vex on the other hand seem like evil for the sake of evil.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:36 (3302 days ago) @ Revenant1988

[the Hive] - Have yet to see them fight other races.

They fight the Fallen in the Cosmodrome in a movement against the enemy. They also fight the Fallen in the Devil's Lair.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:39 (3302 days ago) @ BeardFade

[the Hive] - Have yet to see them fight other races.

They fight the Fallen in the Cosmodrome in a movement against the enemy. They also fight the Fallen in the Devil's Lair.

Yeah I said that one sentence before. I'm referring to them fighting the Cabal & Vex.

They fight the fallen because reasons?

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:59 (3302 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Though it wasn't touched much in the game (like all of Destiny's 'story') the cards do hint that there is something more to the Cabal, that hints there might be more behind their motivation to fight Humanity, or rather that they are fighting Humanity because of circumstance, not so much because 'evil' or because 'darkness' said so.

Yeah, I probably should reread the grimoire on the Cabal. Like I said, I find the Vex & Hive more interesting story wise, and that's probably because of the raid & my researching of their lore/story.

Evil because reasons fighting humanity because reasons. Ambiguous "darkness" overlord\force works for them, I guess. Space zombies. They fight the fallen because reasons? Aren't they all on the same "darkness" team? Whatever. Have yet to see them fight other races. They are my most favorite visually.

Yeah, I'm not clear on why the fallen are fighting the hive, perhaps the hive are the reason the fallen are ... fallen? The Hive seem the most evil to me.

2.) Fallen

Remind me of Jackals from Halo, in that they seem to be more profiteering than malicious. They look like they experienced their own cataclysm and simply war with Humanity because they need what little we have so THEY can survive. Like their over dependence on machines. Fight the Hive because....reasons. Also fighting Vex, because reasons.

I suspect they fight the Vex because of the same reason they fight Humanity, to pillage & survive, steal technology, stuff like that. Again, I think they have a grudge with the Hive.

3.) Cabal

A military force that by appearance and discipline looks like it should either be BETTER than whatever Earth had or has left or on Par. Evenly matched opponents for Humanity. Grim cards hint (I think) that they have control of one of Mars' moons, could potentially launch it like a weapon. Shit. Also hints that they might be running FROM the Darkness, forced to fight by circumstance, like the Fallen. They fight the Vex too. War on at least two fronts that we know of. Tragically boring to fight in gameplay hinders their potential. They seem like they were developed LAST compared to the other races in game.

I've felt the motivation for the Cabal fighting was just basic conquest.

4.) Vex

Robot Zealots from the days of futures-past's-future-self-and-me-2000. Destiny's entire story may or may not end up being one giant simulation, in a sleeping robots mind. Someone jiggle the mouse, please. Enemies vary, they surprise you, overwhelm you with slow precision. They fight the Fallen and Cabal because skynet probably. They are my least favorite, probably because of repetition at this point.

I REALLY hope this isn't another matrix/simulation plot. I mean, it's cool in that it brings up the questions of reality & existence, but having this all be a simulation in a vex mind(s) will make all the battle seem pointless.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 16:10 (3302 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah, I probably should reread the grimoire on the Cabal. Like I said, I find the Vex & Hive more interesting story wise, and that's probably because of the raid & my researching of their lore/story.

Yeah, I'm not clear on why the fallen are fighting the hive, perhaps the hive are the reason the fallen are ... fallen? The Hive seem the most evil to me.

2.) Fallen

I suspect they fight the Vex because of the same reason they fight Humanity, to pillage & survive, steal technology, stuff like that. Again, I think they have a grudge with the Hive.

3.) Cabal

I've felt the motivation for the Cabal fighting was just basic conquest.

4.) Vex

I REALLY hope this isn't another matrix/simulation plot. I mean, it's cool in that it brings up the questions of reality & existence, but having this all be a simulation in a vex mind(s) will make all the battle seem pointless.

Oh yeah I agree- the Cabal ARE boring, VERY boring as they are right now. I'm just pointing out that there is more to them, but through other channels...for now.

Hive though? They are the only thing that seems bad for the sake of bad. Parasitic even. So I agree, they do feel like un-complicated bad guys.

Do remember the rumored size of the comet

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:13 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If the comet is as big as has been suggested, I doubt it will be completely Hive. I would imagine we're going to get a roughly equal amount of new content (as far as missions/strikes) for each race, but maybe the Raid is a Hive Raid. I can't imagine that 12 missions and 4 strikes (the numbers according to the leaked slide) would all be Hive themed.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:22 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

If the comet is as big as has been suggested, I doubt it will be completely Hive. I would imagine we're going to get a roughly equal amount of new content (as far as missions/strikes) for each race, but maybe the Raid is a Hive Raid. I can't imagine that 12 missions and 4 strikes (the numbers according to the leaked slide) would all be Hive themed.

You're totally right in terms of who we'll be fighting across these missions... but with the lone new location seemingly Hive themed, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of it. I'm sure the other factions will play into the expansion prominently enough, just in previously existing locations.

More questions from the workforce:

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:25 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You're totally right in terms of who we'll be fighting across these missions... but with the lone new location seemingly Hive themed, I think it's safe to say we'll see a lot of it. I'm sure the other factions will play into the expansion prominently enough, just in previously existing locations.

Again, do we have any evidence that this is Hive content or are we surmising it based on three words?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:26 (3302 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Again, do we have any evidence that this is Hive content or are we surmising it based on three words?

Mostly based on the three words, but the leaked slide from a long time ago shows that the new location will be a "Hive Ship"

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:28 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

Mostly based on the three words, but the leaked slide from a long time ago shows that the new location will be a "Hive Ship"

Also the logo that appears along with "The Taken King" certainly looks Hive-themed.

Hive Logo

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:27 (3302 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by BeardFade, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:37

The symbol associated with it looks rather Hive-ish.

[image]

That good old Bungie iconography.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:32 (3302 days ago) @ BeardFade

The symbol associated with it looks rather Hive-ish.

[image]

This actually explains a lot without actually explaining a lot.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:26 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

What I want to see is more interaction between the races. That can either be fighting or cooperation. There isn't much of a stance as to why they aren't fighting each other just as much as they are fighting us.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:27 (3302 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

What I want to see is more interaction between the races. That can either be fighting or cooperation. There isn't much of a stance as to why they aren't fighting each other just as much as they are fighting us.

That's actually why I thought Plague of Darkness was an interesting title, I thought it implied a certain amount of co-operation in this expansion (since they are all forces of the Darkness).

Possible Hive overdose?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:32 (3302 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree, I think they've focused a little too much on the Hive. According to past leaks the Comet release is supposed to take place on a large Hive ship. I'm just not picturing anything that could be greatly interesting about that. Why couldn't it be on a large Cabal ship? Given what we already know about the Hive any giant 'ship environment' is likely to be dark and rocky and close quarters, magnificent views of the outside space are not to be expected. Plus I always got the impression the Hive mostly get around by dimensional travel, rather then spacial. Since we only know a little bit about the Cabal I can see us getting introduced to large open tech environment that fit in with what's been constructed on Mars. No need to be dusty either, it can be rich in 'native' Cabal plant life--I'm picturing a giant domed archology full of trees and parks with large cabal buildings sprinkled throughout and surrounding. We already know the cabal can move moons, why not make one into a giant spaceship, big enough to do patrol missions on?

Possible Hive overdose?

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:36 (3302 days ago) @ CougRon

We already know the cabal can move moons, why not make one into a giant spaceship, big enough to do patrol missions on?

Sooooooo High Charity?

Possible Hive overdose?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:38 (3302 days ago) @ CougRon

For some reason I actually always imagined it being a human ship that had been overrun by Hive. Like the ship from the concept art:

[image]

...yes.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:42 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

Possible Hive overdose?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:45 (3302 days ago) @ Xenos

For some reason I actually always imagined it being a human ship that had been overrun by Hive. Like the ship from the concept art:

[image]

I think I would not mind a Human ship taken over by the Hive though I still think the Cabal would be better (mostly because they need more story.) Certainly I've been intrigued by the idea of going to that ship ever since I first saw the artwork.

King Charlemagne?

by Monochron, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:04 (3302 days ago) @ TheGhostBrigade

It would be great to see one of our enemies "Take" over "King" Charlemagne, the Warmind. That would give us some interesting story developments and possibly give us some characters to get behind. We have seen a little of Charlemagne's personality with the music playing in his mission, but I would love to see more.

Are Rasputin and Charlemagne the same AI?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:08 (3302 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

King Charlemagne?

by General Battuta, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:43 (3302 days ago) @ Monochron

Wait, 'Charlemagne' has a mission?

I thought the name Charlemagne just came from early Destiny marketing material.

No, you're right.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 14:48 (3302 days ago) @ General Battuta

There is so much misinformation and rampant speculation (bleeding into one another, of course) in this thread, I find it amusing. :)

No, you're right.

by Monochron, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:01 (3302 days ago) @ Beorn

There is so much misinformation and rampant speculation (bleeding into one another, of course) in this thread, I find it amusing. :)

I wouldn't call mixing up these names misinformation. It is certainly speculation though, as everything in this thread is.

No, you're right.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:07 (3302 days ago) @ Beorn

Isn't that exactly what forum threads are for? ;p

King Charlemagne?

by Monochron, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:01 (3302 days ago) @ General Battuta

Ah mixed up Rasputin and Charlemagne. Still would be cool to see Charlemagne involved.

King Charlemagne?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:12 (3302 days ago) @ General Battuta

No, that name was in an old version of the game, as reporters in 2013 explicitly mention going to Charlemagne's vault.

Yeah, he just mixed them up. Understandable.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:15 (3302 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Yeah, he just mixed them up. Understandable.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:39 (3302 days ago) @ Funkmon

Just goes to show how bad the story is when you confuse a character in the game for one that's not :-p

You're not wrong.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:53 (3302 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

#CodyWasNotWrong

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 15:54 (3302 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

What I mixed up was thinking that Charlemagn had personality

by Monochron, Thursday, May 07, 2015, 15:13 (3301 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I still think Charlemagne will be a "character" and we might go into his vault, but that's just random speculation. I'm just assuming that since Bungie has a small bit of lore around it, we'll use it later.

Does the AI in the PS4 exclusive Mars strike have a name?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 06, 2015, 18:56 (3302 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought a name was given but, of course, I haven't seen it in a while.

Does the AI in the PS4 exclusive Mars strike have a name?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 07, 2015, 14:21 (3301 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I thought a name was given but, of course, I haven't seen it in a while.

"Rasputin was protecting it." It being the Dust Palace, but the AI they are digging around in doesn't seem to be given a name.

King Charlemagne?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 07, 2015, 16:43 (3301 days ago) @ General Battuta

...shouldn't you know for sure already?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread