Exotic Concept: Lest Ye Be Judged (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 04:47 (3283 days ago)
edited by Korny, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 04:56

Lest Ye Be Judged (Titan Chest)

[image]
Light fuse...

• Intellect:158

• Auto Rifle Ammo- Increases the amount of Auto Rifle ammunition you can carry.
  • Scout Rifle Ammo- Increases the amount of Scout Rifle ammunition you can carry.
  • Wildcat Destabilization- Getting Killed by a Super or while under the effect of enemy Abilities will trigger a powerful explosion.

Tired of getting killed by "Panic Supers"? Want to make BladeDancers and FoH-ers think twice about killing you? This is the exotic for you...

What it does: Changes the way people approach their Supers on the battlefield once they're within a certain range. What this chest does is absorb energy (Light abilities being a major source of it, hence the flavor text) and convert it into a detonation upon death. It is also affected by passive abilities, such as the Ward of Dawn, Wizard Poison, PoE Web trap, and Radiance grenades. It also grants extra Auto Rifle and Scout Rifle ammo, as it's designed to be a somewhat lighter armor.

Why: I wanted to increase the importance of battlefield assessment, while toning down the dependency of "panic supers", as they can just as easily get you killed as well (Hence the name's reference to consequences of equal measure).
Similar to a Martyr grenade from CoD, this is intended to wrest some control of the situation from Enemies that kill you with a Super, giving them very little time to escape from the blast. This carries over to PvE, where players can turn debuffs into a less painful situation, if not an advantage. Caught in a Prison of Elders web? Your death could buy your teammates some time to get to you if you end up clearing the enemies that swarmed you. Killed by an FoH in Trials of Osiris? You could help your teammates out if the Titan didn't kill them too.

Aesthetics: First and foremost, I wanted to make a Titan armor with female characters in mind. Pretty much all existing Titan armor seems to have been designed for males, giving the females odd proportions. I wanted a more slimmed-down, but still unisex piece of armor that would appeal to both genders, and that's how I found an ideal design (I used Faora's armor from Man of Steel).
I didn't want it to catch Guardians off-guard, so I wanted it to have bright glowing lights on the chest and running down the back, and a shiny solar panel-like abdomen (to highlight the way it absorbs Light), so you can quickly identify it in the field.
If a player is being affected by a passive ability such as the Ward of dawn, the suit will start flashing and beeping, giving the enemy team a chance to react, even if they can't see the player.

Balance: The lights, shine, sounds, and need for a specific scenario help balance this armor. A player must die before the weapon has an effect on the field, and there is also a very small delay between death and detonation, allowing players that are far enough to survive the lethal range (about the same as a Ward of Dawn). Smart players can use this to scare Titans out of their bubbles, or chase away Blade Dancers, or make Warlocks panic when activating their Nova bomb/Radiance.

We definitely need armors that are designed with female characters in mind...

Very Cool!

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 05:04 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

I like that it keeps with the theme of Titans being up close bruisers and it's always good to have a counter to a super.

Despite being molded for a female, I can use the boob pockets to store my snack pack and car keys so they don't fly out during fists of havoc.

I like it. It would be highly situational though.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 05:37 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

A neat concept but probably overpowered.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 06:53 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

Supers, when used at the right time, are meant to be powerful but limited instant win buttons. Getting killed by a Super isn't (usually) a sign that you did something wrong but a sign that your enemy bided their time and did something right. Forcing an enemy into using a "Panic Super" should (usually) be regarded as a win for you and a loss for them since they probably won't be nuking your team at a control point or during the next heavy ammo drop.

Basically, I feel the Supers you are attempting to combat with this armor, namely Arc Blade, Fist of Havok, and Ward of Dawn, already have sufficient limitations and this armor's ability would effectively punish players using those Supers correctly.

Arc Blade has limitations?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 10:41 (3283 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Arc Blade has limitations?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 13:13 (3283 days ago) @ someotherguy

Arc Blade:

1. Leaves you stationary and vulnerable while it activates.
2. Has a fairly short duration that grows shorter as you use it.
3. Forces you to run through enemy fire to get kills.

Is Arc Blade powerful? Yes. Overpowered? Maybe a little. But I bet it quickly becomes useless as soon as you start turning down its duration or its mobility or its damage resistance. Any balance changes would have to be very carefully applied or else Arc Blade would turn into nothing more than a glitzy way to reduce your k/d.

Arc blade has limitations

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 13:27 (3283 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It's not even that hard to kill one, in the right environment, if they don't have healing going on.

They're really just a danger when they catch you by surprise, or when your team can't coordinate, I think?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 13:46 (3283 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

It's not even that hard to kill one, in the right environment, if they don't have healing going on.

They're really just a danger when they catch you by surprise, or when your team can't coordinate, I think?

Yeah I really think the man thing that needs to be balanced is that healing perk. It's fine for PvE, but way overpowered in PvP. "He's one shot! Oh, nvm he has Hungering Blade..."

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 16:19 (3283 days ago) @ Xenos

Maybe they could just replace that effect with a short term Overshield. The Blade Dancer would still gain additional "health" after each kill but those going against him would have more incentive to try and chip away at him in order to let their buddy finish him off... instead of getting the Hunter to 1% red health and then dying in vain.

Ship it.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 14:04 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Love it!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 14:06 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Holy sh*t

by yakaman, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 14:18 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

Lest Ye Be Judged (Titan Chest)

[image]
Light fuse...

• Intellect:158

• Auto Rifle Ammo- Increases the amount of Auto Rifle ammunition you can carry.
  • Scout Rifle Ammo- Increases the amount of Scout Rifle ammunition you can carry.
  • Wildcat Destabilization- Getting Killed by a Super or while under the effect of enemy Abilities will trigger a powerful explosion.

Tired of getting killed by "Panic Supers"? Want to make BladeDancers and FoH-ers think twice about killing you? This is the exotic for you...

What it does: Changes the way people approach their Supers on the battlefield once they're within a certain range. What this chest does is absorb energy (Light abilities being a major source of it, hence the flavor text) and convert it into a detonation upon death. It is also affected by passive abilities, such as the Ward of Dawn, Wizard Poison, PoE Web trap, and Radiance grenades. It also grants extra Auto Rifle and Scout Rifle ammo, as it's designed to be a somewhat lighter armor.

Why: I wanted to increase the importance of battlefield assessment, while toning down the dependency of "panic supers", as they can just as easily get you killed as well (Hence the name's reference to consequences of equal measure).
Similar to a Martyr grenade from CoD, this is intended to wrest some control of the situation from Enemies that kill you with a Super, giving them very little time to escape from the blast. This carries over to PvE, where players can turn debuffs into a less painful situation, if not an advantage. Caught in a Prison of Elders web? Your death could buy your teammates some time to get to you if you end up clearing the enemies that swarmed you. Killed by an FoH in Trials of Osiris? You could help your teammates out if the Titan didn't kill them too.

Aesthetics: First and foremost, I wanted to make a Titan armor with female characters in mind. Pretty much all existing Titan armor seems to have been designed for males, giving the females odd proportions. I wanted a more slimmed-down, but still unisex piece of armor that would appeal to both genders, and that's how I found an ideal design (I used Faora's armor from Man of Steel).
I didn't want it to catch Guardians off-guard, so I wanted it to have bright glowing lights on the chest and running down the back, and a shiny solar panel-like abdomen (to highlight the way it absorbs Light), so you can quickly identify it in the field.
If a player is being affected by a passive ability such as the Ward of dawn, the suit will start flashing and beeping, giving the enemy team a chance to react, even if they can't see the player.

Balance: The lights, shine, sounds, and need for a specific scenario help balance this armor. A player must die before the weapon has an effect on the field, and there is also a very small delay between death and detonation, allowing players that are far enough to survive the lethal range (about the same as a Ward of Dawn). Smart players can use this to scare Titans out of their bubbles, or chase away Blade Dancers, or make Warlocks panic when activating their Nova bomb/Radiance.

We definitely need armors that are designed with female characters in mind...

Jaw....floor. So cool, and the exotic ability is unique and worthwhile. So, I assume this would be activated under any super effect, even a bubble titan's effects?

Good point about panic supers...uh, I can neither confirm nor deny that I have may or may not have implemented this..erm, strategy once or twice.

I think the point is - think about your super. Use it wisely. It may not necessarily be the get out of jail free card it is today...

Holy sh*t

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 14:44 (3283 days ago) @ yakaman

I think the point is - think about your super. Use it wisely. It may not necessarily be the get out of jail free card it is today...

But you already have to think about when to use your Super. Supering that one guy who got the drop on you might save you one death now at the expense of not being able to stop the entire enemy team from picking up heavy ammo later. Your one panicked kill could easily translate into handing the enemy fifteen kills just a minute later. In most cases it is a success on your if you manage to bait an enemy into wasting their super on just you!

I also think this armor would be a huge blow to Defenders. They are already stuck in place, have to worry about incoming Supers, and now someone wearing this armor can just walk into their bubble at any time and win? Again, Supers are meant to be powerful and this armor would almost complete negate any advantage the Defender class has. I think this armor would potentially be overpowered vs Blade Dancers and almost game breaking vs Defenders.

Yeah

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 15:01 (3283 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Holy sh*t

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 15:03 (3283 days ago) @ Ragashingo

But you already have to think about when to use your Super. Supering that one guy who got the drop on you might save you one death now at the expense of not being able to stop the entire enemy team from picking up heavy ammo later. Your one panicked kill could easily translate into handing the enemy fifteen kills just a minute later. In most cases it is a success on your if you manage to bait an enemy into wasting their super on just you!

I also think this armor would be a huge blow to Defenders. They are already stuck in place, have to worry about incoming Supers, and now someone wearing this armor can just walk into their bubble at any time and win? Again, Supers are meant to be powerful and this armor would almost complete negate any advantage the Defender class has. I think this armor would potentially be overpowered vs Blade Dancers and almost game breaking vs Defenders.

The goal is to scare the Defenders out, and if anything, they have the best chance of survival against the explosion, since they can just kill the player and jump out of their bubble, letting it absorb the blast. A good BladeDancer might be able to survive the blast if they lunge away from it, since there is a tiny delay (maybe a quick chirping sound to warn them).

Either way, in my experience, being able to counter a Defender is a rare occurrence. The only way to counter it is with specific supers, and that makes it unique (and some would say overpowered) among supers. You don't become a helplessly stationary target, you become a wall that few things can topple. I can't tell you how many times I've run in, meleed and shotgunned the Titan facing away without even denting his shields, only to have him turn around and blow me away. Heck, I've stuck them with grenades, and that's not enough to pop their armor shield...

And the argument used most is "they're defenseless while inside!", but most times that I see a bubble, I see enemies protecting it, or poking their head out for a second to snipe, rocket, grenade, Thorn, or MG anyone approaching. With Armor, it's nigh impossible to kill a group inside a Bubble, so what if someone could rush in and sacrifice themselves to bring down the bubble and potentially the enemy team?
You remove the need to give up a Super to blow it up (which isn't even a guarantee, as I've hit bubbles with plenty of Nova bombs to little effect).

But as I said, the Defenders (and maybe even BladeDancers) have a solid chance of surviving if they're smart enough... What would be extra funny is if they survive, but accidentally get their teammate(s) blown up in the process... communication is key!

Holy sh*t

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 15:35 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

Either way, in my experience, being able to counter a Defender is a rare occurrence. The only way to counter it is with specific supers, and that makes it unique (and some would say overpowered) among supers. You don't become a helplessly stationary target, you become a wall that few things can topple. I can't tell you how many times I've run in, meleed and shotgunned the Titan facing away without even denting his shields, only to have him turn around and blow me away. Heck, I've stuck them with grenades, and that's not enough to pop their armor shield...

That's because it is a Super. Its job is to let them beat you. What class do you play? You talked about using Nova Bomb. Do you complain when you kill an enemy with your Nova Bomb? Would you like it if I dreamt up a piece of armor that always caused your Nova Bombs to reflect straight back at you or something?

And the argument used most is "they're defenseless while inside!", but most times that I see a bubble, I see enemies protecting it, or poking their head out for a second to snipe, rocket, grenade, Thorn, or MG anyone approaching. With Armor, it's nigh impossible to kill a group inside a Bubble, so what if someone could rush in and sacrifice themselves to bring down the bubble and potentially the enemy team?

Again, you're arguing against the entire point of the Ward of Dawn. It's job is to make one or more enemies a danger to you for a limited amount of time. But in return, they are, for the most part, limited to projecting that danger to a fairly small piece of the map and are a big glowing target for anyone with the appropriate Super, of which every Class has at least one.

Gunslingers don't care

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 16:45 (3283 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yes, I agree.

The whole point of a super is that it overpowered! This is balanced out by everybody else having supers, and it being of limited use. The only thing that should counter a super is another super, or just a really great play of some sort.

This doesn't really do anything worthwhile. If a titan panic smashes you, that's a win for your team, since he only killed one person with the super. If he dies, that doesn't change much. If the titan smashes 4 people at the heavy ammo box and dies due to this, they win because they denied you your heavy ammo.

Also, this makes gunslingers even more OP. Who cares if you explode if I'm golden gunning you from far away? This exotic is punishing the 'weakest' supers.

Gunslingers don't care

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 18:36 (3283 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, I agree.

The whole point of a super is that it overpowered! This is balanced out by everybody else having supers, and it being of limited use. The only thing that should counter a super is another super, or just a really great play of some sort.

Remember the old "shotgun to the face" quote? Bungie never intended for Supers to ONLY be vulnerable to other Supers. How many times have you seen a Gunslinger brought down by small arms when activating their super? How many times has Radiance been met with a shotgun blast? Supers are meant to be countered by skill and a pinch of luck, not just another Super.

This doesn't really do anything worthwhile. If a titan panic smashes you, that's a win for your team, since he only killed one person with the super. If he dies, that doesn't change much. If the titan smashes 4 people at the heavy ammo box and dies due to this, they win because they denied you your heavy ammo.

So you bounce from it being OP to it being pointless? Well okay then...

Also, this makes gunslingers even more OP. Who cares if you explode if I'm golden gunning you from far away? This exotic is punishing the 'weakest' supers.

Not affecting significantly doesn't automagicaly grant it more strength. Besides, all Supers (besides Defender) have a range variant of their attack. Voidwalkers have Lance, Titans and Blade Dancers have a Wave-based variant, and Warlocks have the Radiance grenades. Heck, the Defenders have Suppression grenades that can nullify abilities, so they can STILL negate supers against their bubbles. What if Suppression grenades could disable the explosion (EMP style)? That would add value to an underused grenade... Heck, if anything, a Defender with this chest would be even MORE powerful, because then you really wouldn't want to approach their bubble!

But back to Gunslinger: I've GG'd people at very close range, and if nothing else, you risk getting a teammate killed if you decide to kill an enemy that's too close to your teammate. You wouldn't like more variety and need for tactical observation in the game?

Gunslingers don't care

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 18:50 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

So you bounce from it being OP to it being pointless? Well okay then...

So you are arguing that using a Super on one person in a panic is just as useful as using it against an entire team? Cody Is Right.™ A Super can go from completely wasted (say you try to Fist of Havok someone but miss and go off the end of the map by mistake) to the most useful thing in the game (you take out an entire team just as they pick up the heavy ammo.) Either you're here to discuss or you're here to troll. Can't do both...

Not affecting significantly doesn't automagicaly grant it more strength. Besides, all Supers (besides Defender) have a range variant of their attack. Voidwalkers have Lance, Titans and Blade Dancers have a Wave-based variant, and Warlocks have the Radiance grenades. Heck, the Defenders have Suppression grenades that can nullify abilities, so they can STILL negate supers against their bubbles. What if Suppression grenades could disable the explosion (EMP style)? That would add value to an underused grenade... Heck, if anything, a Defender with this chest would be even MORE powerful, because then you really wouldn't want to approach their bubble!

Overpowered. That's what a Defender with this armor would be.

About those Suppression Grenades

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, May 10, 2015, 12:19 (3282 days ago) @ Korny

How do they work exactly?

I hit 3 Bladedancers with Suppression 'nades yesterday, and it completely stopped one in his tracks, but had no effect on the other two. What gives?

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, May 10, 2015, 13:45 (3282 days ago) @ someotherguy

I've been unable to stop a blade dancer at all strangely. Radiances and Golden Guns' no problem. Not sure if it a glitch or not.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:16 (3282 days ago) @ someotherguy

I hit 3 Bladedancers with Suppression 'nades yesterday, and it completely stopped one in his tracks, but had no effect on the other two. What gives?

You didn't actually hit the other two.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, May 10, 2015, 15:07 (3282 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You didn't actually hit the other two.

Yeah, the range is kind of weird for the Suppression field. I think Bungie should extend the Suppression range a bit to account for the bounciness.

I got damage numbers though?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 11, 2015, 00:02 (3281 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Does the suppression effect just have crazy-small range or something?

hahaha

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, May 09, 2015, 17:40 (3283 days ago) @ Korny

... you totally made an exotic that turns you into a grenade! I love it.

Frog Blast the Vent Core!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 11, 2015, 13:55 (3281 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Points!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, May 11, 2015, 18:53 (3281 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread