Kotaku talking about /raidsecrets. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 12:53 (3298 days ago)

Or... <_< >_> ... are they? *Bum bum bum*

Kotaku talking about /raidsecrets.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 13:58 (3298 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Oh boy. I've followed & commented in /r/raidsecrets... I'm convinced there are eggs to be found in the Vault, but not chests. But, why doesn't the director update after you've completed the raid on a given week, why does it still say "unknown rewards"?

Im realy interested in those blue orbs spawning from Oracles

by Monochron, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 14:41 (3298 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Like were they an effect that never got removed from the game or something? Maybe they are the "spirits" of the Oracles? But why would they only spawn when you are so close to death? Hhm...

Kotaku talking about /raidsecrets.

by DreadPirateWes, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:29 (3298 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Or... <_< >_> ... are they? *Bum bum bum*

A perfect example of why I no longer go to kotaku.

Destiny puzzles... cryptography, mystery, etc.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 15:45 (3298 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I ask this here because someone here might know.

Has there been any serious research into the possible puzzles in Destiny? I remember people decoding the covenant alphabet, decoding those funny looking covenant circles, the Chelsea Bridge puzzle (was that the Halo 2 ARG?), etc. There seems to be tons of opportunity for that in Destiny, but... I haven't found anyone looking into this, especially the Alpha-Lupi map! Is it not happening? Do I just not know about it being solved? I miss following people solving these things, and I miss reading the solutions themselves. All I've seen is some minor eggs such as the decoded hex in the UI (Be Dave, Alright Ok, etc) or text on a sign in Mars.

Maybe we're all just too torqed off at Master Rahool to do any of that investigation.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 16:54 (3298 days ago) @ dogcow

Maybe we're all just too torqed off at Master Rahool to do any of that investigation.

I think there might actually be something to this.

I was a HUGE Halo fan... but this many months after launch, I wasn't dedicated to running the missions in Halo on a regular basis. I found other ways to spend my time; Multiplayer of course, but I also got into messing around with Forge, making racetracks, taking screenshots... then the wonderful world of making machinima totally took over my life.

But with Destiny, I'm still full absorbed with playing "the game". Even at 620+ hours, I'm still running strikes, doing daily and weekly missions, running raids, etc. Clearly, there are people out there who have dedicated large amounts of time to hunting secrets. I just wonder if maybe the player base overall hasn't gotten distracted from the main game as quickly as we tented to with Halo.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 17:54 (3298 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think there might actually be something to this.

I was a HUGE Halo fan... but this many months after launch, I wasn't dedicated to running the missions in Halo on a regular basis. I found other ways to spend my time; Multiplayer of course, but I also got into messing around with Forge, making racetracks, taking screenshots... then the wonderful world of making machinima totally took over my life.

But with Destiny, I'm still full absorbed with playing "the game". Even at 620+ hours, I'm still running strikes, doing daily and weekly missions, running raids, etc. Clearly, there are people out there who have dedicated large amounts of time to hunting secrets. I just wonder if maybe the player base overall hasn't gotten distracted from the main game as quickly as we tented to with Halo.

I think for me it's the notion that there isn't anything to find. I feel like there's too much evidence that Destiny's story was lobotomized and cobbled together hastily afterwards to suggest that there's a bunch of purposefully hidden and carefully planned secrets to uncover- all those resources went towards furiously polishing what little story we have.

Imagine if instead of forcing you to go read everything from an external site, grimiore content was accessible throughout the game in the form of hidden terminals, interacting with Tower NPCs, or audio logs for the ghost fragments.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 18:35 (3298 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:25 (3298 days ago) @ CyberKN

Imagine if instead of forcing you to go read everything from an external site, grimiore content was accessible throughout the game in the form of hidden terminals, interacting with Tower NPCs, or audio logs for the ghost fragments.

So I'm going to play Devil's Advocate a bit here...

For a traditional, linear campaign mode, there is no doubt that everything on that list would be a vast improvement. People who wanted a strong 12-14 hour campaign would be much happier.

But the more I think about it, the more I believe the complete lack of in-depth narrative and backstory in Destiny is 100% intentional (not just the result of some last-minute reshuffling). The first mission is often used as an example of what many feel Destiny should have been like throughout; more cinematic, more setpieces, lots more dialog. It's a great mission, no doubt. Once or twice. But think about how many times we've replayed most of the story missions in Destiny at this point.

Bungie has always been hyper-conscious of the disparity within their player base between people who enjoy narrative and people who actively dislike having a lot of story "in the way" of the action. For better or worse, I believe Bungie made the conscious decision to cut as much "out of the way" of the action as they possibly could with Destiny. I think most of us would agree that they went too far in that direction, but every now and then I imagine what it would be like to replay missions similar to that intro mission on a regular basis, and I realize what a drag it would be. Even missions like The World's Grave, which starts by having the player scan cracks in the moon's surface, feels like a drag because it take a few extra minutes to get in to the actual action.

All that to say, I can understand why someone at Bungie might have thought it best to get all of that stuff out of the game, and put it somewhere where players who care about it can easily find it and dig through it. Does it make for strong storytelling? Absolutely not. But it also means that we can replay these strikes and missions dozens, even hundreds of times, because they are almost all uninterrupted wall-to-wall action.

I do think there is a way to achieve this while still telling an interesting story, but I think it would require a far more complex approach. Perhaps different tiers of missions: "Story" missions that are far more narrative focused, but replayed much less, and "combat" missions similar to what we have now; little or no narrative, light objectives, lots of action and high-replayability.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 19:36 (3298 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

So I'm going to play Devil's Advocate a bit here...

For a traditional, linear campaign mode, there is no doubt that everything on that list would be a vast improvement. People who wanted a strong 12-14 hour campaign would be much happier.

I think this is where you misunderstand me. I don't want terminals/audiologs to be part of the main narrative- it should be flavour text that we discover as we replay missions, or hear about and go looking for.

For instance, instead of finding a dead ghost, waking it, and getting a lower third banner that asks us to got to B.net, we immediately hear a recording of that ghost's last message.

Or you could be patrolling, discover that mysterious red box outside the VoG entrance, and activate it to read an Ishtar Collective research log about the Vex.

You're right, that would clearly be way better :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 20:06 (3298 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 14, 2015, 23:31 (3297 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Bungie has always been hyper-conscious of the disparity within their player base between people who enjoy narrative and people who actively dislike having a lot of story "in the way" of the action.

Halo CE did it right. You can play the missions, and ignore the story since the story is merely a context for the action. Very little story happens DURING the levels. You are not forced to watch scripted sequences that get old the 3rd time like in Valve's games. Instead, the action is the action, and the story colors that, but the major story happens when you get letterbox bars during cutscenes.

It is not a battle Bungie needed to lose; they've won it before.

The alternative, and perhaps better choice (but way harder), is to do what Deus Ex did.

Thanks for posting this!

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Wednesday, May 13, 2015, 18:20 (3298 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I now am able to eat up my remaining time at work with some good reading from this and subsequent articles!

Mystery hunts are always fascinating to me.

CC

(I DO believe that the Vault is still hiding -something-)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread