About to get SUPER pissed... (Destiny)

by GrimBrother One, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:33 (3272 days ago)

Went to Venus to collect stolen ship links. "Collected" them until the bounty complete popped, went back to the reef, nothing. Noticed that I had no room in my inventory, so apparently it didn't count. Nothing at the postmaster. Went back to Venus, nothing dropping from these Fallen fu*&&%@ers because it obviously thinks I got it already. Tried abandoning the bounty then picking it back up, still nothing dropping. Getting super fu398ing pissed. Obviously this is something that has to be done before BOE access can be granted.

Any thoughts?

Press 'A' to acknowledge the message.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:38 (3272 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

You get to Variks and get told to go to Petra right?

You press 'B' to dismiss the message then went to Petra, seeing nothing?

You did it wrong.

Press 'A' to acknowledge the message then go to Petra, next quest should be there.

Give her the old log out/log in.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:41 (3272 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

Clear extra space, check the postmaster, sign out of Destiny, sign back in. Just to be sure, play a different game in between. See if that works.

Good lord.

by GrimBrother One, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:46 (3272 days ago) @ Funkmon

Solved it.

By pressing A instead of B. Been a long day. I need a drink.

*BO comes through again. Miss you guys

<3
Grim

I can't believe unreal Chief predicted that you did that.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:48 (3272 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

- No text -

:)

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 02:53 (3272 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

It's my one UI gripe for HoW

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:17 (3271 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

I am generally enthusiastic about all of the UI changes in House of Wolves except for this one. The "Press A to Continue" interaction is definitely not obvious at first (even though the button prompts are buried in the bottom right corner), and I think it gets muddled by the fact that the first few interactions with Petra *appear* to have buttons, but they're just "here's your loot" indicators. Later interactions don't have anything in that spot, so when a "blank" screen pops up, it feels like you've missed something. I also hit B on that mission originally, but then tried A right after and everything clicked.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:20 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

I am generally enthusiastic about all of the UI changes in House of Wolves except for this one. The "Press A to Continue" interaction is definitely not obvious at first (even though the button prompts are buried in the bottom right corner), and I think it gets muddled by the fact that the first few interactions with Petra *appear* to have buttons, but they're just "here's your loot" indicators. Later interactions don't have anything in that spot, so when a "blank" screen pops up, it feels like you've missed something. I also hit B on that mission originally, but then tried A right after and everything clicked.

It screwed me up. I thought I hadn't finished after all and went all the way back to Venus. The game gives you icons when you get or give something, and then suddenly doesn't? Bad Bungie.

To be fair...

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:22 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

The prompt did tell us to press 'A' to acknowledge or 'B' to dismiss it for "later".

Shame on us, right?

To be fair...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:25 (3271 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

The prompt did tell us to press 'A' to acknowledge or 'B' to dismiss it for "later".

Shame on us, right?

The user is always right. :)

If there's no object there to do something with, I don't act on it, I consider the screen to be informational and dismiss. I'm saying the game has trained us to do a certain thing, but then changes up. Not good.

I think Destiny has a lot of UI issues, actually.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:36 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

White name on a pale yellow emblem background? Sure, why not.

While we're at it, let's just randomly sort your friends list instead of doing something sensible like alphabetical order.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:27 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Those are two, but the first one I chalk up to the art department more than the UI folks.

In general, I agree with this guy. It's very elegant--especially when compared to most MMOs.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:21 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

I feel like lots of the user experience is very slick, but isn't intuitive at all. When you go to the character menu, you don't start at the far left tab. Rather, you start one over from that. You have to go to orbit before you can go to the mission select screen (the "director"). To see your reputations, you have to mouse over a little pop down box. The vault is only accessible from social areas. The decisions about when to show you numbers (light level 24! Attack power 261!) vs. when not to (Increases weapon stability! slightly faster reload speed!) seem arbitrary and those numbers that are shown are presented without enough context. I still don't *know* what the interaction between attack power, character level, and armor value is. Also, why do monster levels in PvE work totally differently from player levels in PvP? Would it have been that hard to balance them? And why show me damage numbers at all when you refuse to show me total enemy HP? Oh, right - it's because you refuse to put DPS values in the game so without seeing my shot by shot damage ticks I'd never know if gun A was more effective than gun B.

Ugh, I could go on and on about this. It's all been said many times before, probably by me.

Heh. I don't have a problem with any of that.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:23 (3271 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:26 (3271 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm not sure what you mean about enemy levels working totally different than player levels... Even in Iron Banner: if the enemy (NPC or PC) is a higher level than you, you do less damage to them. If you are the same level as them or higher you do normal damage levels to them.

I agree with all of this.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:27 (3271 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Especially with the perk descriptions and numbers. Why wasn't everyone on the same page with this stuff?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:38 (3271 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I feel like lots of the user experience is very slick, but isn't intuitive at all. When you go to the character menu, you don't start at the far left tab. Rather, you start one over from that.

so?

You have to go to orbit before you can go to the mission select screen (the "director").

That's more of a structuring issue. Orbit is clearly the lobby, and either they can't find a way to eliminate the lobby or they don't want to.

To see your reputations, you have to mouse over a little pop down box.

What would you suggest?

The vault is only accessible from social areas.

I think this is a structuring thing too, having to do with what's loaded where and when.

The decisions about when to show you numbers (light level 24! Attack power 261!) vs. when not to (Increases weapon stability! slightly faster reload speed!) seem arbitrary and those numbers that are shown are presented without enough context. I still don't *know* what the interaction between attack power, character level, and armor value is. Also, why do monster levels in PvE work totally differently from player levels in PvP? Would it have been that hard to balance them? And why show me damage numbers at all when you refuse to show me total enemy HP? Oh, right - it's because you refuse to put DPS values in the game so without seeing my shot by shot damage ticks I'd never know if gun A was more effective than gun B.

I totally agree. What I'm getting increasingly annoyed by is perks that don't even show an increase or decrease in a bar, or even show the opposite of what their description says, so I don't even know what they actually do. I keep thinking they'll address it with the next update or the next one, but it's been 8 months and they haven't even acknowledged it.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:46 (3271 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I totally agree. What I'm getting increasingly annoyed by is perks that don't even show an increase or decrease in a bar, or even show the opposite of what their description says, so I don't even know what they actually do. I keep thinking they'll address it with the next update or the next one, but it's been 8 months and they haven't even acknowledged it.

That's because it is showing the difference between the perk you currently have selected and the one you're hovering over. So, if the perk you're hovering over has reduced recoil, yet the bar is showing it will have MORE recoil that's because the currently chosen perk has even less recoil than the one you're looking at.

My complaint is that when hovering over the first perk the descriptive text box obscures the bars.

Overall I'd say Candland and crew (Be Dave) did a pretty good job.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:12 (3271 days ago) @ dogcow

My complaint is that when hovering over the first perk the descriptive text box obscures the bars.

Hover downward from the top and it will usually reposition the tooltip below the cursor so it doesn't overlap the stats.

Hold Different

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:18 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, May 22, 2015, 15:03 (3270 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Hover downward from the top and it will usually reposition the tooltip below the cursor so it doesn't overlap the stats.

Oh, that, yeah those are really, really annoying, it takes precise positioning most of the time, and even then the cursor is always on screen and often it has to be over a bar for that bar to be visible. If it was a PC game you would (hopefully) be able to bring it up with a click and then move the cursor out of the way, and if they used a regular console selection system you wouldn't have to worry about it because things would always be placed for maximum visibility.
I pretty much stopped selecting the wrong thing and I don't really have issues getting to what I want any more, but the cursor system is still one of the biggest UI issues in Destiny.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:54 (3270 days ago) @ dogcow

That's because it is showing the difference between the perk you currently have selected and the one you're hovering over. So, if the perk you're hovering over has reduced recoil, yet the bar is showing it will have MORE recoil that's because the currently chosen perk has even less recoil than the one you're looking at.

That's not what I'm talking about, I know what those mean. I'm talking about a something that says, for example, "increased stability", and shows lower stability (red bar) than something that doesn't mention stability or says "decreased stability", and things that show no change to the bar when you hover on them. It's mostly sights, chokes, ballistics packages, and whatever else goes in first stack of three items that does this, but the "counterbalance" perk (IIRC) also never shows an increase in stability, whereas the "perfect balance" perk does. The sights etc. on exotics are especially egregious, there are cases of different ones with the same description and the same bars.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

^This.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:49 (3270 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I've learned not to mind it anymore, but it is jarring.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 22, 2015, 03:53 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's not totally random; it groups together fire teams.

To be fair...

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:33 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

They are doing such a good job of simplifying the currencies that it doesn't make sense to introduce a new mechanic to accept quests. My guess is that this quest line was made by a different design team that either didn't like the old way or didn't even know that they were doing something out of the ordinary.

To be fair...

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:15 (3271 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Shame on us, right?

It happened to me, too, when I played through.

When the same problem happens to a number of relatively experienced, non-stupid people, the problem is with the UI, not with the people.

To be fair...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:17 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

When the same problem happens to a number of relatively experienced, non-stupid people, the problem is with the UI, not with the people.

Yep. That's the first rule of usability testing. This was an unforced error.

Agreed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:24 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

To be fair...

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:27 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

Yep. That's the first rule of usability testing. This was an unforced error.

I think it's more like the issue with people complaining about engrams. It tells you what you can get for them when you hover on them, but people complained about it not rigidly following a color code. Bungie changed it because, yes, results are more important and what users actually do is more important-- but that doesn't mean they were right. (That said I do think legendary engrams should give legendary items most of the time, if not almost all of the time or all the time.) People continue to complain about legendary and exotic engrams giving stuff for random classes despite it telling you that too, and Bungie appears to have not changed that.
That said, having something to accept sounds like it would be better and fix this, I just can't see it as being very reasonable to complain when there is explanatory text associated with the buttons and it's brief and not hidden.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:10 (3271 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I didn't say anything about engrams. This was about completing quests.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:21 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

I think what he was saying was "Bungie changed the behavior of the engrams because of public pressure, even though the original setup didn't really violate any UI guidelines - I see this situation as the same sort of thing: there's nothing technically wrong with what they did, it's obviously user error, but they might change it just BECAUSE people aren't reading the instructions."

(With a value judgement that this is weakness on Bungie's part, of course. :) )

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:59 (3270 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I think what he was saying was "Bungie changed the behavior of the engrams because of public pressure, even though the original setup didn't really violate any UI guidelines - I see this situation as the same sort of thing: there's nothing technically wrong with what they did, it's obviously user error, but they might change it just BECAUSE people aren't reading the instructions."

yes

(With a value judgement that this is weakness on Bungie's part, of course. :) )

I'm not saying they were wrong, usability and player satisfaction should come first and I think purple engrams should give purple items most of the time, I'm just saying the complaint about being inconsistent wasn't the smartest complaint because it was spelled out what you can get

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 22, 2015, 17:40 (3270 days ago) @ General Vagueness

While true, it did tell you, Purples are so rare that getting one and then having it turn into a Blue was disappointing. The way it is now, where a Blue can only be a blue or better is a far more player friendly way of doing things. Plus, instead of a chance for disappointment, now there is only a chance for delight! All in all it was the right change to make.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:34 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

It screwed me up. I thought I hadn't finished after all and went all the way back to Venus. The game gives you icons when you get or give something, and then suddenly doesn't? Bad Bungie.

Why would you even press B though? B is cancel, B is for stuff you don't want, this goes back to original Xbox days.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:50 (3271 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Why would you even press B though? B is cancel, B is for stuff you don't want, this goes back to original Xbox days.

Because every other quest prompt in Destiny has had us pressing A while hovering over a specific bounty/reward icon.

This is like asking a PC user to just click anywhere on the screen to close a dialog box.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:57 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Because every other quest prompt in Destiny has had us pressing A while hovering over a specific bounty/reward icon.

This is like asking a PC user to just click anywhere on the screen to close a dialog box.

No, it's like you pressing the 'X' in the corner to close a dialog box with 'OK' in it.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:01 (3271 days ago) @ ZackDark

No, it's like you pressing the 'X' in the corner to close a dialog box with 'OK' in it.

Except the "OK" button is hidden away in the bottom of the screen where we haven't checked in months because we became used to doing these things a certain way without constantly checking the tool-tips.

Seriously, where else in Destiny does anything function like this?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:42 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Seriously, where else in Destiny does anything function like this?

Yeah, it's jarring. Just pointing out the analogy wasn't valid, really.

Weird thing is, most of the "message" prompts appear very close to the middle of the screen, except for vendor screen.

This thread has made me feel less stupid.

by GrimBrother One, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:08 (3271 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

Not smart, mind you... but less stupid.

Hey... you...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:10 (3271 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

I miss seeing you name on these boards <3

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:24 (3271 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

I'd worry a lot if ANY thread made ANYONE feel 'smart'. (Smarter, maybe... but I can't actually think of a thread that would be broad enough in its content to legitimately let anyone feel 'smart'. :) )

BRB, starting astrophysics mega-thread

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:59 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Won't help.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:22 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I know tons of astrophysicists that aren't smart. :)

('Smart' requires a broadness of skills that simply can't be captured in a single thread.)

^smart post

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:24 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

icwydt

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:35 (3271 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I only know three astrophysicists personally.

by Funkmon @, Friday, May 22, 2015, 12:58 (3270 days ago) @ Claude Errera

How do you know TONS? This is a serious question. I know one at my former university doing research on black holes, zero at my current (they're just astronomers or physicists), one from University of Michigan, and one who technically does geophysics but on other planets. I hover around astronomy circles, am a member of a few astronomy organizations, and still am only well acquainted with three.

I'm talking real people who got an astrophysics PhD or do actual astrophysics research. For example, a friend of mine got her BS in astrophysics, but has a PhD in astronomy and teaches astronomy. She is not an astrophysicist, and calls herself an astronomer.

Those real astrophysicists are exceedingly rare. As in, I bet in the US there's maybe a thousand.

Are our definitions different, or do you have a life where you actually know lots of astrophysicists? If the latter, please tell me how!

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 22, 2015, 19:37 (3270 days ago) @ Funkmon

How do you know TONS? This is a serious question. I know one at my former university doing research on black holes, zero at my current (they're just astronomers or physicists), one from University of Michigan, and one who technically does geophysics but on other planets. I hover around astronomy circles, am a member of a few astronomy organizations, and still am only well acquainted with three.

I'm talking real people who got an astrophysics PhD or do actual astrophysics research. For example, a friend of mine got her BS in astrophysics, but has a PhD in astronomy and teaches astronomy. She is not an astrophysicist, and calls herself an astronomer.

Those real astrophysicists are exceedingly rare. As in, I bet in the US there's maybe a thousand.

Are our definitions different, or do you have a life where you actually know lots of astrophysicists? If the latter, please tell me how!

lol - 'tons' might be an exaggeration. I knew a few in college (I was a physics major, my advisor specialized in high-energy physics, dabbled in astrophysics, some of his buddies were pure astrophysics folks). I have no clue what their degrees were in - I just knew what they taught. (I also knew a bunch of students studying astrophysics - but they were mostly undergrads, so I guess they don't meet your criteria.)

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 22, 2015, 20:51 (3270 days ago) @ Funkmon

We had one working on our farm in Arkansas for a while. He was a retired astrophysicist from Colorado. His wife was still working and apparently making good money, so he just wanted something "manly" to do. He would come out and clear fence rows for us.

I love this forum. ◕‿◕

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 22, 2015, 21:03 (3270 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 22, 2015, 21:10 (3270 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'd worry a lot if ANY thread made ANYONE feel 'smart'. (Smarter, maybe... but I can't actually think of a thread that would be broad enough in its content to legitimately let anyone feel 'smart'. :) )

Well...uh... there is always my posts. Right? *what have I just done * ._.

;P

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread