Prison of Elders Impressions (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 06:05 (3271 days ago)

Just wanted to say a few things about the new PoE mode.

First of all, I typically love survival/horde modes. I was a huge fan of Horde in Gears of War 2&3, and ODST Firefight was a blast. So I went in to PoE expecting to have a good time.

I've run through PoE several times now: level 28 and 32 twice each (as a 32 Guardian) and I just now finished a level 34 run as a 33 guardian.
I did the 34 run just now with Cyber and Vortech. I had a good time as always, because they're both lots of fun to play with. But when I think about the experience of PoE itself, my first thought is "I don't want to do that ever again".

I think all great horde modes have 1 thing in common: they give your team the opportunity to fortify a location against incoming waves of foes. This is 99% an issue of map design and enemy spawn locations. Your team should have the ability to find a spot on the map and say "this is our base, let's lock it down". In a well designed map, these defendable zones are never bulletproof, but they offer a geometry layout that gives the player the ability to take cover, move around, react to flanking maneuvers, etc.

The arenas in PoE offer almost none of this. It's just messy chaos, all the time. There are very few positions that are in any way defendable, and the ones that are quickly devolve into the worst form of Halo/Halo 2 camping routines (you know, those battles where you spend the entire time crouching behind a box, moving an inch to take a shot, almost dying, move an inch back, repeat).

Adding to the mess is that enemies will sometimes spawn right smack in the middle of the arena. During a round against the Fallen, I took position on top of a large platform near the center. Not perfectly safe, but some decent cover and sightlines. Just as I though "let's see if I can make this work", a captain, 2 dregs and a servitor spawned directly on top of me.

The best horde modes reward teams for coming up with tactical formations and strategies, and allow room for improvement of execution (very much like raids in that regard). Playing on higher difficulty settings should feel challenging, but not limiting. The most coordination PoE really allows on higher difficulty settings is "everyone get in the bubble now".

I'm sure some people will love PoE, but for me it is a huge miss. The fact that PoE is all we have for top-level PvE content really bums me out. I thought I'd be ok with no new raid until Comet, but now I'm not so sure. Which is a shame. I really enjoyed the rest of the House of Wolves content (aside from Trials of Osiris... no interest in that, personally). I got my Fatebringer upgraded, and... Well I don't really want to play it anymore to upgrade anything else.

I guess this is how none-raiders have felt since launch? ;)

Prison of Elders Impressions

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 06:21 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I guess this is how none-raiders have felt since launch? ;)

My experience was significantly more positive, I guess? I found it rather easy, almost like doing a strike playlist or something. We did find our corners on lvl 34. I didn't think "I don't want to ever do that again", but more like "I guess I could do that again, but I'd rather do a raid".

Either way I think you are right, and unlike the raid, this is not worth playing without rewards. There will be no flawless Prison of Elders team.

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 07:40 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Either way I think you are right, and unlike the raid, this is not worth playing without rewards. There will be no flawless Prison of Elders team.

I'd join the flawless team(!) even though I agree with almost everything cruel said. The best defense in PoE is offense. Rockets rockets rockets!!! My least favorite thing (so far) is the infinite spawning enemies at the boss. Or at least I think they spawn infinitely... we killed the boss eventually and didn't wait eternity to verify level design.

I also tend to like bungie's giant levels the best. Sadly, PoE has no sweeping vistas. Tangent, it's late and my brain is stuck imagining "sweeping vistas" -- dancing windows vista logos holding the brooms in Fantasia.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:10 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I found it rather easy, almost like doing a strike playlist or something.

Ironically, I think several of the strikes handle Horde-style design far better than Prison of Elders. The first main room in the Sepik's Prime strike, the locked door in the first moon strike, the Cinders during the Archon Priest strike, Psyon Flayer battle on Mars... Even the indoor Devil Walker battle in the new HoW strike. They all have several defendable vantage points that a team can attempt to lock down together, with fallback options if they get overwhelmed. Bungie clearly knows how to design great wave/survival based encounters, which is why I'm so surprised that the PoE arenas are this bad.

We did find our corners on lvl 34.

Cyber, Vortech and I spent about 90% of our 34 run off in our own corners, because that was the only way we could each find a tiny bit of cover without being sitting ducks against the entire flood of enemies. In Gears or ODST, the trick was to find a point on the map that you could hold as a group, that also forced the enemy to split up and approach you across several different lanes. So your team would still be split up dividing the enemy forces, but within 1 area so you could switch or rotate if 1 lane gets overrun. It feels far more team-focused than PoE.

I didn't think "I don't want to ever do that again", but more like "I guess I could do that again, but I'd rather do a raid.

I'm sure I will end up doing it again, too... Plenty of times. As I said, I still had a good time because I was playing with friends, and Destiny combat is great. But I doubt I'll ever be the one to suggest playing PoE. Take the rewards out of the equation and I'd rather do any other activity in Destiny.

Its what I have been wanting

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 09:47 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I agree with most of your statements. I too enjoy horde mode (when rewards are involved). I However enjoy the fact that there is almost no where to hide. I grew bored of the mechanics of the raids. I have said it many times as you have definitely heard, I just got tired of going through numbers. There is little to no VARIATION in the Raids. It makes you feel like a robot, to the point where I am playing but not really thinking.

Prison of Elders changed that. Its chaos, its random, its challenging.

I was playing with mad_stylus (sp) and Ottermack last night on the lvl 32 one for the first time. HAD A BLAST. At one point Ottermack and I were down against the final boss. and we were able to direct mad stylus to safety and to direct us, all on our toes. JUST WIPE WAS NEVER MENTIONED! We WANTED to keep going, and we COULD keep going. Not just oh well lets try again. I mean sure we could have no problem. But the fact that 2/3 were down and we could still have a chance of winning. In the raids if 3/6 are dead you are pretty much done unless you are close.

Cant wait to play tonight! Hit 33 yesterday, felt good, and felt like I actually did something.

Also I LOVE fact that you get the armor cores and weapon cores. YOU GET IT. not a chance at a drop. YOU GET IT. None of that doing 5 raids and getting 1 gear drop.

I think bungie was appealing to me, and made alot of great changes. This has definitely brought me back for the time being.

Its what I have been wanting

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 10:17 (3271 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I agree with most of your statements. I too enjoy horde mode (when rewards are involved). I However enjoy the fact that there is almost no where to hide. I grew bored of the mechanics of the raids. I have said it many times as you have definitely heard, I just got tired of going through numbers. There is little to no VARIATION in the Raids. It makes you feel like a robot, to the point where I am playing but not really thinking.

I think a big part of why Raids click with me so much is that they click with the same part of my brain that loved learning and running plays back when I was on my highschool basketball team. The variation in the raids comes from what your team is able to do: can you find a better formation, can you execute better, faster, more efficiently.

Prison of Elders changed that. Its chaos, its random, its challenging.

It is indeed all of those things :)

For me, it's "random" but in a way that makes it feel exactly the same each time. You can never really prepare for what's coming beyond finding your safe corner to start in. There's very little learning curve. I felt like I was just going through the motions by my 3rd run, compared to the 50+ times I've run each raid, and I'm still coming up with new tricks every single time :)

by Monochron, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 12:36 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Your team should have the ability to find a spot on the map and say "this is our base, let's lock it down". In a well designed map, these defendable zones are never bulletproof, but they offer a geometry layout that gives the player the ability to take cover, move around, react to flanking maneuvers, etc.

The arenas in PoE offer almost none of this. It's just messy chaos, all the time. There are very few positions that are in any way defendable, and the ones that are quickly devolve into the worst form of Halo/Halo 2 camping routines (you know, those battles where you spend the entire time crouching behind a box, moving an inch to take a shot, almost dying, move an inch back, repeat).

As far as I can tell, Bungie did not design PoE to be played that way. Because if you hold down a certain position without venturing far enough away from it, you get teleported. As far as I can tell it requires and entirely different play style as other horde modes. The only viable strategy I have seen so far is "lock down that bubble and be careful when you teleport", but I bet there are others.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 12:47 (3271 days ago) @ Monochron

Wut?

I've played through twice and haven't been teleported at all during combat. Admittedly, I don't think anyone I was with in those games was trying to stay put, so maybe we didn't trigger whatever-it-is. But it sounds like Cody's group was trying to do exactly that, and he didn't mention any teleporting (which I would think would have been a major annoyance for them if it had happened).

It does teleport you if you stay in the airlock too long at the beginning of a round, or if you don't return to the airlock after a round.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:14 (3271 days ago) @ stabbim

It does teleport you if you stay in the airlock too long at the beginning of a round, or if you don't return to the airlock after a round.

Nobody was teleported at all. I think it only happens if you are not actually in the arena, and in the airlock.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:21 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nobody was teleported at all. I think it only happens if you are not actually in the arena, and in the airlock.

This line of reasoning doesn't really help. Not being teleported while in the arena in all your playing time does not prove that you cannot be teleported in the arena. It only means you haven't incurred the conditions necessary for teleportation in the arena if it does, indeed, occur.

*Scientific Process fistbump*

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 00:25 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

No one ever understands null hypotheses. Particularly why they're called that.

My bromance for you continues, thatalsodude.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 00:42 (3271 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:24 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I have been teleported while in the arena and not in the airlock. I was hiding in a corner trying to pop a heavy ammo synth when I got teleported.

Same. Can strategically force a teleport, too.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:07 (3271 days ago) @ unoudid

- No text -

by Monochron, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 23:28 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, it happens if you in the area as well. It has happened to me once and I have seen it happen to multiple people in videos. I'm surprised it isn't more common. it triggered on me when I was still moving around a bit but hanging mostly inside a bubble.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 12:49 (3271 days ago) @ Monochron

Weird. I've never been teleported and I've held down a few spots. Maybe I'm moving just enough to not be considered camping?

You busy tonight?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 12:49 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Chaos and I wanted to take a shot at 34 around 5pm pst, if you were free.

Betrayal

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:02 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Just kidding.

I'm game if you need help. My warlock is ready for level 34. I'll be doing level 28/32 on my Titan and level 32 on my Hunter otherwise.

Ha!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:04 (3271 days ago) @ unoudid

If raga can't make it hop on in. We did the 32 with him so we thought we'd give him first dibs.

You busy tonight?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:15 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

A little early. Kinda falls into my dinner time. I'd be interested in trying but feel free to pull someone else in if I'm not online yet. :)

Might run it twice tonight, so will do.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:16 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

You only get teleported if you're AFK, I believe.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 13:09 (3271 days ago) @ Monochron

- No text -

Not sure about that

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:23 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There are a few "hot spots" that seem to trigger teleports reliably. We were in the Hive room yesterday morning and a few Wizards, an Ogre, and a ton of Thrall all bum-rushed us at our defense spot. We were getting overwhelmed and one of our Guardians knew about a teleport spot behind us and ran over to it, waited a few seconds, and teleported to safety across the room.

He accidentally triggered it again later and it dropped him on top of the boss, who summarily stomped him to death. He definitely wasn't AFK for either of these instances, but I *do* think he was standing still for a few moments.

Not sure about that

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:26 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

I was teleported while in menu waiting to pop a heavy ammo synth. Talk about a rude awakening. I had about 8 seconds left on cool down and I just waited in menu since the load times suck on the 360.

Not sure about that

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:28 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

Interesting... We never ran in to that during our runs last night. Only teleportations we found were when people idled in the airlock area for too long.

Not sure about that

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:39 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Interesting... We never ran in to that during our runs last night. Only teleportations we found were when people idled in the airlock area for too long.

I saw Vortech get teleported the first time we were in the Hive arena, actually. He wasn't AFK, but he'd only moved about 3 feet over the last 20 seconds.

Not sure about that

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:50 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

He accidentally triggered it again later and it dropped him on top of the boss, who summarily stomped him to death. He definitely wasn't AFK for either of these instances, but I *do* think he was standing still for a few moments.

This happened to Lawnmower twice last night, though he was able to avoid getting curb stomped on his second trip.

Finding these teleport spots could be pretty useful, both for quick escapes and avoiding unintentional face-to-face meetings with the boss.

-Disciple

Nah it will teleport you out into the open if you are campin

by Monochron, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 23:29 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Honestly I found it more interesting than most horde modes.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 12:41 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think all great horde modes have 1 thing in common: they give your team the opportunity to fortify a location against incoming waves of foes....The arenas in PoE offer almost none of this. It's just messy chaos, all the time.

There's method to that madness. Running around ninja reviving Raga and Chaossociety, or using cloak to flank around enemies to draw enemies away from the rest of the team, was the most fun I've ever had playing this game. It's a lot like the abyss, actually, but with more strategies available.

Totally opposite feelings

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 13:08 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I loved firefight, but I was always itching to move around and fight, which is more of my play style even in Halo. Prison of Elders is perfect for that! Mind you there are still encounters where you will want to hunker down behind cover, at least for a little while, but for the most part PoE expects you to keep moving since no cover is very safe.

Totally opposite feelings

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:11 (3271 days ago) @ Xenos

I loved firefight, but I was always itching to move around and fight, which is more of my play style even in Halo. Prison of Elders is perfect for that! Mind you there are still encounters where you will want to hunker down behind cover, at least for a little while, but for the most part PoE expects you to keep moving since no cover is very safe.

I think games like Mass Effect 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist did a much better job of hitting that sweet spot: You had to constantly move and rotate positions, but you always felt like you were moving too a defensable position, if you could just get there.

I think it's too early to judge yet.

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 13:23 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I've played 3 lvl 28s and I think it's intended to play a little like the Val Taaurac used to, before it got cheesed all the time. You're constantly moving, working together as a team, no place is safe for any period of time. I think the dynamic of standing around looking at crota through a window is the polar opposite of this experience.

I'd like to get to lvl 34. I expect once I get there that the lvl 32 PoE will feel like a slightly challenging strike. Room to maneuver a bit and have a little fun, while working as a team.

I guess time will tell. I haven't experienced it as much as you guys have, but I'm still hopeful.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 13:59 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

The other big thing we have to remember is that PoE can and will be improved upon. Bungie knew that going into it. They will add more stuff to it as it matures. This is what I am looking forward to.

Unlike raids, PoE is expected to be changed and morphed into new challenges.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:07 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The other big thing we have to remember is that PoE can and will be improved upon. Bungie knew that going into it. They will add more stuff to it as it matures. This is what I am looking forward to.

Unlike raids, PoE is expected to be changed and morphed into new challenges.

I just hope (but don't expect) those changes to include all-new arenas to fight in.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:10 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm expecting them to since they called this an Arena activity instead of just Prison of Elders. It may not be added to the same activity, but I suspect we'll see new Arena areas in the future.

Are modifiers and bosses random per week?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:24 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

Are modifiers and bosses random per week?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:25 (3271 days ago) @ unoudid

[image]

Don't we?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:39 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I thought it was said that there were several PoE variants that would rotate weekly with the 35 remaining constant?

I know. I just wanted to post that gif.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:40 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

A perfectly valid reason. :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:41 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Prison of Elders is not horde mode. It is merely similar.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:12 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I don't like it that much honestly, I prefer the raids, but I also didn't expect it to be ODST firefight or horde mode. It's its own thing and should be judged on its own.

Good point

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 18:17 (3271 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:26 (3271 days ago) @ Funkmon

I don't like it that much honestly, I prefer the raids, but I also didn't expect it to be ODST firefight or horde mode. It's its own thing and should be judged on its own.

I'm judging it as an 'endgame activity'. By that standard, it falls very short.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:37 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're judging what you can see. Today's BWU even says "There are battles that have yet to even begin." (I don't know if this is in PoE, but I'd guess it is.)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:40 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I assumed that they were referring to the Trials of Osiris.

by Avateur @, Friday, May 22, 2015, 01:21 (3271 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I assumed that they were referring to the Trials of Osiris.

Same. Also, Bungie trying to hype things that may or may not exist is their job. And most all of the major final battles consist of you fighting a bigger bullet sponge version of a regular enemy, as it has been since the first boss fight in Destiny. Gotta agree with Cody on this thing falling flat as far as end-game content goes. Even with all of what I just said, I think I'm still fairly neutral to Prison of Elders. It's interesting to do, and I don't mind doing it, but I won't go out of my way to do it unless the people I'm playing with would like to.

As for Trials of Osiris, I can't wait to get that going. Not too thrilled at their plans regarding map variety, or the fact that it's sort of a weekend only thing, but I bet it'll be a blast.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 01:38 (3271 days ago) @ Avateur

Gotta agree with Cody on this thing falling flat as far as end-game content goes. Even with all of what I just said, I think I'm still fairly neutral to Prison of Elders. It's interesting to do, and I don't mind doing it, but I won't go out of my way to do it unless the people I'm playing with would like to.

I think that's a big part of my problem... I'm fine with PoE as a side activity, but having it thrust into the position of "prime end-game content" just doesn't fit. Trials of Osiris seems like a great end-game activity for the PvP side. Prison of Elders feels more like a fun little diversion, not the driving activity for end-game PvE players.

We really need another raid :)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 00:43 (3271 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I dunno. The most fun I've had prior was the Templar's Well. Rolling the 34 POE was at least as fun as that, maybe more so.

Sweet jesus that Arc-Hive-Mine portion. Murderous.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 01:29 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I dunno. The most fun I've had prior was the Templar's Well. Rolling the 34 POE was at least as fun as that, maybe more so.

Personally, I found it tedious. Getting through didn't feel like an accomplishment for me; we just did a slightly better job hiding behind cover that one time than all our other attempts. It reminded me of the times I've raided with randos and they just cheesed their way through the whole thing. Except in this case, I can't imagine getting through any other way.

All that being said, we were under leveled. I imagine running it as a team of 34s would require slightly less cheese :)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 03:40 (3270 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Personally, I found it tedious. Getting through didn't feel like an accomplishment for me; we just did a slightly better job hiding behind cover that one time than all our other attempts. It reminded me of the times I've raided with randos and they just cheesed their way through the whole thing. Except in this case, I can't imagine getting through any other way.

All that being said, we were under leveled. I imagine running it as a team of 34s would require slightly less cheese :)

How could you hide?! You had to dismantle mines out in the open, simultaneously! Crota is a hundred times more camping intensive than that section was.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 08:08 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I hope they fix the enemies not spawning. As much as I appreciate the free ride, having an army of hive wait behind a door for me to personally let them in made the mines section kind of trivial.

That boss round though. Hoo boy that's a lot of fun.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 11:20 (3270 days ago) @ someotherguy

I hope they fix the enemies not spawning. As much as I appreciate the free ride, having an army of hive wait behind a door for me to personally let them in made the mines section kind of trivial.

That would definitely be one way for that section to not be murderous. Bummer. We thought that was the toughest part. That goddamn wizard in the middle, he took no prisoners.

I think this is on purpose -- so you can't camp out

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, May 22, 2015, 12:16 (3270 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

I dont think so. Or I hope not.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:24 (3270 days ago) @ slycrel

Had zero enemies spawn, disabled the mines with no opposition, sent one guy to open the doors and just killed everything as it came out.

Yeah, that is not how it's supposed to go down.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:28 (3270 days ago) @ someotherguy

But hey, remember the rules my first boss always told me: never turn down free money, never turn down a free lunch.

And remember that neither are actually free.

Pfft, it only cost me my dignity

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:58 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Sweet jesus that Arc-Hive-Mine portion. Murderous

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:08 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Chickens and I were running this with my friend last night and we got stuck here. no matter what we did we would always get taken out by that stinking wizard or boomer knight.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:14 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

Chickens and I were running this with my friend last night and we got stuck here. no matter what we did we would always get taken out by that stinking wizard or boomer knight.

I think it took us half of the total run time (read: one hour). Chaos and I ended up both going full ninja-bladedancer on the middle, and even then, one of us usually died in process.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:30 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

The most frustrating part was when we would get to disabling the last mine on wave 3 and then get one shot killed. I can't count the times where I would be killed with one shot from a boomer or have a thrall one hit me. I swear we were dealing with some strange lag at parts.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:41 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

The most frustrating part was when we would get to disabling the last mine on wave 3 and then get one shot killed. I can't count the times where I would be killed with one shot from a boomer or have a thrall one hit me. I swear we were dealing with some strange lag at parts.

When Vortech, Cyber and I ran that section, we split up. From the entrance, Vortech went far left, Cyber and I went far right. There is very little cover on the right, but you have decent line of sight on 2 of the Hive spawn doors. So Cyber and I would nail the thrall as they ran out of their doorways, and Thunderlord the boomers and wizard as they entered.

If the mines on the right or left side spawned, we were already in position to deal with them. When the one in the middle spawned, I rotated left from my position (back towards the main entrance) until I was directly under the center mine. I then jumped up on to the platform, hugging the large pillar for cover. None of the adds in the room even spotted me, so I was able to defuse it relatively safely.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 22, 2015, 15:17 (3270 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

When Vortech, Cyber and I ran that section, we split up. From the entrance, Vortech went far left, Cyber and I went far right. There is very little cover on the right, but you have decent line of sight on 2 of the Hive spawn doors. So Cyber and I would nail the thrall as they ran out of their doorways, and Thunderlord the boomers and wizard as they entered.

If the mines on the right or left side spawned, we were already in position to deal with them. When the one in the middle spawned, I rotated left from my position (back towards the main entrance) until I was directly under the center mine. I then jumped up on to the platform, hugging the large pillar for cover. None of the adds in the room even spotted me, so I was able to defuse it relatively safely.

We were doing something similar. I would go far right and take out the thralls as they entered. I'd shoot a gjallahorn round followed by an arc sniper at the wizards and either snipe or use fatebringer on the knights. For the most part I was able to protect myself. I'll probably give it a go this weekend again. Putting two on the right side could be a good method to try out.

What was your group make up? We had two hunters and one titan.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:02 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

I'll probably give it a go this weekend again.

I'd be interested in trying it out with you, I've heard some rumors that while you can't get more cores/etheric light on subsequent runs on the same character, you can get exotic bounties, and I want that queenbreaker's bow.

This weekend?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:16 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Yeah Boi!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:16 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

Roll some ToO with you too if you want to jump in with Chaos and I, tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah Boi!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:19 (3270 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Tomorrow for sure. My lady has been sick and needs a date night.

Yeah Boi!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, May 22, 2015, 16:21 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

Tomorrow for sure. My lady has been sick and needs a date night.

I'll be free almost all day tomorrow. Gotta get that ToO chest. Want to hunt me some Skolas.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 22, 2015, 22:19 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

TDT
Three Defender Titans.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 22:29 (3270 days ago) @ unoudid

We were doing something similar. I would go far right and take out the thralls as they entered. I'd shoot a gjallahorn round followed by an arc sniper at the wizards and either snipe or use fatebringer on the knights. For the most part I was able to protect myself. I'll probably give it a go this weekend again. Putting two on the right side could be a good method to try out.

3 Defenders.

The 1 advantage to having 2 people on the right side is that you stand a better chance of killing the boomers and wizard before they can make their way fully into position. Once they enter "full attack mode", they're way more dangerous because you have so little cover on that side.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 22, 2015, 04:02 (3270 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Adding to the mess is that enemies will sometimes spawn right smack in the middle of the arena. During a round against the Fallen, I took position on top of a large platform near the center. Not perfectly safe, but some decent cover and sightlines. Just as I though "let's see if I can make this work", a captain, 2 dregs and a servitor spawned directly on top of me.

don't forget the time the game decided that I could not use my cover anymore and just warped me to the middle of the room. :/

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:44 (3270 days ago) @ Vortech

don't forget the time the game decided that I could not use my cover anymore and just warped me to the middle of the room. :/

Yeah, that was a good time ;)

by ProbablyLast, Friday, May 22, 2015, 11:35 (3270 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I like it better than the slightly elongated strike that is Crotas End.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:32 (3270 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I like it better than the slightly elongated strike that is Crotas End.

I LOVE Crota's End, except for the final battle on hard mode (normal is fine). Everyone has their moments in the spotlight, everyone has a job to do. You feel like a real team.

Prison of Elders feels like COD multiplayer to me: A bunch of people playing by themselves who happen to be on the same team.

We finished 34 last night…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, May 22, 2015, 14:54 (3270 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

…and it was a very rewarding experience to have completed that at 33 with no ascended weapons. Crikey!

While it was very difficult, we never felt like any of the objectives were completely out of reach, but we did have to adjust our strategies multiple times.

And I think it's cool that everything we see is changing on Tuesday. Strategies and tactics that we've developed this week may not pay off next week.

I'm looking forward to taking down Skolas, too. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread