PoE: Hunter or Warlock? (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:12 (3271 days ago)

I'm going to blitzkrieg through the story mode when I get off work today, hopefully finishing in time for the event I made.

We played through 32 and 34 with three defender titans last night, so I have no idea how the other two classes play in PoE. Which should I focus on for tonight?

PoE: Hunter or Warlock?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:16 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

I'm going to blitzkrieg through the story mode when I get off work today, hopefully finishing in time for the event I made.

We played through 32 and 34 with three defender titans last night, so I have no idea how the other two classes play in PoE. Which should I focus on for tonight?

I suspect the Warlock's self res will be clutch on the 34 run.

Fixed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:17 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I suspect the Warlock's pure and total awesome will be clutch on the 34 run.

There, fixed it for ya.

Fixed

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:18 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

I suspect the Warlock's pure and total awesome will make up for their doofy jump on the 34 run.

Much better.

Fixed

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:59 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Floofing actually comes in handy when the floor is lava.

When you're as hot as my hunter, you're used to the fire.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:01 (3271 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

Who cares about a little lava? That's just the price of lookin good.

[image]

Fixed

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:13 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

I suspect the Warlock's pure and total awesome will be clutch on the 34 run, but not as useful as the hunter's invisibility to revive and disarm mines.

There, now it's fixed.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:19 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Totally agree with this, once it's harder, probably be a bit clutch, but being invis and reviving dead teammates could be huge. I personally like the play of my warlock better than the hunter.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:21 (3271 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Good point. I was just thinking 2 warlocks and a Hunter might make a pretty good team :)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:22 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

yea it's a toss up for me between the 2 usually for that reason, but I just prefer the warlock's other perks and let others go invis to revive me :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:25 (3271 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Ha. I'm honestly a little bit terrified of trying to clear the level 34 PoE with any combo other than 3 defender Titans. We spent most of our run last night hiding in each other's bubbles lol

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:39 (3271 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Ha. I'm honestly a little bit terrified of trying to clear the level 34 PoE with any combo other than 3 defender Titans. We spent most of our run last night hiding in each other's bubbles lol

I don't have a whole lot of experience with PoE yet, but it sure seems that invisible hunters are extremely useful.

Honestly, I can't think of anything a Warlock will be especially useful for other than self-revive, which is moot if you git gud and don't die!

by Earendil, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:24 (3271 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I don't have a whole lot of experience with PoE yet, but it sure seems that invisible hunters are extremely useful.

Honestly, I can't think of anything a Warlock will be especially useful for other than self-revive, which is moot if you git gud and don't die!

Aren't invisible hunters most useful for reviving team mates? Otherwise, going invisible just focuses fire on the other two team mates.

I see invis and resurrection as two last resorts that work in different situations. If the entire team wipes at once, invis won't save you. If you're spread out and one person goes down, invis certainly will, and with a higher frequency than resurrection will. As a Warlock I play a lot with a Hunter companion. We rarely stand close enough that an explosion or an errant thrall will take us both out in the same moment. Sometimes (especially with the cabal), if my body is being pummeled I have a better chance as a warlock resurrecting and getting out, than my hunter companion has of getting close enough and reviving me before he dies.

It also seems like "git gud and don't die!" isn't a counter. That could be said about any skill or weapon. The difference is that I can make it all the way to the end and say I never used my super, while the rest of you less gud players are popping supers left and right ;-)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:30 (3271 days ago) @ Earendil
edited by Speedracer513, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:34

Aren't invisible hunters most useful for reviving team mates? Otherwise, going invisible just focuses fire on the other two team mates.

No - invisible hunters are extremely useful because they can go disable the mines all by themselves and without any trouble. Being able to easily revive their less-alive teammates is just a bonus ;-)

I see invis and resurrection as two last resorts that work in different situations. If the entire team wipes at once, invis won't save you. If you're spread out and one person goes down, invis certainly will, and with a higher frequency than resurrection will. As a Warlock I play a lot with a Hunter companion. We rarely stand close enough that an explosion or an errant thrall will take us both out in the same moment. Sometimes (especially with the cabal), if my body is being pummeled I have a better chance as a warlock resurrecting and getting out, than my hunter companion has of getting close enough and reviving me before he dies.

It also seems like "git gud and don't die!" isn't a counter. That could be said about any skill or weapon. The difference is that I can make it all the way to the end and say I never used my super, while the rest of you less gud players are popping supers left and right ;-)

Being able to get to the end and brag about not having used your super is not a good thing, in my opinion. Supers should be used as much as possible. Even if you don't "need" the super to kill a bunch of enemies in a hurry - you should do it anyway so you are generating orbs, thereby helping your teammates. Warlocks (whether Voidwalker or Sunsinger) can very easily generate 8-9 orbs, and if they aren't doing that as often as (reasonably) possible, they aren't helping their fireteam as much as they could be.

Edit: I should probably add that I am not claiming to be good at taking my own advice. When I play Sunsinger, I tend to hold on to that super until it is needed, and as a result I usually go an entire activity without popping my super even once - which isn't as fun for me. Lately, [when I am playing on my Warlock] I've been running Voidwalker more, mostly so I don't feel guilty about using/not using my super whenever I feel like it.

by Earendil, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 15:53 (3271 days ago) @ Speedracer513

No - invisible hunters are extremely useful because they can go disable the mines all by themselves and without any trouble. Being able to easily revive their less-alive teammates is just a bonus ;-)

Okay, I'll grant you that.

Being able to get to the end and brag about not having used your super is not a good thing, in my opinion. Supers should be used as much as possible. Even if you don't "need" the super to kill a bunch of enemies in a hurry - you should do it anyway so you are generating orbs, thereby helping your teammates.

All practical, fun, helpful advice aside, your suggestion was to "git gud and not die". If I do what you say and pull that off, I've just won all the things. I don't need a super, my team doesn't need a super. I am invincible :)

But more practically and certainly more fun is to use it as often as possible. Of course, you may have assumed that I die less frequently than my super recharges, therefore robbing my team of it's frequent use ;-)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:10 (3271 days ago) @ Earendil

Of course, you may have assumed that I die less frequently than my super recharges, therefore robbing my team of it's frequent use ;-)

Touche ;-)

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:21 (3271 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Of course, you may have assumed that I die less frequently than my super recharges, therefore robbing my team of it's frequent use ;-)

Touche ;-)

This is the worst part of bladedancer. I only use to revive and disarm because it doesn't do enough damage to one shot everyone that might kill me. So I make almost no orbs the whole fight.

Also, don't think anyone in this thread mentioned invis shotgun. It's awesome to take down big threats. And on 32 PoE you can camp next to the spawn door and unload a whole clip on the unsuspecting saps.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 16:23 (3271 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Touche ;-)

This is the worst part of bladedancer. I only use to revive and disarm because it doesn't do enough damage to one shot everyone that might kill me. So I make almost no orbs the whole fight.

Also, don't think anyone in this thread mentioned invis shotgun. It's awesome to take down big threats. And on 32 PoE you can camp next to the spawn door and unload a whole clip on the unsuspecting saps.

Oooh, I really need to try this with my Fourth Horseman.

Warlock Secrets

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 08:29 (3271 days ago) @ Speedracer513

A Warlock's job is to die. Rather than using self-res as a panic button, I much prefer using it as an opportunity to play more aggressively. Ogres giving you a hard time? You can confidently bumrush them with a shotgun, knowing you can die and it's okay. Need to rush across a busy map to a mine? Warlock has twice as much health as any other class (or like 1.75x a Titan, but shh). Need to pick someone up whose ghost is getting rained on by a Minotaur? Warlock invincibility frames will let you pick him up while you pick yourself up.

Don't choose a long life, choose a noble sacrifice.... *and* a long life.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:40 (3271 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

yea it's a toss up for me between the 2 usually for that reason, but I just prefer the warlock's other perks and let others go invis to revive me :)

So if the case is invisibility vs. resurrection then I would say go for invisibility. resurrection is just a safety net where as invisibility can be both a safety net and also an offensive use, like capturing points.

Take this as you will, cause I only play Titan's :-)

Pffft, safety net? Explosive net. Full of shotguns.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, May 22, 2015, 08:33 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Followed by death (because don't shotgun an Ogre if you're not a Warlock), followed by triumphant resurrection, followed by several million grenades.

Titan.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:19 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Lord Shaxx said it best when referring to the other classes: "Screw 'em." :p

Without a doubt. But I did that already :P

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:24 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

I know. I'm just trying to be unhelpful. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 14:43 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

i would argue we could not have been more Titan.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 22, 2015, 04:45 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 22, 2015, 05:13 (3271 days ago) @ Vortech

Even though you have already reached perfection does not mean you cannot strive for better.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, May 22, 2015, 22:17 (3270 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Unless you know what words mean. P)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread