Platform Filters! (read: You'll need to force-reload) (DBO)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:36 (3271 days ago)

What was quite literally my #1 development issue on the forum is now a working feature!

If your front page sidebar doesn't look like this:

[image]

Then you need to force reload the page a couple times (hold Shift while reloading).

Note that filters will *not* filter an event that you've RSVP'd for (those are always visible).

Enjoy. :)

User Interface: Bungie: 0. DBO: 1.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:37 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Platform Filters! (read: You'll need to force-reload)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:38 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

What was quite literally my #1 development issue on the forum is now a working feature!

If your front page sidebar doesn't look like this:

[image]

Then you need to force reload the page a couple times (hold Shift while reloading).

Enjoy. :)

I saw the check-boxes and was like :O

and then you made them all fancy toggle switches and I was like :D

Any way to have your settings persist?

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:40 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Thanks!!!!

Persistence

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:49 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Already there. As long as you have JavaScript enabled (which is usually the default for everyone), those settings will persist across logins and browsers. Whereas the RSVP settings are stored in the current session (and seem to be quickly forgotten), the Filter stuff is actually saved to the database, so it follows you whenever you're logged-in. I'm planning some changes to the RSVP system in the future (and actually laid some foundations for that with this update), so we'll be moving that stuff into the permanent-storage database at a later date. :)

Persistence

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:58 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

Already there. As long as you have JavaScript enabled (which is usually the default for everyone), those settings will persist across logins and browsers.

Weird. I have Javascript enabled in Chrome, but my settings get reset every time I refresh.

Try force-refreshing and/or manual cache clear

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:01 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I'm seeing the same thing

by Earendil, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:02 (3271 days ago) @ CyberKN

Javascript enabled (at least according to this). Using Chrome 42.0.2311.135

Have to agree. Keeps resetting on my end.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:04 (3271 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Very strange

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:06 (3271 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It's working here on all browsers.

Checking things… Stand by…

Very strange

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:29 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

Yeah, not working here at all. Using Chrome, as well (MacOSX, Version 42.0.2311.152 (64-bit) )

I cleared cache data, loaded the forum, saw the new buttons. Good.

Unclicked the PS options; only Xbox items left. Good.

Clicked 'DBO Forums' link at the top of the page - all four platforms visible again.

I see the post going out when I click the button.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:30 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Safari, too

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:34 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Yeah, not working here at all. Using Chrome, as well (MacOSX, Version 42.0.2311.152 (64-bit) )

I cleared cache data, loaded the forum, saw the new buttons. Good.

Unclicked the PS options; only Xbox items left. Good.

Clicked 'DBO Forums' link at the top of the page - all four platforms visible again.

Just tried Safari.

Click forum bookmark. Shows new interface. Good.

Unclick PS options: shows only Xbox. Good.

Hit Command-R (to reload the forum): all four platforms visible.

Very strange

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:50 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Same on Chrome in Windows.

Maybe you forgot to comment the "IF (user!=Beorn): saveflag=False" line?

Very strange

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:58 (3271 days ago) @ ZackDark

Nah, it's clearly a local reference issue: SaveStateTo: "/Volumes/Beorn'sHD" else FailSpectacularly

Where is Cody?

by Earendil, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:07 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

He always knows how to fix these things.

;-)

Haha! Wow! Great suggestion! :p

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:48 (3271 days ago) @ Earendil

- No text -

Persistence is working for me now.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:29 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Ditto. Thanks, Beorn!

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:31 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Same. You rock, Beorn!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:36 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

+1

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:37 (3271 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

It's good on mobile too.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:36 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Working here too. Thanks, Cody! ;)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:49 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

LOL! [nt]

by Earendil, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:58 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Working here too. Thanks, Cody! ;)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:50 (3271 days ago) @ Ragashingo

No prob.

Notice how Bungie has taken a number of my suggestions and made them real, for instance, removing the damage upgrade / defense upgrade nodes on gear.

Where's my check guys?

How about this one:

Players drop their heavy ammo when they die, but only if they are killed by a primary or special weapon. Think about it!

Beorn: I didn't do anything

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:42 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

;p

I honestly wouldn't be surprised

Oi, that was stupid

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 23:05 (3271 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Okay, so… Cody was right. That little hiccup was an issue with "not enough testing" on my end before publishing. For those who even care about such things, here's the skinny…

There is a "FTB settings" table in the database exclusively for storing information related to your FTB preferences. Right now it only contains the filtering options, but later it will hold RSVP info and, maybe, other things.

Here's the rub… the system only creates a database row for you only if you've bothered to set any preferences at all. If you don't have preferences, it returns a null data set with empty placeholders for various options. This is how the rest of the code knows whether or not you've set preferences or not. The first time you do set a preference, it's supposed to create a new row for you that's populated with data instead of null values, and the code reacts accordingly.

Only that whole "return the empty placeholders" thing wasn't actually working for everybody else but me. Because I tested the system immediately after publishing, there were no rows in the database before me and everything worked as planned. But when everyone else tried to set preferences, the database was returning my account's preferences instead of a blank row. This meant that the database thought it didn't need to insert a record, so it was attempting to run UPDATE operations on rows that didn't exist. Thus, no data got saved.

Turns out I forgot to insert two characters (a = and a 0, in that order) at the proper place in the SQL query. After I finally tracked down what was happening, the fix was easy.

Totally called it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 23:17 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

I really like explanations like this. I also am very familiar with similar order of mistakes. They happen ALL the time. Don't worry, Beorn, we don't hate you.

...yet.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:38 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

You. Are. Awesome. Now I don't have to look at events from inferior consoles!

Sweet! <disables PS3>

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:44 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:54 (3271 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Why bother?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 21:17 (3271 days ago) @ dogcow

I think there has been only one ever.

Nice feature, Beorn. I don't need it myself, but I can see the need for others.

Awesome! Thanks for yet another great feature :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 19:54 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

wooo! Nice!

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:38 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Nice!

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 20:58 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 22:34 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

Awesome! Thank you for all your efforts!

by Oholiab @, Friday, May 22, 2015, 02:40 (3271 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread