Trials of Osiris thoughts (Destiny)

by Mad_Stylus, Monday, May 25, 2015, 03:31 (3231 days ago)

So yeah, I actually like the ToO after that run.

Starting off we had a straight loss ticket. But I was too focused on getting that delicious chest plate. Its perks were good, it looked nice and it filled a very vital role in my loadout. I was in it to win it.

Once we got into the groove of things, we didn't really get out of it until a break later in the evening. Decisive, united action rules in the ToO, not reactive play. Especially noteworthy was the heavy ammo round. Once we rushed the entire team as one, we began clearing house that one. Enemies would split up and try and be too clever, and we'd be able to just smash them.

Warlocks ressing is a game changer when its used right. We actually had a comeback after a comeback. It was a glorious thing to see our Warlock rise from the dead and beat an enemy hunter senseless while they weren't expecting it. Above all, winning in Trials felt damn good.

In regular crucible, its no big deal. In Iron Banner, its more a relief that I can cash in those coins. In Trials of Osiris, it feels viscerally good to win, close or not. Having so much at stake with the win/loss system really ramps up your investment.

Also, pro tip - If you have losses on an 8 win, just cash it in. Theirs no award for a 9-2, and I might have hit the Lighthouse otherwise.

So yeah, bottom line? Next week, I'm actually looking forward to getting a hardened crew and making a day of it. I really can't say that about PVP most of the time.

Trials of Osiris thoughts

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, May 25, 2015, 03:46 (3231 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

Just finished a 9-0 run with Cruel and Otter. :D

I don't know if I can stomach that amount of stress again. And while it felt good to win, The notion that your rewards come on the backs of other player's losses doesn't sit quite right with me. Maybe that's standard PvP design logic, but I feel like there's got to be a better way...

by Mad_Stylus, Monday, May 25, 2015, 04:23 (3231 days ago) @ CyberKN

We had a long run of wins at one point. In hindsight, I could have rode that if I'd known, but I was one loss away from punching my ticket and I wasn't certain I'd hit the five we needed for a chest piece. Hopefully next week will be more rewarding, with the newfound knowledge. I'll need to ask Otto for the help. >.>

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 25, 2015, 06:04 (3231 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

So.... Are tickets invalidated at 3 losses? Can you turn them in for the wins on the card Even if they have 3 losses?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, May 25, 2015, 06:07 (3231 days ago) @ dogcow

So.... Are tickets invalidated at 3 losses? Can you turn them in for the wins on the card Even if they have 3 losses?

"Invalidated"? No. Complete? Yes. Once you redeem a ticket/passage, you can purchase all available rewards as provided by the standings on that ticket until Weekly Reset, even if you start a new ticket.

So if I win 7, then lose 3, I can then buy everything that requires up to 7 wins.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, May 25, 2015, 06:14 (3231 days ago) @ CyberKN

Congrats on the 9-0 streak! Someday I'd like to get there once so I can get to the lighthouse. First I need a fireteam that will PvP with me. ;)

The nice part about this is that you can essentially "practice" the trials until you are "ready" for the trials and really start winning. Unless you bring ottermack, then you don't need luck. heh.

When I'm involved, you ALWAYS need a little luck ;)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 25, 2015, 10:42 (3230 days ago) @ slycrel

As I told Cyber and Ottermack last night, you never know who's gonna show up: amazing, top-of-the-scoreboard CruelLEGACEY, or last place "is this guy asleep?" CruelLEGACEY. Luckily, their rarely-seen cousin "pretty good" CruelLEGACEY was the one playing last night ;p

Jokes aside, the single best piece of advice that Ottermack gave us last night was to focus on teamwork. Don't stress too much about your specific gear, or playing the best Destiny of your life. Work as a team and you'll do well. There were games where I felt like every opponent was out-gunning me, and we still walked away with a win. That's a pretty amazing feeling, actually.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, May 25, 2015, 16:13 (3230 days ago) @ slycrel

Though last night I learned you can't practice if you are alone, even if you have a card that will expire before you get another chance to play and would be fine with the losses, the game won't load you in without a fire team of 3.

by Monochron, Monday, May 25, 2015, 13:30 (3230 days ago) @ CyberKN

And while it felt good to win, The notion that your rewards come on the backs of other player's losses doesn't sit quite right with me. Maybe that's standard PvP design logic, but I feel like there's got to be a better way...

I'm actually the opposite, I really enjoy competitions with a clear-cut winner. That usually comes with having clear cut losers as well. I wouldn't say I'm particularly competitive, but I just enjoy competitions where you strive to win something like that.

Maybe when I finally get to play ToO I'll enjoy it for that reason, haha.

I don't know how I feel about ToO

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:35 (3230 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

I've played 3 lots of ToO so far, and I really dont know what to make of it. I got the armour on 2 characters and made it to 9-2 with one of them, which was an awesome feeling.

But, I dont think I like the way it works. The system is geared entirely towards losing to keep you coming back, where the rest of Destiny grts it's draw from success. If you keep playing well, you will get to have nice things. In PvE, in Crucible and in even in Iron Banner I know that win or lose, I'm making progress. If I lose I get to keep going, and unless I lose consistently, I'll be fine. If I win, the other team will be fine too. The important part is winning - winning is progress, and losing is just a not-progress.

In Trials of Osiris it's "Only one of you gets to have nice things. These people are stopping you from having the nice things. Now take it from them". All the emphasis is on losing - losing takes the chance away from you and resets your progress. For every flawless run that means 9(!) teams that will not get to see the Lighthouse. I also felt bad every time I kicked a team out. Were they 4-2, just desperately hoping to get their armour? Was this their third loss in a row and they were having a really miserable time (that I contributed to)? What about the team who disappeared as we were loading into the game - did they quit because they were sick of it? Were they trying to boot us out and it backfired? Or were they victims of Bungie's netcode/Activision's lack of dedicated servers?

The focus on failure makes the whole experience really draining. A win is like a relief rather than a victory - "Phew, we're not out yet". And if you do go on a losing streak, it's itensely unpleasant. I went in with the same group as I went 9-2 with, but we couldn't get ourselves together, and it ruined us. By the end we all just agreed to stop and try again next week. And I kind of dont want to. Even though I know I can win (Ive already done it after all), ToO is the first thing that's ever made me want to play less Destiny.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 25, 2015, 19:52 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

2 quick things: you can still get ToO gear drops just by playing. In the 7 games I played with Ottermack last night, he got 3 drops. So while the winners certainly get the big prize, everyone has a chance to get something.

As for the rest of your feelings, I think it just comes down to whether or not you enjoy something that is truly competitive. That's what real competition is: to be the last one standing. Every athlete who has ever won a gold medal has done so by denying that medal from everyone else. For the people who enjoy that sort of thing, it's very much a part of the appeal.

Now, I totally get why most people don't enjoy that kind of stress in their videogames. I usually don't either. But once in a while, I enjoy the thrill of really testing myself to see just how well I stack up against the rest.

For me, the other thing that makes ToO work is that I find the elimination game mode itself is way more fun than any other Destiny PvP gametype. I love how focused it is, and how it takes emphasis away from heavies and supers.

I really like Elimination

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, May 25, 2015, 20:36 (3230 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

If it was a normal playlist I'd be all over it. But I think you're right - I guess Im just not big on conflict.

This all said, Im sure I'll be a big dirty hypocrite and play next week. When it was fun it was really fun. I think my issue comes down to this - having been on the receiving end of a losing spree, it sucks to think that sometimes I'm causing that, because it was awful and demoralising.

Besides, I need that Lighthouse grimoire (I dont even care about the emblem, and Im fine with non-elemental guns - need dat grimoire though).

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:13 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

If it was a normal playlist I'd be all over it.

I was thinking the same thing myself, although I think Bungie's raid-logic might apply here as well. Elimination gametypes can be uber-punishing. Going in to such a playlist with randoms could easily become more frustrating than fun. Perhaps keeping it to a mode that requires a full fireteam is the way to go.

I think my issue comes down to this - having been on the receiving end of a losing spree, it sucks to think that sometimes I'm causing that, because it was awful and demoralising.

Cyber was saying very similar things while we played last night; that it was difficult to enjoy each victory because it was coming at the expense of someone else. We knocked out several teams over the course of our run (4, I think), and every time it happened we all stopped talking. It's like we all got hit by this little pang of guilt, and needed to give a brief moment of respect to each team we eliminated.

Which is quite fascinating, really. Never had a videogame make me feel that way.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:34 (3230 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I was thinking the same thing myself, although I think Bungie's raid-logic might apply here as well. Elimination gametypes can be uber-punishing. Going in to such a playlist with randoms could easily become more frustrating than fun. Perhaps keeping it to a mode that requires a full fireteam is the way to go.

I think my issue comes down to this - having been on the receiving end of a losing spree, it sucks to think that sometimes I'm causing that, because it was awful and demoralising.

Cyber was saying very similar things while we played last night; that it was difficult to enjoy each victory because it was coming at the expense of someone else. We knocked out several teams over the course of our run (4, I think), and every time it happened we all stopped talking. It's like we all got hit by this little pang of guilt, and needed to give a brief moment of respect to each team we eliminated.

Which is quite fascinating, really. Never had a videogame make me feel that way.

Having thought about it, It's the reward that gets me.

If we were just competing for gear and etheric light, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But the Lighthouse area is SO. DAMN. GORGEOUS, and it's really a shame Bungie locked it away behind such a herculean task in a PvP mode.

Everyone should get to experience that place, Skilled or no.

Tried it last night

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 11:01 (3229 days ago) @ CyberKN

Tried Trials last night with Rev and Bones and got my teeth kicked in over and over and over again.......

Enough heartbreak for one night, back I go to Crucible with the scrubs where I belong.

Oh lighthouse. Someday.

Honestly though, I love Trials gameplay, we really really had to communicate to get ANY kills at all. Thorn seems to reign supreme along with snipers. I like that they made it so exceptionally challenging. I highly doubt that I will go in again for a few days but I will definitely keep trying. It's VERY high stress gameplay which is something I had never really experienced like that before. Even if I'm not good at it I can still really appreciate it.

Seems like it's something taking Destiny in a really good direction.

CC

What is up with this line of thought?

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 14:48 (3229 days ago) @ CyberKN

If we were just competing for gear and etheric light, I wouldn't have an issue with it. But the Lighthouse area is SO. DAMN. GORGEOUS, and it's really a shame Bungie locked it away behind such a herculean task in a PvP mode.

I shake my head sometimes when I'm reading posts here, but this whole thread just about made my head pop out of its socket.

No. Emphatic no. It's enough that Bungie has bent itself backwards with this latest patch to satisfy all the folks that are out there with outstretched hands, pleading 'gimme, gimme, gimme.' It's basically raining engrams and coins and dildoes, and now folks are feeling 'guilt' that the one thing Bungie offers to folks that persevere and succeed is denied to folks that do *not* persevere and succeed!??!?!? OMG WHAT THE FUCK?

Do I *really* need to explain why?

- m

p.s. My warlock has not seen this lighthouse place, and he may never see it. C'est la vie.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 14:59 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I would say "what's up with this" is that on one hand, it means some members of this community are noble and thoughtful, perhaps to a fault. And o the other hand, it caters to crybabies.

I didn't want to post it but I'm glad you did, because I agree. And I got destroyed when I played. So I'll add to it.

--------

TO THE PEOPLE THAT FEEL BAD:

It is a competition.

Competitions have winners, and losers.

Not everyone can be a winner.

If everyone is a winner, then it is not a competition.

Then the rewards are trivial and pointless.

Yes, that means some people will never, ever see the lighthouse via competitive play. (Perhaps there are other ways to get there in the future).

No, you are not a bad person for getting to see it.

In fact, you are BETTER for getting to see it, and wanting others to see it too, as opposed to being dicks about it (neener neener I are gud u r teh suk).

Yes, that will make certain people sad and they will cry.

Let them cry.

Enjoy your reward.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:23 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Let them cry.

Enjoy your reward.

Sorry, but I'm just not that kind of person.

And It's okay that we disagree... It's just a video game, after all.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:31 (3229 days ago) @ CyberKN

Let them cry.

Enjoy your reward.

"I don't want to be happy"

-CyberKN

Exactly :)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:34 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Let them cry.

Enjoy your reward.

"I don't want to be happy"

-CyberKN

I want everyone to be happy. This is impossible, but Im still allowed to want it.

Civil discourse!

Blame the primate brain.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:36 (3229 days ago) @ someotherguy

Everybody wants to share, to some degree.

Everything you say is bananas.

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:57 (3229 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

+1

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 16:00 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

(◔◡◔)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 16:01 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

- No text -

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 19:49 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Thank you for putting a point on the fine line between being *here* and being 'there*.

- m

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 20:47 (3229 days ago) @ Revenant1988

Great stuff - I wrote a bunch in reply but my browser choked. Anyway, quicker summary:

I would say "what's up with this" is that on one hand, it means some members of this community are noble and thoughtful, perhaps to a fault. And o the other hand, it caters to crybabies.

To a fault - yes. Though I don't cosider it any serious lapse. Mind you there is no relation between 'I'm a good person and wish folks good things' and "I want to win that prize.' Two completely seperate ideals that can (and do) safely co-exist side by side in most folk's mind.

Yes, that means some people will never, ever see the lighthouse via competitive play. (Perhaps there are other ways to get there in the future).

If in the future means when the game is old and no longer any big deal, sure.

We should all get our Ozymandias moment, in a weird way.

In fact, you are BETTER for getting to see it, and wanting others to see it too, as opposed to being dicks about it (neener neener I are gud u r teh suk).

A corollary - this is why I'll never tea-bag a random person I play against, unless they're being a supreme burrito asshole. But that is very very rare.

Enjoy your reward.

My reward has been playing hundreds of hours both alone and with dear friends, in a game that is spectacularly crafted. Everything else re: this game is a construct I, and only I, am a creator of and can determine how much sway it has over my life. That's it, case-closed.

- m

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:00 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I shake my head sometimes when I'm reading posts here, but this whole thread just about made my head pop out of its socket.

No. Emphatic no. It's enough that Bungie has bent itself backwards with this latest patch to satisfy all the folks that are out there with outstretched hands, pleading 'gimme, gimme, gimme.' It's basically raining engrams and coins and dildoes, and now folks are feeling 'guilt' that the one thing Bungie offers to folks that persevere and succeed is denied to folks that do *not* persevere and succeed!??!?!? OMG WHAT THE FUCK?

Do I *really* need to explain why?

- m

p.s. My warlock has not seen this lighthouse place, and he may never see it. C'est la vie.

Ditto.

I like fun. I want others to have fun too.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:26 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez
edited by someotherguy, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 15:33

Losing ToO is the opposite of fun. Winning ToO means withholding fun from someone else.

Im going to keep playing ToO because I want to see the Lighthouse. I don't care about the Emblem or the Elemental Primaries, but I want to see The Lighthouse first hand. More than anything, I want that Grimoire card. Im going to get there eventually - If I can go 9-2 with no buffs I can go 7-1 with them. But Im not certain Im going to always have fun along the way, and yes, Im going to feel bad knowing that at least some of the people I beat are going to miss out on a cool place because they're "undeserving".

Course, if Bungie opens the Lighthouse up to tourists (look, but don't touch) on Bungie day or in a later expansion, I'd be sated. I dont need the stuff, I just want the experience (and for others to get to have it too).

Edit: Just seen the above from Rev. I think the competition is the issue for me. Guns and emblems etc. are rewards. I don't mind people not getting rewards if they don't earn them. But an actual, physical space to explore? That's content (to me. Personal opinion, small distinction, YMMV caveat). Don't lock content behind PvP.

I like fun. I want others to have fun too.

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 20:09 (3229 days ago) @ someotherguy

Losing ToO is the opposite of fun. Winning ToO means withholding fun from someone else.

Im going to keep playing ToO because I want to see the Lighthouse. I don't care about the Emblem or the Elemental Primaries, but I want to see The Lighthouse first hand. More than anything, I want that Grimoire card. Im going to get there eventually - If I can go 9-2 with no buffs I can go 7-1 with them. But Im not certain Im going to always have fun along the way, and yes, Im going to feel bad knowing that at least some of the people I beat are going to miss out on a cool place because they're "undeserving".

Course, if Bungie opens the Lighthouse up to tourists (look, but don't touch) on Bungie day or in a later expansion, I'd be sated. I dont need the stuff, I just want the experience (and for others to get to have it too).

Edit: Just seen the above from Rev. I think the competition is the issue for me. Guns and emblems etc. are rewards. I don't mind people not getting rewards if they don't earn them. But an actual, physical space to explore? That's content (to me. Personal opinion, small distinction, YMMV caveat). Don't lock content behind PvP.

Not trying to be an asshole (believe me, Kermit, Louis Wu and others can attest I can be an asshole with very very little effort) but I see now that Bungie could've held off much of the teeth gnashing months ago from their users if they explicitly stated when engrams decrypt, the results are pulled from a pool that all other players at that moment are sharing.

Don't lock content behind PvP.

It is a mistake to tie that statement with ToO. But as it is clear, we shall agree to disagree.

- M

I'm not sure I understand

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 22:03 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

It is a mistake to tie that statement with ToO. But as it is clear, we shall agree to disagree.

- M

Why is it a mistake? And what's clear? I could understand disagreeing with the sentiment, but ToO is PvP and it acts as a gate to some content, so I'm not sure why the statement doesn't apply regardless.

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 23:39 (3229 days ago) @ someotherguy

- M

Why is it a mistake? And what's clear? I could understand disagreeing with the sentiment, but ToO is PvP and it acts as a gate to some content, so I'm not sure why the statement doesn't apply regardless.

That statement ties to the sentiment, so therefore we disagree!! I don't share that sentiment so therefore the statement doesn't work for me.

The idea of 'locking' content is too broad a brush. It gets overused nowadays in matters that don't even approach something like "Raise the alarms! Someone is being robbed!"

To bring this back to the real world - do you agree that every child that plays in little league deserves a trophy at the end of the season? Even the children that were on the team in last place?

And please I'm not comparing us to little league players in terms of maturity - I'm just using a common example of win:prize::lose:bupkis.

- M

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 23:48 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I believe every child that wins Little League should get a trophy as a reward. I don't believe that the losers should be banned from going on the school trip to Mercury - they already didn't get a trophy. Which does admittedly assume some kind of entitlement to the school trip in the first place. Again, different value placed on different aspects of the game by different people, I guess.

But I understand better. I thought you were suggesting ToO didn't count as PvP somehow, which confused me.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 16:59 (3229 days ago) @ CyberKN

Can you invite someone to your fireteam once you get there?

Nope. Invites don't work.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 17:00 (3229 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, May 25, 2015, 22:45 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

Besides, I need that Lighthouse grimoire (I dont even care about the emblem, and Im fine with non-elemental guns - need dat grimoire though).

What? There's a grimoire card for the lighthouse?! I was ok with it always being out of reach before I knew that. That makes today's loss in game 9 hurt way more :(

-Disciple

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, May 25, 2015, 22:41 (3230 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

For me, the other thing that makes ToO work is that I find the elimination game mode itself is way more fun than any other Destiny PvP gametype. I love how focused it is, and how it takes emphasis away from heavies and supers.

Back in the day of Halo 1 LAN parties, I'd usually convince everyone to do 1 or 2 rounds of elimination. I've always liked this game type. It can feel "cheap" at times, for sure. However, it's more in the direction of real skill vs real skill. Assuming relatively equal gear.

A though: what if we grant victories after Lighthouse?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:41 (3230 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

Like torrenting, what if we keep on giving after getting the ultimate prize?

0) Git gud and go 9-0
1) Go to Lighthouse
2) Collect sweet, sweet loot
3) Rejoin Trials, this time losing games (not overly blatant, though, just hand out the last point or so)
4) Make some random lucky chaps happy

I like this human, he understands.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:45 (3230 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

+7

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:48 (3230 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

...and always seed your torrents to at least a 1:1 ratio.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, May 25, 2015, 21:49 (3230 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Sometimes nobody else wants the stuff I do…

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 01:07 (3230 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I like it. Sharing is caring!

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 07:31 (3229 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

An interesting thing that I noticed in ToO...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 04:37 (3230 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

Everyone seems to be in a totally different zone while playing.

I ran it tonight, and the only time I ever saw a teabag was when CyberKN did it... To my corpse...

It was fun to be able to tell how tense everyone is in that playlist... Fortunately it made most players pretty predictable, since everyone's too stressed to leave their comfort zones and strategies... Our team included.

An interesting thing that I noticed in ToO...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:26 (3229 days ago) @ Korny

I so wish that my crew could play yours. We bring that intensity, but I have no clue what a "comfort zone" is. Granted, the best we've done is 6-0, and at one point ended 9-1. Oh well.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread