Are you kidding me? (Destiny)

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:02 (3263 days ago)

So my Fireteam and I are playing Level 34 PoE... Qodron's deal. We make it to round 5 to fight Qodron himself. It takes us a good chunk of time to figure out the fight, and we start getting some traction. We get him down to just a sliver of health, I am laying into him with my 365 Vision of Confluence, he is SECONDS from death.

...My screen goes black. Beetle error.

I do a full reset, takes 5 minutes. My team probably wins the fight, right?

Get back to party chat and turns out they died when I went down, getting overrun. Literally seconds from winning the fight.

So, I go to orbit, frustrated, but ready to start the fight again... Can't join manually, so my friend sends an invite. The game then removes both guys from the Prison and puts them in Orbit with me, all progress lost.

Rage ensues.

I can feel the rage

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:04 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

I feel for you bro. Dat ain't right.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:06 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

Are you kidding me?

by negabyte, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:06 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey

Bleh

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:40 (3263 days ago) @ negabyte

Why not just make it like Hard Mode Raids? We join anytime dead in an awkward place. PoE allows revive, so maybe spawn inside the airlock? Then a wipe would bring the whole team together.

Exactly the same outcome as using the exploit, but without relying on an exploit. It's not even like Raids where we can share checkpoints, so it would do no good to anyone other than the fireteam. Would save a lot of frustration.

Are you kidding me?

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:01 (3263 days ago) @ negabyte

that sucks!

FYI about rejoining PoE:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/36lyoo/sga_it_is_possible_to_join_an_inprogress_prison/

I had read this post, one of the other guys did get booted earlier, and we had to wipe for him to join.

The odd thing about my situation was that when I accepted the invite, it pulled them into my game (in orbit) removing them from PoE (and erasing our progress, 2 hours worth).

Why can't we just get a check point for the very last round? Really lame.

I don't get that much time to play, and when 2 hours gets flushed, it hurts.

Are you kidding me?

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 09:16 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey

The odd thing about my situation was that when I accepted the invite, it pulled them into my game (in orbit)

This happened to me with 2 randoms when I was trying to join a nightfall once. They sent an invite, which I accepted, and it pulled them out of the nightfall and into orbit with me. They got really upset (understandably).

Why were randoms inviting you to a Nightfall?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 09:31 (3263 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

He's an incredibly popular duck.

by Monochron, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 12:29 (3262 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Ever since he put a pool in the back yard.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 12:30 (3262 days ago) @ Monochron

"LFG, Max Gally" brings all the boys to the yard

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 14:00 (3261 days ago) @ ZackDark

65% of the time, it works every time.

Take some time off. It makes it feel better.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 01:18 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey

- No text -

Take some time off. It makes it feel better.

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:03 (3263 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think I am through with the PoE for a while... Spent 4 hours on Skolas Saturday without killing him. And then this. Not a huge fan of the PoE right now.

Good decision. Go back when you're having fun. *rant*

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:24 (3263 days ago) @ Doooskey
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:46

The game's supposed to be fun, not frustrating. At some point, it becomes hard to remember that fact when you're 2 hours into your HM Crota run and keep fucking up the sword, or 2 hours into your Skolas run and don't get the rockets and positioning perfect. It's hard to just quit. It's a lot easier when you don't put yourself in that position in the first place. "Oh, it will be different this time." No it won't. That shit is STILL hard and STILL frustrating. Just drop it until you know you're all right with investing the effort and time and will enjoy the challenge.

And honestly, what does the challenge get you? A field scout vanquisher with spikes on it and worse stats? A hand cannon demonstrably worse than Fatebringer? A machine gun you can't even get Field Scout on? Gloves that give a 5% chance of orb generation on a fallen punch? Come on. Not worth the effort. These are great rewards for doing stuff already fun, but at some point you've gotta call it off. If playing the game isn't its own reward, you should probably quit that aspect of it for a while.

And it's not about being hard, either. That's not the problem. It's about the game often feeling unfair in those situations, where you have to exploit the game mechanics to win, or hide in a corner constantly and just survive as lame as possible, thereby eliminating the thing that makes Destiny great: the run and gun gameplay. If all I do is crouch behind a wall for 10 minutes popping out occasionally for literally half a second to blast a rocket at Urrox or snipe a wizard, am I playing the game in a fun way? God no. So fuck it. Don't bother. For comparison, Trials is hard as butts. Super fucking hard. Getting to Mercury is very difficult. But, it doesn't feel unfair. When you get stomped, you generally got outplayed. No problem there. You had an equal chance and just lost. During the first few runs, I sucked, barely hitting 5 wins, but by the end, I got 9 flawless wins twice, and topped out all 3 tickets by learning, creating strategy, and playing with other players doing the same thing as me, so, in an even fight, we got the upper hand. In contrast, in PoE, the arc burn on hive is designed to fuck you. The overleveled Skolas is meant to fuck you. You have to overcome the handicap, and it's not fair, and it's often not fun.

I know some people here probably find this fun. Some people used solely the SMG on Halo 2 on Legendary, and I bet they find this fun and challenging. To a lot of us, though, it's soul sucking. So I say fuck it.

I'll just play the other stuff that's more fun. We have raids, dragon strikes, crucible, swell new bounties, new story missions. Tons of stuff. PoE will still be there when you want it.

You aren't wrong.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 02:32 (3263 days ago) @ Funkmon

My main issue with PoE at the higher levels, is how unfun it is. The best way to kill Skolas last week, or the Gate Lord this week? Wait 9 minutes between wipes for two heavy ammo synths. Even on the Hard Mode Crota runs that took 2 hours, you spent the two hours actually playing the game. Not failing every 10 minutes just to wait around for another chance to fail.

There is zero chance I run the 34 again this week, but thank you Lawnmower and Disciple for enduring that with me tonight. It was fun, but not because of the gameplay.

I agree, and I think the PoE is flawed without check points

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 12:30 (3262 days ago) @ Funkmon

I agree with you here. What you describe is exactly how I felt when I played the Skolas PoE on Saturday. It was frustrating to an extreme, and I will not return anytime soon. If Skolas were a checkpoint you could earn, I would gladly do it more, because I could take breaks and try again later, but as it is now, you have to commit to a whole lot of playtime and you may run out of time before you can beat the dude... And if you don't have the time, your progress is wiped. The Hard Mode Crota Fight was hard, but at least it was a loop of about 15-25 minutes of gameplay (The checkpoint)... Skolas is on a loop of 2+ hours and 5 rounds of trash mobs/mini bosses.

Last night, Qodron was fun, even through it was challenging, it felt appropriate. It took us almost a dozen tries, but eventually we figured out something that worked, and didn't feel cheap. It felt like what 3 Guardians would do trap in the same situation. We did hunker down, but we were vulnerable, we had to use everything at our disposal. It was certainly challenging, but we were overcoming the challenge and about to win... My frustration came from the networking error that booted me (and ended the run where we were finally going to emerge victorious). It robbed us of our joy of overcoming the challenge.

The icing on the cake was the odd bug that pulled the other two out of the PoE and into orbit with me. That stuff is frustrating to no end and has nothing to do with gameplay.

A checkpoint system would fix this, and I think is understandable given the difficultly level of Qodron and Skolas.

I will definitely play Qodron again soon (not this week, but next time he is here). It was hard, but we sorted it out.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread