When is enough, enough? (Off-Topic)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 12:34 (3256 days ago)

I'm a big fan of capitalism. Sure, it has some negative effects (child slavery, deforestation, etc.), but it also has within it the seed of solution to those negatives (better, smarter companies have learned how to offset exploitation with innovation: Walmart spawns Costco, etc.). Generally, it's a good system that...I'm sorry, they what? You mean they...

What the hell? Honestly, what the hell are these tv spots? Why do they exist? Have we sunk so low?

When is enough, enough?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 12:50 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

What the? What even is this?

The hell did I just watch?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 04, 2015, 13:40 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

And why does it play "twice"?

I don't even know, man.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 13:41 (3256 days ago) @ ZackDark

And why does it play "twice"?

They are slightly different, I think. I couldn't find a vid of just one spot.

I just want to know why it isn't safe to watch sports tv in the morning anymore.

Come to me, o Sweet Meteor of Death...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 13:54 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Science has gone too far.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 14:14 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Im pretty sure all those negatives predated capitolism

by Durandal, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 14:42 (3256 days ago) @ CyberKN

Child slavery, deforestation, etc all existed before and after the slow introduction of capitalism. Just saying.

Script writers just find it easy to make evil big companies motivated by profit because that is the actual modus operendi of Hollywood.

At least we get dinosaurs for our trouble.

Im pretty sure all those negatives predated capitolism

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:14 (3256 days ago) @ Durandal

Child slavery, deforestation, etc all existed before and after the slow introduction of capitalism. Just saying.

Script writers just find it easy to make evil big companies motivated by profit because that is the actual modus operendi of Hollywood.

At least we get dinosaurs for our trouble.

but how do you excuse cross-promotion this strained?

If people don't like it, it will go away.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:27 (3256 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Like it or not, this kind of thing is voted for democratically, by people and their dollars. If the "strained" cross promotion proves to not be a hit with people, they will not do it again.

If, on the other hand, people like it and watch the Golf channel show, or watch Jurassic World, then they will continue to do it, and there is nothing we have to complain about.

People chose this. We can also vote democratically to end these things by not buying the products.

And in the end, it hurts nobody. This is just stuff for people who like this stuff. We aren't strained by this. It doesn't affect us. Industrial Light and Magic isn't buying a basement full of slave children to run the 1s and 0s that render frames of the Pachycephalosaurus headbutting a car.

If people don't like it, it will go away.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:58 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon

Like it or not, this kind of thing is voted for democratically, by people and their dollars. If the "strained" cross promotion proves to not be a hit with people, they will not do it again.

If, on the other hand, people like it and watch the Golf channel show, or watch Jurassic World, then they will continue to do it, and there is nothing we have to complain about.

People chose this. We can also vote democratically to end these things by not buying the products.

And in the end, it hurts nobody. This is just stuff for people who like this stuff. We aren't strained by this. It doesn't affect us. Industrial Light and Magic isn't buying a basement full of slave children to run the 1s and 0s that render frames of the Pachycephalosaurus headbutting a car.

You're right, except that nobody actually chose this. I defy you to find someone other than the executives behind that that said, "You know what would be awesome? People playing on a Jurassic Park golf course on TV!"
Also, you're taking it too seriously, at least for my comment. I wasn't saying it's hurting anybody, just that it's indefensibly dumb.

We don't know if it IS indefensibly dumb.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 18:09 (3256 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 18:13

People may enjoy this.

For example, I find @Midnight to be an absolutely terrible TV show. It isn't funny, it's poorly set up, the host has no personality other than nerd pandering, et cetera. I cannot, honestly, believe it has fans and is still on the air. And yet, it does have fans, and it does extremely well in the ratings.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's not good for someone.

For another example, I'm going to try to watch that Golf series, because this stupid commercial reminded me of it. If the companies see a sales uptick, they'll keep doing it.

We see shitty cross promotion all the time, and it clearly works or it wouldn't continue. I'll probably buy that dumb Red Bull box with Destiny on it, for example. I bought Game Fuel when it had Halo on it. And, again, I've been reminded of that Golf show, so I will try to watch it.

To reiterate: it does work. When it stops working, it will go away.

So, the defense is that people like it, and it works. Whether this particular campaign will work is up in the air, but in general, terrible cross promotion is effective.

Goddamnit, Funkmon. This is why we can't have nice things.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 18:11 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I also pre ordered Call of Duty for the blacksmith shader.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 18:49 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Doesn't count. It was a cool shader...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 05, 2015, 21:43 (3254 days ago) @ Funkmon

Also, AW was a step in the right direction (though Treyarch is going to show those other two weaksauce dev teams how it's done this year), so it was really just a win-win for Activision on all fronts. And it showed, since AW did better than Activision expected sales-wise. I wouldn't say it was a strained bit of marketing.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, June 05, 2015, 20:43 (3255 days ago) @ Funkmon

People may enjoy this.

For example, I find @Midnight to be an absolutely terrible TV show. It isn't funny, it's poorly set up, the host has no personality other than nerd pandering, et cetera. I cannot, honestly, believe it has fans and is still on the air. And yet, it does have fans, and it does extremely well in the ratings.

Just because we don't like it doesn't mean it's not good for someone.

You're still... I didn't mean it shouldn't be allowed to exist-- iconicbanana may have been saying that, I know some people earnestly believe stuff like this is harmful or a travesty or whatever, I was just saying it's really dumb. Anyway now I suspect your judgment is just skewed because even aside from how I think @Midnight is a great show, if you can't appreciate the any of the comedy or see how genuine Chris Hardwick is, I don't know what's going on in your head.

To reiterate: it does work. When it stops working, it will go away.

So, the defense is that people like it, and it works. Whether this particular campaign will work is up in the air, but in general, terrible cross promotion is effective.

You're admitting it's terrible though, and you couldn't point to anyone that wanted something like this beforehand.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 05, 2015, 21:08 (3255 days ago) @ General Vagueness

You're admitting it's terrible though, and you couldn't point to anyone that wanted something like this beforehand.

Wait - are you suggesting that anything that isn't ASKED FOR by the general public (as opposed to being introduced by a company or inventor) is terrible (or somehow bad)?

This is a really weird view, if you ask me.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 16:15 (3254 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Wait - are you suggesting that anything that isn't ASKED FOR by the general public (as opposed to being introduced by a company or inventor) is terrible (or somehow bad)?

No, I was just saying as far as I can tell no one wanted this, and it seems weird to make something no one wants.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 16:43 (3254 days ago) @ General Vagueness

No, I was just saying as far as I can tell no one wanted this, and it seems weird to make something no one wants.

Tons of new products on the market are things no one wants - because nobody KNOWS they want them, because they don't exist. (Hell, Skymall was a powerhouse for decades based on this idea.)

This particular idea: it's clear that YOU think it's stupid. There are already people in this thread (on a forum that represents a tiny, tiny fraction of the millions of people who play Destiny) who've said they'd buy into this - why do you think you can make a sweeping statement like 'no one wants this'?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 19:21 (3254 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Tons of new products on the market are things no one wants - because nobody KNOWS they want them, because they don't exist. (Hell, Skymall was a powerhouse for decades based on this idea.)

This particular idea: it's clear that YOU think it's stupid. There are already people in this thread (on a forum that represents a tiny, tiny fraction of the millions of people who play Destiny) who've said they'd buy into this - why do you think you can make a sweeping statement like 'no one wants this'?

I didn't say no one wants this, present tense, and I asked if anyone wanted it beforehand, and no one indicated anyone that did.
I know the "I never knew I wanted this" feeling, and that's pretty clearly what they were banking on.
I should've just not responded to that part, or agreed with the sentiment that this was dumb.

One problem

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 19:00 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon

You are assuming that because people watched either the Golf Show or the Jurassic movie, that they did it because of this cross promotion. They really have no way to know that, but if both do good will assume it worked and keep doing it.

Science has not gone far enough!!!

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 19:55 (3256 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Is this normal for TV commercials?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 14:52 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

That was retarded.

But my dad told me about this show they're doing...and it sounds pretty cool. A timed golf competition in pairs with really weird holes, some like 700 yards long. Seems really cool, if done right, and not reality TV style.

The nba has been doing it for years.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 14:57 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 15:02

Hell, Destiny even had one of these. Remember this terrible thing?

But this Jurassic World stuff is next level bad. And next level ubiquitous.

Nothing is sacred.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 15:06 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 15:09 (3256 days ago) @ bluerunner

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 15:11 (3256 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Wait, so I get a Gjallarhorn from a taco bell burrito? Hmm.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 04, 2015, 16:31 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Maybe. Ask Funkmon.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 16:48 (3256 days ago) @ dogcow

Is "Gjallarhorn" Old Norse for "explosive diarrhea?"

-Disciple

Ass in Old Norse means pole.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 16:58 (3256 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I think kukkur or something in Icelandic is poop, but I do know it (or something like it) means penis in Norwegian.

This is all I have for you.

Good to know :p

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 18:36 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:22 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Hell, Destiny even had one of these. Remember this terrible thing?

I thought that was fine, I don't know what your problem with it is.

But this Jurassic World stuff is next level bad. And next level ubiquitous.

Nothing is sacred.

None of those are as dumb as the golf thing, I actually thought the Barbasol one would good, but they didn't anythin different or interesting with it.
Also "sacred" isn't what I'd classify fast food or shaving cream as, or for that matter Destiny or Jurassic Park.

Oh GV, you never cease to make me smile :)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:26 (3256 days ago) @ General Vagueness

- No text -

That Toxic Smell ad...

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 17:48 (3256 days ago) @ iconicbanana

So bad. So, so bad. I had thankfully blocked out that memory. Alas, now it's back...

What are "commercials"?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 19:30 (3256 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"I'll take 'Things on TV' for $600, Alex."

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 19:31 (3256 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 19:37

- No text -

"What is TV?" - Levi

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 05, 2015, 00:06 (3255 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread