In playable location news today, The Martian trailer is out. (Off-Topic)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:01 (3252 days ago)
edited by iconicbanana, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:06

I don't know if this has been out for a while but it was news to me, so...deal with it.

Can't wait to see it. Loved the novel.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:11 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Agreed.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:20 (3252 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Wrote this this morning. ;)

Doesn't seem to be very faithful to the original...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:16 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

[image]

In playable location news today, The Martian trailer is out.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:22 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It does look pretty good, but I really wish they had shown a little more dialogue in that trailer. I know how it ends, who the bad guy is, and how they are going to tug my heart's strings, but I'm not certain where the comedy relief is going to come in (the SNL actor is just too obvious).

Add [spoiler] to this trailer

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:22 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

No room for SP in my original title.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:24 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

At this point though, if you don't want the movie ruined, you should probably know not to watch any trailers. Thanks Hollywood.

No room for SP in my original title.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:53 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I so rarely go to the movies (have toddler) that I'd forgotten how bad they could be. Is this one not epicly bad and just normal these days?

It's horrible bro.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:54 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I so rarely go to the movies (have toddler) that I'd forgotten how bad they could be. Is this one not epicly bad and just normal these days?

This one is tame. It's out of hand at this point.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:29 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

It does look pretty good, but I really wish they had shown a little more dialogue in that trailer. I know how it ends, who the bad guy is, and how they are going to tug my heart's strings, but I'm not certain where the comedy relief is going to come in (the SNL actor is just too obvious).

Wait... who's the bad guy?

Exactly. *slight spoilers*

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:32 (3252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The book had no bad guy. It was just told in audio logs of the guy trying to survive on Mars. The crew tried to help, NASA tried to help, the world tried to help. Zero bad guy.

I don't see one in the trailer, but I hope there's no bad guy.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:54 (3252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I suppose you could argue the risk-adverse guys in NASA were the closest things to villains in the book, but that is a bit of a stretch.

-- Steve rather likes that. We could do with more "man against nature" stories, given that "man against man" is such a massive glut on the market.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:56 (3252 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

They said that NASA decided not to go save him after they got his message. I'm thinking the guy in charge of that decision is Jeff Daniels. They show him with an evil face right before they talk about the mutiny.

That's not quite how it plays in the novel...

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:58 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

Book =\= Spoiler!

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 08, 2015, 20:59 (3252 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

Hah!

Off topic, I like how Game of Thrones is changing it up a little from the books.

Book =\= Spoiler!

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:02 (3252 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Hah!

Off topic, I like how Game of Thrones is changing it up a little from the books.

Yeah, until we know how closely the movie sticks to the book plot, we won't know if you're right or not.

(I'll say, however, that the scene in the trailer does not necessarily contradict the book, and you don't know enough to understand what you saw.)

Book =\= Spoiler!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:03 (3252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hah!

Yeah, until we know how closely the movie sticks to the book plot, we won't know if you're right or not.

(I'll say, however, that the scene in the trailer does not necessarily contradict the book, and you don't know enough to understand what you saw.)

There are major changes. Keep in mind, this comes from a friend of a friend of a friend who saw a cut, so don't consider that reliable. Having not read the book I can't say either.

I heard that it was Viking 2 the whole time!

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:15 (3252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Curiosity, in the rover, with a sampling laser. *NM*

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:20 (3252 days ago) @ Funkmon

CLUE: "The Martian" edition, by Hasbro. Coming soon to a store near you.

Unrelated

by Funkmon @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:53 (3252 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)

I didn't know you lived in London! Let's have an HBO: Ontario meetup!

Toronto boy over here :)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:56 (3252 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Definitely something to ponder.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 14:03 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Wish we had more of this in Destiny

by General Battuta, Monday, June 08, 2015, 21:36 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

When I first heard the game was going to be post-collapse SF confined to the solar system, I was imagining ships that looked like that, with huge radiators and no aerodynamics. Hardsuited explorers picking through ancient ruins on the curve of Olympus Mons. Something like STALKER meets Kerbal Space Program. An aesthetic nearer to the present than Halo's, not farther, with a sense that space was a wide lonely frontier that was challenging to cross and very far from home.

Matt Damon is the antagonist. *Spoiler*

by Oholiab @, Monday, June 08, 2015, 23:37 (3252 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I know because I finally watched "Interstellar" last night.

Matt Damon is the antagonist. *Spoiler*

by Monochron, Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 11:12 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

NEVER trust Matt Damon on an alien planet.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread