So... Halo 5 actually looks pretty darn great (OT) (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 15, 2015, 16:31 (3245 days ago)

I have not been impressed with 343's work up to this point. And who knows how the game will actually hold up once we get our hands on it. But so far, I'm seeing a lot to get excited about with Halo 5:

Not to pin all the credit on a single person, but I think getting Tim Longo on board as creative director was a huge win. He was heavily involved with Republic Commando as well as the 2013 Tomb Raider game, both of which I think are just incredibly videogames. You can see traces of his influence all through this gameplay demo. The way you feel like you're moving through a real, living space that is buzzing with activity. The constant interplay between characters. All looks very promising.

And then there's this:

Again, impossible to tell how well it will actually play, but it sure looks like everything I've ever loved about Halo multiplayer shoved into a single game mode.

Fingers crossed!

So... Halo 5 actually looks pretty darn great (OT)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 15, 2015, 16:56 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

[image]

Probably... LOL!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 15, 2015, 16:59 (3245 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

I've wanted Warzone since I started modding.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 15, 2015, 16:58 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

PvPvE is something I have been trying & wanting to make happen since 2003, so to see it come to fruition irregardless of who is what has sold me on Halo 5. I am positively ecstatic.

That is why I'll be getting it. Also Blue team.

Presuming of course... it delivers. This is E3 after all.

Not really what I want out of Halo

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 15, 2015, 17:08 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Warzone had my interest peaked, but the campaign reveal was pretty disapointing to me.

Halo 4 really ushered in a much more linear Halo, , one that lost some of that kind of freewheeling simulation and open combat. This demo really focused on those elements. In that respect it's kind of disappointing.

Other stuff looked good, though, the guns looked solid, and the command infrastructure has some potential. But I'm still skeptical. I dunno, maybe they can take that command stuff and expand it enough to give Guardian's it's own identity, or maybe it will go more and more scripted like other FPS.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 15, 2015, 17:15 (3245 days ago) @ electricpirate

Warzone had my interest peaked, but the campaign reveal was pretty disapointing to me.

Halo 4 really ushered in a much more linear Halo, , one that lost some of that kind of freewheeling simulation and open combat. This demo really focused on those elements. In that respect it's kind of disappointing.

Other stuff looked good, though, the guns looked solid, and the command infrastructure has some potential. But I'm still skeptical. I dunno, maybe they can take that command stuff and expand it enough to give Guardian's it's own identity, or maybe it will go more and more scripted like other FPS.

Not to harp on the Tim Longo connection too much, but part of what made Republic Commando so much fun was the breadth of the levels, and the amount of improvisation they allowed. Plenty of room to use the squad commands in fun and creative ways. I'm hoping Halo 5 will follow suit. If not, it could all fall flat.

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 15, 2015, 17:30 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not to harp on the Tim Longo connection too much, but part of what made Republic Commando so much fun was the breadth of the levels, and the amount of improvisation they allowed. Plenty of room to use the squad commands in fun and creative ways. I'm hoping Halo 5 will follow suit. If not, it could all fall flat.

Totally fair. Watching E3 is a bit like trying to read the oracles of delphi. "What did they focus on for this trailer, and why did they focus on that thing?" "Is that indicitive, or is it just for the show?"

FWIW that fun open combat that Halo is known for also *shows* incredibly poorly. Pretty much Every Halo since 2 (and honestly, most of CE's E3 showings stunk) has looked pretty bad on stage.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:04 (3245 days ago) @ electricpirate

Totally fair. Watching E3 is a bit like trying to read the oracles of delphi. "What did they focus on for this trailer, and why did they focus on that thing?" "Is that indicitive, or is it just for the show?"

FWIW that fun open combat that Halo is known for also *shows* incredibly poorly. Pretty much Every Halo since 2 (and honestly, most of CE's E3 showings stunk) has looked pretty bad on stage.

Very true. It's difficult to know at this stage whether the H5 E3 demo looked linear because the game actually is, or because it was a demo set up for a stage showing. Time will tell.

Other things looked fun, though. The squad command thing has potential, I actually like the ledge-catching mechanics, and having Buck along should be entertaining.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:23 (3245 days ago) @ stabbim

Other things looked fun, though. The squad command thing has potential, I actually like the ledge-catching mechanics, and having Buck along should be entertaining.

The expanded movement abilities are what I'm looking forward to most. Going back to play Halo 1-3, John sure doesn't feel like the super powered Cyborg he's supposed to be. I'm glad 343 is taking a few pages out of the Crysis book.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, June 15, 2015, 18:22 (3245 days ago) @ electricpirate

100% Agree. I was excited when they started with Buck, and then they lost me two minutes later all over again. I was reminded of every E3 that started with Call of Duty front and center, only this was Halo. Loaded with what looked like butt loads of scripting and QTEs.

Not interested.

'Open World' isn't automatically better than 'Linear'

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, June 15, 2015, 21:37 (3244 days ago) @ electricpirate

You do realize Destiny is an incredibly linear game outside of patrol? Each planet is basically a giant 'level select' menu for you to find your walled-in corridor so you can finish the story mission.

I have hope there will be plenty of diversity in Halo5 mission with how we approach a mission objective with squad commands, the 'Artemis' actions Fireteam Osiris can use and more nimble spartans with the expansion of their abilities and verticality. I don't see how Halo5 should be any more linear than Destiny already is.

I never compared it Destiny or used the term open world

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:04 (3244 days ago) @ MacGyver10

I was comparing H5 to Halo CE-Reach all of which but one were Linear in structure but provided open ended combat

You might describe it as the baggy pipe. A level in Halo is like a pipe, but you occasionally hit these sections where you get some freedom. The combat opens up, and you have some more solutions to the problem. Contrast to most FPS, where the solution space is pretty limited. "Do I use cover or cover B?" and generally it's about reaction time. COD campaigns generally combine a lot of this style of action with huge setpieces, but at their best they break it up (COD2 and MW did a great job of it). Halo did it a lot; wide open Beach assaults, to the AI driven Scarabs, Tsavo highway and the ability to steal tanks or blow them up or the canyons in AOTCR. But it wasn't just the big sections too. Even in the intimate fights the game gave you multiple paths, and the ability to improvise. The stealth lite sections or the 3 way battles.

Halo 4 instead focussed on fewer of these moments. There was lots of bombast, and crazy moments, fewer open spaces and battles that unfolded. This trailer really focussed on the linear, setpiece driven nature, which was disapointing.

Destiny in some ways has the opposite problem. Destinies situations can go really wide open (especially something like the POE), given the huge variety of builds, combinations, and synergies. But it lacks clear setpieces and bombast.

I never compared it Destiny or used the term open world

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 04:12 (3244 days ago) @ electricpirate

Agree 100% with all this.

It sort of relates to getting killed in Bungie's Halos: it rarely ever bothered me! I can play Tsavo, The Storm, The Ark, and The Covenant over and over. More importantly, I can be killed by the last enemy in the area and be totally energized to replay the sequence again immediately. That's all due to the freedom in how I could tackle the situation (besides the pure fun of each of the choices). "Should I take the Warthog or the Gauss? Or the Scorpion? Or the Hornet? Go in on foot with comrades or go in quick and alone to keep my soldiers alive?" Getting killed meant I got to do something completely different and watch how that unfolds.

I'm not against quick-time-events in some games, but I don't think they gel with Halo's core gameplay design.

'Open World' isn't automatically better than 'Linear'

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:58 (3244 days ago) @ MacGyver10

You do realize Destiny is an incredibly linear game outside of patrol? Each planet is basically a giant 'level select' menu for you to find your walled-in corridor so you can finish the story mission.

I have hope there will be plenty of diversity in Halo5 mission with how we approach a mission objective with squad commands, the 'Artemis' actions Fireteam Osiris can use and more nimble spartans with the expansion of their abilities and verticality. I don't see how Halo5 should be any more linear than Destiny already is.

If you can take them at their word, it'll be more open. They said in the recent Game Informer article (it's free) that they have multiple paths and ways to complete objectives as part of the level design, and this Artemis thing can show you some of them (and only Fireteam Osiris gets the Artemis thing).

Looking forward to having new Halo again! (OT)

by MacGyver10 ⌂, Tennessee, Monday, June 15, 2015, 17:47 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm still trying to 'jump-jet strafe' in Destiny every time I play since the Halo 5 beta. I loved that feature and can't wait to get my hands back on some Halo. Will be interesting to see how big the campaign mode will be, especially knowing they can have 12v12vE multiplayer modes! I expect campaign to be huge and love the 4 player co-op skewing they're going for the with Blue Team and Osiris squads!

- MacGyver10

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 15, 2015, 19:30 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It does look very cool, but I think there's a bit too much stuff on screen all the time. It's like they threw every bell and whistle they could in there. Maybe that's what you do for a trailer and the whole game won't be like that, I don't know.

SUPERHOT takes the opposite approach. Minimal and quiet, it reminds me of Mirror's Edge and that Hitman game from a couple years back.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, June 15, 2015, 19:34 (3245 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Republic Commando as well as the 2013 Tomb Raider game, both of which I think are just incredibly videogames.

Undeniably.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, June 15, 2015, 23:03 (3244 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Vortech, Monday, June 15, 2015, 23:07

I'm more looking forward to the Tom Clancy titles, but nobody seems to be showing me enough gameplay. Point for tomb raider.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:44 (3244 days ago) @ Vortech

Agree on that. Somebody said the Tomb Raider demo looked like the first game with snow, but THAT'S WHAT I WANT!!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread