Best ad blocker for iPhone? (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 23:57 (3244 days ago)

So I got an iPhone. Finally. But there's no adblocker on it. Some google searching reveals a bunch of good looking ad blockers, but most are wifi only. 4G is where I'd need to block ads the most!

What do you guys use? I'm looking for something easy, that works on both wifi and 4G, and blocks ads anywhere they appear. I am not interested in alternate web browsers. I don't care if it costs money as long as it works.

Best ad blocker for iPhone?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:03 (3244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"I don't care if it costs money as long as it works"

So get an Android phone? :p

On a serious note, I think to really get a good adblocker, you might have to jailbreak it or settle with an alternative web browser.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:17 (3244 days ago) @ ZackDark

"I don't care if it costs money as long as it works"

So get an Android phone? :p

He said he wanted something that worked... ;)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:09 (3244 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Mobile Safari doesn't really accept plugins like ad blockers currently. It seems your only option for now would be an app that blocks ads. It would be like running an alternate browser. Any app doing such a thing would be Safari's rendering engine underneath but would almost certainly have a different UI. Not sure about access to bookmarks and the Safari Reading List and what not since I don't run any such ad blocker myself. In the fall, with iOS 9, Mobile Safari will work with ad blocking plugins, so there will be a solution eventually... just nothing right now.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:15 (3244 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Mobile Safari doesn't really accept plugins like ad blockers currently. It seems your only option for now would be an app that blocks ads. It would be like running an alternate browser. Any app doing such a thing would be Safari's rendering engine underneath but would almost certainly have a different UI. Not sure about access to bookmarks and the Safari Reading List and what not since I don't run any such ad blocker myself. In the fall, with iOS 9, Mobile Safari will work with ad blocking plugins, so there will be a solution eventually... just nothing right now.

Good to know. I'll just wait until fall I guess. Thanks for the info.

by HuskerAlpha, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 13:20 (3243 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Still not a big fan of this app but it works decently on wifi only. Weblock is the name of the app.

Is there a way to modify the hosts file?

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 13:30 (3243 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Is there a way to modify the hosts file?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 13:53 (3243 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not without jailbreaking the phone I don't think. And that, of course, brings its own advantages and disadvantages.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread