Weird food combinations that you enjoy. (Off-Topic)

by car15, Friday, June 19, 2015, 03:53 (3242 days ago)

I put strawberry jam on my pancakes. I never thought this was weird until my college roommate stared at me one time while I was doing it and asked, "What the hell are you doing?"

Cheese & chocolate spread

by Raflection, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:11 (3242 days ago) @ car15

On toast, toasted sandwich = amazeballs

Beef jerky + chocolate (preferably minstrels)

Any kind of "holy sh*t it burns my eyes" spicey cheese

Also, raspberry instead of strawberry jam on pancakes is nom

Weird food combinations that you enjoy.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:43 (3242 days ago) @ car15

Peanut butter on waffles (and pancakes)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, June 19, 2015, 05:08 (3242 days ago) @ car15

Sometimes I put tea in my honey.

Apparently all the French kids like cocoa+butter on bread.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 06:50 (3242 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

I like Welch's Grape Jelly and Heinz Ketchup on my Pierogies

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, June 19, 2015, 09:40 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Mixing my mashed potatoes and coleslaw together.

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 10:05 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Same, but with mash and baked beans

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, June 19, 2015, 11:21 (3241 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

This

by yakaman, Friday, June 19, 2015, 17:11 (3241 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Ghost Chilli jam and chocolate

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, June 19, 2015, 11:20 (3241 days ago) @ car15

Also Cheddar, Peanut Butter and Ketchup.

The list is not as big as I'd think

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:40 (3241 days ago) @ car15

• French fries dipped in mashed potatoes
  • Corn Flakes and honey (no milk*)
  • Vanilla ice cream and honey

*Duh. I mean, why the hell would I ever pour milk on my Corn Flakes? It washes the sugar off!
Boy, I am so getting diabetes someday...

As a kid I liked Microwave Burritos with Mayo on top.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:41 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Occasionally I dip my chicken nuggets and fries in frosties

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:43 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

This is completely acceptable

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:51 (3241 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

Toast dipped in hot chocolate

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:45 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

A combination that didn't end well...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:03 (3241 days ago) @ car15

While I was in college I did some project work for a company in Memphis. I had just started dating a girl that was working there. One night I called her and asked if she wanted to go grab some barbecue. She said that she was feeling like she was getting the flu, but she would ride with me to pick some up.

Being the nice new boyfriend, I offered to stop by Walgreens and get her some medicine. I ran inside while she waited in the car. It was December, so Walgreens was selling eggnog. I love eggnog, maybe too much. I had to get a quart.

We stopped by Pig-N-Whistle and I got a jumbo bbq sandwich and a huge order of greasy, handmade onion rings. We took it back to her apartment and I ate them while we watched a movie.

Did I say I love eggnog? I really love eggnog, definitely too much. After eating that jumbo bbq sandwich and that huge, greasy order of onion rings, I drank the entire quart of eggnog in about 10 minutes. While we were watching the movie, I felt pressure in my stomach start to build.

Suddenly it hit me. It was like somebody inflated a raft inside of my gut. I dropped off the couch and curled up on the floor. I thought I was going to explode. She didn't know what to do for me. I slowly started crawling across her apartment to the bathroom. Fortunately I made it, and I puked and puked bbq and eggnog.

We continued dating for a good while, but she never let me live that down.

You can't beat a Bluerunner story.....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:25 (3241 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

bluerunner: The fractured but whole

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:36 (3241 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

I dip my pizza in ranch dressing. It's so good!

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:42 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

This is also completely acceptable

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:52 (3241 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

I survived many nights because of this combo

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, June 19, 2015, 13:53 (3241 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Chicken bacon ranch pizza is awesome

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:05 (3241 days ago) @ Kahzgul

My other favorites:
Cheeseburger pizza (mustard base)
Baked potato pizza (ranch based)
Pizza topped with al pastor pork and Worcestershire sauce

Chicken bacon ranch pizza is awesome

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:10 (3241 days ago) @ bluerunner

Putting corn on most pizzas is actually pretty good. Seamingly regardless of the type of pizza.

Everyone who thinks this is all right is wrong.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:23 (3241 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Yeah! Everybody knows ranch is for dipping socks in!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:26 (3241 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:08 (3241 days ago) @ car15

I am amazed by how much of this thread is full of some really, really common things that people eat. I haven't been surprised by any of these yet/have known people who eat these combos.

So while I would hesitate to call it weird, here are some less common things I do with food that I have been teased about:
I eat my hashbrowns with maple syrup.
I will put potato chips in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and then fry them.
This slices of peaches in grilled cheese sandwiches.
Bacon-crecent rolls with cinnamon butter.
And everything is better with garlic hummus.

Oh, and everyone thinks my food is weird because it's Vegan. So I guess that is still a little weird.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:32 (3241 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I am amazed by how much of this thread is full of some really, really common things that people eat. I haven't been surprised by any of these yet/have known people who eat these combos.

I'll agree that most of these seem fairly normal to me. I still think mine is the weirdest, Mayonnaise on a Microwave Burrito.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 18:02 (3241 days ago) @ dogcow

That might just be because mayo on almost anything is just weird.

Going to try the peaches one....

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 16:38 (3241 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Going to try the peaches one....

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 18:03 (3241 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

My experience is provolone is the best cheese option for it. Something less harsh in flavor for the cheese.

I want you guys to know I find you all disgusting now.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:08 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

its ok, I accept this

by Raflection, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:34 (3241 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

This is a depression-era southern thing.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:28 (3241 days ago) @ car15

I doubt you will have been exposed to it unless were raised by southern, depression-era parents like I was.

Peanut butter & mayo sandwiches.

Specifically, peanut butter & mayo sandwiches with some kind of fruit in between.

Perhaps unique to my family: Wheat toast. Miracle Whip. (Some southerners won't eat anything but Duke's mayo.)

Favorite fruit for these sandwiches: banana, of course. Elvis would fry these in butter and that may be what killed him.

Alternative fillers: raisins. Was made fun of at school by yankees. Apples on occasion.

My personal favorite filler: tomato.

All-time supreme favorite sandwich:

PB & mayo & tomato & bacon (salt & pepper to taste)

YUM!

Very nice breakfast pancake substitute: wheat peanut butter toast drenched in corn syrup.

Good eatin'.

Kermit

One more: liver pudding on saltine crackers.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:34 (3241 days ago) @ Kermit

I doubt you will have been exposed to it unless were raised by southern, depression-era parents like I was.

Peanut butter & mayo sandwiches.
Specifically, peanut butter & mayo sandwiches with some kind of fruit in between.
Alternative fillers: raisins. Was made fun of at school by yankees. Apples on occasion.
My personal favorite filler: tomato.

Have you tried topping it with Pickles?

That's gross!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:35 (3241 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

by Bigarm41, Friday, June 19, 2015, 15:16 (3241 days ago) @ Kermit

We did banana and mayo sandwiches. No peanut butter, and that mayo had best be Duke's. None of that lowered fat crap, either. Miracle Whip was for carpetbaggers, son. ;)

I always liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with potato chips in the middle for delicious salty texture.

PB&J+chips=WIN

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 19, 2015, 17:02 (3241 days ago) @ Bigarm41

- No text -

We had a similar depression-era northern thing

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 10:50 (3240 days ago) @ Kermit

Butter and onion sandwich. Just slather some butter on a piece of bread and put a big fat slice of white onion on it. That's all you need!

It's actually surprisingly good as long as you don't mind onion breath for days.

Carrots and chili cheese burritos.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:39 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Dunkaroos & Mint Jelly.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 19, 2015, 15:16 (3241 days ago) @ car15

Not really. Just wanted to mention Dunkaroos. :)

Ruffles dipped in bbq sauce

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, June 19, 2015, 17:20 (3241 days ago) @ car15

Preferably Longhorn BBQ sauce, but choose your favorite.

Wierdest I've seen is my 4 yo niece. She likes to eat what she calls a mustard burrito. It's a heated up tortilla with mustard spread on it, rolled up, and Bon Appétit.

Weirdest thing...

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Friday, June 19, 2015, 17:36 (3241 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I once watched a dude walk down the street eating a straight up block of ramen noodles. Like a hard crunchy block and have never been able to forget it. I just stared at him and couldn't look away.

CC

Weirdest thing...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, June 19, 2015, 17:51 (3241 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

I had a buddy in high school that would open a stick of butter like a candy bar and eat it while he watched tv after school.

Speaking of, I remember one of my favorite after school snacks: a tall glass of milk and a jar of jalapeños. I ate that almost every day.

This reminds me

by Kahzgul, Friday, June 19, 2015, 22:10 (3241 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

I was in Columbia for New Year's this year and I got a street burger that was:

Bun fried in butter
Beef patty
an egg, sunny side up
lettuce
tomato
A BLOCK OF DRY RAMEN NOODLES
ketchup
mayo

It was the best goddamn burger I've ever had in my entire life.

You all sound pregnant.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 23:08 (3241 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Really? All my wife ate was popsicles and saltines.

by Kahzgul, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 18:28 (3239 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Not at the same time, weirdos.

Life's tough. It's tougher when you're a college student.

by Quirel, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 03:52 (3241 days ago) @ car15

Directions for the "I'm hungry but the pantries are bare and I'm too tired to walk to the corner shop" dinner:

Ingredients:

• 1 package of ramen noodles
  • 1 package of Shake 'n Bake bread crumbs
  • 1 package of Cajun-Style Instant Mashed Potatoes
  • ~10 grams of chopped walnuts from the icecream party two weeks ago
  • ~200 grams of paraffin wax, confirmed to be edible by a quick Google search

Heat paraffin in saucepan until it starts to melt. Pay. Close. Attention. To what you're doing. Paraffin will catch fire and burn if you aren't careful with it, and it'll turn brown and taste nasty long before it does that. In fact, as soon as it starts getting soft, you'll want to take your mixture of crushed ramen noodles, Shake 'n Bake, and instant mashed potatoes, pour it on the paraffin, and start mashing it all together. If you didn't have the foresight to prepare the dry ingredients first, mix the mashed potatoes in first. This should give you a greasy sort of caked powder, like wet pie crust.

Once the mixture is complete, scrape it out of the saucepan and into some sort of container. Small bread tins work best, but tupperware will do in a pinch. Dunk the saucepan in the sink and press the walnuts into the ramen/S'nB/potato mix before it can cool.

Really, the paraffin is more of a binder rather than an actual ingredient. If you envisioned sautéing the ramen like Rice Pilaf, that dream is going out the window the moment you remember how much more volatile paraffin is compared to butter. You'll quickly settle for a sort of vegan granola bar.

If you have stool softeners, take three as an after-dinner mint.

I'm sorry, people, but paraffin wax wins.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 20, 2015, 13:01 (3240 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

I can't say I 'enjoyed' it.

by Quirel, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 03:27 (3240 days ago) @ ZackDark

But sometimes inspiration strikes, and you've got to try it. Won't happen again.

What the eff?!

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 04:10 (3240 days ago) @ Quirel

[image]

That...I... THAT'S NOT HOW FOOD WORKS

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 08:19 (3239 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

That. Is how an Engineer prepares dinner.

by Quirel, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 19:50 (3239 days ago) @ someotherguy

I once read that the Soviet Union experimented with food made from petroleum. They needed a supplemental food source so they wouldn't have to buy grain from the West in times of famine.

I still think the idea has merit, even if my culinary experiment wasn't quite pleasant.

/thread

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 12:51 (3239 days ago) @ Quirel

- No text -

I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" it...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 13:02 (3239 days ago) @ car15

... but there was this 1 meal I prepared for myself that will forever remain burned into my memory (and probably my stomach lining).

I was 19 when I moved out on my own. Like most youngsters on their own for the first time, I was flat broke. By the time I covered my rent, bills, and a few drinks on the weekend (19 year-old's priorities, right?) I had about $7 per day left for food. I didn't judge the quality of food by the taste or how healthy it was, I thought about it in terms of "how full per dollar" it would get me.

Pro tip: white chocolate macadamia nut cookies from 7/11 are the closest thing we have in real life to Lambus bread (the Elven bread from Lord of the Rings that'll fill a man's stomach with a single bite). The amount of lard packed in to those things gives them the density of a dying star, and they never - NEVER - go stale.

Back to the point: one night, I was trying to figure out what to have for dinner before rushing off to band practice. I found a box of Mac & Cheese... Win! But being the M&C connoisseur that I am, I couldn't make it using "just water". You NEED milk to do it right. But I had no milk in the fridge, and buying milk was out of the question. But then, just as I was about to give up all hope, I found a potential substitute: a bottle of Hershey's Coffee Crisp milkshake. Desperate times call for desperate measures. "Close enough!" I thought to myself.

Let's just say I didn't end up making it to band practice.

by car15, Tuesday, June 23, 2015, 21:34 (3237 days ago) @ car15

Here's one I forgot. My dad eats sweet gherkins with his red beans and rice. If he doesn't have his sweet gherkins, he throws a fit.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread