The bottom line? (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 00:21 (3251 days ago)

I'm a simple man with two simple questions:

1. Given that I own a physical disc of Destiny for 360 and the two expansions (digitally)... What will it cost me to just purchase TTK as a digital download, no goodies included?

2. Should Santa (read: hard work and steady plodding over the course of the year) provide an XBone this Christmas, how much would it cost me to get all Destiny content on that system?

Thank you!

The bottom line?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 00:27 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

I'm a simple man with two simple questions:

1. Given that I own a physical disc of Destiny for 360 and the two expansions (digitally)... What will it cost me to just purchase TTK as a digital download, no goodies included?

2. Should Santa (read: hard work and steady plodding over the course of the year) provide an XBone this Christmas, how much would it cost me to get all Destiny content on that system?

Thank you!

At the risk of being horribly wrong I think the answers are as follows:

1. I think there is still a minimum $40 digital purchase required to get your 360 version up to date with once TTK comes out. If you really care about having semi-exclusive shaders and whatever, you'll need to pay another $20.

2. While you might be able to buy the base Xbone version of Destiny, have The Dark Below and House of Wolves transfer over from the 360 and then by the $40 TTK digital release, I think your best and easiest bet might be to go ahead and plop down the full $60 for the Xbone legendary edition that will come with everything you need with no fuss. It might be a bit cheaper going the former route but I suspect it will be more convenient to just rebuy the whole thing outright.

The bottom line?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 00:28 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

1. $40.
2. $60. You'll need the base game at least.

Understood. Thank you both!

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 00:30 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

Now I just have to multiple those number by two so the whole family can play!

Worth it just in time saved from opening menus!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 01:06 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

I wonder...

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 01:40 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

The Xbone is supposed to let you play (some of) your old 360 games soon... maybe you won't have to pay when you upgrade. I doubt it though, since it's a current release.

I wonder...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 03:15 (3251 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Yeah. As I understand it, the publishers have to explicitly allow each game for it to become available for emulation. I doubt Activision will do so for Destiny. Surely their preference would be for us to buy the XBone version.

Just remembered

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 17:42 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

If you buy two xbones, you will only need to buy 1 digital copy of the game. You can set one as the home box for the profile that downloads the game, then anyone can play destiny on it regardless of their live account status. Then you can log into the other xbox on your Gold account that purchased destiny and install it there too, without having to pay again. From there on out anything you download on your alternate Xbox using that Gold account will automatically be installed to the home xbox.

Completely forgot about this! Might have to buy a second XB1

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 17:43 (3251 days ago) @ red robber

...eventually.

Just remembered

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 18:10 (3251 days ago) @ red robber

If you buy two xbones, you will only need to buy 1 digital copy of the game. You can set one as the home box for the profile that downloads the game, then anyone can play destiny on it regardless of their live account status. Then you can log into the other xbox on your Gold account that purchased destiny and install it there too, without having to pay again. From there on out anything you download on your alternate Xbox using that Gold account will automatically be installed to the home xbox.

Whoa... Slow down for my slow brain to catch up...

So currently I have two XBL Gold accounts, two 360s, two copies of Destiny, etc. This allows me to play with one of my kids (or two of them to play together). Yes, I would purchase two Xbones. Would I not need to purchase two copies and maintain two Gold subscriptions?

Help me understand what I'm missing!

Just remembered

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 18:18 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

Article on it: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-digital-games-and-live-gold

Only one game, it works like this:

1. Buy digital TTK Legendary Edition (Or Collector's if you are so inclined) on your "home Xbox One" with your account
2. Log in as your account on your second Xbox One
3. Download Destiny to that Xbox, and you can play Destiny as long as you are logged in on the second Xbox
4. Someone can still play Destiny on your "home Xbox One" even when you are not logged in to it.

You'll still need two Gold accounts, but not two copies

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 25, 2015, 18:21 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

Home Xbox gets to play (and, by default, automatically downloads) whichever game your account has.

Your account gets to play whichever game it has, regardless of which Xbox it's playing from.

Let's call them Home Xbox and Away Xbox. You constantly use your account on Away Xbox and your kids will only be able to play your digital games (with their account) on the Home Xbox. Whenever you buy a digital game, it will automatically download on Home Xbox and will be available for your account (and your account only) to play on Away Xbox.

I don't think he needs 2 gold accounts...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 18:29 (3251 days ago) @ ZackDark

The way I understand it as long as he is always logged in on the Away Xbox everyone on his primary Xbox should still have access to XBL Gold. At least that's what I understand from this article: http://news.xbox.com/2013/08/xbox-one-digital-games-and-live-gold

Huh, would you look at that

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 25, 2015, 18:41 (3251 days ago) @ Xenos

That's pretty cool.

I think I got it

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:15 (3251 days ago) @ Xenos

Although if we do get Xbones I'm sure I'll still have questions. Thank you!

I think I got it

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:25 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

I bought 1 digital copy of Destiny. I have two 360s and one Xbone. I can play Destiny on all three since I purchased it through my account, and got the free upgrade from 360 to XB1. My boy can play it on the 360 I set as my "home" 360. That's the one he uses when we play together. He can also play it on my XB1. He can't play it on the other 360.

He has his own gold account, but my daughter does not. She can still play on just my XB1 through the family share, but not on the others.

When I buy a 2nd XB1, we'll treat it just like the two 360s. I will be able to play on both but he can only play on one.

Expansions are different. They're tied directly to each account. I have to buy an expansion for me and one for him.

Here's our setup

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, June 26, 2015, 05:05 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

We have 2 xbones, and only 1 gold live account. My brother's xbox is set as my home account. My xbox does not have a home account setup, I simply stay logged into my xbox and I have the gold. He has a silver account and can play any online game and access all online features as long as he is on his xbox (that is set as my home box).

We do have 2 copies of Destiny (hard copies because digital download wasn't feasible). But we have both TDB and HoW and each was only purchased once. I bought them on my xbox, and they were immediately downloaded onto the home box and available to play without any extra work. I would assume that we could have gotten 1 single digital download to share on both boxes too.

Edit: I know you could do it with one Digital download because when I bought my xbox it came with the digital version of MCC. After I downloaded it, my bro didn't need to put his MCC disk in anymore to play :) It only took 1 month to download it on my 1.5 DSL connection!

I would hope you could get the free 360 to xb1 upgrade to save you some bucks. If so, you may only have to buy the $40 digital TTK expansion for both xbones one time. I'm not sure if a 360 expansion can be uprgaded to xb1 though.

So theoretically on 2 xbones. $60 for vanilla destiny, $20 TDB, $20 HoW = $100 bucks for as many people as you want, with the exception that only the 1 gold account can play on the non-home xbox. Plus another 40 when TTK comes out.

The bottom line?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 02:26 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

I'm a complicated man (understood by only my woman) with complicated questions.

I have base game on 360, and thus also on Xbox one and might like a notated public domain story, but feel like the coin cut out runs a real risk of ruining it for me. I barely ever play on Xbox and never on 360. iirc I have one guardian at level 24. The physical collectors edition is only sold for XBONE.

Should I
1 buy the expansions on 360 and use the upgrade feature to also have them on XBONE (does that work with TTK?)
2. Get the collectors edition with book thingy and thus get my XBONE up to date
3. Get the DVDs with all expansions, thus giving up my disk less existence and re-buying the base game (why is the digital version 80 bucks/ why is there no digital version of the disk release?)
4. None of the above because I play on PS4 and I'm a ray-tard for even thinking about all this?

(I'm like 90% sure I just want the expansion on ps.)

Bonus round: how much time would it take to get my Xbox gal up to 39 so I would get the black tiger shader/bike? This relates to option 1.

I can't remember things...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 02:37 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

I had everything on the 360. When I got the Xbox One, I installed Destiny. I was then worried I'd have to re-buy the expansions. But I didn't need to - they were ready to be downloaded for free.

... But why did that happen, again?

If I buy Taken King, do I get on the 360 for free, too?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 02:48 (3251 days ago) @ Leviathan

I had everything on the 360. When I got the Xbox One, I installed Destiny. I was then worried I'd have to re-buy the expansions. But I didn't need to - they were ready to be downloaded for free.

... But why did that happen, again?

If I buy Taken King, do I get on the 360 for free, too?

There was a special promotion that would let the 360 or PS3s digital version of Destiny and its expansions transfer forward. Nothing has been said yet, but I highly doubt TTK will get the same treatment. Your best bet is to drop your 360 out the window and just support the Xbone version from now on.

Are you following this advice?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 02:57 (3251 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Your best bet is to drop your 360 out the window and just support the Xbone version from now on.

Are you following this advice?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 03:01 (3251 days ago) @ unoudid

Your best bet is to drop your 360 out the window and just support the Xbone version from now on.

My twenty 360 games actually came to life, jumped out the window before I could drop the console, and created a plastic pillow with their carcasses, thus saving the system.

(Also, thanks for the answers.)

This is a possible dilemma for us boners who play on the 360

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 03:40 (3251 days ago) @ unoudid

Obviously the Xbox One is a better experience...but if I want to play with a banana, a French guy, or kill dudes easier in crucible, I go on the 360.

I will be forced to choose the Xbox One version if there is no upgrade package. :(

This is a possible dilemma for us boners who play on the 360

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 04:14 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

Exactly this, but I'm perfectly ok with never wearing my 360 headset again.

Yes... well... as soon as I obtain a high enough window.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 03:53 (3251 days ago) @ unoudid

I'll probably be buying the Xbone at the end of the year to try and capitalize on holiday sells and promotions...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 03:20 (3251 days ago) @ Leviathan

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread