The cost of Destiny (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:09 (3251 days ago)

All the talk over the past couple days (I do read the forums, even though I don't frequently chime in) got me thinking about the cost of Destiny in my own life. I ran some numbers:

Four people in my house play Destiny using two copies that in total cost approximately $200 [(disc+expansion pass)*2]. Our total play time is approximately 654.75 hrs since launch, although that's not including two alternate characters. That amounts to an entertainment cost of $0.31/hour.

I had no idea how that compared to similar forms of entertainment. Even though playing Destiny (or any video game) with my kids is way more interactive than watching a movie with them, that activity seemed like a good comparison for understanding entertainment cost.

I recently took two of my kids to see Avengers: Age of Ultron in the theaters. They still qualify for the child rate, and we went to a matinee, so I got off easy at $28.50 total cost. The movie is 2.35 hrs long, not including previews, so in total man-hours, 7.05 hrs. This amounts to an entertainment cost of $4.04/hour. That's 13 times the cost of our Destiny playtime!

Before we went to the movie, we watched Thor 2. It cost us $5.99 to rent from iTunes. All five of us watched it at 1.86 hrs long for a total of 9.3 man-hours. Entertainment cost: $0.64/hour. Still twice the cost of Destiny in our house.

However... the real value for me and my kids is the time spent together. So I figured I should recompute the values based on only two of us playing or watching a movie to see what the cost is for that entertainment and interaction time.

Destiny: I had no way to figure out how much time was spent playing together, so I guessed that half the time two people are playing together. So $200/327 hrs = entertainment and interaction cost: $0.62/hour

Theater: Me plus one = $19.50. Total man-hours = 4.7. Entertainment cost: $4.14/hour.

Rental: Me plus one = $5.99. Total man-hours = 3.72. Entertainment cost: $1.61/hour.

It seems that for our household, the cost of Destiny is significantly lower than similar forms of entertainment, not to mention offering much more interaction than those other forms. Plus, since we only play when we want to play, it's always fun, no matter what activity we choose to do in that instance. If instead we feel like playing a board game, or Halo, or LEGO Marvel, or going out in the triple-digit heat, we do those things instead. As a result, we have yet to get tired of the game. We still look forward to logging on and cranking out some bounties.

In the end, Destiny is one of many means to an end: spending time with family and friends building relationships and forming memories. And it happens to be very economical for us. Just don't tell Activision (:

I am learning today that things are expensive elsewhere.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:13 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:19

Matinees are $5! I rented a new release movie from the video store for $2.50!

Am I living in a world permanently on sale?!

EDIT: I forgot to actually write something about what you said. The last part is important. When playing Destiny you're forming bonds and memories. It's not quite comparable to going for a hike together or going on vacation together, but it's also much easier and more accessible. Good luck getting the kidlets to go take a walk in the woods without a Dairy Queen ice cream cone at the other end of it. ($1.00, right?)

For your family, it is an easy way to unwind and have fun.

For other families, say, where one is across the world, Destiny is one of the only ways they can really interact, because the netcode is so good the 400ms ping doesn't matter.

When my dad Skypes me from China, we just talk for 5 minutes, he tells me about some gross stuff he ate, and we're done. If he played Destiny, we'd have a much easier time spending time together.

When I am away, I just don't talk to my family unless they call me. I say "bye" and then talk to them again months later when I need a ride from the airport, because talking on the phone don't mean shit to me. If we had a video game to play together, I'd spend some more time with them. I'm a bad person, but whatever.

video store? There hasn't been a Blockbuster here in eons

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:16 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

You still have video stores near you??

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:17 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'm an HD snob when it comes to movies, but too cheap to go Blu-Ray.

Walking distance. Don't you?!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:23 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Funkmon, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:28

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Family+Video+-+Waterford/@42.6380952,-83.3791628,618m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m18!1m15!4m14!...

BTW: I updated my post with an actual comment regarding what you actually said.

EDIT: Okay, I might have overestimated how many of these stores there were.

[image]

I assumed there were more.

You can walk to stores?!

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:30 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I refuse to believe you can't walk to stores.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:34 (3251 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Heh.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:49 (3250 days ago) @ Funkmon

Best part about the move two years ago from suburban Connecticut to Seattle:

A trip to the closest grocery store went from a 20 minute drive to a 2.5 block walk.

(The CT store closed at 10 every night. The WA store is open 24/7.)

I can now go down and get basil if Becky's in the middle of cooking something and realizes she's out, and be back before the pot's boiled over. That was completely impossible before.

Heh.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:56 (3250 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You moved from CT to WA? When was this? Probably sometime between Halo 3 & Destiny. Where in CT were you? I spent a few years in CT.

Heh.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:58 (3250 days ago) @ dogcow

You moved from CT to WA? When was this? Probably sometime between Halo 3 & Destiny. Where in CT were you? I spent a few years in CT.

Summer of 2013, so post-Halo 4, pre-Destiny.

I was in Bethany, which is a tiny town about 10 miles north of New Haven (and maybe 30 miles south of Hartford). Center of the state east to west, near the bottom.

Heh.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:21 (3250 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Waterbury was the closest I got to Bethany. Bethany is a hopping metropolis compared to some of those towns in the north-east corner of the state. (I'm looking at you Kent, Cornwall, Goshen, & Litchfield.

Heh.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:03 (3250 days ago) @ dogcow

Waterbury was the closest I got to Bethany. Bethany is a hopping metropolis compared to some of those towns in the north-east corner of the state. (I'm looking at you Kent, Cornwall, Goshen, & Litchfield.

Heh - 4900 people in 21 square miles, with horse farming as the largest industry, is hardly a hopping metropolis... but I get your point. :)

I refuse to believe you can't walk to stores.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:24 (3250 days ago) @ Funkmon

I guess I could, but it would be at least an hour to the closest store. Where I grew up it would have been a 2 day journey.

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:40 (3250 days ago) @ Funkmon

Is that Troy, NY I see on your map? Spent a year there living in the basement of a brownstone. 17 years ago. Memories...

Nope. Michigan. The city on the center right is Pontiac.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:08 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

- No text -

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:56 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

Is that Troy, NY I see on your map? Spent a year there living in the basement of a brownstone. 17 years ago. Memories...

Ahh the good old tri shitty area. I used to live in scheectady.

The cost of Destiny

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:25 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

In the end, Destiny is one of many means to an end: spending time with family and friends building relationships and forming memories. And it happens to be very economical for us. Just don't tell Activision (:

That right there is my exact thought on this. I did the math yesterday $355 spent on the game and around 1500 hours of gameplay brings me to around $0.24/HR of current entertainment. around 70%-80% of that time has been spent playing with friends and building new relationships. I think I have gotten great value from time and money.

The cost of Destiny

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:28 (3251 days ago) @ Oholiab

Awesome post. I really am excited for the days when my son is old enough to play games with. So jealous!

I did a similar computation during my heavy WoW playtime and found that it was saving me money because I would just pay $10 a month in subscription fees rather than $60 for a whole new game (or $120 for two games).

Unfortunately, Destiny's cost isn't so cut and dry for me.

My wife doesn't play and my kid is too young for me to play any game with guns in front of him. That means my time playing Destiny is strictly alone and about 50% in opposition to spending time with my wife (I only play after the kid is in bed, and about half of that playtime is while my wife is at work so there's no opportunity cost there). I view my Destiny play as more of a social mixing with my friends. TBH, if none of them are online, I usually don't even load up the game.

So while money-wise the cost is totally worth it (even though I'm not having nearly as much fun with the game these days), the real cost of the game to me is opportunity cost. What other games am I neglecting simply to be in chat with my friends? The answer is 100% of my xbox games, since my pals chat on PS4. So The Witcher 2 and 3, Bioshock: Infinite, Saits Row the Third, Massive Chalice (this game is great), Dying Light, Assassin's Creed 4, State of Decay... All games I'd rather be playing, but am not because chatting with my friends trumps that and I can presently only chat with them on PS4. For which my only games are Destiny and Warframe. I'll probably end up re-wiring my headset so I can chat in PS4 while playing xbox games. First world problems, yo.

The fundamental unresolved tension in the design of destiny

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:44 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

The standard response, and one that I sympathize somewhat with, is that the same content is stretched pretty thin by the rewards system. For Me, as a player who entered Destiny at the release of HoW, that has been less of an issue. I've been spared from some of the worst grinds, so while I've probably had less overall playtime to get to level 29, it's been of higher quality.

All that said, even if Destiny maitains it's current ratio of content to cost for expansions and DLC, I think it's generally a fair deal, and a better deal than many other games. Destiny has much higher costs to continue than a halo or a call of duty. It requires a massive matchmaking infrastructure. It's got an active team maintaining servers, teams working on patches and content for all players etc etc. Traditionally you fund that either through subscription costs or microtransactions. Destiny has neither, instead it' funded through expansions. The way I see it, I view 10 dollars of every expansions as "Server funds."

The anxiety over amount of content gets at a fundamental, unresolved tension in Destiny. Destiny is a game designed for you to replay it, but the content feels like it's designed to be consumed and discarded. The problem is exacerbated the reliance on a few design tropes (eg: How many boss fights involve a bullet sponge ringed by cover with a massive damage weapon where adds spawn in? Sekiron, Valus T'Arc, the Ogre on the moon, so over half the original strikes used this design.) The large complexity of the build system, and the addition of more players helps this. Additionally there are some bandaids in place, some of which work really well (Nightfalls, heroics), some are less successful (patrol missions, bounties). POE is designed to address this problem, but I haven't been able to try it out yet. It's not totally sufficient though, and I think that's where a lot of the problem lies.

I think you can tackle it in a few ways, and I dislike specific suggestions, so I'll keep them vague.

1. More procedurality in the content. Enemies that spawn in randomly? Encounters that play out differently every time? this goes against Bungie's central "Polish it or cut it ethos" in a lot of ways, but I think something along these lines could help. Yea, sometimes you'll get unsatisfying content, but the variety and the peaks make up for it. Sometimes Bungie has a tendency to over polish so maybe this would help them ;)

2. Non binary win states Reward people not just for completing the strike, but for HOW They completed it. Halo's scoring system was never successful, but I think it was on the right track. This turns each strike from being about, "How do I get through" to being about "How do I MASTER" this thing. The road to mastery is longer.

3. More lose states. How does a strike change if it's on a timer? How does a strike change if you have to keep some bauble alive through the whole thing? Having ways to fail that aren't "Got out of cover for too long" could do wonders. Ideally you can start mixing and matching to create wildly different experiences even with the same basic content.

If there is content that is deeply repayable, I think the communication about the value proposition of smaller amounts of content becomes easier.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:55 (3250 days ago) @ electricpirate

I would love to see all of your suggested implemented. Procedurally generated encounters would be a huge plus, and PoE does some of this (though weekly, not per run) already, which is nice, though the overall feel of PoE seems to force players to hide behind cover more often than actually make use of the combat space, which is super disappointing because the result is that even the different fights feel basically the same since the tactics are identical for all but the skolas fight.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:10 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I would love to see all of your suggested implemented. Procedurally generated encounters would be a huge plus,

No. You need the hand of a skilled designer to craft encounters that are going to be unique and challenging. Procedurally generated content is just never going to measure up to an actual person making the fights. If an algorithm could make a strike or a raid, we'd have a lot more than we do now.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:28 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I would love to see all of your suggested implemented. Procedurally generated encounters would be a huge plus,

No. You need the hand of a skilled designer to craft encounters that are going to be unique and challenging. Procedurally generated content is just never going to measure up to an actual person making the fights. If an algorithm could make a strike or a raid, we'd have a lot more than we do now.

A skilled designer can craft procedure as well. Do you think roguelike games are awful because the levels are procedurally generated? Hate Diablo and The Binding of Isaac? While the only procedurally generated FPS I can think of is Tower of Guns (not great in my esteem), I can imagine a Destiny where the strike dictates the tileset, enemy faction, and which bosses are available (pick 3 from a pool of 9, or 2 minibosses from a pool of 6 and 1 final boss from a pool of 3), and where you don't know the layout of the rooms, where cover will be, and what order they'll appear in. This is not impossible to do and is not out of the technical bounds of what is already being done. Procedure does not equal random. It equals variance.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:29 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

A skilled designer can craft procedure as well. Do you think roguelike games are awful because the levels are procedurally generated? Hate Diablo and The Binding of Isaac?

Yes actually.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:45 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, then we're going to have to agree to disagree there.

by electricpirate @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 02:40 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by electricpirate, Friday, June 26, 2015, 02:48

No one ever said it was easy to do it. but lord when they do it right is it great.

I mean if you want challenging and unique that's like exactly what great procedural systems do. Also, don't discount novelty, it's a powerful foce.

Procedurality is on something of a spectrum. You can have highly procedural stuff like No Man's sky, or lightly procedural stuff or it can use a lighter touch like 2012's xcom. A game I worked on last year (http://www.indiecade.com/games/selected/geneses/) used it to create new maps each round, we could still have tight control over the overall play style, just the kind of details changed each time. We did this by having profiles for how dense the maps were, and size, which could create these really varied types of play.

PoE 32/34 are not randomly generated

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:54 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I would love to see all of your suggested implemented. Procedurally generated encounters would be a huge plus, and PoE does some of this (though weekly, not per run) already, which is nice, though the overall feel of PoE seems to force players to hide behind cover more often than actually make use of the combat space, which is super disappointing because the result is that even the different fights feel basically the same since the tactics are identical for all but the skolas fight.

When I first heard about PoE I was very excited to have random modifiers. "More thinking on the fly and less memorized strategies -- that's just what we need!" I shouted. Week 1 I was sad to find out that wasn't the case, but I was consoled by the thought that, "At least it will be random next week." Alas, it was not -- the 32 Urrox was the same as the 34 Urrox. "Well at least it will be different the next time Urrox comes up," I whispered. But Tuesday we learned that no modifiers in PoE 32/34 are random -- this week Urrox's 5 waves are exactly the same as week 1.

"Why did I think they'd be random?" I wondered. I retreated to the Destiny archives and quickly discovered my mistake. The Prison of Elders is described as "Four, three round waves against randomly selected enemy races and gameplay modifications," but does not say this description only applied to the level 28 Prison. Further, the reveal video described the 28 Prison as having "random" modifers and "matchmaking". The 32/34/35 were described as not having matchmaking, but the modifiers were never specifically discussed. "I can't be the only one who was confused about this," I said to myself as I sulked in my armchair.

PoE 32/34 are not randomly generated

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:04 (3250 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

When I first heard about PoE I was very excited to have random modifiers. "More thinking on the fly and less memorized strategies -- that's just what we need!" I shouted. Week 1 I was sad to find out that wasn't the case, but I was consoled by the thought that, "At least it will be random next week." Alas, it was not -- the 32 Urrox was the same as the 34 Urrox. "Well at least it will be different the next time Urrox comes up," I whispered. But Tuesday we learned that no modifiers in PoE 32/34 are random -- this week Urrox's 5 waves are exactly the same as week 1.

"Why did I think they'd be random?" I wondered. I retreated to the Destiny archives and quickly discovered my mistake. The Prison of Elders is described as "Four, three round waves against randomly selected enemy races and gameplay modifications," but does not say this description only applied to the level 28 Prison. Further, the reveal video described the 28 Prison as having "random" modifers and "matchmaking". The 32/34/35 were described as not having matchmaking, but the modifiers were never specifically discussed. "I can't be the only one who was confused about this," I said to myself as I sulked in my armchair.

Wow. That's really, really disappointing to learn. But thank you for doing the research for it. Man, that's a bummer.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:08 (3250 days ago) @ electricpirate

This is something I am hoping is improved with The Taken King. It seems they've shown a lot of things they are doing to assuage complaints players have, so I am hoping that some more re-playable content is one of the things they are working on.

This is not a valid comparison

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 19:52 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

Destiny you get to play over and over. The movie you see once then leave.

Don't get me wrong, I am constantly on the fence, is Destiny really worth it. I have put in a lot of time, but as others have said, it's doing non-fun stuff. But this is apples to oranges.

A bit closer would be comparing other games, or a movie you bought. For example I bought Baseketball when I was in college for like $10. We watched it almost every damn day. Let's guess and say we watch it 100 times that year. At 1.5 hours (it's really like 1.67 but whatever) thats 150 hours. That comes out to $.066666 per hour enjoyed. As you said, Games are different though.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:55 (3250 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Don't get me wrong, I am constantly on the fence, is Destiny really worth it. I have put in a lot of time, but as others have said, it's doing non-fun stuff. But this is apples to oranges.

A bit closer would be comparing other games, or a movie you bought. For example I bought Baseketball when I was in college for like $10. We watched it almost every damn day. Let's guess and say we watch it 100 times that year. At 1.5 hours (it's really like 1.67 but whatever) thats 150 hours. That comes out to $.066666 per hour enjoyed. As you said, Games are different though.

I take books out of the library - I get 5-10 hours of enjoyment out of each, for a total cost of $0/book (plus $0/library card).

How does this compare?

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:05 (3250 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Libraries are consistently one of the best investments a society can make.

Completely agree with you! Huzzah!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:04 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Woot! My work here is done.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:16 (3250 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:07 (3250 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Still apples to oranges, as it's not something you own and use over and over again. That's the thing games are just a different beast. Even my example is not apples to apples.

but as everyone said, that's why Library's are awesome. Also your taxes paid for that, who knows what amount, but it's technically not 0 :)

by Oholiab @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:33 (3250 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I hear ya. It was tough coming up with a comparison for economic purposes. Other games are probably a good metric, and I had no good way of quantifying time spent playing them.

It was an interesting thought exercise for me, and maybe not worth posting because I was only thinking of my own experience and perception of value.

As for doing things in Destiny that are not fun, my kids and I haven't hit that point yet. I'm guessing that our frequency-of-play is less than most, so the content has yet to get old or feel repetitive. Put another way, our "content intake" is slower, so the timing of the expansions has thus far been just about right for us. I also really appreciate the variety of activities available, and we all avoid those we don't enjoy. Then again, everything is more fun when you're playing with those you love - even the Crucible...

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:09 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab

Totally, and to be clear not putting down the post just saying how it's not really clear. If you are on Xbox, it does tell you time for every game. As I said in response to Claude, there really isn't a comparison, it's much more personal so it's hard to distinguish.

And true, playing with others is always better.

Baseketball is great.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:14 (3250 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Good choice.

Best investment in my life

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:08 (3250 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Too bad I did end up losing the DVD

Best investment in my life

by squidnh3, Friday, June 26, 2015, 16:32 (3250 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

What an unfortunate thing to happen on Dozen Egg Night!

Steeeeeeve Perry.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, June 26, 2015, 16:34 (3250 days ago) @ squidnh3

I hear your mom's dating squeak!

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, June 26, 2015, 17:41 (3250 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

The cost of Destiny

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:03 (3250 days ago) @ Oholiab
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:12

I really wish this idea of $/hr for entertainment would go away. First of all, it just assumes that all hours spent have the same entertainment value. Clearly they don't. Destiny in particular has a lot of 'empty' hours, where you are repeating stuff, grinding exp, trying to get a Hawkmoon, etc.

Second of all, money sometimes even can't quantify an experience. If you could have the absolutely most amazing time of your life, but it cost $100/hr, would you not do that because it's not a good 'value'? No. You have to weigh the intensity and overall satisfaction of the fun.

This is exactly the line of thinking that drew JRPGs to be longer and longer, but not making them any better. And it's also the same line of thought that drives Destiny's experience, as evidenced by everything Bungie and Activision are saying (not to mention them using the three hour per day average metric).

When we make movies, we make them as short as possible. If you can get everything you want to get across in a 3 minute scene, as opposed to a 5 minute one, you go with 3 minutes. If something goes on too long without actually providing benefit, people get bored and their minds wander. You want them in that movie every second. Have you ever hear anybody complain a movie was too short? Say that Guardians of the Galaxy only gave them two hours of entertainment, when Titanic gave them three? No! In fact, most complaints about films are that they are TOO LONG.

So why aren't games made like that? Why aren't they the absolute most concentrated experience that can be provided, with all the fluff and bullshit removed, and just leave the fun? They should be, and they largely used to be.

The cost of Destiny

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:09 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

While I completely agree with you, I will say that Martha Marcy May Marlene was too short; it ended at the climax with no resolving action.

Also, I would watch a 6 hour cut of The Thin Red Line. I heard it exists, and I want to see it.

Oh yeah, and the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings movies were all better than the theatrical releases (but the Hobbit films should have been combined into a 20 minute short).

I complain films are too short all the time.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:48 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I love long movies. I even love the extended editions of The Hobbit that PJ puts out. Fucking love em. For real.

If I heard Jurassic World was 4 hours long, I would buy a ticket in a second.

To me, movie length is often the deciding factor in if I will see a movie.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:15 (3250 days ago) @ Funkmon

I love long movies. I even love the extended editions of The Hobbit that PJ puts out. Fucking love em. For real.

What if I told you the best movie last year was only 107 minutes? Would you not want to see it because it's too short? Or would you want to because it's amazing?

Whiplash was 1:47 which is 107 minutes. EDIT cause duh.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:32 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:02

- No text -

Whiplash was 147 minutes long :P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 21:53 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

107 minutes is 1:47.

Whiplash was 147 minutes long :P

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:03 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I failed hard at reading comprehension. At least we agree that Whiplash was the best movie last year!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:07 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What if I told you the best movie last year was only 107 minutes? Would you not want to see it because it's too short? Or would you want to because it's amazing?

I'd say your taste in movies and mine aren't the same. :)

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:11 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you told me that movie was the best last year, but there was a just "good" movie that was 3.5 hours long, and you had both of them on tape, I'd suggest we watch the long one.

The cost of Destiny

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 20:48 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have you ever hear anybody complain a movie was too short? Say that Guardians of the Galaxy only gave them two hours of entertainment, when Titanic gave them three? No! In fact, most complaints about films are that they are TOO LONG.

Sure. I'd use the recent movie version of Ender's Game as an example. A lot of my friends and I thought it generally did the book justice but felt that it moved too quickly from scene to scene. That while it did an ok job with any plot point it tried to show, it could have taken a little more time to add a bit more weight or emotion or understanding in various places.

So why aren't games made like that? Why aren't they the absolute most concentrated experience that can be provided, with all the fluff and bullshit removed, and just leave the fun? They should be, and they largely used to be.

Differences of opinion, mainly? What some see as a waste of time others see as good or necessary.

the corrolary forgame designers is simplicity

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:58 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The cost of Destiny

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:04 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Second of all, money sometimes even can't quantify an experience. If you could have the absolutely most amazing time of your life, but it cost $100/hr, would you not do that because it's not a good 'value'? No. You have to weigh the intensity and overall satisfaction of the fun.

What are you implying?

i think he means hookers.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:05 (3250 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

That's what I thought.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:09 (3250 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Or a very high quantity of drugs!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:16 (3250 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:31 (3250 days ago) @ cheapLEY

First of all, acid is cheap. Like, really cheap.

Second of all I had nothing particular in mind. Hypothetical.

I liked how he didn't deny any of the options :)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:02 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

yeah. More like a hookerthetical example

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:25 (3250 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:03 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

First of all, acid is cheap. Like, really cheap.

I know, that's why I said a very high quantity. If you dropped $100 worth of acid in an hour, you'd definitely be insane.

No, you would be dead.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:32 (3250 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

:-0

by yakaman, Friday, June 26, 2015, 11:16 (3250 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

The cost of Destiny

by Harmanimus @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:39 (3250 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I will always consider the concept of the $/hr value system to be a valid metric for rating a quantitative value to something. Now, the comparison when sterilized of qualitative reasoning is questionable. Howevet if you qualify similar media, then a comparison with disparate media is also viable.

My primary reasoning there is that it is a measurement to apply qualitative value to. If there are 2 films I see in theaters that have identical run times, my cost per hour is the same. From that we derive if I, as an individual, feel that my expenditure was worthwhile at those rates for either film. I will value a film I enjoyed more, even at a higher per hour cost because of that factor. The same thing is often used to compare the consumption of food. I prefer a latte from Starbucks for reliability, but will get one from a boutique establishment if their quality matches additional cost. Or as sometimes is the case, matches reduced cost.

Sterile data of cost per hour doesn't work, sure. But qualifying my cost of 0.32/hr as it currently stands with the amount of joy and appreciation of quality experiences is something altogether different. I've seen you just as easily dismiss the purely quality reasoning of "I enjoy this concept" just as you suggest dismissal of a quantitative measure here. Are you opposed to the ideas together as well?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread