Cody, I think I know how you can keep playing (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 22:55 (3252 days ago)

This $20 overinflated price thing for three dance moves, three shaders, and three XP things is clearly not a microtransaction. The pricing is so outlandish for this content that I think we can call it a macrotransaction. Is that a thing? Did Bungie just make something new? Has anyone else thought of this? Either way, based on verbage alone, I think you can keep playing Destiny. Now all you have to do is hope that they don't legitimately go the microtransaction route.

Cody, I think I know how you can keep playing

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:29 (3252 days ago) @ Avateur

Now all you have to do is hope that they don't legitimately go the microtransaction route.

I don't know. Destiny is just a huge time sink to be able to play it the way I want to play it (with sweet stuff, and using that sweet stuff on all the hardest content). More than it should be.

I might be out either way. Dunno yet. I'll see if Trials cheers me up this weekend.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 23:39 (3252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmm, well then I better remember to not ask you to play trials with me. So far that's just depressing failure for people. :)

We should make a guild... ;)

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:14 (3252 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

by petetheduck, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:01 (3252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now all you have to do is hope that they don't legitimately go the microtransaction route.

I don't know. Destiny is just a huge time sink to be able to play it the way I want to play it (with sweet stuff, and using that sweet stuff on all the hardest content). More than it should be.

I might be out either way. Dunno yet. I'll see if Trials cheers me up this weekend.

With Destiny, it seems like we just consume. There aren't community projects like there were at HBO. Do we let the game dictate too much about what we get out of it?

Game nights at HBO were a thing. There were write-ups. It felt substantial. Here, we arrange our LFG, get our RNG, and the only related posts that tend to turn up on the forum are apologies for absences afterwards.

Our forum is basically an auxiliary comments section for articles posted on other sites. There's no story discussion happening here.

We have become a dead thing made by a dead power in the shape of the dead.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:41 (3252 days ago) @ petetheduck

With Destiny, it seems like we just consume. There aren't community projects like there were at HBO. Do we let the game dictate too much about what we get out of it?

Game nights at HBO were a thing. There were write-ups. It felt substantial. Here, we arrange our LFG, get our RNG, and the only related posts that tend to turn up on the forum are apologies for absences afterwards.

Huh. I always felt like CruelLEGACEY's write ups were exactly like what the HBO write ups were like.

by petetheduck, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:45 (3252 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Huh. I always felt like CruelLEGACEY's write ups were exactly like what the HBO write ups were like.

And he's also been doing that Destiny Raider site. Yup, good stuff from him.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, June 26, 2015, 01:17 (3252 days ago) @ petetheduck

Heh. Do you really think the Destiny narrative is strong enough to give rise to interesting story discussion? I've seen about three really good ones over at reddit. Only THREE. And reddit is way bigger than MSP or HBO ever was.

by petetheduck, Friday, June 26, 2015, 01:29 (3252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Heh. Do you really think the Destiny narrative is strong enough to give rise to interesting story discussion? I've seen about three really good ones over at reddit. Only THREE. And reddit is way bigger than MSP or HBO ever was.

Guardian Radio's lore segments have me thinking yes.

In-Game Narrative, so far? Nah. Lore? Sure.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 26, 2015, 01:43 (3252 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

I thought my item manager review was pretty swell. :(

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 09:10 (3251 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

It was

by petetheduck, Friday, June 26, 2015, 10:39 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

I hope you and Claude realize I was talking in general, and not in absolutes.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:46 (3251 days ago) @ petetheduck

- No text -

I'm moving from DIM to TG because of it.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:00 (3251 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Agreed. Didn't realize what I was missing.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:00 (3251 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

I'm primarily a story/lore guy....

by yakaman, Friday, June 26, 2015, 11:15 (3251 days ago) @ petetheduck

Our forum is basically an auxiliary comments section for articles posted on other sites. There's no story discussion happening here.

...and there's just so little in that department. From the 10,000 foot view, most discussion here revolves around loot. Not story or speculation or whatever. Loot. Loot?

My very highest hope is that with much of the meta worked out in D1, Bungie pushes the story aspect in D2. I wonder though, in a game-world-style such as Destiny will story ever take center stage? Or does story live best in the single-player universe?

Sometimes, in my darkest moments, I wonder if Halo's story was good, or if the brilliant HBO community made it so.

by Avateur @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 14:01 (3251 days ago) @ yakaman

Sometimes, in my darkest moments, I wonder if Halo's story was good, or if the brilliant HBO community made it so.

H1 and H2, yes. H3 does a good job of taking the wind out of a ton of what came before it, but it does manage some good story at times. ODST has a great story. Reach's was mostly bad. Halo 4's is Star Wars prequel bad, but I don't know if that should be counted since it wasn't Bungie. Marathon's story was awesome. So, somewhere in there at some point long ago, Bungie did do some great things with stories. The Grimoire is awesome, but will that writing ever get transplanted into the game? If they can't get it together by Destiny 2, I suppose we'll know if that's all gone.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 26, 2015, 16:55 (3251 days ago) @ yakaman

...and there's just so little in that department. From the 10,000 foot view, most discussion here revolves around loot. Not story or speculation or whatever. Loot. Loot?

My very highest hope is that with much of the meta worked out in D1, Bungie pushes the story aspect in D2. I wonder though, in a game-world-style such as Destiny will story ever take center stage? Or does story live best in the single-player universe?

That's sort of what happened with Marathon as well. We share some hopes and some dark moments.

You set yourself up Cody. (Debby Downer Post)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:14 (3252 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm working on my mega post. Saw this. Felt it prudent to post now.

Ahem.

From the Bungie-Activision Contract

as part of the Destiny Games Licensor shall also produce DLC Releases as mutually agreed by the parties in the time periods between retail Destiny Games and Comet releases. The expected business model for the Products is a blend of retail packaged goods sales (although the parties acknowledge and agree that the
future retail model for iterations of the Destiny Games may be via digital download rather than disk or packaged goods), subscriptions, downloadable content, value-added services and micro~trarrsactions, the exact mix of
which shall be determined by mutual agreement of Licensor and Activision. Pricing strategy for the Products shall be subject to mutual approval, provided in the event of a deadlock, Activision shall have the tie-breaking vote.

What say you, Bungie community?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:17 (3252 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm working on my mega post. Saw this. Felt it prudent to post now.

Ahem.

From the Bungie-Activision Contract

as part of the Destiny Games Licensor shall also produce DLC Releases as mutually agreed by the parties in the time periods between retail Destiny Games and Comet releases. The expected business model for the Products is a blend of retail packaged goods sales (although the parties acknowledge and agree that the
future retail model for iterations of the Destiny Games may be via digital download rather than disk or packaged goods), subscriptions, downloadable content, value-added services and micro~trarrsactions, the exact mix of
which shall be determined by mutual agreement of Licensor and Activision. Pricing strategy for the Products shall be subject to mutual approval, provided in the event of a deadlock, Activision shall have the tie-breaking vote.

What say you, Bungie community?

Micro~trarrsactions aren't the same as micro-transactions! Loophole is found!

Micro(kinda)transactions are the new rage

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:45 (3252 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:18 (3252 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Doesn't that just say that Activision gets to do whatever they want regarding pricing?

I mean, I see that yes, the contract stated from the beginning that microtransactions were in the cards.

I have yet to read it all.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:26 (3252 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

It says nothing about macrotransactions!

by Avateur @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 00:45 (3252 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

It says nothing about macrotransactions!

by j41m3z @, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 21:16 (3250 days ago) @ Avateur

Just tell him he's not good enough for the new raid.

by ZaneZavin @, Friday, June 26, 2015, 03:06 (3252 days ago) @ Avateur

I bet that's all it would take.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread