Questions about Xbox 360 storage (Off-Topic)

by Oholiab @, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 22:34 (3232 days ago)

Our second 360 only has a 20GB HD and almost everything on it is Destiny related. Unfortunately, it only has approximately 1GB available, and I'm guessing that will not be enough for the digital download of TTK. I understand that I can purchase a USB flash drive and store all the game data on that. The 360 support page has been pretty helpful. I intend to use a 32GB flash drive or larger and store all the Destiny game data on that.

Does anyone have experience with running games off a flash drive instead of the HD? Does it result in increased load time?

Is there a better solution for this situation (short of upgrading to Xbox One)? I'm open to other options.

Thanks for the help!

Questions about Xbox 360 storage

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 22:47 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

Destiny won't use external storage for whatever reason, only the hard drive. You can put other games' stuff on the external storage though (unless they also refuse to use it, but I think only a handful of games do that). I haven't used external storage for games much but I can't remember hearing about anyone having issues with it.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 22:48 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

I dumped all my freebie Games on Demand games on my flash drive. I've never had a single problem running any of them, and load time seems to be on par with having the disc installed.

Works fine. Move everything else to USB drives.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 22:59 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

Destiny only runs on the hard drive. I just moved everything else to flash drives, and it is fine. All the games work great on those. Remember, they just have to beat DVD read speed.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 23:39 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

Others have mentioned that Destiny won't run off of flash drives, but even if that weren't the case I'd still say just get a bigger hard drive. I'm seeing the 120 and 250GB versions going for between 30-45 bucks on eBay right now. All you need is that and a transfer cable (which I'm seeing for 5-10 bucks).

Once you get your new, bigger drive, you plug it into the console with the transfer cable (leaving the old hard drive attached where it currently is). The 360's OS should detect that there's a transfer cable in use and ask you if you want to move things to the new drive. Wait for it to complete, power down, and swap the new drive on to the console. Boom.

Be advised that the process MOVES data rather than copying it. So once it's done, the old drive won't have anything on it. If you've only got the one console, that probably doesn't matter, but just so you're aware.

let me know

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Saturday, June 27, 2015, 23:57 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

I think I have an old side mount 60gb hard drive you can have if that's the correct style of HD you need

let me know

by Oholiab @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 01:23 (3232 days ago) @ unoudid

Here's what I've got. What do you think?

[image]

let me know

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 01:26 (3232 days ago) @ Oholiab

Email me your address and I'll get it shipped out. You'll need to format the hard drive and transfer your stuff over.

Thank you!

by Oholiab @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 02:05 (3232 days ago) @ unoudid

Email sent. Let me know what I owe you!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread