On Authenticity (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 20:37 (3196 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 20:41

I really think that the biggest issue I have and always have had with Destiny is its insane dichotomy of the authentic and inauthentic.

When I speak of authenticity, I'm talking about just the general joy in making the best thing you can. Even bad games can be authentic. I would not say that Oni is by any means Bungie's best game, and it's not even a fantastic game, but everything about that game made me believe that everybody working on it was trying their hardest to make it the best they could. The fact that it didn't quite measure up doesn't matter at all.

Every single Bungie game up to Destiny felt like everybody working on it was truly just trying to make something awesome. Some were better than others, but all felt completely honest.

There's a lot about Destiny that feels very authentic. The art, the lore, the game feel, the guns, the raids. The Vault of Glass wouldn't exist if there wasn't someone extremely passionate about making a kick ass raid working on it. This is all why I play Destiny.

But the dichotomy is that there is a great deal about Destiny that feels completely inauthentic - things that feel cold and calculated and integrated for reasons other than game quality. The repetition and grinding, the barely there narrative, the trickle of DLC content, RNG loot, the promotional tie ins, platform exclusives, lack of game customization, and others.

You look at the price of gear in marks when the game came out, and it was blatantly obvious that Bungie was gating your progress. 150 marks for armor, then 75 for a helmet? Shit, can't get both in a week! Tons of stuff like this was laid completely bare, staring me in the face. Stuff that was the complete opposite of fun, yet designed clearly to jerk people along so they didn't drop the game before DLC comes.

I look at a guy like James Cameron, who has directed three films which were at the time the most expensive films ever made (T2, Titanic, Avatar). Enormous risk by those in charge, yet looking at those films, they all feel completely authentic, and full of artistic integrity. He didn't compromise, or at least it didn't feel like it. I've met him and talked to him, and he seems incredibly passionate about his films, and impervious to bullshit. You might not like his work, but you can't really look at any of them and say "That's just there to sell toys".

After Halo, Bungie could have been like James Cameron. Any bullshit Activision requested should have been met with a "Fuck that, we do it our way or we get someone else". I refuse to believe this wasn't an option. Either you make money with us or you don't. But they chose not to go that route.

This is selling out, completely as per Matt Soell's definition. When people say that the old Bungie is gone, this is what they mean. Not that many on Halo were on Marathon, but it was still Bungie to me. The individual people don't matter. This isn't Bungie. I think that is deep down what people are reacting to with all this news. The fact that it's not purely about making the best game they can make.

It's again so boggling to me because I've never really seen anything that is so authentic at the core, yet have the rest of the center built upon something so stupid and toxic. This is why I can't just drop it immediately. Everything about the Taken King looks sick. But what's the cost of all that awesomeness?

On Authenticity

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 20:56 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I find myself agreeing with basically all of that, and it goes a long way towards defining my feelings toward the game and the mindset behind it that I couldn't really articulate.

It's the feeling that many of the design choices were made explicitly to inhibit players. The marks system is a perfect example of that. Why can I only earn 100 per week? Why is it capped at 200? The only answer is to prevent me from progressing at a pace beyond what Bungie wants. If I want to spend hours playing, racking up 500 marks in a week, I should be able to. Not that I would particularly feel inclined to do so, but it's the thought that they are limiting you basically on a whim.

I understand that they are a company, their purpose is to take my money. But what happened to the days when games used to stand on their merits, when devs were okay with you getting your time out of the game, then being done with it until you felt like coming back? Or better yet, if they wanted you to keep coming back, they did buy making a truly amazing game.

Don't get me wrong, most of what people complain about in Destiny doesn't bother me all that much. The game is just too damn fun for me to care about. I do work towards gear that I want when I can, but I also have spent plenty of time just randomly dropping into Patrol and killing things, not focusing on bounties (or even the patrol missions you can pick up).

On Authenticity

by Durandal, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 21:34 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We clearly have different opinions of Titanic and Pochahantas err Avatar. That aside, your point that there are gating measures in Destiny that are not present doesn't mean they didn't try hard.

RPGs, even psudo RPGs have level mechanics that gate time. Heck every free to play micro transaction game depends on player vanity and gating elements to encourage payments. That is half the reason I don't play Warframe, which is constantly brought up as how Bungie "should" do it.

Leveling mechanics are all the rage in games, and to complain that Bungie put them in cynically to pad out the content is a bit harsh and undeserved. Everyone puts in leveling mechanics and gates equipment. ME3 had totally random drops of gear and classes, which you then had to level, even in multiplayer. I put a ton of hours into that game and still didn't get some of the guns, and I knew people who dropped a large sum of real money into the equipment packs in order to speed things up. Your complaint is essentially that Bungie didn't let you get gear as fast as you want, and that somehow makes them inauthentic?

Sure, we can agree that if you or I were in charge of the game, it would be different. I dare say that if Bungie made the game all over again it would be different. We can point to things we like, and make logical arguments for and against them. I think the PVP maps suffer a bit without the vehicle half of the show that Halo brought, for example. I agree that the in game storytelling and exploration falls short of the promise shown in the Grimore cards.

None of that means that the people working on this game were not giving it their all.

Look at Too Human. You can clearly see after the first level that the dev's phoned it in. There are perhaps 2-3 new enemies in the whole rest of the game, the levels are thrown together and nothing comes close to the trailer Silicon Knights released to promote it. There were numerous back room issues in leadership that crippled that game.

None of that is present with Destiny.

I just got done with Sunset Overdrive. It's a fun game and the dev's really worked on the attitude and this big open world, but basically I run here, pick up this, run back, defend this crate or whatever. The grind is just hidden under the attitude from the numerous crazy NPCs. Destiny suffers because the grind is not hidden under the layer of witty self referencing dialog. Sure the levels aren't Skyrim open worlds, but they aren't Mass Effect or COD's corridor shooters either.

I've seen pretty universal agreement that the shooting, movement, art and sound are all top notch. These are the areas that Bungie has lots of experience in. The RPG aspects are new, and Bungie's got a learning curve with them. As I've said before benchmarking only does so much, and there are clearly somethings that Bungie got right like the engrams getting mailed to you and credit for kills just for being in the area.

Bungie is giving this their best shot, and that is clear. They haven't been afraid to make major mechanics changes to appease the fans like etheric light and weapon smithing, unlike Bioware and ME3's cop-out of a 3 color ending. I think you are letting your frustration get ahead of enjoyment again.

On Authenticity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 21:50 (3196 days ago) @ Durandal

Leveling mechanics are all the rage in games, and to complain that Bungie put them in cynically to pad out the content is a bit harsh and undeserved.

Leveling mechanics can work and cause no problems in games that have an end. I get that some people like to watch their guns get stronger (Claude and Leviathan have said this). I do too. However, in a game that has an end, your weapons are getting stronger as the challenge level rises, which is where I feel the satisfaction is. You're not going to be getting a weak gun at the end of the game, but your once weak gun might now be upgraded and capable of the challenge.

When you are at the 'endgame' of Destiny, the enemies no longer get stronger and top out. Thus, getting a gun and not having its perks leveled is bad, because now it is simply ineffective against the challenges you are facing until you level it. You are not watching your gun grow stronger and enable you to tackle foes you couldn't before. You're taking a crippled gun and bringing it up to par. See the difference? This wouldn't happen in a game with upgrades and exp that is given out as you progress through the game, which eventually ends.

None of that means that the people working on this game were not giving it their all.

That is what I acknowledged. It's frustrating that there ARE people there right now who are in fact giving it their all and doing the best job they can. But there are also people there who are sabotaging the rest of the game for decisions ultimately related to finance.

On Authenticity

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 23:17 (3196 days ago) @ Durandal
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 23:21

Leveling mechanics are all the rage in games, and to complain that Bungie put them in cynically to pad out the content is a bit harsh and undeserved. Everyone puts in leveling mechanics and gates equipment. ME3 had totally random drops of gear and classes, which you then had to level, even in multiplayer. I put a ton of hours into that game and still didn't get some of the guns, and I knew people who dropped a large sum of real money into the equipment packs in order to speed things up. Your complaint is essentially that Bungie didn't let you get gear as fast as you want, and that somehow makes them inauthentic?

Yeah, leveling mechanics do gate your progress in any game those mechanics are in. The difference is, in all of those other games, the more I play, the more my level goes up. In Destiny, past level 20 that doesn't happen. When your level is tied to the Light level on your gear, all progress stops until you can acquire new gear. And they arbitrarily limit how fast you can get that gear by capping the currency you can earn per week, and capping the amount you can have at one time. So once I get my 100 Marks, I might as well just stop doing Strikes (Unless you just have fun doing them, which I do, depending on the strike.).

Bungie is giving this their best shot, and that is clear. They haven't been afraid to make major mechanics changes to appease the fans like etheric light and weapon smithing, unlike Bioware and ME3's cop-out of a 3 color ending. I think you are letting your frustration get ahead of enjoyment again.

I think they are giving it their best shot. I just think at some point, they lost sight of what they were aiming for. Some of the decisions they made are very obviously not for the benefit of the player, but for the benefit of the longevity of their game, and to keep players coming back even if they're not having a particularly good time.

When it takes a month to get the gear I can see at the vendors just because there's a limit on the amount of currency I can earn, there's a problem.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Destiny. I think it's really, really fun. I just can't help but think how much better it could be. I'm not saying I could do any better, but I always think of Borderlands, the other very popular loot based shooter, and how that game was never frustrating. I never felt like my gear was holding me back, and I never felt like I was getting screwed by the RNG loot system. Whatever they did just worked, whereas whatever Bungie did ends up a lot more frustrating (some of the time).

On Authenticity

by Durandal, Monday, June 29, 2015, 12:46 (3196 days ago) @ cheapLEY

"The difference is, in all of those other games, the more I play, the more my level goes up."

COD - Levels gate progress, you reset your progress at max level and repeat.
Titanfall - Same
Battlefield - you level each gun and vehicle perk via use. One you top out that's it.
Evolve - you level up guys to get bonus perks and unlock more guys to level up hard stop at the end.
World of (tanks, battleships, planes etc) you level up crew, vehicles and progress to end game vehicles. Hard stop at the end.

Destiny's end game is more like WoW or MMO's where it is defined by your gear, and initially very much like those MMOs you had to get to the hard end game content in order to get that gear. They've softened this greatly with the HoW changes.

"However, in a game that has an end, your weapons are getting stronger as the challenge level rises, which is where I feel the satisfaction is. You're not going to be getting a weak gun at the end of the game, but your once weak gun might now be upgraded and capable of the challenge."

Again, in the more MMO style you do ditch old gear as you get stronger and stronger stuff. In the more common FPSs above there is no real gear quality and all weapons when kitted out are more or less at the same level. Admittedly I haven't played WoW in a very long time, but when I did every expansion pretty much meant ditching all your old weapons and equipment to get new ones. Likewise Skyrim you got rid of that iron blade once you stared forging magic dragon bone weapons.

From an industry benchmark, no one currently lets you take your Kostov and upgrade it to Mythoclast levels. Not that that isn't a cool idea, where instead of gear drops you get materials that you use to slowly evolve your guns into their own unique, personalized variant that is at the max level. (Something like the old Army of Two system, where you essentially had Lego guns that you could swap everything out as you found new stuff)

On Authenticity

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, June 29, 2015, 12:46 (3196 days ago) @ Durandal

We clearly have different opinions of Titanic and Pochahantas err Dances with Wolves err The Last Samurai, err Avatar.

I believe you've covered this.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 21:58 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We get it, you don't like MMORPG type games.

On Authenticity

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 23:32 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Every single Bungie game up to Destiny felt like everybody working on it was truly just trying to make something awesome. Some were better than others, but all felt completely honest.

What concerns me is you seem to be overlooking issue in past Bungie games then questioning the "authenticity " of Destiny.

Sure, Destiny didn't deliver some features we'd become accustomed to in Halo (theater mode, forge, custom games, etc), but Oni promised things it flat out did not deliver. Things like PvP multiplayer, levels with the giant Iron Deamon, maybe some other stuff... I'd have to look the past up. It feels like you are rating Destiny worse for not including things it never promised than Oni which did promise things then failed to deliver. Of the two options, which is less authentic?

On promotions, and grind, and RNG, and poor story, various Halos had some of even all of those, yet they were authentic and Destiny isn't? What about Mountain Dew double XP, or whatever pre-order condition you needed to meet to get Sgt Johnson in ODST Firefight, or the near infinite grind required to unlock the highest ranks and equipment pieces in Halo 3 and Reach. Halo 2 angered many with a cliffhanger ending. Reach even had the RNG bonus XP lotto, stopped awarding XP for general single player play after a while, and it's story, I'm sure you'll remember this, "was not canon." Looking back at how the Halos actually were, were they all authentic? Even Reach, which you spoke out against quite a bit?

Destiny has its faults for sure, perhaps more than some pervious Bungie games, but I think your trying to set it apart from every other Bungie game, especially in view of some of your past criticisms, is very disingenuous.

On Authenticity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 23:36 (3196 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sure, Destiny didn't deliver some features we'd become accustomed to in Halo (theater mode, forge, custom games, etc), but Oni promised things it flat out did not deliver. Things like PvP multiplayer, levels with the giant Iron Deamon, maybe some other stuff... I'd have to look the past up. It feels like you are rating Destiny worse for not including things it never promised than Oni which did promise things then failed to deliver. Of the two options, which is less authentic?

Knowing when something does not work creatively, and cutting it is supremely authentic. Oni PvP didn't work and was a mess. Cutting it made the game better overall.

Destiny has its faults for sure, perhaps more than some pervious Bungie games, but I think your trying to set it apart from every other Bungie game, especially in view of some of your past criticisms, is very disingenuous.

Again, recall I said that bad games can be authentic. Criticism does not always mean I am calling out the integrity of the game maker. You can truly believe in what you are doing, yet fall short.

On Authenticity

by yakaman, Monday, June 29, 2015, 12:00 (3196 days ago) @ Ragashingo

The presentation/management/something of Destiny is quite cynical. Whether this is from Bungie or Activision does not matter - it's Bungie's game. To me, what sets it distinctly apart is that I feel like a wallet instead of a fan. Like amid the gameplay there is cold, hard psychology designed specifically to keep me paying and playing.

Like a slot machine.

I believe this is what Cody was after. Some entities in Bungie are doing what they've always done, while other entities are aimed squarely at manipulation.

Destiny is distinct in this way - not just among Bungie games; I have never owned a game that made me feel like this.

On Authenticity

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 29, 2015, 13:44 (3196 days ago) @ yakaman

To me, what sets it distinctly apart is that I feel like a wallet instead of a fan. Like amid the gameplay there is cold, hard psychology designed specifically to keep me paying and playing.

Like a slot machine.

The interesting part is at this point in Destiny's life you would have only paid $10 - $20 more than you did with Halo 3 or Reach but have gotten similar amounts of new multiplayer content, infinitely more single player content (since no Halo ever got new single player content) and vastly more free post launch support, tweaks, bug fixes, balance updates, and full blow features than any Halo received. (See my post to Avateur for details)

That doesn't discount what you feel in the least, of course. Destiny did launch with an inferior in-game story, and has required the replaying of content if you want to remain at the top of the Light Level and weapon damage curves. I just think from an actual pricing perspective Destiny, so far, hasn't demanded more from your wallet than other "recent" Bungie games did.

On Authenticity

by yakaman, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:21 (3196 days ago) @ Ragashingo

To me, what sets it distinctly apart is that I feel like a wallet instead of a fan. Like amid the gameplay there is cold, hard psychology designed specifically to keep me paying and playing.

Like a slot machine.

The interesting part is at this point in Destiny's life you would have only paid $10 - $20 more than you did with Halo 3 or Reach but have gotten similar amounts of new multiplayer content, infinitely more single player content (since no Halo ever got new single player content) and vastly more free post launch support, tweaks, bug fixes, balance updates, and full blow features than any Halo received. (See my post to Avateur for details)

That doesn't discount what you feel in the least, of course. Destiny did launch with an inferior in-game story, and has required the replaying of content if you want to remain at the top of the Light Level and weapon damage curves. I just think from an actual pricing perspective Destiny, so far, hasn't demanded more from your wallet than other "recent" Bungie games did.

I absolutely agree that I've gotten my money's worth from Destiny, so my comment was not meant to minimize the cost-to-value relationship. You do bring up a good point regarding free post-launch support...no Halo had such a thing (at least not to that extent).

I played for a ton of time, but I'm not sure that I should have, nor if I really wanted to. I'm actually pretty sure I wouldn't do it again. I have had no such experience with any other game I have owned, so I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. That's more of what I was going for.....

On Authenticity

by Fuertisimo, Monday, June 29, 2015, 00:33 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah so why are you still playing? If you truly believe that Bungie is behaving in an ignoble fashion, why do you continue to support them? At some point, over these months and months of criticism, you need to put your money where your mouth is or credibility of your criticism starts to look a little suspect.

On Authenticity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 00:43 (3196 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I believe the last paragraph of my post would be of interest to you. The whole point of the post was that there is a dichotomy which makes flat out quitting somewhat of a difficult decision to make.

On Authenticity

by Fuertisimo, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:05 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So in your estimation Destiny is just so awesome that you can't give it up despite being surrounded by so much toxicity and inauthenticity? I mean I'm discounting that you're actually in crisis about continuing to play, I know you're going to keep playing.

It's just interesting to note that you're willing to come out so hard and so often against a game that you even believe to be inauthentic in its relationship to players, yet are evidently powerless to take a stand against it.

Could it be that you've fallen prey to the very thing that you struggle against and decry? Those level up bars can be mighty satisfying after all.

On Authenticity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:33 (3196 days ago) @ Fuertisimo
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:40

So in your estimation Destiny is just so awesome that you can't give it up despite being surrounded by so much toxicity and inauthenticity? I mean I'm discounting that you're actually in crisis about continuing to play, I know you're going to keep playing.

It's just interesting to note that you're willing to come out so hard and so often against a game that you even believe to be inauthentic in its relationship to players, yet are evidently powerless to take a stand against it.

Could it be that you've fallen prey to the very thing that you struggle against and decry? Those level up bars can be mighty satisfying after all.

No it's mostly that now I don't have to worry as much about that anymore. I don't have to grind strikes. I don't have to grind marks or rep. I have everything I need except for Hawkmoon. Now I play pretty much purely for fun. But who knows how the taken king progression will work. Will all our gear need replacing? Will there be more shit to grind? Who knows. Bungie isn't saying. I am 100% on the fence until I am sure stupid game design decisions are at a minimum in TTK. Life is getting too cool to waste time.

I want to play the raid with minimal bullshit. I want to play the new pvp modes with minimal bullshit. Play with the new subclasses with minimal bullshit. Can that happen? If so they have my money.

Things I don't do in destiny anymore

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 29, 2015, 07:56 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No it's mostly that now I don't have to worry as much about that anymore. I don't have to grind strikes. I don't have to grind marks or rep. I have everything I need except for Hawkmoon. Now I play pretty much purely for fun. But who knows how the taken king progression will work. Will all our gear need replacing? Will there be more shit to grind? Who knows. Bungie isn't saying. I am 100% on the fence until I am sure stupid game design decisions are at a minimum in TTK. Life is getting too cool to waste time.

I want to play the raid with minimal bullshit. I want to play the new pvp modes with minimal bullshit. Play with the new subclasses with minimal bullshit. Can that happen? If so they have my money.

I've also cut the bullshit. Things I can't be bothered with anymore:

The tower
Strike playlists
Bounties (except the Petra ones)
Non-elemental primaries
Glimmer (since I don't upgrade so-so stuff, I'm almost always at 25k)
Normal Vault of glass
Hard/normal Crota
Daily missions
Picking up planetary materials that are right next to me. Unless I'm waiting for a wolves bounty -- except on Venus.
Seeking out chests I spot across the map
Patrols (unless it's for a Perra Bounty)
Fusion and auto rifles (except exotics)

What else can I ignore to streamline the fun?

On Authenticity

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:27 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What if they give you all of that, but also include micro-transactions for shiny things? Are you willing to forgive my ability to buy a shiny class item and keep playing the awesome new raids despite your earlier "promise"?

On Authenticity

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:13 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's again so boggling to me because I've never really seen anything that is so authentic at the core, yet have the rest of the center built upon something so stupid and toxic. This is why I can't just drop it immediately. Everything about the Taken King looks sick. But what's the cost of all that awesomeness?

Sounds to me like you are as confused as a hungry baby in a strip club.

Don't worry. You only made mention a topic which is also going in the mega post. At this rate, the lot of you are going to make my mega post out of the sum of your posts. Hmmmm. Well I guess I can give something up.

I depart with a quick and very possibly meaningless observation.

Which one of these "does not belong"?

Uploaded on Aug 26, 2010

Published on May 23, 2013

Published on Sep 4, 2014

Does this answer your question?

Hold on a second

by car15, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:23 (3196 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Sounds to me like you are as confused as a hungry baby in a strip club.

This had me in stitches for about a minute.

Just wanted to let you know that.

On Authenticity

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:25 (3196 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Law of the Jungle?

Deliver Hope didn't happen in game, but it was actually nicely based upon Noble Team's backstory. Become Legend isn't based on much really, but it accurately depicted our ability to roam from planet to planet in Destiny. Law of the Jungle, however, seems inconsistent to me with regards to Destiny's story. The Law of the Jungle poem doesn't so much hold within Destiny's narrative or themes, and the father reading to his son... well we don't have a very good idea how Guardians and families interact or if children can grow up to become Guardians or if every Guardian has to start out as a dead adult...

friends don't let friends post facto justify

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 29, 2015, 01:26 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What you see as ironclad evidence as greed looks like straightforward game design decisions to me mostly (Redbull/collectors edition nonsense excluded).

Grinding is a reward for playing different activities (IE, "Ohh mayve I didn't get a cool weapon, but I unlocked a new perk or found that shard I needed").
Mat farming get people out in the world, and colliding with other players, and participating in public events
Mark limits get people to break off from different activities to try other things in the game.
Gating is a way to ensure the community has a level of practice before entering certain events etc.

I could go through, and pull up interview quotes to support these views. I could also point to holes in your line of argumentation. While there's value of trying to follow a design decision to it's root sometimes, this seems so general, and so far from the final decision that it seems pointless.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 29, 2015, 07:29 (3196 days ago) @ electricpirate

Grinding is a reward for playing different activities (IE, "Ohh mayve I didn't get a cool weapon, but I unlocked a new perk or found that shard I needed").
Mat farming get people out in the world, and colliding with other players, and participating in public events
Mark limits get people to break off from different activities to try other things in the game.
Gating is a way to ensure the community has a level of practice before entering certain events etc.

I could go through, and pull up interview quotes to support these views. I could also point to holes in your line of argumentation. While there's value of trying to follow a design decision to it's root sometimes, this seems so general, and so far from the final decision that it seems pointless.

Of course the interviews would sugar coat their decisions. They aren't going to say they filled the world with annoying limits/caps so that we can't get rewards for doing what we want to do over and over. These types of decisions just waste player time and delay gratification. Give me all my gratification now!!! Materials farming alone probably cost the world 10+ million collectively-wasted hours.

by electricpirate @, Monday, June 29, 2015, 08:43 (3196 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Of course the interviews would sugar coat their decisions. They aren't going to say they filled the world with annoying limits/caps so that we can't get rewards for doing what we want to do over and over. These types of decisions just waste player time and delay gratification. Give me all my gratification now!!! Materials farming alone probably cost the world 10+ million collectively-wasted hours.

Thanks for proving my point.

My argument is that proving something like authenticity after the fact is a bit pointless. Saying that you simply won't accept evidence just underscores that.

On Authenticity

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 02:04 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

When I speak of authenticity, I'm talking about just the general joy in making the best thing you can.

I'm not really sure if I understand your intended usage of the word "authenticity". It has a few varying definitions, but none like your description above. I'm assuming that you mean that Bungie didn't design this game with pure "gaming joy" in mind, but rather as a sinkhole meant to pull consumers in, and grab all the monies from them.

The fact that it's not purely about making the best game they can make.

I don't even in the slightest believe that bungie set out to create a giant cash cow, looking at ways to cut, crimp, and save. I don't think they held back content strictly to make us pay for it in DLC's. I don't think level capping techniques were applied to cause a player frustration. "Grind" wasn't a design, it was a side effect of the new systems bungie was attempting to employ colliding with the human nature to "get more stuff". I don't think they compromised their work or beliefs and said "meh, we are ok with an inferior product".

What I do think was in the minds of the creative powers in Bungie was to meld multiple genres of games in a newly minted, non classifiable audiovisual experience. Something that we've never seen the likes of.... well, at least that was the intention. The MMORPGFPS is an experiment in development. Sure there are games like it, Borderlands, Warframe, (I've never played any of those so I don't really know how they relate). Even though these exist, I think the plan was something a little more unique than these.

For whatever reason, what we, and possibly they, expected didn't congeal. I feel there was a Halo 2 issue. Things just didn't work out as expected. The reach was farther than the grasp so to speak. Things had to be rolled back to provide us with a working product. That doesn't mean that Bungie is at fault, just that they are human. For as much as we bought a "broken/incomplete game" it has worked pretty much completely from the get go. We could have gotten an AC Unity or Driveclub or BF4 release where the games were essentially if not actually unplayable.

Quite the opposite, the game IMO is 100% authentic Bungie. It's beautiful, it's crisp, it's probably the sharpest of the shooters I've ever played. It's full of "guns, grenades, and melee's". The 3 pillars of Bungie fun. The story is definitely lacking, but the base lore exists to flesh out stories upon stories. I would also attribute a weak story, to the teams focus on functionality first. The GDC chat about the Netcode seems like it is extremely complicated to implement, hence Noah's ark of error codes. Glad it works as well as it does considering all that.

It's really a slap in the face to all the hardworking folks at Bungie, to repetitively critique their work, and question their ethics, and essentially disregard their accomplishments, all the while putting in hundreds of hours into a game you appear to enjoy. Even more, I feel in someways it's also a slap in the face to a group of folks who have created a site dedicated to the company that has created the games we LOVE, and to those of us who came here to share our passion for Bungie and Destiny. I don't login here everyday to hear another I despise/hate/loath X,Y,Z about Bungie/Destiny. I login to discuss the things I enjoy, learn from others, share my Destiny experiences. Sometimes Korny can be a little trollish (Love ya Korn :P), but he also goes out of his way to post about his unique exotic armor creation. Even going so far as to provide subtext and visual accouterments.

Why can't we see more of your positive side? I don't know you, but many folks speak highly of you, and I'm sure you have it in you. You sound like a pretty creative guy. You edit film/video? Where are your montages? Epic Fails? Tutorials? Anything other than flappin gums, blah blah blah, Destiny bad. Follow CruelLegacy's lead and mix it up. I think he does a great job voicing some concerns, but also looking at the bright side and not being as confrontational as you often appear to be.

That's my piece, and I'm out.

On Authenticity

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 29, 2015, 02:46 (3196 days ago) @ red robber

Why can't we see more of your positive side? I don't know you, but many folks speak highly of you, and I'm sure you have it in you. You sound like a pretty creative guy. You edit film/video? Where are your montages? Epic Fails? Tutorials? Anything other than flappin gums, blah blah blah, Destiny bad. Follow CruelLegacy's lead and mix it up. I think he does a great job voicing some concerns, but also looking at the bright side and not being as confrontational as you often appear to be.

To be fair: Cody is responsible for DBO's cutscene collection being in 1080p, 5.1 surround sound (and HBO's before it). He's done other stuff over the years (not really for Destiny yet) - he definitely contributes positively.

On Authenticity

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 03:53 (3196 days ago) @ red robber
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, June 29, 2015, 04:00

Quite the opposite, the game IMO is 100% authentic Bungie. It's beautiful, it's crisp, it's probably the sharpest of the shooters I've ever played. It's full of "guns, grenades, and melee's". The 3 pillars of Bungie fun. The story is definitely lacking, but the base lore exists to flesh out stories upon stories. I would also attribute a weak story, to the teams focus on functionality first. The GDC chat about the Netcode seems like it is extremely complicated to implement, hence Noah's ark of error codes. Glad it works as well as it does considering all that.

It's really a slap in the face to all the hardworking folks at Bungie, to repetitively critique their work, and question their ethics, and essentially disregard their accomplishments, all the while putting in hundreds of hours into a game you appear to enjoy. Even more, I feel in someways it's also a slap in the face to a group of folks who have created a site dedicated to the company that has created the games we LOVE, and to those of us who came here to share our passion for Bungie and Destiny. I don't login here everyday to hear another I despise/hate/loath X,Y,Z about Bungie/Destiny. I login to discuss the things I enjoy, learn from others, share my Destiny experiences. Sometimes Korny can be a little trollish (Love ya Korn :P), but he also goes out of his way to post about his unique exotic armor creation. Even going so far as to provide subtext and visual accouterments.

I believe I made it quite clear that I admire the work of many of the folks working on Destiny. So much of it is good. The only faces I want to slap are those responsible for the investment system, and the planning of the content delivery. Also please do not lecture me about being a real Bungie fan. I've been with them since winter 1994. Why do you think I come to Bungie.org? Because I love the games and the community. Again, Destiny could have been amazing had it not been for what I constantly complain about. Even a lot of that is changing. The grind is becoming less and less. They are apparently taking the story missions and the narrative way more seriously. The fact I still critique means I still hold them in regard. I simply shut developers like Blizzard out and don't even think about them anymore, much less play their games.

That being said I really do not want anyone turned away from here because of my posts. Just do what mig and leviathan do: roll your eyes and move to the next thread ;-p

On Authenticity

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, June 29, 2015, 04:08 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I believe I made it quite clear that I admire the work of many of the folks working on Destiny. So much of it is good. The only faces I want to slap are those responsible for the investment system, and the planning of the content delivery. Also please do not lecture me about being a real Bungie fan. I've been with them since winter 1994. Why do you think I come to Bungie.org? Because I love the games and the community. Again, Destiny could have been amazing had it not been for what I constantly complain about. Even a lot of that is changing. The grind is becoming less and less. They are apparently taking the story missions and the narrative way more seriously. The fact I still critique means I still hold them in regard. I simply shut developers like Blizzard out and don't even think about them anymore, much less play their games.

That being said I really do not want anyone turned away from here because of my posts. Just do what mig and leviathan do: roll your eyes and move to the next thread ;-p

Roll my eyes? I've never done such a thing!

Now, shake my fist in the air, declaring revenge? ...Possibly.:P

Agree...

by yakaman, Monday, June 29, 2015, 11:49 (3196 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's a lot about Destiny that feels very authentic. The art, the lore, the game feel, the guns, the raids. The Vault of Glass wouldn't exist if there wasn't someone extremely passionate about making a kick ass raid working on it. This is all why I play Destiny.

But the dichotomy is that there is a great deal about Destiny that feels completely inauthentic - things that feel cold and calculated and integrated for reasons other than game quality. The repetition and grinding, the barely there narrative, the trickle of DLC content, RNG loot, the promotional tie ins, platform exclusives, lack of game customization, and others.

These two statements perfectly sum up how I feel about Destiny. I have been in conflict with myself since I bought Destiny. Wild swings from simple joy to the feeling of being used. Back and forth, back and forth. I think it's fair to say that we (as a community in general) have been in conflict as well, and it seems like every time things settle down some new controversy erupts.

The music and the player controls and the time with friends are the very best - these are what make Destiny worth the cost of admission. But the rest...?

I've been clean for a month, and feel better for it.

On Authenticity

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 12:05 (3195 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I totally get what you're saying, and I don't think you're wrong. It's an unfortunate reality with AAA games on the whole right now, not just Destiny, that the making-money aspect of creating these games sometimes intrudes on the end users' fun.

I don't think anyone objects to the fact that these companies ARE making money. Obviously, we as the gamers need that to happen. It's just that sometimes the carrot-and-stick mechanisms are a little too obvious, and people find it insulting to be manipulated. I think it's not even the fact that we are being influenced that's irritating, it's how blatant it (sometimes) is. Hopefully as time goes on companies will get better at not being so obvious about it. For now, though, I guess we're at the Red Bull stage of games' evolution. :\

On Authenticity

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 12:14 (3195 days ago) @ stabbim

I totally get what you're saying, and I don't think you're wrong. It's an unfortunate reality with AAA games on the whole right now, not just Destiny, that the making-money aspect of creating these games sometimes intrudes on the end users' fun.

I don't think anyone objects to the fact that these companies ARE making money. Obviously, we as the gamers need that to happen. It's just that sometimes the carrot-and-stick mechanisms are a little too obvious, and people find it insulting to be manipulated. I think it's not even the fact that we are being influenced that's irritating, it's how blatant it (sometimes) is. Hopefully as time goes on companies will get better at not being so obvious about it. For now, though, I guess we're at the Red Bull stage of games' evolution. :\

Why can't we go back to the good ol' days where if the Jester doesn't entertain us he loses his head? Oh wait, then no one would make games.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread