Anybody know where we can see PvP weapon use stats? (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:01 (3222 days ago)

Crucible question: I'm generally curious what weapons are most popular at the current moment and what weapons are scoring the most kills in proportion to their use. Bungie hasn't given us those stats in a long time, but is there a site that does publish them (and isn't contingent upon you logging into it, like destinytracker is)?

Red's weapon ranking (PvP)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:17 (3222 days ago) @ iconicbanana

1. Thorn
2. Last Word
3. Thorn
4. Last Word
5. Thorn

Not sure if I got that completely right, but I'm pretty close :)

In all seriousness though, I haven't been able to find the data you are looking for, as I have been looking for a while. Whether its more detail info on the PvP populations usage, or even better stats for my own, It just doesn't seem to be out there. The only thing useful I have been able to find, is that from DTR I have a much much higher headshot percentage with Pulse rifles, that any other primary. Which agrees with my guy feeling of doing best with them. However I'd like proof that I'm better with them in kills/time used or better K/D's while equipped. I've also been having what seem to me to be the best luck in trials with HARD LIGHT??? I really like autos but wtf?

Confirmation Bias is a bitch.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:20 (3222 days ago) @ red robber

Yeah, I have some thoughts on the current meta that I would love to put to words, but without data I can't have any sort of pretension to knowing what the reality is.

Visible on Destinytracker... sort of

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:21 (3222 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It only tracks data from users who've been searched before, so it's not a fulll global count, but it's on there.

According to a recent reddit post, there were more Handcannon PvP kills on DestinyTracker in the last 16 days than there have ever been with Scout Rifles.

#nerfexotichandcannons

Handcannons vs Scout Rifles

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:52 (3222 days ago) @ someotherguy

As a mild gun nut, the handcannon in Destiny has always seemed to be outclassing itself. (I do accept that this is a game even though I'm about to reference IRL stuff).

Check this out. It shows us the basic equation for bullet energy (i.e. Impact), is E=(M*V^2)/K.

M being the mass of the bullet
V being the velocity
K being a constant derived from other maths

So for us, the two important variables are Mass and Velocity. Most pistols have large bores and spit out heavy slugs at slower velocities. So a bigger bullet means more impact eh? Yes and no. Notice that velocity is squared. The speed of the object is much more of a factor in determining the energy. That's why my .17HMR with a 17-20 grain bullet does way more damage to a target than my .22lr that has a 36-40 grain bullet. The 17 travels about twice as fast as the 22. So while a 2x bullet will give you 2x impact. A 2x velocity will give you a 4x impact.

The handcannon should then have a drastically shorter range than the other primaries, and while it should also have lower impact even at close ranges, I think it would be fair to keep the high impact stat for gaming purposes. I would put the max effective range of handcannons at about the same range as the fusion rifle. Maybe prenerf fusion rifle. Past that the impact should be much lower, and the accuracy should fall off to make it unlikely to hit that target anyway. As it stands now, most handcannons are just better scout rifles with more impact and slower ROF's.

But space handcannons you say! Yes I agree.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:54 (3222 days ago) @ red robber

As it stands now, most handcannons are just better scout rifles with more impact and slower ROF's.

This has always bugged me. I'm a scout rifle guy, and I have to admit, scout rifles are just plain inferior most of the time to hand cannons. The few places where they shine is when you need mid-long range precision and periodic (slow-ish) damage up close. The templar fight towards the end, taking out goblins, oracles, and hobgoblins comes to mind as a near perfect setup for scout rifles. But in PvP especially, taking 4-5 shots to kill someone is just unreasonable. By the time you are far enough away to make that worthwhile, you're better off using a well scoped sniper rifle.

Even the shadow 710x at full auto takes 5-8 shots depending on headshots. Time-wise it's similar to TDYK or Timur's lash, but you have to land every single shot, fighting the instability along the way. I really wanted to like this gun archetype, being very suros-like, but it didn't work out for me.

There's just not quite enough play space for a mid-range only weapon. In some ways they suffer the same fate as the auto-rifles, though they have more usable space IMO simply due to range.

But space handcannons you say! Yes I agree.

And this is probably why. =)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:13 (3222 days ago) @ slycrel

As it stands now, most handcannons are just better scout rifles with more impact and slower ROF's.

This has always bugged me. I'm a scout rifle guy, and I have to admit, scout rifles are just plain inferior most of the time to hand cannons. The few places where they shine is when you need mid-long range precision and periodic (slow-ish) damage up close. The templar fight towards the end, taking out goblins, oracles, and hobgoblins comes to mind as a near perfect setup for scout rifles. But in PvP especially, taking 4-5 shots to kill someone is just unreasonable. By the time you are far enough away to make that worthwhile, you're better off using a well scoped sniper rifle.

In PvE, Scout Rifles rule. Yes, a lot of situations hand cannons are better, but if enemies are tougher and you can;t stay out as long, a scout rifle is great. Taking out a cabal from a distance where they can;t shoot back, with say, VoC, makes stuff way easier. You sacrifice kill speed for safety, which is often a very good tradeoff.

by slycrel ⌂, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:54 (3222 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You're right, and there's a reason I still use my non-stock A.1F all the time now that I've ascended it. It's quite good for anything I don't need elemental primaries for. Scouts, at the appropriate range, are not much under hand cannons as far as kill speed. Point blank they're pretty tough to use though, where a hand cannon is still just as good. So really depends on the fight you're participating in and how you're playing it.

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 29, 2015, 20:28 (3222 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In PvE, Scout Rifles rule. Yes, a lot of situations hand cannons are better, but if enemies are tougher and you can;t stay out as long, a scout rifle is great. Taking out a cabal from a distance where they can;t shoot back, with say, VoC, makes stuff way easier. You sacrifice kill speed for safety, which is often a very good tradeoff.

This is my argument for hand cannons -- safety. Half a clip, then back into cover. Most maps are small enough that the range drop off doesn't matter much. To each his own, I guess.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 21:52 (3222 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

This is my argument for hand cannons -- safety. Half a clip, then back into cover. Most maps are small enough that the range drop off doesn't matter much. To each his own, I guess.

I'd say I'm about 50/50 between scouts and hand cannons in PvE at the moment, and 50/50 pulse rifles and hand cannons in PvP.

Reddit graphs

by DreadPirateWes, Monday, June 29, 2015, 18:49 (3222 days ago) @ someotherguy

this is a little old, but what you want: reddit

That's handy. Thanks!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:11 (3222 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

Interesting Data but a little difficult to interpret.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:26 (3222 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

From what I can tell from this image

[image]

Shotties and Handcannons are about 1/3 of all kills since March. Its also interesting that the scout rifle gets no love at all, getting about as many kills as RL's. Autos aren't much better. Thats pretty weak considering they are primaries.

I think the biggest surprise on the graph is that fusion rifles still are pretty potent. Didn't expect that. It still looks like a little light tweaking is in order.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:30 (3222 days ago) @ red robber

I think the biggest surprise on the graph is that fusion rifles still are pretty potent. Didn't expect that. It still looks like a little light tweaking is in order.

Mythoclast probably throws those numbers quite a bit.

Slaps forehead.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:32 (3222 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 29, 2015, 19:51 (3222 days ago) @ red robber

From what I can tell from this image

[image]

Shotties and Handcannons are about 1/3 of all kills since March. Its also interesting that the scout rifle gets no love at all, getting about as many kills as RL's. Autos aren't much better. Thats pretty weak considering they are primaries.

Vex and queen breakers throw off fusion rifle data as far as I can tell. They are going to be over represented because of those. I of course love my fusion rifles, but that's because I have about 4 that are absolutely insane.

I don't think so...

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, June 29, 2015, 16:25 (3222 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Crucible question: I'm generally curious what weapons are most popular at the current moment and what weapons are scoring the most kills in proportion to their use. Bungie hasn't given us those stats in a long time, but is there a site that does publish them (and isn't contingent upon you logging into it, like destinytracker is)?

I think Bungie pulls those stats on a special basis (for Weekly Updates and such), so I doubt we'll find them elsewhere. I suppose something like DTR could pull some of that data from players it knows about and try to aggregate it, but I don't think those would be very accurate. :-\

Here's the data from 5000 Trials matches

by Hoovaloov, Monday, June 29, 2015, 20:52 (3222 days ago) @ iconicbanana
edited by Hoovaloov, Monday, June 29, 2015, 21:33

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/39tyob/most_used_weapons_by_for_5000_trials_of_osiris/

According to this research, across 5000 games of Trials, using only the data from the winning team, here are the top 10 kill percentages:

50.26% Thorn
16.19% Felwinter's Lie
14.87% The Last Word
9.43% Matador 64
8.08% Party Crasher +1
8.03% Found Verdict
6.57% Hawkmoon
5.17% Red Death
4.37% Efrideet's Spear
3.94% Tomorrow's Answer

Also, respect for the one guy winning a Trials match and getting kills with the Khvostov.

I think I'm the one that used Hard Light .04%

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, June 29, 2015, 21:25 (3222 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

- No text -

135% Total?

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, June 29, 2015, 23:58 (3222 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Wut?

135% Total?

by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 03:49 (3221 days ago) @ someotherguy

Uh, weird. Didn't even catch that, but it's actually "more wrong" than that. If you follow the link I posted all the way to the Google Spreadsheet and add up the percentages there, you get 195%. Somebody dun goofed.

135% Total?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 04:20 (3221 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Uh, weird. Didn't even catch that, but it's actually "more wrong" than that. If you follow the link I posted all the way to the Google Spreadsheet and add up the percentages there, you get 195%. Somebody dun goofed.

Since they were using 50% of the game participants and ended up with 200% of the kills they should have... I'm guessing it's as simple as "we forgot that we cut the total in half". I bet if you halved those percentages, you'd end up with close to 100% total, and the numbers would line up with what really happened.

135% Total?

by Hoovaloov, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 16:16 (3221 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That makes sense, except he also posted the percentages for the losing team on another tab in the spreadsheet. If you add those up, you get 163%..

135% Total?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, June 30, 2015, 16:47 (3221 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

That makes sense, except he also posted the percentages for the losing team on another tab in the spreadsheet. If you add those up, you get 163%..

lol - I give up then. :)

Now it makes sense!

by Hoovaloov, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 16:31 (3220 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I messaged the guy (SpiffyJr) who did the study about this and he replied:

"The percents are for any weapon with a kill during a match. If anyone changed weapons they would have added to each weapon they got a kill for."

When I asked what Thorn at 50% actually means, he said:

"50% of people that eon had at least one kill with thorn."

So Thorn wasn't used for 50% of kills, it was used by 50% of people to get at least one kill. This explains why the percentages don't add up to 100%, people are getting kills with more than one weapon per game.

Ahh.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 17:43 (3220 days ago) @ Hoovaloov

Stupid way to do math, though. :(

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread