*OT* Looking to get a projector... (Off-Topic)

by EffortlessFury @, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 00:34 (3230 days ago)

Here's a comparison of the few models I'm currently looking at.

Can anyone help me out with some advice on this front? I've probably got 9-12 feet depending on whether I decide to use a standing screen or a mounted one.

Ask Bluerunner

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 00:39 (3230 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

He's had a couple projectors and a cheap substitute for a screen that works great. I still don't see how he handles playing daily on a 96" screen though.

Ask Bluerunner

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 01:02 (3230 days ago) @ red robber

I have a hard time playing on smaller screens now.

I try to go for the most lumens and contrast. You're just not going to get the contrast of a TV, and light level in the room is going to really affect the picture. I'm fortunate to have mine in a bonus room with only one window, and that window is covered by the screen. I have directional lights that face away from the screen for when I need a little light in the room, but otherwise I just play in the dark.

I have mine mounted 19' back on the ceiling. If you have only 9-12', you probably won't get as big as my 96', but I'm more limited by the screen size than throw distance. I built my own screen, which isn't hard if you want to save some money. Mine is just a flat 4'x8' panel painted satin white with a very fine nap roller and hung with mirror hangers. The picture is 4' high and about 7.5' wide.

Ask Bluerunner

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 01:16 (3230 days ago) @ bluerunner

I thought the whole point of a projector setup was great contrast?

Ask Bluerunner

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 03:07 (3229 days ago) @ Vortech

I thought the whole point of a projector setup plasma TV was great contrast?

FTFY

Seriously, though, something that has to project its picture several feet through the air, using an exposed painted surface as its final medium to resolve on, is just never going to be as sharp as an LCD or plasma set, where all the mechanisms are isolated and tightly controlled. The real point of a projector is having a bigass screen!

Ask Bluerunner

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 09:02 (3229 days ago) @ Vortech

Projectors can't really project black. As that light scatters from the projector to the screen, some of the darker areas of the picture will get some light in them, reducing the contrast. Light from any other source is also going to wash out the picture a little.

Do they make any projectors for RVs?

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 03:08 (3229 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

*OT* Looking to get a projector...

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 12:02 (3229 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Can anyone help me out with some advice on this front? I've probably got 9-12 feet depending on whether I decide to use a standing screen or a mounted one.

First off, if you can shell out around $2k -$2.5k on the projector, you can get an amazing picture (black levels, contrast, etc) and have it also be great for gaming with small input lag. I think the Sony projectors fit this slot pretty well.

However, since it looks like that may not be an option, I can tell you that my brother has the benq w1070 and I'm pretty darn impressed with its picture and it has very minimal input lag. My epson 8700ub has a better picture but worse input lag and also cost about $750 more. It's enough lag to be noticeable while playing. So make sure and double check that for each. And based off what I've read and what I've seen with his benq, the price range you're looking in has some really solid projectors nowadays. Not so much in the recent past.

I'd also say that as long as projectorcentral gives a favorable review, you're probably good to go. Remember: Once you get it home and set it up, you won't be comparing it to other projectors. If you're happy with it at home, that's all that counts. The little niggling comparisons won't matter then.

As for a screen, I built what I consider a midrange screen for about $75. Easy peasy. White vinyl, poplar lumber, and black velveteen. Hung it on the wall similar to what bluerunner said.

- CC If you can't control light in your room, go for lumens.

PS - I have a 100" screen at about 12-13 ft. I think my projector has a zoom ratio of 1.5.

PPS - Horizontal and vertical lens shift make mounting a lot easier. Look for that too.

Waiting for Oculus Rift/Project Morpheus ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 17:00 (3229 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

- No text -

*OT* Looking to get a projector...

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 00:45 (3229 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I can give a thumbs up to Optoma. Owned two of them, been very happy with them. Great performance for the money.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread