Playstation LifeStyle interview with Luke... (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:18 (3233 days ago)

As per the front page:

Interesting how I haven't seen it discussed here. Luke drops the first hints that a nerf is coming for exotic hand cannons (with the "outlier" Thorn in particular). That could be huge, and his reference to the oscillating weapon classes got me thinking about the "next challenger", pulse rifles. Between the Messenger, Red Death, and Three Little Words, I think we'll be seeing a lot of hatred for those once the EHC nerf comes about...

Also with regards to how he says that they want weapons to fluctuate in use over time, I think a big reason that shotguns became so prevalent once more is because of the range of a select few, and the butchering that the once-dominating Fusion Rifles got, so I hope this doesn't mean that shotguns will be nerfed as a whole soon because of these few "outliers"...

Playstation LifeStyle interview with Luke...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:21 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

Also with regards to how he says that they want weapons to fluctuate in use over time, I think a big reason that shotguns became so prevalent once more is because of the range of a select few, and the butchering that the once-dominating Fusion Rifles got, so I hope this doesn't mean that shotguns will be nerfed as a whole soon because of these few "outliers"...

Speaking as someone who has never balanced any gameplay in video games, I would think they'd nerf some of the perks rather than the shotguns as a whole, since the perks seem to be the biggest culprits.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:42 (3233 days ago) @ Xenos

Speaking as someone who has balanced weapons in FPS PvP, I think bungie has been balancing their weapons in exactly the wrong ways.

They seem to come up with base models for each class, balance all of those, and then add in perks and exotic behavior. The problem with this is that players don't want to play with the base weapons; they want the ideal perk combos and exotics with the largest advantage.

When I worked on weapon balance for the early CoD games, we took the ideal scenario for each weapon and balanced those. Then we removed all of the bonuses and looked at the base weapons to see if there were any truly horrible outliers. If there were, we buffed those base models in ways that kept the final, ideally upgraded weapons' stats the same as when we originally balanced them (eg: the DMR with ACOG scope was balanced, but with iron sights it was awful, so we added some zoom to the iron sights to make the base model not totally horrid to use).

We also played with other stats on the weapons. The BAR in CoD:BRO was just the best gun, period. Our weapon designer wanted it to feel authentic, but sadly the authentic reason that not every allied solider had one in WWII was because they were too expensive and took too long to mass produce. So to keep the accuracy and damage values in line with the real weapon, we reduced the player's walking speed, ADS speed, and turning speed when they had that weapon equipped. Likewise, when people used the pistols, we greatly increased movement and turning speeds to make up for the guns being totally inaccurate at range and doing (relatively) little damage. As far as I'm aware, that game was the first FPS that actually messed with player controls in an attempt to balance the weapons.

Anyway, I think Destiny's weapon balance should be re-assessed assuming every player has an ideal roll for their chosen weapons. Balance that, remove the perks, and then modify base stats to bring every weapon up to a baseline 80-90% effectiveness compared to the ideal roll. I also think they should make time to kill slower across the board (current TTKs of less than 2 seconds are not fun).

That all being said, the real problem with Destiny multiplayer is the awful netcode. I don't really get how you can go about balancing weapons when you still have invincible players running around soaking up golden gun shots and people getting postmortem melee kills. Gotta fix that first, imo.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:59 (3233 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Didn't know you worked on CoD, but great points. Goto the best, balance, then take it all away and rebalance. It's a bit harder when they have 1000's of different combos and guns, but use the baselines as you stated. Most of the perks don't change time to kill anyways though.

Does anyone know if their netcode is TCP instead of UDP? It just seems like they don't want to decide a winner, so everyone loses. And that was one of the reasons they stated they didn't do TCP in PvP during Halo Reach but did for FireFight (prob why FF vs was never a constant thing)

UDP vs. TCP

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:46 (3233 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Does anyone know if their netcode is TCP instead of UDP? It just seems like they don't want to decide a winner, so everyone loses. And that was one of the reasons they stated they didn't do TCP in PvP during Halo Reach but did for FireFight (prob why FF vs was never a constant thing)

So... any system that is sending real-time data is going to use UDP instead of TCP. This is as true for Destiny/Halo/CoD as it is for a Skype video chat or a VoIP phone call.

The benefit that TCP offers is that it guarantees complete bit-perfect transmission, which is essential for something like serving a web page or downloading an application binary. There is, however, non-trivial overhead involved in the setup, transmission, and teardown of those connections. In TCP, the Source needs to remember what it sent until the Recipient acknowledges that it received those bytes, and if the routing between two hosts is wonky, the server ends up spending a lot of time re-transmitting stuff that it had already sent. This re-transmission can delay new data from being sent immediately, so a few transmission errors can cause a cascade of delays and it can be impossible to catch back up to real-time. In a game, this would be awful.

UDP, on the other hand, does not guarantee packet arrival, instead opting for a quick, "best attempt" transmission. In real-time applications, "old" packets are useless (who needs to know where the enemy was or what someone said 5 seconds ago?!), so it's better to just ship the data and assume that the recipient will receive most of what was sent. Anything that's missing can be "smudged over" with interpolation because it'll be irrelevant after a few seconds anyway.

In short, downloading an OS update to your computer is not time sensitive but does require a 100% bit-perfect transmission, so the overhead that TCP provides is worthwhile. But knowing exactly where the damn Blade Dancer is right now can be critical to the game experience, so TCP overhead can actually cause more problems than it solves for real-time applications, and that's why games and voice chats use UDP. ;-)

That said, there are certainly things I'd expect Destiny to use TCP for (although I have no idea if this is actually true), most notably transactional information from the world server such as loot drops, equipment changes, XP gains, and the like. That's the sort of stuff you want to make sure the server knows about, be it 0.05 or 5 seconds after the fact.

I don't remember Firefight switching the networking code to TCP, but it would make sense in light of the fact that the game was in "lockstep," requiring everyone to pause and re-synchronize when clients fell behind. That sort of thing would be absolutely horrendous in PvP.

UDP vs. TCP

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:52 (3233 days ago) @ Beorn
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:57

I don't remember Firefight switching the networking code to TCP, but it would make sense in light of the fact that the game was in "lockstep," requiring everyone to pause and re-synchronize when clients fell behind. That sort of thing would be absolutely horrendous in PvP.

I seriously doubt it ever used TCP. A game would be unplayable over TCP. Usually what is done is you send out duplicate packets staggered with the next batch. So if one drops, you have a duplicate arriving shortly. TCP would hang up and try to resend it, sometimes requiring SECONDS of latency.

Good read:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131781/the_internet_sucks_or_what_i_.php?print=1

What was actually happening was that a packet would get lost. The TCP protocol specifies that packets will always be delivered, and furthermore, that they will always be delivered in order. TCP uses a system of acknowledgements to verify that packets are successfully delivered, and will re-send packets if they are lost in transmission. The "in order" specification means that if a packet must be re-sent, the packets that follow it are delayed until the lost packet is received. The problem is that when an Internet connection starts dropping packets, it becomes very likely that the re-sent packet will also get dropped. This means it can take several seconds for a packet to arrive at its destination.

Lesson two: TCP is evil. Don’t use TCP for a game. You would rather spend the rest of your life watching Titanic over and over in a theater full of 13 year old girls. First of all, TCP refuses to deliver any of the other packets in the stream while it waits for the next "in order" packet. This is why we would see latencies in the 5-second range. Second of all, if a packet is having a tough time getting to its destination, TCP will actually stop re-sending it! The theory is that if packets are being dropped that it's due to congestion. Therefore, it is worthless to try re-sending because that will only make the congestion worse. So TCP will actually stop sending packets, and start sending occasional little test packets. When the test packets start to get through reliably, TCP will gradually start sending real packets again. This "slow re-start" algorithm explains why we would see latencies in the 50-second range

Ooh! I once heard a great joke about UDP.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 02:41 (3233 days ago) @ Beorn

I'd tell you, but you might not get it.
[image]

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 03:24 (3233 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Beorn pretty much covered it, but I'd like to add in that the game's communication being synchronous or asynchronous doesn't necessarily mean the transport protocol has to be TCP or UDP. The game itself could be handling synchronization, but still send packets via UDP (at least in theory - I have no idea what it's really doing).

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 12:04 (3232 days ago) @ stabbim

Beorn pretty much covered it, but I'd like to add in that the game's communication being synchronous or asynchronous doesn't necessarily mean the transport protocol has to be TCP or UDP. The game itself could be handling synchronization, but still send packets via UDP (at least in theory - I have no idea what it's really doing).

Yup yup. This is what I expect really was happening in Firefight.

By design?

by yakaman, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:02 (3233 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Speaking as someone who has balanced weapons in FPS PvP, I think bungie has been balancing their weapons in exactly the wrong ways.

They seem to come up with base models for each class, balance all of those, and then add in perks and exotic behavior. The problem with this is that players don't want to play with the base weapons; they want the ideal perk combos and exotics with the largest advantage.

I wonder how much is intentional. Everything in balance probably leads to a sedentary player base, no? The slow cycle of "overpowered" kind of generates seasons of renewal as different weapons/exotics/perks rise and fall.

Debate and conflict are fuel, in other words. As soon as you get comfortable with Suros, it is diminished. Each player is softly pushed to grow and change. Maybe that's too sophisticated to do purposely, but the effect is probably pretty healthy.

And also periodically frustrating... :p

By design? Totally possible.

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 22:26 (3233 days ago) @ yakaman

I wonder how much is intentional. Everything in balance probably leads to a sedentary player base, no? The slow cycle of "overpowered" kind of generates seasons of renewal as different weapons/exotics/perks rise and fall.

Debate and conflict are fuel, in other words. As soon as you get comfortable with Suros, it is diminished. Each player is softly pushed to grow and change. Maybe that's too sophisticated to do purposely, but the effect is probably pretty healthy.

And also periodically frustrating... :p

This is completely plausible.

Personally, I *hate* that theory of design (that nothing is locked, everything is fluid), and I especially hate it in an investment game where players have spent hours upon hours leveling up item X because it is the powerful one; to take that away from them not because it's overpowered but simply because you decide the move the meta is, I think, cruel. That being said, it's definitely a design philosophy that exists in several games I can think of. Grr.

Everything in balance can lead to a playerbase that gets the 1 thing they want and then stops investing in looking for new stuff. This basically removes your investment "hooks" from the player because they have everything they want. The game is laid bare without the slot machine and progression model tie-ins and the player realizes there isn't actually very much to do and they quit. In theory, anyway. So to keep the investment model working, you give players limited storage so they can't just keep every item in case of future meta shifts. Then you shift the meta periodically, forcing them to get back into the investment slot machine to get the new hotness (even if they already had it once). The hooks stay in.

This is what I deem to be "abusive" game design. It's really slimy and I don't like it at all, but it is totally possible that this is what's going on.

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:03 (3233 days ago) @ Kahzgul

When I worked on weapon balance for the early CoD games, we took the ideal scenario for each weapon and balanced those. Then we removed all of the bonuses and looked at the base weapons to see if there were any truly horrible outliers. If there were, we buffed those base models in ways that kept the final, ideally upgraded weapons' stats the same as when we originally balanced them (eg: the DMR with ACOG scope was balanced, but with iron sights it was awful, so we added some zoom to the iron sights to make the base model not totally horrid to use).

We also played with other stats on the weapons. The BAR in CoD:BRO was just the best gun, period. Our weapon designer wanted it to feel authentic, but sadly the authentic reason that not every allied solider had one in WWII was because they were too expensive and took too long to mass produce. So to keep the accuracy and damage values in line with the real weapon, we reduced the player's walking speed, ADS speed, and turning speed when they had that weapon equipped. Likewise, when people used the pistols, we greatly increased movement and turning speeds to make up for the guns being totally inaccurate at range and doing (relatively) little damage. As far as I'm aware, that game was the first FPS that actually messed with player controls in an attempt to balance the weapons.

Were you with Grey Matter, or Treyarch?

Anyway, I think Destiny's weapon balance should be re-assessed assuming every player has an ideal roll for their chosen weapons. Balance that, remove the perks, and then modify base stats to bring every weapon up to a baseline 80-90% effectiveness compared to the ideal roll. I also think they should make time to kill slower across the board (current TTKs of less than 2 seconds are not fun).

The issue is that some guns are that way by design (Hawkmoon can kill in one shot if you're lucky, two shots if you're slightly less lucky), and I think Bungie based their weapon philosophy on DPS as a whole. If you mess with the perks, you gotta take into account the way some stack, and how some perks (such as Full Auto) tweak the base stats of the weapon (or player). And that's before you even get to base stats on a weapon. It makes sense WHY they take the "easy" approach, but I think it's wrong too...

That all being said, the real problem with Destiny multiplayer is the awful netcode. I don't really get how you can go about balancing weapons when you still have invincible players running around soaking up golden gun shots and people getting postmortem melee kills. Gotta fix that first, imo.

+1

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:44 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

The issue is that some guns are that way by design (Hawkmoon can kill in one shot if you're lucky, two shots if you're slightly less lucky), and I think Bungie based their weapon philosophy on DPS as a whole. If you mess with the perks, you gotta take into account the way some stack, and how some perks (such as Full Auto) tweak the base stats of the weapon (or player). And that's before you even get to base stats on a weapon. It makes sense WHY they take the "easy" approach, but I think it's wrong too...

I think the perks are a big problem, compounded by reforging. Some perks are just so incredibly dominant. Hand cannons are the example right now of having way too much range. As much as I want to play with a Hawkmoon before the nerf, I think hand cannons do have problems. When I can kill a sniper with a Devil you Know or a Thorn, that's a problem. Coincidentally, both have send it on them!

Hand cannons work wonderfully in PvE. At range, they become less effective than scouts. I'm not sure why it's not like that in PvP. It feels like they have much more range in PvP than PvE.

My fix for thorn: lower the rate of fire, nix the send it perk and replace with something else, magazine down to 7 shots. You can still get those two shot kills with the damage, but you can't quite do it as fast or from as much range. I feel that will still be good, but not overpowering anymore.

My fix for Last Word: Fix the bug with the damage so that it only gets bonus damage while hip firing. Increase reload time. Keep two shot kill with hip fire.

My fix for Hawkmoon: I'll report back likely never.

I would be very very careful not to impact Legendary hand cannons. Guns like Devil You Know should probably enjoy the range advantage, given their handicap over the exotics by requiring a 3 shot kill.

I don't think fusion rifles ever dominated. It's always been shotguns. Shotguns in PvP should have their effective kill range cut by a third. You have plenty of options to get in close with sprint and blink and the like. That change alone would probably equalize fusion rifles and shotguns without any other work.

Auto Rifles are a mess, and I have no advice.

Scout Rifles are probably just not really that suited for PvP. Their effective range overlaps with snipers, where they will likely lose. Most of the maps just aren't built for them, and that's ok.

+1

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 22:39 (3233 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Regarding auto rifles and scout rifles to not bring them too far up, though some damage or stability/accuracy improvements regardless of the method. But what I would actually do to give them a better edge in their range niches, I would actually increase the amount of flinch they cause. Given how often a Scout Rifle engaging a sniper ends with the sniper taking 2-3 rounds to the noggin' followed by the sniper landing a headshot, and how muh hand cannons do similar to autorifles in their ranges, giving them benefits hat are less directly associated with Time-To-Kill might be a nice way to rebalance them to make them competitive again.

+1

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 23:12 (3233 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Regarding auto rifles and scout rifles to not bring them too far up, though some damage or stability/accuracy improvements regardless of the method. But what I would actually do to give them a better edge in their range niches, I would actually increase the amount of flinch they cause. Given how often a Scout Rifle engaging a sniper ends with the sniper taking 2-3 rounds to the noggin' followed by the sniper landing a headshot, and how muh hand cannons do similar to autorifles in their ranges, giving them benefits hat are less directly associated with Time-To-Kill might be a nice way to rebalance them to make them competitive again.

I agree with Cody on the exotics fixes. Wholeheartedly, in fact. Damage drop off for hand cannons needs to fall off a cliff at mid-range. A world where hand cannon beats sniper rifle at long range is not a world I want to live in.

I also agree with you that weapon staggers per bullet hit need to be larger for auto-rifles to stand a chance in the current meta.

If I could modify the weapons as I saw fit, I would want the effectiveness at range to look like this:

LONG RANGE
Sniper Rifle: 1-2 hits per kill. TTK Instant-1.5 sec., damage halved when not LDS. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Scout Rifle: 4-5 hits per kill. TTK: 2.8-3.5 sec. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Assault Rifle: 7-9 hits per kill. TTK: 3.5-4.5 sec.
Hand Cannon: 5-6 hits per kill. TTK:
Fusion Rifle: At least 3 full bursts per kill. TTK: ~4.5 sec
Shotgun: Ineffective.

MEDIUM LONG RANGE
Sniper Rifle: 1-2 hits per kill. TTK Instant-1.5 sec., damage halved when not LDS. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Scout Rifle: 3-5 hits per kill. TTK: 2.1-3.5 sec. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Assault Rifle: 6-7 hits per kill. TTK: 2.5-3 sec.
Hand Cannon: 4-5 hits per kill. TTK: 2.7-3.33 sec.
Fusion Rifle: At least 3 full bursts per kill. TTK: ~4.5 sec

MEDIUM RANGE
Scout Rifle: 3-4 hits per kill. TTK: 2.1-2.8 sec. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Assault Rifle: 5 hits per kill. TTK: 2 sec.
Hand Cannon: 3-4 hits per kill. TTK: 2-2.7 sec.
Fusion Rifle: At least 2 full or 3 partial bursts per kill. TTK: ~3-4.5 sec

MEDIUM SHORT RANGE
Scout Rifle: 3-4 hits per kill. TTK: 2.1-2.8 sec. Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Assault Rifle: 5 hits per kill. TTK: 2 sec.
Hand Cannon: 2-3 hits per kill. TTK: 1.3-2 sec.
Fusion Rifle: At least 2 partial bursts per kill. TTK: ~3 sec.
Shotgun: 3 full bursts per kill. TTK: 3 sec.

SHORT RANGE:
Scout Rifle: 3-4 hits per kill. TTK: 2.1-2.8 sec Headshots impossible when not LDS.
Assault Rifle: 5 hits per kill. TTK: 2 sec
Hand Cannon: 2-3 hits per kill. TTK: 1.3-2 sec
Fusion Rifle: 1 burst per kill. TTK: Charge time (~1.5 sec)
Shotgun: 1 burst per kill. TTK: Instant

The result would be you can choose your weapon to have an ideal distance to target where that weapon class is the fastest TTK overall. Closer range weapons would have faster theoretical TTKs than longer ranged weapons, and longer ranged weapons would be less effective in close range because they do less damage or cannot score critical hits when hip-firing. Long range encounters would be slower paced than close-range ones, giving surprised players more time to find cover while rewarding skilled snipers. Close range encounters would be extremely fast-paced with no time to hide (as it is now), rewarding players for clever flanking maneuvers and surprise attacks around corners.

+1

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 22:47 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

Were you with Grey Matter, or Treyarch?

Treyarch.

I'm not really sure that it's "easier" to do it the way that it seems it was done. I just think that they didn't expect balance to be such a big deal, didn't expect players to play so close to the bleeding edge of "best theoretical builds," and didn't plan out how to keep balance as the game progressed. I mean, a lot of the workflow and design of the game just seems backwards to me from how you'd want to do a progressively adaptable game with a constant stream of new content flowing into it. They automated all kinds of things that would make more sense (and take little time) to have curated (bounties, Xur's items, Nightfall modifiers etc.) and simultaneously made a game world that seems to have hard-coded enemy types, spawn numbers, levels, etc. all the while claiming that this is a world that will grow with the players. Heck, even the "random" in-game world events are actually on a very predictable schedule. It doesn't make sense to me unless I frame almost every design element in the cloak of "how can we be evil to get our players addicted?" And that makes me sad.

+1

by Avateur @, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 03:02 (3233 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Avateur, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 03:05

I just want to say that your posts, and the reactions from others, have been fantastic. I'm glad someone out there gets it. No, correction. I'm glad you've actually worked on it! And thank god you're willing to post about it. It's nice seeing stuff like this when counter arguments are "it's all in your heads" and such.

As for the netcode issue, I wonder if it's because they stayed with last-gen, and I wonder if that somehow limited them to a standard P2P style of play. I wonder if there will ever be a plan to introduce dedicated servers into Destiny or one of its sequels. Sure, there may still be some networking problems, but it would definitely help out in a number of ways.

Speaking of netcode, I would have to say that the most frustrating and even enraging thing about Halo 3 was its netcode. The ridiculous latency and host issues that could decide games in high-ranked competitive play just got to be too much sometimes. In Master Chief Collection, assuming the game starts with dedicated servers, Halo 3 is absolutely fantastic to play. I'm holding out hope that maybe one day something similar will happen to Destiny, and that maybe there will be a similar, largely beneficial effect.

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 18:13 (3232 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by slycrel ⌂, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 17:33 (3232 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Going to disagree with you here. I'm pretty sure the reason you can get a post-mortem kill is that they have timestamped actions. And there's a window where you can get "simultaneous" results. It's funner to trade shotgun or melee kills than it is to literally get beaten by 0.01 seconds to the punch. I think this is a skill/cheat equalizer, and very intentional. And it's also based on "game time" not "current real time". This is to prevent laggy players, or even players with bad connections between each other, basically teleporting all over the place.

So here's the thing. Lag makes this seem worse than it is. If a laggy player and a non-laggy player melee each other at the same time, but the laggy player doesn't die for a second or three, it's because of the game sync timestamping things. It's how they've chosen to manage lag. If you get a 1 second hiccup in your network traffic, the game still plays relatively smoothly -- you almost can't tell. They're working hard behind the scenes to make sure every avatar in your game is in the right place at the right time, relative to everyone else via the game timestamp.

This has some nasty side effects though. For someone who is really laggy, they are seeing in real time what may have actually happened seconds ago for everyone else. but since they are lagging, it looks like real time to them. So, they punch someone within a split second of seeing them. For the laggy guy, they also see the person punch them at the same time even though it happened 3-4 seconds ago. The original player who "hit first" finally gets a response, once the laggy player catches up and both players die.

This gets complicated fast when there's someone with super-lag. If someone should have died 5 seconds ago, but killed 2 people in the meantime, do those 2 people still die? How far do you go to make sure things stay in sync?

From a developer perspective, I think bungie has had to make some hard choices, and overall have done a great job with their net code. It's exploitable somewhat, but for the average player it's a much better experience because of it.

+1, couldn't agree more

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 02, 2015, 19:49 (3232 days ago) @ slycrel

- No text -

by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 21:22 (3232 days ago) @ slycrel
edited by Kahzgul, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 21:29

I'm not talking about "simultaneous" kills. I'm talking about meleeing a dude, watching him take no damage, turn around, blast me with his shotgun, me die, and then him falling over and me getting a postmortem medal.

And I hear what you're saying about lag, but i think that when bungie made the hard choices you describe, they made the wrong choices. It's an unfair advantage to laggers (which is why lag-switching is a thing) because they can lag out, soak 3 full golden gun blasts, kill 2 dudes, and then the game catches up. No other FPS game I've ever played handles lag the way that Destiny does, and no other FPS game I've ever played is as frustrating when it comes to laggy players feeling overpowered and unkillable.

The whole game has TTKs of less than 2 seconds, which means shooting even a single extra bullet at someone while they're lagging has real consequences on your ability to fight the next guy. They seem to have some sort of "server by committee" thing going on where all of the players' systems have to agree on what's happening before it happens, whereas most games just make whoever has the fastest connection be the host. Sure, in Destiny you don't feel that "host advantage" but you certainly feel that lagging is tantamount to cheating.

For whatever reason, it's always magnified during Iron Banner, and is much worse than standard crucible.

My point though, is that there's a really standard model for FPS multiplayer when you don't have dedicated hosts, it works great, and Bungie decided to re-invent the wheel with side effects that I absolutely think are atrocious and were avoidable.

Well, that's, like, your opinion, man

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, July 02, 2015, 22:59 (3232 days ago) @ Kahzgul

:p

But seriously, while I get where you're coming from, I also see the other side of the coin. If it wasn't for that thing, the guy you melee'd to death probably did notice you and shoot you before you got close to him. It's you who is the "died first" dude. I mean, not necessarily, but who knows? Well, I don't, do you? Well, I don't, do you?

My approach to Destiny is simply to not consider it in any way competitive. Several things are unbalanced, Supers are OP, gametypes don't really promote their real playstyle, etc. If I take Destiny's PvP competitively, I'd simply rage-quit the game entirely.

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 08:25 (3231 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 08:32

:p

But seriously, while I get where you're coming from, I also see the other side of the coin. If it wasn't for that thing, the guy you melee'd to death probably did notice you and shoot you before you got close to him. It's you who is the "died first" dude. I mean, not necessarily, but who knows? Well, I don't, do you? Well, I don't, do you?

My approach to Destiny is simply to not consider it in any way competitive. Several things are unbalanced, Supers are OP, gametypes don't really promote their real playstyle, etc. If I take Destiny's PvP competitively, I'd simply rage-quit the game entirely.

I'm sure the guy on the other end feels like I was lagging, too. That's my point. Bungie made Destiny's pvp favor smoother graphics over more accurate gameplay, and I think it was a mistake. I don't care if someone's all herky-jerky so long as they actually die when I shoot them, but in Destiny some guy with a bad connection looks just like a normal guy, except he doesn't take any damage when I shoot him, and then after just long enough for me to need to reload, he teleports backwards and suddenly is able to shoot and kill me. There's very little you can do to identify a lagger prior to wasting ammo on them. They also remain magnetic to your aim, so if they lag in front of someone else on their team who is a legit target, your bullets aren't going to hit the guy who can actually take damage. I wish the game would identify when a player was shot but took no damage, figured out it was lag, and then made the guy intangible until the lag caught up. Or, really, I wish this was not an every-other-game frequency event. It's just too damn common. WAY too common. And it literally throws the balance of a game. One laggy guy on a team can soak supers, heavy ammo, etc and effectively cause the other team to waste their precious death fuel. Even if he doesn't get many points, he's seriously hurting the other team.

Edit: I'm not trying to say "ugh this is unfair to me," I'm trying to say "ugh this was a poor design choice that is executed in the most frustrating way I can think of, and exacerbated by the scarcity of ammunition and the opportunity cost of long reloads, and in such a way that provides a tangible benefit to the teammates of the lagger, thereby encouraging lag-switching which is, effectively, cheating. Whereas, in most FPS games, the lagging player doesn't soak bullets like he does in Destiny, so lagging is a disadvantage to your team."

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, July 03, 2015, 15:49 (3231 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Yeah, it seems Destiny, unlike most FPSs, did not focus at all in the "competitive fairness" side of PvP netcode and just went with "smooth and casual". I, for one, appreciate the change of pace. While I usually had a blast with Halo, my experience was plagued with "I feel like I can't do shit" lag. Destiny's design allows me (and others) to feel useful even when experiencing that kind of lag.

Ok, so the problem is you don't agree with Bungie's design choice at all, even considering the bright side. You think that the negatives outweigh the positives. I suppose that's fair. Agree to disagree, then. :)

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 18:58 (3231 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah, it seems Destiny, unlike most FPSs, did not focus at all in the "competitive fairness" side of PvP netcode and just went with "smooth and casual". I, for one, appreciate the change of pace. While I usually had a blast with Halo, my experience was plagued with "I feel like I can't do shit" lag. Destiny's design allows me (and others) to feel useful even when experiencing that kind of lag.

Ok, so the problem is you don't agree with Bungie's design choice at all, even considering the bright side. You think that the negatives outweigh the positives. I suppose that's fair. Agree to disagree, then. :)

Gonna have to :)

There are lots of compelling things that Destiny pvp gets right: I love the mix of weapons, the fact that very different builds and playstyles remain valid, and that everyone has supers to fall back on as the great equalizers. I love all of that. When there's no lag, the game is really, really seamless. But when lag happens, which is almost every game, especially during Iron Banner, that one laggy player essentially ruins it. It becomes totally frustrating and unfair feeling, and I get the sense that I'm losing to the lag rather than player skill. Philosophically, I don't believe the game should ever actively help or hinder a team because of a bug, especially an exploitable one.

Weapons are one thing, but mayhem sounds like...

by yakaman, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:56 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

As per the front page:

...a great way to get a lot of reps quickly, so they can balance supers and the new classes.

Everything sped up (fast regenerating supers and grenades) sounds like a lab experiment. I know Luke presented it as a good way for people to get familiar with the new classes/abilities, I think it gives Bungie an opportunity for an accelerated data set.

Weapons are one thing, but mayhem sounds like...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 19:57 (3233 days ago) @ yakaman

...a great way to get a lot of reps quickly, so they can balance supers and the new classes.

by Mad_Stylus, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:38 (3233 days ago) @ Korny

Ehhh. Its not like Mythoclast, where it was near impossible to beat them out before the nerf. You can still beat out a Thorn, or a Last Word, etc. Heck, I've seen it done with blues.

Handcannons are supposed to be highly rewarding... if you can pull them off reliably. The recoil, low fire rate and ammo clip means your supposed to be picking your shots carefully from a comfortable distance. If you take away that punch, your left with something that does as well as some of the low damage outliers while being less ergonomic to use.

At the least, I don't want to have to be constantly rotating my arsenal out as one weapon type goes down and another goes up. That and an RPG will always have an "ideal" item for any given function. Perfect balance never exists, and the closer systems try and get to it the more convoluted things get.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 01, 2015, 20:49 (3233 days ago) @ Mad_Stylus

At the least, I don't want to have to be constantly rotating my arsenal out as one weapon type goes down and another goes up. That and an RPG will always have an "ideal" item for any given function. Perfect balance never exists, and the closer systems try and get to it the more convoluted things get.

Ideally you should have options though. Try playing Trials. Thorn is the go to. It's an issue of Thorn being so incredibly precise at a huge range. Having a two shot kill I feel is fine, but that should only be reliably obtained within the mid range.

The exotic hand cannons just need a few very specific fixes, which will allow you to keep their power and reward skilled gunplay, yet not dominate in absolutely every situation. See my reply to Korny's +1 post.

There is no bullet drop...

by Durandal, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 00:20 (3233 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Thorn really has it all since it's buff, range, rate of fire, damage. Last Word has always been good close in but at range it feels about the same as any other hand cannon.

The thing is that shotguns are really effective in their chosen range bands, and outside of those ranges a good HC or PR can cover easily. There are only a handful of maps that really get to long range like Skyshock, Last Light or the new European Dead Zone one. Fusion rifles, especially after the nerf really suffer in the mid range band. The charge is too long and if you don't land the full burst you seldom have a chance to get another one. Even in PVE they are lackluster. Automatic shotguns will do a number on those Majors busting in the door but hit them with a fusion rifle and they barely blink. I almost think they need to be replaced with the Pro Pipe from Halo.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread