Destiny could have been funnier (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 13:23 (3232 days ago)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/01/david-cross-discusses-efforts-to-make-ghost-funny-in-destiny?watch

I can understand why they went the route they went... but can you imagine a wise-cracking ghost with David Cross-written dialogue?

Oh, the things that could have been... :)

Destiny could have been funnier

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 13:38 (3232 days ago) @ Claude Errera

This is what I was hoping our ghost would be like.

[image]

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 15:07 (3232 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yes, that would have been amazing.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 15:16 (3232 days ago) @ bluerunner

This is what I was hoping our ghost would be like.

[image]

Likewise, I had Hoped that Ghost would have actually played a key part of your story, but alas, he was nothing but a skeleton key, and the equivalent of that stand by the nearby mall's entrance that tells you what the weather is like just beyond the glass doors.

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 20:31 (3232 days ago) @ bluerunner

Well there's your problem; Dinklebot's 'Funny' setting was set to zero.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 21:36 (3231 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

Well there's your problem; Dinklebot's 'Funny' setting was set to zero.

It's true! He literally gets mad when you make the only joke in the whole game "little light".

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, July 03, 2015, 00:52 (3231 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I never read that as anger. More like a friend calling me "Rag" and me saying in a faux annoyed tone, "It's Raga. I ain't no dish towel." Your Ghost isn't all laugh track or anything, but he does have a (somewhat dry) sense of humor:

"Oh, we slayed a Gate Lord!"
"Can't we just stay here with the murderous robots?"
etc.

Now I'm sad.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 13:42 (3232 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 13:53 (3232 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's a shame, he was really funny on Arrested Development.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 15:15 (3232 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Destiny really needs a Han Solo. I hope they add in some funny quips in the new expansion.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 15:19 (3232 days ago) @ Funkmon

Destiny really needs a Han Solo. I hope they add in some funny quips in the new expansion.

Apparently Zavala makes fun of Eris in the campaign mission they played at E3.

error code: caterpillar. please stand by.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Friday, July 03, 2015, 12:34 (3231 days ago) @ Xenos

One of my favorite lines from an NPC in the Reef.

Press X to skip joke

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 23:05 (3231 days ago) @ Funkmon

Even good jokes don't improve with repetition. If the content was good, people would be clamoring for more after they've heard the ones they link ten, a hundred, a thousand times.

If they were bad, they'd be clamoring for a Skip Joke button.

Press X to skip joke

by petetheduck, Thursday, July 02, 2015, 23:16 (3231 days ago) @ narcogen

Even good jokes don't improve with repetition. If the content was good, people would be clamoring for more after they've heard the ones they link ten, a hundred, a thousand times.

If they were bad, they'd be clamoring for a Skip Joke button.

Yeah, that "joke" Eris had about ghosts opening doors was a little cringeworthy. I'm not confident in Bungie delivering funny.

Press X to skip joke

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, July 03, 2015, 00:23 (3231 days ago) @ petetheduck

Yeah, that "joke" Eris had about ghosts opening doors was a little cringeworthy. I'm not confident in Bungie delivering funny.

Really? I liked it. It was purposefully self-deprecating given the early criticisms about the Ghost and I appreciate that it’s on a randomized trigger. I think I’ve only heard it three times ever, so it’s still fun to hear.

Press X to skip joke

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, July 03, 2015, 00:39 (3231 days ago) @ Beorn

Really? I liked it. It was purposefully self-deprecating given the early criticisms about the Ghost and I appreciate that it’s on a randomized trigger. I think I’ve only heard it three times ever, so it’s still fun to hear.

Actually I liked that joke as well. I do, however, think it is demonstrative of the point that Bungie seems to have intentionally made that line of dialogue less common than others.

I also just think Eris in general is a riot.

Press X to skip joke

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, July 03, 2015, 00:41 (3231 days ago) @ narcogen

I also just think Eris in general is a riot.

I really like the way Luke Timmins described Eris as this crazy lady that keeps saying stuff like "He's coming!" and you just think she's crazy, but now in The Taken King we're going to realize, oh crap! He really is coming!

I think that's a decent execution.

by Funkmon @, Friday, July 03, 2015, 01:19 (3231 days ago) @ petetheduck

The joke's lame, but if a particular story event has multiple dialogue possibilities, some rarer than others, it's fun! Eris was the closest to that with that line.

I liked it.

I'd love to skip the joke that is this game's cutscenes.

by Kahzgul, Friday, July 03, 2015, 08:28 (3231 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

This joke is not a natural vocalization

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, July 03, 2015, 12:20 (3231 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Doesn't mean it leads somewhere, though.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Friday, July 03, 2015, 14:16 (3231 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

- No text -

"Destiny could have been..." X. Solve for X.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, July 03, 2015, 14:45 (3231 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

Something that struck me while playing MCC...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, July 03, 2015, 17:23 (3231 days ago) @ Claude Errera

... was just how funny Halo 1-3 were at times. Some of the dialog during cutscenes, banter between NPCs, reactions of the Grunts and Elites... the original Halo trilogy made me laugh out loud constantly. 343 has burned almost all humor from the Halo franchise since they took over, but I expected Bungie to retain more of their classic humor with Destiny.

I like to imagine...

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Saturday, July 04, 2015, 00:01 (3230 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That Tobias Funke pulled up to Bungie ready to get some lines written and in a series of hilarious misunderstandings he gets the impression he's actually supposed to be there even though he isn't.

I'm curious to see what he wrote.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread