The Great Dismantling [weapon management guide] (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:17 (3221 days ago)

Planet Destiny posted this great article called The Great Dismantling. Really helpful for anyone who is struggling with our limited vault space. They do a nice job of breaking down the various things to consider when you're trying to decide "should I keep this or shard it?".

As someone who has been struggling with lack of vault space for a few months now, this article inspired me to finally go ahead and delete 2 of my 3 mythoclasts. I still have a long way to go, but the extra breathing room feels good :)

The Great Dismantling [weapon management guide]

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:31 (3221 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is a major problem I have. And I find I rarely run these new weapons so I don't know what I like (aside from my goto weapons, which are all equipped & therefore not the problem).

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:37 (3221 days ago) @ dogcow

This is a major problem I have. And I find I rarely run these new weapons so I don't know what I like (aside from my goto weapons, which are all equipped & therefore not the problem).

Quite the opposite for me. I've deleted all but a few of my old weapons. I have maybe 3 or 4 Vanilla and TDB legendaries.

I really prefer the new weapons. Maybe it's because I've converted to a pulse rifle guy, and there are a good many new pulse rifles. I'm also into shotties and RL's, also of which there are many good ones. Mostly this is because of being able to reroll them though. I think that it was better when you simply had the RNG system for perks.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:55 (3221 days ago) @ red robber

Quite the opposite for me. I've deleted all but a few of my old weapons. I have maybe 3 or 4 Vanilla and TDB legendaries.

I really prefer the new weapons. Maybe it's because I've converted to a pulse rifle guy, and there are a good many new pulse rifles. I'm also into shotties and RL's, also of which there are many good ones. Mostly this is because of being able to reroll them though. I think that it was better when you simply had the RNG system for perks.

For me, the "sets" are taking up the bulk of my inventory space. I have complete weapon sets for VoG, CE, Iron Banner, and Trials of Osiris (except for the rocket launcher). There is no good justification for hanging on to some of these weapons, but I put so much work into chasing them down that I can't imagine getting rid of them. Plus a lot of them are elemental primaries, which are always good to have.

With the new gear, I'm finding that the ability to re-roll does negate the need to collect more than 1 or 2 of each weapon type. I got a scout rifle with the base stats I like, and re-rolled it until I had my ideal set of perks. Same with hand cannons, rocket launchers, etc.

Think I'll dismantle my Queen's Wrath guns

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, July 13, 2015, 19:26 (3221 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

They're pretty, but they're so easy to reobtain it shouldn't hurt too bad. Plus their base stats largely suck. A VoC with only 13 rounds? La di da.

This.

by ProbablyLast, Monday, July 13, 2015, 18:42 (3221 days ago) @ red robber

I could probably fit all of my guns onto my two characters, maybe needing to use my reject Hunter to hold a couple of primaries. Half of those weapons I could delete and not notice they were gone.

Can't wait until Taken King makes my raid weapons obsolete so I can throw them away as well.

I refuse!

by Funkmon @, Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:52 (3221 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I have 78 guns and only 64 holes for guns on two characters if I delete my hunter to get Another stranger's rifle. Yes, I have 3 Fatebringers, 3 mythoclasts, and so on. But dammit it's a quality of life thing. I guess I could dump the POE guns and get rid of 9, but I like those.

Can't do it.

What are you holding in the postmaster?

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 13, 2015, 17:56 (3221 days ago) @ Funkmon

I recently deleted and replaced my hunter, and was able to shard a lot of raid gear because some extras had accumulated in my other characters' "lost items" section. And I was out of new stuff to level anyway.

Zero things at postmaster. :(

by Funkmon @, Monday, July 13, 2015, 18:06 (3221 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

In that case, start running raids with a full inventory.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 13, 2015, 18:13 (3221 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Know What I Think?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 02:12 (3220 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's about time we form a Tribunal. A gathering of weapon experts, on hand to advise the public on managing their hardware.

People come forward with their weapon/armor name, perks and power level. The group reviews it and informs the inquirer to either keep it, reforge it, or destroy it. Masters of the Light to clear out the Darkness. Kings of the hammer, forging fire in Crucible.

Absolutely.

Let's do it. DBO weapon cynics database.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 19:09 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

House of Armory Judgement

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 19:24 (3220 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Oh that's good.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 19:52 (3220 days ago) @ ZackDark

I cannot be on this board of judges since if it doesn't have field scout and surplus I'll say to dismantle it.

You'd do great, imho

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:01 (3220 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"Shard it, yeeeeeessssss?"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:02 (3220 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I LOVE this idea!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:15 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Know What I Think?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:26 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

I nominate someotherguy as chief judge.

Know What I Think?

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:55 (3220 days ago) @ Kermit

I nominate someotherguy as chief judge.

I second the nomination.

I'm cool with this

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 21:33 (3220 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Not sure what I've done to deserve the nominations, but I'm certainly up for it.

BRING ME YOUR OFFERINGS SO THAT I MAY PASS JUDGEMENT, PUNY MORTALS

Yes please!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:31 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

I've often thought about posting some of my secondary weapons & asking for advice on weather to shard or keep...

Yes please!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:49 (3220 days ago) @ dogcow

I've often thought about posting some of my secondary weapons & asking for advice on weather to shard or keep...

Is it a fusion rifle? Does it have hammer forged? Keep. Otherwise mote it.

I knew Cody would do great as well

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:55 (3220 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

In That Case...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 21:43 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

If we're all serious about it, we can put something together a la FTB. I'm excited!

So first, we need to get to nominating(I see some of you have already started) an average of 5-10 experienced Guardians on each side of the coin: those who know how to handle the Vanguard(looking for Raiders, Strike Runners i.e. Dragon/ROC/etc, Prison Guards, Nightfallers) and those who frequently fight in Crucible(Iron Banner, Daily XP Boost playlist, Trials of Osiris, Control, Combined Arms).

Wins aren't important--at lest not in my opinion--what matters is experience; what works for them, what doesn't, what their teammates make work in the Raid or in Iron Banner, and so forth.

I'm thinking the player fills out a form--maybe auto-complete for the weapons slot--and perks in dropdown menus or fill-outs, and the submission gets sent to the Council. Votes are made, and bam.

That's just what I think for right now. I have to go right now, since there's an appointment I'm late to, but I'll be able to further elaborate on what I think would work.

In That Case...

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 21:49 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

Good thinking on the Vanguard vs. Crucible thing - guns that work for PvP may not be (and often aren't) the best choice for PvE and vice versa.

Oh, Definitely.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 01:48 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

Last Word is pathetically useless in PvE. You're obviously not going to go into Crucible with a Dragon's Breath.

Oh, Definitely.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 04:10 (3219 days ago) @ Morpheus

Last Word is pathetically useless in PvE. You're obviously not going to go into Crucible with a Dragon's Breath.

Nope.

(I don't normally use it, but I was playing on my warlock, which I never play on, the other day, and did 10 PvE bounties, plus Daily Story Mission and a 32 PoE run, using an unleveled (!!) TLW as my primary weapon - did really well.

You just have to be aware of the need to reload a lot (and make allowances in your playstyle for it).

Oh, Definitely.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 07:16 (3219 days ago) @ Claude Errera

PvE can be more forgiving of your weapon choices, yes. You can use just about anything for patrols and low-level missions. Try taking that unlevelled Last Word to Skolas though. Not a good idea.

This is the problem, really.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:19 (3219 days ago) @ Claude Errera

It's largely about playstyle. I would suggest sharding a good number of guns, but some crazy person may just like using the gun. We just did Crota, Nechrochasm only, in 40 minutes (still a decent time, don't judge us). Using the gun widely considered to be one of the worst in the game. Blackstar didn't even have that and used Eidelon Ally. No snipies, no rockets, just that shitty auto rifle.

Bungie has managed to make just about every gun GOOD ENOUGH in this game, and if you adjust your playstyle, anything will become good to use.

So, in seriousness, the thing won't work that well. It's about how you play, not what you have. And nobody, not even ME, can say what's best for a person in this game.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 08:51 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:09

This. Really the only question you have to ask is if you like using the gun. If yes, keep it. If not, throw it away.

Edit: Except for crucible. Then just use what everybody else uses and say it is fun.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 09:28 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Except for crucible. Then just use what everybody else uses and say it is fun.

Exactimundo.

Of course, you can still get away with doing strange stuff there, too. Red Robber, for example, does really well with Hard Light. I do inexplicably well with a Light Beware, and still do solid games using a Vanquisher, Summoner, or Suros. Of course, at the highest levels (read: Trials of Osiris) you're going to get your ass handed to you if you don't use Thorn, TLW, The Messenger, or Red Death.

I'm inclined to disagree

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:05 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

First off, a caveat: I absolutely agree with "Use what you enjoy using". If you like a gun don't just get rid of it because someone says it's bad. Hell, don't get rid of it even if it is bad, so long as you enjoy using it.

But obviously this wouldn't be for those people. This would be for people feeling overwhelmed by choice and looking for advice, because while you're right in saying no gun is "too bad to use", some are definitely better than others. I have a collection of guns I keep because I like the way they feel, but I also don't use those guns in Trials or against Skolas, because losing isn't fun.

An example: A high RoF/Low Impact LMG like The Culling or Sawtooth Oscillator with Increased Stability, Feeding Frenzy and Rodeo/Persistence is objectively better than the same gun with Take a Knee, Who's Next? and Small Bore. A lot of Destiny is subject to personal opinion and playstyle, but there's no situation where having less stability, slower reloads and a potentially smaller magazine is better on that particular archetype.

Another example: A pulse Rifle with Secret Round and Outlaw is a pretty nice roll for PvE, but if you want a PvP Pulse Rifle I'd always suggest Headseeker instead of SecretRound, just because PvP is a different king of gameplay where sustained DpS isn't as important.

Optimal Shotgun rolls are very different between Pve and PvP too. We all know to stack range and Impaact in PvP, but did you know a high RoF Full Auto shotgun can out-DpS Gjallarhorn in PvE? Crazy! Invective is a good choice, but you can totally roll a non-exotic to have Full Auto and an even larger magazine for even more dakka.

Just some examples to say that, essentially, play with what you enjoy (I love Invective in PvP), but if you want an edge, there are definitely some things that you should be looking out for more than others.

I don't think many people would have those questions here.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:35 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 10:38

It would largely be limited to shotpackage vs rangefinder or proximity detonation vs tracking or tripod vs clown cartridge. Even some of THAT is subjective. Not shot package, obviously, but still. Basically, there are about 3 perks on each gun type you want. All we would do is look at the pulse rifle and say "No headseeker? Don't bother in PvP." "No shot package and not full auto? Don't bother in PvP," It would be the same rolls all the time for high level PvP stuff. No purpose there. That said, I believe Red Robber, Zero and I did very well in Trials (maybe Lighthouse?) while Red was using Hard Light.

In PvE, I still think in Skolas, for example, you can use whatever you want. Squid used his Red Hand last night. I used a sniper rifle sometimes, a shotgun other times, and my primary was flopping around between fatebringer, Timur's lash, arc Messenger, and Oversoul Edict. Our only problem was networking. The only thing we can really say is for the skolas fight, stick with arc as your element and probably don't use Nechrochasm. But we also used non elemental guns and solar rocket launchers with zero problem.

So, again, PvP is the only place where it really matters and it would just be a checklist of 3 perks for your gun, like Cody Miller said, fusion rifle with the range perk? Use it. Otherwise dump it.

What we COULD do is go through the perks available on guns and write up a massive perk guide to put on the website as a collaborative feature. We could write up information about the perks, then people get a say about what they think the usefulness of the perk is.

I see a lot more "Oh, I didn't know explosive rounds didn't do extra damage to fallen and hive" or "Field Scout brings your ammo capacity to max?" "Final round procs on the last two shots of a field scout sniper?" and "Full auto doubles the fire rate of a shotgun?" stuff. This would be much more useful in a guide feature and less in a judgement feature.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:33 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

It would largely be limited to shotpackage vs rangefinder or proximity detonation vs tracking or tripod vs clown cartridge. Even some of THAT is subjective.

Maybe it's just me, but I get a lot of requests to look at this gun or that gun and say if it's any good. I don't believe in the "there's only one good roll" belief, so I'll usually just say "Well that roll is gonna be good for X circumstance, but it could do that better with Y, or if you'd rather it did Z, you could roll it for ABC".

I figure offering advice on what you can do with a roll is just as important as saying "No, Re-Roll it", especially as each archetype usually has more than one possible "best" roll depending what you want to do with it.

In PvE, I still think in Skolas, for example, you can use whatever you want. Squid used his Red Hand last night.

my primary was flopping around between fatebringer, Timur's lash, arc Messenger, and Oversoul Edict.

So between you you used 2 re-rollable handcannons, and 3 top-tier "unique" weapons. I don't think that says much for being able to use "whatever you want". I'll bet the Timur's Lash and RH9 weren't rolled with Icarus and Third Eye, either.

The only thing we can really say is for the skolas fight, stick with arc as your element and probably don't use Nechrochasm. But we also used non elemental guns and solar rocket launchers with zero problem.

I'm not trying to say you have to use certain guns or perks for Skolas. I'm just saying you probably "shouldn't" use a Doctor Nope with Rangefinder, Quickdraw and Life Support.

What we COULD do is go through the perks available on guns and write up a massive perk guide to put on the website as a collaborative feature. We could write up information about the perks, then people get a say about what they think the usefulness of the perk is.

I quite like this idea. You see a lot of breakdowns on Reddit re-roll threads but not often with that much detail and almost never for every weapon class, let alone every archetype, or with input from more than one individual. If we could run through the perks, all give some thoughts on them and what they sunergise with, then suggest some builds for each archetype, that might work quite nicely. Especially as we'd probably end up repeating ourselves if we do it all on an individual basis.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:53 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

Yeah, I think we agree more than we disagree.

Doing a massive guide is a big project I'm not responsible enough to helm, but if you want to start it and assign me a duty, I'll go through certain perks, test them, and see what I think. Maybe start a new thread for that and see if one of the admins will make a page for it if it's done.

I'd like to

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:38 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

But dat responsibility. Also I have no idea how I'd go about formatting, particularly in regards to the collaborative aspect. I guess it'd be a multi-thread job, gathering bits then updating, gathering then updating again?

Probably someone with a C in his name would do it.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:48 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Claude? ZackDark? Funcmon? :p

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 13:11 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

I actually intended to write one way back, but never got around to it. Someone give me a good format to follow and somewhere to put it and I'm up for it.

I like the idea of it being collaborative though. I like the idea of multiple viewpoints, because I know we all have different preferences. I put stability above almost anything else on ARs, Pulse and Scout Rifles, for example. I know Cody likes Range and Power on his Fusion Rifles, while I prefer speed. And of course you love your Field Scout.

Format for a weapon perk guide

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:02 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

Start Forum Thread: DBO Weapon Perk Guide

Inside the thread somehow split perks into three main categories:

Primary Perks
Special Perks
Heavy Perks

Then inside each of those start sub categories for each weapon type:

Auto
Pulse
Scout
Handcannon

Perks that are common to multiple weapons can be described/reviewed once and then linked to inside other categories to simplify.

Or would it be best to simply put them all in alphabetical order, or even group them by what they do (like all stability perks in a category)?

The reason I like categorizing by weapon type is because if I'm wanting to reroll, I have a quick way to see what is available for that weapon I may have that I'm wanting to try out.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:15 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

Start Forum Thread: DBO Weapon Perk Guide

Inside the thread somehow split perks into three main categories:

Primary Perks
Special Perks
Heavy Perks

Then inside each of those start sub categories for each weapon type:

Auto
Pulse
Scout
Handcannon

Perks that are common to multiple weapons can be described/reviewed once and then linked to inside other categories to simplify.

Or would it be best to simply put them all in alphabetical order, or even group them by what they do (like all stability perks in a category)?

The reason I like categorizing by weapon type is because if I'm wanting to reroll, I have a quick way to see what is available for that weapon I may have that I'm wanting to try out.

And also PvP vs PvE within the review section. I do like your idea, because even something like Who's Next? which shows up in multiple weapon types, the review totally changes. Machine gun? Shit. Hand Cannon? Mediocre. And so on.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:28 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

I was considering maybe 1 thread with separate posts for each weapon category? Just for easier navigation and character limit issues.

Do we have a character limit?

Also, can you link within a post? Or to a specific part of a post?

Separate post for each perk would be cool, if hard work

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:06 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

Perhaps we need to consult the grizzled ancients of DBO

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:22 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

Is it better to have a Forum thread, or an actual page of DBO. I've noticed looking at HBO that things like this are not a collection of forum posts but just different pages of the main site. The only difference is that we want something that is interactive with the community yes? Where they can comment or put in their own 2 cents about particular perks?

I'm just thinking of how big a thread could end up becoming with all the different perks and opinions of them.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:25 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

I don't know that it needs to be interactive so much as updateable. I think if everyone is able to add to it or tweak it that could get hectic/confusing. But if it could be edited to include new ideas and suggestions, as well as to reflect any updates to the game itsself, that would be cool.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 18:06 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

Is it better to have a Forum thread, or an actual page of DBO. I've noticed looking at HBO that things like this are not a collection of forum posts but just different pages of the main site. The only difference is that we want something that is interactive with the community yes? Where they can comment or put in their own 2 cents about particular perks?

I'm just thinking of how big a thread could end up becoming with all the different perks and opinions of them.

Forum posts are not great for something that is permanent yet ever-changing.

Why not some kind of google doc?

someotherguy, not to impose any responsibility on you, but haven't you already done a good bit of quantifying values in terms of the weapons?

I have... kind of

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 21:26 (3219 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by someotherguy, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 22:11

I was in the process of quantifying everything, starting from the White Weapons up, when I realised that patches and updates were going to make the workload constant and never-ending, so I kind of stopped after I figured out the base systems and rules that everything else follows.

Which means 3 things:

• If you ever want to know about pre-TDB White, Green or Blue weapons, I'm your man.

• I know some really weird things. For example, did you know that Auto Rifles and Scout Rifles all have the same delay between firing their final round and beginning the reload animation (0.4 seconds), but Sniper Rifles have a differing delay based on their rate of fire (higher RoF = shorter delay)? LMGs also have differing delays, but they are seemingly arbitrary (or possibly based on the physical model of the weapon. As in, what the gun looks like. Maybe?), while all Pulse Rifles have a delay of 0.53 seconds except the Psi Umbra II-A, which is 1 frame longer... because reasons?

Also weird - did you know that the BTRD-345 is not just a high-stability Legendary LMG, but is also a pre-HoW Green LMG (I think it was the one available from the Vanguard Armoury pre-order bonus)? It wasn't very good.

• On the bright side, it means I also know how some of the less transparent mechanics work - did you know that, in general, 2 points of reload speed equates to 1 frame of reload animation? So a gun with 50 reload speed only reloads 0.166666 recurring seconds (5 frames at 30 fps) faster than a gun with 40 reload speed? Handcannons don't follow this rule though, because Handcannons are cool and don't play by the rules.

More useful for general play - it is always, always more efficient to reload your shotgun back to maximum ammo before firing (assuming you sprint-cancel the annoying animation) than it is to load a single shell, fire, reload a single shell, fire, etc. Though of course, efficiency is fine and dandy but if it means the difference bwteen life and death, screw efficientcy and cancel the reload animation to shoot that nasty minotaur in the head-parts.

Sadly it also means that I'd need to start over if you wanted that level of specificity for new guns. That wouldn't be that hard, as there seem to be far fewer Legendaries than there are Rares, but honestly I feel like it would be overkill. It does lead me to one decision that would have to be made though - Because of the differing stats of each Legendary avilable, it would be far easier to talk about each archetype, but far more comprehensive to talk about each weapon on an individual basis.

For example, for a Swarm Archetype LMG I would usually say to stack Stability with Feeding Frenzy and increased magazine size. But the BTRD-345 already has great stability, so that would be a waste.

Similarly, the Dead Orbit Scout Rifle is inferior to the Crucible playlist's Shadow Scout Rifle. They benefit from a similar roll, but you could potentially do something slightly different with the Shadow because it has inherently superior stats.

Thoughts?

Oh, you

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 21:48 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

Data porn is best non-porn porn.

About that reload-delay you mentioned, does it shorten if you press reload?

Oh, you

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 22:09 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

It was impossible for me to reliably test, sadly. I was getting all my timings by counting frames of videos recorded using the PS4s DVR feature (because "the stopwatch method" is NOT acceptable. Stop using stopwatches Reddit. Jeese..) and there's no visual indication of exactly when the reload button is pressed, so I had no reliable starting point.

My best guess would be that reloading manually removes the delay, but that's purely qualitative, so take it with a bucket of salt.

Claude? ZackDark? Funcmon? :p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:40 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

I actually intended to write one way back, but never got around to it. Someone give me a good format to follow and somewhere to put it and I'm up for it.

I like the idea of it being collaborative though. I like the idea of multiple viewpoints, because I know we all have different preferences. I put stability above almost anything else on ARs, Pulse and Scout Rifles, for example. I know Cody likes Range and Power on his Fusion Rifles, while I prefer speed. And of course you love your Field Scout.

I am putting together a slick ranged master blaster fusion rifle montage, and when you see the distances you can one shot someone with full health from, you might change your tune. The T on Shores of Time? From the back of the T all the way to the bottom of the stairs. One shot kill. Twice for the double kill to prove its no fluke ;-p

Stay tuned. Should be ready in a few days.

No arguments from me

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:51 (3219 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Range is great on a FR, we just have different playstyles. I like toplay a lot more up close and personal; I loved Light of the Abyss before the nerf.

What, Do You Play Clash On The Actual Letters?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:29 (3219 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm joking, I just had to.

Ok, maybe half joking. I don't know. I'm guessing the T is at control point B?

You're probably right.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:55 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

That said, I believe Red Robber, Zero and I did very well in Trials (maybe Lighthouse?) while Red was using Hard Light.

My trip to the Lighthouse was with Zero and Wildthing. You are correct in that I rock out with Hard Light. My next fav for trials is Mythoclast. Neither of these are my normal go-to guns in the crucible either. But they work for me in Trials, so I use them.

I see a lot more "Oh, I didn't know explosive rounds didn't do extra damage to fallen and hive" or "Field Scout brings your ammo capacity to max?" "Final round procs on the last two shots of a field scout sniper?" and "Full auto doubles the fire rate of a shotgun?" stuff. This would be much more useful in a guide feature and less in a judgement feature.

I agree with this alot, but with sooooo many Destiny websites and youtube tutorial videos out there, I don't really see the need. If I want to get news on a perk or gun, I just search youtube till I find a vid that provides good proof to back up the claims.

What if we created a sticky thread with recommended links to sites and youtubers that have already done all the work for us?

YOUTUBE VIDEOS WORSE THAN WEBPAGES?!!!!!

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:01 (3219 days ago) @ red robber
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:07

youtubers

Ew.

What's up guys, it's ya boi FunkMONZ here with more DAILY Destiny forum posts! Today I thought I would tell you about my opinions on Youtube videos!

If I search for something, and all I come up with are youtube videos, unless I'm looking for proof of a particular claim, I just decide "Well, I guess I'll never know that."

When I go to a Destiny website and it's like "Top 5 best PVP Destiny guns!" and it's a youtube video, I think "guess I'm never going back to this website."

Now, while videos are useful, especially for kidlets (my nephew didn't know you could search for anything to find out information EXCEPT on youtube until a week ago when he looked up Dolly the sheep), there are downsides. For people like me, we don't bother since we can't find the information at our own pace. Search engines also cannot index the text of the youtube videos. If we want DBO to get a bit more traffic, it may be more useful to have a full text guide so that if people search "hidden hand destiny perk" they could get something other than a gamefaqs forum page, and potentially bring more users to the site.

Furthermore, although linking to stuff other people did is very e/n site or web 2.0 of us, there is something to be said for the DBO opinion, and make a guide by us for us.

For more DAILY destiny forum posts make sure to like comment and subscribe! Can we get 1100 LIKES for this post?! Hashtag nerfvidz!

YOUTUBE VIDEOS WORSE THAN WEBPAGES?!!!!!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:09 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

What's up guys, it's ya boi FunkMONZ here with more DAILY Destiny forum posts! Today I thought I would tell you about my opinions on Youtube videos!

For more DAILY destiny forum posts make sure to like comment and subscribe! Can we get 1100 LIKES for this post?!

Holy crap, you just nailed that. I even heard it in an outrageously thick UK accent, too. lmao

But I definitely agree. Youtube videos are too common. A searchable, in-depth text guide could really help out in more ways than one. If we're not doing the Tribunal thing, then this would be a great alternative.

I can't even view youtube videos

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:13 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

I'm on an older device and youtube just does. Not. Work.

So I'm in a similar boat that if it's in video form, I just won't see it.

It's also way easier to parse relevant information from text than a video, so there's that.

You're probably right.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:13 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

youtubers

Ew.

If I search for something, and all I come up with are youtube videos, unless I'm looking for proof of a particular claim, I just decide "Well, I guess I'll never know that."

When I go to a Destiny website and it's like "Top 5 best PVP Destiny guns!" and it's a youtube video, I think "guess I'm never going back to this website."

Now, while videos are useful, especially for kidlets (my nephew didn't know you could search for anything to find out information EXCEPT on youtube until a week ago when he looked up Dolly the sheep), there are downsides. For people like me, we don't bother since we can't find the information at our own pace. Search engines also cannot index the text of the youtube videos. If we want DBO to get a bit more traffic, it may be more useful to have a full text guide so that if people search "hidden hand destiny perk" they could get something other than a gamefaqs forum page, and potentially bring more users to the site.

Furthermore, although linking to stuff other people did is very e/n site or web 2.0 of us, there is something to be said for the DBO opinion, and make a guide by us for us.

That's why I was suggesting DBO submitted links :) For example I found this one last night that gives a pretty nice explanation of stability perks.

I can see your point too. We can probably produce better content with such a tight community who can critique work, and we generally know who we trust in such matters. I know that anything you say about field scout is generally wrong :) You don't need all that ammo, you are a better shot than you'll admit.

Field Scout is actually great for sustained DpS

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:18 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

It's just knowing when sustained DpS is necessary that's important. Bosses and high-level majors, typically.

LOL

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:16 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

youtubers

Ew.

For more DAILY destiny forum posts make sure to like comment and subscribe! Can we get 1100 LIKES for this post?! Hashtag nerfvidz!

Ok, now I want to subscribe to your youtube channel. That was like, cray cray. You my boi FuNkmonZ

LOL

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:31 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

Dude can't even make a video of a simple thing like eating a sock. What makes you think he would make a whole Youtube channel?

Heh

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:33 (3219 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

#EatThatSock

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:37 (3219 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

#EatThatSock

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 12:39 (3219 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

#FilmThatSock

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:00 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

#TwoMilesAway

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 14:06 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

Too much effort, imo.

#I'dWalkThatForTheSockVideo

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:05 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

#IWouldWalk500Miles

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:00 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

#JustDoIt

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 16:38 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

#MeetHalfway

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:23 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

In a public space. Where you can film the reactions of nearby innocents as a strange man eats a sock.

Halfway is a lake.

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:43 (3219 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

#EatThatSockInALake

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:52 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

So it'd be idyllic, even

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:54 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

And then they never listen when I answer them.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 19:54 (3219 days ago) @ Funkmon

youtubers

Ew.

Why do they always want to know what's up? And then they never listen when I answer them.

Throw everything away.

by ProbablyLast, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 23:20 (3220 days ago) @ Morpheus

Everything dies anyway.

Well, that escalated quickly

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 23:58 (3220 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Well, that escalated quickly

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 04:14 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

Eh. PvE is generally weapon indifferent. I'm having much more fun on a side account that has no good weapons than I am on my account where I have whatever weapon I want.

I couldn't care less about crucible. Get a shotgun with shot package.

You'll Be Crucible Expert #1.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 01:33 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

Throw everything away.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 19:58 (3219 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

We can perform an action only by closing off all other ways and depriving ourselves of everything we could have otherwise known or obtained. Every decision cuts off an infinite number of possible actions. And we cannot desist and suspend action, nor can we delay. If we do not act, something acts in us or outside us, and almost always against us

Throw everything away.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 20:01 (3219 days ago) @ Vortech

We can perform an action only by closing off all other ways and depriving ourselves of everything we could have otherwise known or obtained. Every decision cuts off an infinite number of possible actions. And we cannot desist and suspend action, nor can we delay. If we do not act, something acts in us or outside us, and almost always against us

...and that "something" is vault space.

Here's My Idea For This.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 02:18 (3219 days ago) @ Morpheus

Ok, I'm back.

I suggest we have a little form to fill out--again, I have no idea how the auto-complete works, but I'm willing to bet we can just save some time and space by only listing Rares, Legendaries and Exotics, am I right?

I don't know much about programming, but I used a form builder to demonstrate what I think would look good:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ihmp8q0ymwvoirw/ScreenShot050.jpg?dl=0

Anyway, once the form is completed, either an e-mail or a notification of some kind is sent to all members of the Council. They vote:

Keep it--for PvE or PvP
Reforge if possible--suggestions on what new perks to look for are crucial here
Delete it--reasons for that answer aren't required, but would more than likely help the person understand. Not just 'cuz it sucks' either.

Then results are sent back to the client in question. If the Council cannot come to a decision and becomes deadlocked--or the client does not agree with the choices made, they can take it public and ask DBO as a whole--what they should do with that weapon.

I know what you're thinking--We'll have to add in armor later. Considering the weapon to armor ratio, I'm sure it's a more sound decision to tackle the hardest part first. Flesh this out as a Beta. ;-)

Now, I'm going to need help on this as well. So far we have only one nominee. Don't forget, you can nominate yourself if you like. Just show us examples of why you think you can set aside personal preference for a professional and well thought-out opinion.

I'll also need help with making a page/programming needed to either integrate this with DBO, or to find an easily attractable offsite feature.

If everybody here is willing to see this become reality, we're going to have to pull some weight.

Here's My Idea For This.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 02:31 (3219 days ago) @ Morpheus

What, no live judgement with audience to scorn the defendant? No Cody in judge attire with curly wig? I am disappoint.

:p

In all seriousness, that should be quite sufficient. Maybe allow the perk fields to be entered by the client, as opposed to a drop-down list?

Here's My Idea For This.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 02:35 (3219 days ago) @ ZackDark

What, no live judgement with audience to scorn the defendant? No Cody in judge attire with curly wig? I am disappoint.

Hey, Cody's welcome to join. I don't know about the powdered wig, but he'd certainly pass judgement. XD

In all seriousness, that should be quite sufficient. Maybe allow the perk fields to be entered by the client, as opposed to a drop-down list?

The only problem I see with this is that the first person would immediately go 'it's the one where the gun does that thing when you pull the trigger' or some stupid spam or something. Less free space to write, less chance to spam.

Here's My Idea For This.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 11:38 (3219 days ago) @ Morpheus

I'd like to nominate Raichu for either this or to be part of the collaborative post Funkmon talked about.

He's probably the only person who can give reasonable advice on the Atheon's Epilogue model. If we're gonna be fair to all archetypes, he's got to be the ideal guy for that one.

Automate it!

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 20:15 (3219 days ago) @ Morpheus

Anyway, once the form is completed, either an e-mail or a notification of some kind is sent to all members of the Council. They vote:

Keep it--for PvE or PvP
Reforge if possible--suggestions on what new perks to look for are crucial here
Delete it--reasons for that answer aren't required, but would more than likely help the person understand. Not just 'cuz it sucks' either.

Then results are sent back to the client in question. If the Council cannot come to a decision and becomes deadlocked--or the client does not agree with the choices made, they can take it public and ask DBO as a whole--what they should do with that weapon.

I wonder, could we just automate this? Have the judges rate the perks for each weapon archtype & then calculate a rating for the weapon based on the perks it has? Perhaps it should show the judges "favorite/suggest ideal rolls"? Gee, we could even show the chance of getting that specific roll!

Edit: I guess there could be additional complexity that this wouldn't handle such as when a certain perk is better/worse when another perk is there. Such as Field Scout & Final Round kind of work against each other...

My essentials

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:26 (3219 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:29

Consider this a list of the absolutely essential, highly used weapons. There's others I keep around for fun, but these I can't do without:

Purifier VIII - Red Dot OAS, Spray and play, Hammer Forged. Beast of a fusion rifle. Use it as my main secondary in PvP.

The Calming - Red Dot ORS, Spray and play, hammer forged, who's next? Alternative for smaller maps. Great range and 2nd fastest charge time in the game. Reloads so fast the animation glitches out.

Vision of Confluence - Still my favorite Scout Rifle. Great on Cabal and Hive. Use it all the time in Crota, PoE, and night falls.

Truth - it's simply the best PvP rocket launcher in my opinion. Great in VoG during legions due to the huge blast radius.

Gjallarhorn - pretty self explanatory.

Messanger (adept) - The best legendary primary In PvP right now.

Hunger of Crota - Replacement for Gjallarhorn when using another exotic.

Thunder lord - Sick in non trials PvP with its huge magazine, kicks butt on arc burn.

Red Death - self explanatory

Mythoclast - really solid against the hive. Use it all the time.

Black Hammer - just a god tier sniper in PvP. Wastes bosses and tougher give knights.

Found Verdict - probably the best all round shotgun for PvE and decent is PvP.

BTRD 345 - Perfect balance, armor piercing, rodeo. Better stats than thunderlord but with less ammo. Solid alternative if using an exotic primary.

Radegast's Fury - Tripod, Javelin, grenades and horseshoes. Perfect roll on a perfect rocket launcher.

Thorn - obvious

Fatebringer - obvious

Corrective Measure - it's just really good in the vault.

Fang of Ir Yut - super solid on fallen and arc burn.

Praedyth's revenge - best PvP sniper Imo

Efrideet's Spear - arc, performance bonus, clown cartridge, field scout. Go to for arc burn, and has ridiculous ammo for PvE.

Infinite Theorem - alternative to thunderlord on arc burn.

Everything else I feel is just nice to have. Maybe my Devil you Know will be back on my must have list after the coming exotic hand cannon nerf ;-p

My essentials

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 18:25 (3219 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Everything else I feel is just nice to have. Maybe my Devil you Know will be back on my must have list after the coming exotic hand cannon nerf ;-p

I've ascended & have been running my TDYK lately. I've really enjoyed using it too! I'm super glad I kept it for sentimental reasons.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread