PS4 DBO crew... take a Journey! (Off-Topic)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 27, 2015, 18:53 (3217 days ago)

Journey just came out on PS4 last week. If you've played it already, you already know if you want to replay it. But if you haven't, I would highly recommend checking it out. It might be the most beautiful game I've every seen, and it is a joy to play. It is short... you can get through it in a couple hours or so. But the length serves the experience perfectly, and there are some interesting incentives to replay. It is also neat to see early hints at where games like Destiny would be heading with their "always online" player matching.

If you're curious, here's a little video I recorded of a segment early on in the game. There isn't much of a plot to spoil, but if you care about experiencing it all fresh for yourself, you should probably not watch this :)

Played it this weekend.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, July 27, 2015, 19:02 (3217 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

It's okay.

Art Direction was pretty. Sand tech was impressive. I still don't have a very good grasp of what the overall plot is. Definitely see what Destiny was trying to emulate in terms of running into random people in the world, except this does it WAY better because of it's linearity and objective-oriented level design.

Looking forward to ABZU.

Played it this weekend.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, July 27, 2015, 19:32 (3217 days ago) @ CyberKN

It's okay.

Art Direction was pretty. Sand tech was impressive. I still don't have a very good grasp of what the overall plot is. Definitely see what Destiny was trying to emulate in terms of running into random people in the world, except this does it WAY better because of it's linearity and objective-oriented level design.

Looking forward to ABZU.

I could write a thesis on all the stuff I think this game is "about", but I don't want to spoil it for anyone :) But I'll say I've cried like a baby all 3 times I've finished it. Something about it just gets to me really hard.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, July 27, 2015, 19:35 (3217 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Glad I'm not the only one. Got my white robe this weekend. I should get platinum next weekend.

It's an interesting port.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, July 27, 2015, 20:31 (3217 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think it's cool that they tried to subtly restructure the graphical makeup to adapt it to the boosted resolution and framerate, although the way things were tuned reduces the original gritty glittery and dreamy look to some degree.

We can all play it togeth…oh.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 01:27 (3217 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

PS4 DBO crew... take a Journey!

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 11:39 (3216 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Journey just came out on PS4 last week. If you've played it already, you already know if you want to replay it. But if you haven't, I would highly recommend checking it out. It might be the most beautiful game I've every seen, and it is a joy to play. It is short... you can get through it in a couple hours or so. But the length serves the experience perfectly, and there are some interesting incentives to replay. It is also neat to see early hints at where games like Destiny would be heading with their "always online" player matching.

If you're curious, here's a little video I recorded of a segment early on in the game. There isn't much of a plot to spoil, but if you care about experiencing it all fresh for yourself, you should probably not watch this :)

I started playing it a few days ago, and it's pretty fun so far. I wouldn't say I'm hooked yet, but I'll definitely finish it and give it a good shot at sucking me in.

And btw, if you're looking for another beautiful, really fun, and emotional "arcade" game, get Ori and the Blind Forest on XB1/Steam. Super fun.

- CC

Play it in one sitting if you can.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 11:50 (3216 days ago) @ CaneCutter

- No text -

How long would that take?

by CaneCutter @, Alabama, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 12:10 (3216 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

It took me about 2.5 hours

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 12:34 (3216 days ago) @ CaneCutter

- No text -

PS4 DBO crew... take a Journey!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, July 28, 2015, 15:57 (3216 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This is a podcast where someone who loves the game talks with people who had recently played it for the first time. it's a good think to hear after you have played it for the first time as it can reveal some of the hidden complexity in the game and its systems but also respects that each person has an individual experience that is unique to them.

Also, for reasons I don't want to reveal, if you have not played it before, play it now while there a lot of people playing it online each day.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread