Tales from the Lighthouse - Part 4 (Videos) (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 02:51 (3159 days ago)

This weekend, TheeChaos, Ottermack and I decided to do something a little different with our Trials of Osiris run; we Live-streamed it. Thanks to everyone who came along for the ride with us!

After last week's random map rotation, it was interesting going back to a single-map for the entire night. While part of me missed the way rotating through maps kept things fresh, there is something to be said for the long-term meta game that starts to form when you play the same map for 2.5 hours straight. You begin to develop a feel for exactly where your teammates are going to be in any given situation, which can be invaluable.

This week's run got off to a rough start. We won a few games, and lost a few games. Went up against a couple hardcore laggers, but several of our losses were due to being outplayed, fair and square. Slycrel commented that he enjoyed watching our losses more than our wins, because he felt he learned more. If you want to see it for yourself, here is our entire warm-up session (excuse the low-res, the video was pulled from my Twitch broadcast)

After an hour of warm-up games, we got to work on our Flawless ticket. Given how rough the night had been so far, we did not expect to make it all the way. But like Stella, we got our groove back.

One interesting thing about our flawless run; I had to go into full silent mode a couple matches in. Radio silence, so as not to disturb the baby sleeping 10 feet away from me. If you had told me a month ago that I would be able to do that and still go to the Lighthouse, I wouldn't have believed you. Thanks to our warm-up games, I didn't need to tell Chaos and Otter where I was going. They already knew. With my 2 teammates providing constant verbal chatter, the 3 of us were still able to maintain a solid understanding of our enemies' movements. On top of that, Cyber pointed out something funny (and after going back to the videos, I agree with him); apparently, I play better when I'm not talking. Perhaps months of playing without using my mic have developed a certain comfort zone for me. Or maybe communicating actually distracts me just enough to effect my play. Whatever the reason, I feel that I became substantially more effective when I stopped talking and focused on what I was seeing, and what my teammates were telling me.

For those who want to see some highlights without sitting through the entire broadcast, I saved a few particularly fun and exciting matches:

I'm also working on something special. I'm putting together a multi-view video using footage from Ottermack's, TheeChaos', and my perspectives, along with the audio from our party chat, so you can see the full team working in action. Hopefully it'll be helpful for any players or teams working on their positioning and flanking maneuvers.

How has everyone else's week in the Trials been?

Awesome

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, August 04, 2015, 04:18 (3159 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I'm glad you guys eventually made it. I only caught the first part and it was looking as rough as my Trials usually are.

How has everyone else's week in the Trials been?

Freaking. Awful.

So, par for the course. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread